We have recently returned from a 2 week stay in August 2013 in this lovely hotel.It is well planned so that everywhere is easily accessible: the lobby bar, restaurants, entertainment, pool and beach. There is only one path that links up all the places so nowhere is very far.
Our room was quite large with 2 double beds pushed together. We arrived to a lovely towel animal on the bed woth ribbons and a balloon and a new little animal arrived each day - at one point we had a little collection of 5 !!!!! There is a mini bar which is topped up every 2 days (optics in the bathroom with vodka, rum tequila and brandy) tip - if you want more water for a trip and havent used the 2 bottles you have in the fridge just remove them out of sight and you'll get 2 more.The room was always cleaned well and towels replaced daily.
There is a lot of entertainment during the day for those who like to be active but no pressure to join in if you just want to chill on the beach or by the pool. The animation team work exceptionally hard to ensure everyone has a great time.
There are 2 pools with plenty sunbeds so no need to get up early if you dont want to however you may need to keep moving as the sun moves to avoid the palm trees unless you don't like HEAT!! The beach is beautiful - soft white sand and gorgeous turquoise blue sea. You can actually go quite a longway out and still stand up - a lovely way to cool off when it gets tooooo hot.
The food is also really good with lots of choice in the buffet restaurant as well as the Steak house, Mexican and Japanese restaurants. Friday night in the buffet restaurant is Mexican night so don't book the separate restaurant as there is more choice in the buffet. We tried the Steak house and the Mexican which were both really good but didnt try the Jade as we dont like sushi, however there are theme nights in the buffet and we had a selection of chinese one night from there which was lovely. The staff in the main restaurant are really helpful especially if you sit on the left hand side as you go in, Hector was so attentive with drinks and tidying away plates etc.
We used to go for a drink before dinner each evening at the La Cumbia bar which for some reason was really quiet but we were able to chat to the staff about the cocktails and local places they use- Jorge and Juan were really friendly and helpful - much better than being crowded in the lobby bar which isn't very big.
The evening entertainment was also worth watching - it didn't start until 9.45 so plenty time to fit in drinks, dinner and more drinks before it starts. We saw Chicago. Grease, a Michael Jackson tribute, a fantastic Mayan night and others. Definitely worth watching.
The only downside for me was the mosquitos- although they always get me wherever I go- however even with the local mozzie spray and an ankle band I ended up with over 40 mozzie bites - they even get you while you're in bed with the aircon on!
All in all a fantastic holiday, definitely would recommend this lovely little hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * In the Playacar resort area, along with the Riu Palace Mexico, Riu Palace Riviera Maya, Riu Yucatan and the ClubHotel Riu Tequila hotels * Main building and 8 annexed buildings * Located on the beach * Complimentary sun loungers on the beach * Surrounded by 21,000 m2/25,000 sq. Yards of tropical gardens * Mexican Street, next to Riu Yucatan * 100 m/325 ft. From various shops * 55 km/34 miles from Cancun Int'l. Airport ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Travelocity, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Prestigia, RIU Hotels and Resorts, getaroom.com and TripOnline SA so you can book your Hotel Riu Playacar reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Playacar Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Riu Playacar Playa Del Carmen
- Riu Playacar Reviews
- Playacar Hotels
- Riu Playacar Mexico
- Rui Playacar
- Hotel Riu Playacar Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico