went to this hotel from 1st to 16th June 2012 with Thomson.
Firstly Thomson flight was excellent. We did upgrade to Premier so more legroom, films etc.
Read some previous reviews regarding lack of drink offers. The stewards will offer you the 1st round shortly after takeoff after that its up to you. They wont offer, but if you want to tuck in, just ask and they oblige. In a nutshell complimentary drinks mean all inclusive on demand.
Hotel itself was excellent. nice and clean, food great, no real problems. The 'Jungle' location posted a few problems mainly the pesky animals that tip up your drinks and rumage into your bags around the pool. I also thought whilst laying on the sunbed around the pool, that this hotel could be placed anywhere and because of the jungle location, you would not know where you are. where as if you laid by the Riu Yucatan down the road , you knew where you were. One look at the turquoise sea, white powdery sand and palmtrees, theres no mistaking where you were. Anyway, im rambling.
I will now explain the title of this review. We went here in June which is the wet season. I thought wet season meant a quick storm then clear up and blue sunny skies followed.
Now we may have been unlucky but we had a lot of cloud. Some days were thick dark storm clouds which made the atmosphere incredibly humid. This poses another problem regarding the location of this hotel. No sea breeze around the stage area made the weather at night very humid and unpleasant. we spent alot of the evenings at the yucatan where you get a nice sea breeze.
DOnt want to sound to negative about the Tequila. I would still stay here and also spend time at the yucatan. Next time we would probably return between march and October
We didnt go on any excursions, we were more than happy just lying on the beach watching the world go by, because when the sun does shine its gorgeous.
On the cloudy days we went to 5th Avenue. Not much to say about it really, you just get pestered to bits.
If you want to try something different at night, try Fusion beach bar just beyond the ferry terminal, and obviously on the beach, live music every night. Taxi ride from the hotel just 70 pesos.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * Within the resort area Playacar along with the hotels Riu Palace Mexico, Riu Palace Riviera Maya, Riu Yucatan and Riu Playacar * Main building and 1-story buildings * Surrounded by 48,000 m2 / 57,600 sq. Yards of lush gardens * 800 m / 2,650 ft. From the beach (complimentary shuttle) * Complimentary sun loungers on the beach * 300 m / 990 ft. From Mexican Street * 55 km / 34 miles from Cancun Int'l Airport * Credit cards accepted: Visa, MasterCard ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Cancelon and Evoline ltd so you can book your ClubHotel Riu Tequila reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Clubhotel Tequila Hotel
- Riu Tequila Mexico
- Hotel Riu Tequila
- Riu Tequila Playa Del Carmen
- Rui Tequila
- ClubHotel Riu Tequila Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico