“RIU Playacar Wedding/Vacation”
Review of Hotel Riu Playacar

Hotel Riu Playacar
Ranked #51 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed May 5, 2014

We stayed at the RIU Playacar 4/26-5/2/2014 and had our wedding on the beach on 4/30. Our entire group found the resort to be very nice! The set up was easy to understand and navigate (especially with a group of 40), pool was very nice, beach was gorgeous! We also stopped over at the RIU Yucatan and RIU Tequila a few evenings which were a nice change of pace.

For anyone thinking of having their wedding at any of these properties- I HIGHLY suggest it. The coordinators were AMAZING. Hands down. They made the entire wedding day fabulous! Our beach wedding was breathtaking! (We even attracted quite the crowd)

Great resort, great food! Fabulous vacation or destination wedding spot!

6  Thank Heidi1215

Reviewed May 3, 2014

Our first time at this resort, we love it, and found out that next year will no longer exist, it should be keeped as it is because is for a family resort too. Please think about keeping as a family resort, I am planing to go back next year with my family and stay at this resort. Tks L.B

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank Laura B
Reviewed May 1, 2014

We have stayed at a few Riu's (Vallarta, Cabo) over the past 15 years and the PlayaCar in PlayaDel Carmen has really gone down hill. When we started vacationing in Mexico this resort was our "go to" place to stay. It was vibrant and very clean. The landscaping is nice, as with all the Riu's. We stayed here at least 7 times, and is basically laid out the same as the other Riu's. I am sad to say that the Riu chain is quick to build new resorts but lack in maintaining the older ones. Over the years the price of this resort has gone up making it something to think about before maybe upgrading to the Palace, which have been added to this resort over the years.
In addition, we have never been told by the Staff that we can use out Riu points for free nights stay, and other amenities. In fact getting a balance on the points is a major pain....I am still trying to get my point balanace after speaking to another guest who told me that she had 3 free days based on her points! Our points have got to be up there for addtional stays after 10-12 stays over 15 years...finding out the balance is another story. For those having the same problem, contacting the Riu Customer Service, you will be directed to change your password to your account. I have attempted this serveral times (getting the same response) and I still cannot get access to my balance. Do not ask them to retrieve the points because you will get the same response. Frustrating to say the least!
The food is basically the same as other Riu resorts, so if you are looking for meals NOT made to feed the masses this is not the place to stay. Also the reservation process is also the same as other Riu resorts, which many reviewers feel it is a real pian to have to be up and in line by 7:00 a.m. in order to make reservations. Also depending upon the time of year_season some of the restruants are closed for dinner service.
We have never had an issue with the Staff, our first day the frig was not working and maintenance was right up to fix it. The bar was always stocked but do not count on top shelf selection. Front Desk Staff are nice but do not expect to exchange currency (Spain Management decision) so bring enough small $ to cover the stay. Money orders are o.k. but expect to receive Peso's in town by some merchants, The Front Desk will not make change for you in US dollars.
No elevators but Staff are very nice to bring you your luggage upon arrival and when leaving.
Also the sheets that the Riu uses are starched or bleached so they feel like sand paper, I bring my own sheets, which seems extreme but it makes for a comfortable sleep. The beds, which are two fulls put together are hard, another upgrade in this department would be worth the resorts positive reviews. The throws they use on the beds have not changed in the years we have been going here....another upgrade would be nice.
I hope this review does not sound to negative- I am just plain disappointed in the "oldness" of the resort, mostly based on the rooms, and the outdated amenities. It used to be so much more up to date based on the client wants and needs!

2  Thank brookees
Reviewed April 27, 2014

Have been to this resort 3 years in a row. Love it and am sad to see that they are tearing it down next spring to put in a more high end resort.
Love the fact that it has a Mexico décor, love the fact that it is a smaller resort, great beach, great food and price in our price range.
Likely will not return to the new resort because of the new price point and we are retirees with a fixed income. So sad to see this place go. Yes it does need some updating but to but another high end resort when there are already two Riu Palaces on the strip seems wrong to me. Why can't the average person have a nice beach front resort. The Yucatan renovations are awful. Way to modern, no Mexican feel at all. Sorry to see you go Playacar.

Room Tip: No tips as it is being torn down. But if you go before April 15 get a room facing the courtyard.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
6  Thank RileyOshawa
Reviewed April 25, 2014

Per other review, they seems to have good customer service, but it did not happen to us.

My husband rented a jet ski for 35 min but it was cut off in 21 min. We made a formal complaint at front desk and supposed to be got back by end of our stay that never been made.

Drink at room is supposed to be filled every other day, but we did not get any. After we contacted front desk they blamed on us that we probably had red tag at door. We did not. I had to grab a drink delivery employee and had him to deliver.

Several misreading on hotel amenities and services, riu.com and expedia.com. It shows Kayak is free but they charge.

One of front desk employee was so unhelpful. His answers are always no or wrong.

It must be for somebody else but not us. We won't go back again.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank mkubo
Reviewed April 24, 2014

Sunwing rep directed us to this resort an it was an A1 resort.The staff helped an answered every question we had,the room was great,the atmosphere was always very happy with smile's everywhere.A 1 minute walk from room to walkway an to the beach which was perfect.The food is different to our's but the buffet had something for everyone an food was good,much better dishes than what we usually eat at home.We both enjoyed our week,from the flight,the hotel,the food,the employees all were great an we now are planning to go back again next winter.Was a great week,very much enjoyed,thank you to sunwing and to the hotel an people at the Riu Playacar,was a needed vacation an everything A1

Room Tip: choose room on 2nd or 3rd floor just to sit on balcony to see shy line,as we were on south side an t...
4  Thank Greg T
Reviewed April 22, 2014

After much research we finally settled on this little gem. Things I liked about it was the easy layout, beautiful grounds, the relatively small size of the resort (under 500 rooms, I think) the beach is outstanding, the ease of walking into PDC, the small shopping area right across the street, the nightly entertainment in the lobby, I can go on and on. We had room 6319 which faced North, towards neighbouring hotel. Extremely quiet. The room itself was great and plenty of closet space! I loved the older Mexican feel to the place. I also like outdoor eating while there and the lunch buffet area was perfect! Although the Yucatan is new it is too trendy and shiny for me. We did go for a walk on the beach one morning and stopped there for breakfast. But I like smaller more authentic places. That being said I did not enjoy 5 th Ave this year. Too much of the same everywhere you look. We tried to rent bikes from the hut located at Riu Tequilia but it was closed when we got there at 5:00. We even asked at the front desk before going, just too bad they didn't know the hours. Beach chairs were never an issue, they seemed to have plenty, although nobody moved our stuff they did move our chairs one day!!!
I thought it was a nice touch that many times throughout the day a bartender would make the rounds with a huge tray full of cold beverages :). The only grumpy people we came across were
other travellers! ALL the staff we interacted with were Superb!!! Especially Johney, Karen, Antuane, Froy, Jorge, Maria, Luis, I'm almost sorry to mention just these few as I know we have forgotten some! Glad I had the experience of enjoying this resort before it's gone:(

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
#30 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
The Reef Coco Beach
The Reef Coco Beach
#102 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Hotel Riu Playacar? Share your experiences!