We have just come back from a 2 week holiday, our first as a couple, and feel very happy with our stay at the RIU Tequila. The room was always clean and tidy, cleaned everyday without fail. The staff in the hotel were friendly and polite, particularly in the bars where service was always quick. We didn't take advantage of any of the hotel facilities except for the swimming pool. For the majority of our stay we dined in the main restaurant. The service here was on occasion slow and lacked personality - on more than one occasion we had to tidy our plates up and had them waiting before any staff would collect them. We dined at all 3 of the themed restaurants - the Japanese restaurant was by far the best for food quality. Service in the themed restaurant was very good and did not fail at any point. The food was good and varied although it did not match the menu provided. The Mexican restaurant's food was not as good, quite bland and lacked any mexican flavour which we were hoping for. The steak house was good but the quality again was lacking slightly. A nice touch was the fact that the head chef came around and made sure that everything was ok.
The beach was amazing and no shortage of loungers to use plus the added benefit of the helpful shuttle that operates daily between 09:00 and 13:00 and 15:00 - 18:00. The sea was beautiful and clean, a stark comparison to the coastline further along the beach outside private residences. If but a small criticism is that there were insufficient areas for smokers to put their cigarettes as the beach was littered with cigarette butts - as non smokers we found this a bit grim and took away from the beauty of the beach.
We went with Thomson and although no problem with the flights there and back we would warn of the lack of assistance of the reps on site. We weren't the only couple to experience problems caused by their incompetence - one couple paid for an upgraded flight but didn't get it. We went to them with a problem on day one yet a week later no resolution and after 2 weeks nothing.
We would recommend the walk from the hotel to playa del carmen along the beach and the Fusion bar on the beach there is an ideal stop off point for a Corona or two.
If you are a fan of 4 legged cuddly creatures then this is your hotel - the Coati population is vast and more than happy to make your acquaintence. They don't like lime or lemon but all other fruit is welcome. A word of warning though - if you choose to feed them be prepared for more to come and find you. Also watch out for leaving drinks out by the pool as they will have those as well.
Overall this was a wonderful hotel and we would recommend it to others and as a good location to spend a holiday. We really enjoyed ourselves and have come back with some amazing memories.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * Within the resort area Playacar along with the hotels Riu Palace Mexico, Riu Palace Riviera Maya, Riu Yucatan and Riu Playacar * Main building and 1-story buildings * Surrounded by 48,000 m2 / 57,600 sq. Yards of lush gardens * 800 m / 2,650 ft. From the beach (complimentary shuttle) * Complimentary sun loungers on the beach * 300 m / 990 ft. From Mexican Street * 55 km / 34 miles from Cancun Int'l Airport * Credit cards accepted: Visa, MasterCard ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotels.com, BookIt.com, Hotwire, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and TripOnline SA so you can book your ClubHotel Riu Tequila reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Clubhotel Tequila Hotel
- Riu Tequila Mexico
- Hotel Riu Tequila
- Riu Tequila Playa Del Carmen
- Rui Tequila
- ClubHotel Riu Tequila Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico