“Beautiful beach”

Ranked #50 of 214 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Smithfield, Utah
“Beautiful beach”
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Good price, nice resort. Everyone was so friendly! The king room was large with the biggest bed I have ever seen! The bed was very hard, but we slept really well. Gratuities are supposed to be included, but I saw a lot of tipping going on, I was so confused! The beach is beautiful, the water warm. There are many water activities that are free.there is a money exchange place across the street that had a better exchange rate than the airport. The food is plentiful and good. This is a small resort, it was not crowded, it is generally quiet except around the pool. Lots of bilingual staff. I would recommend this resort to a friend and I hope to return in the future.

Room Tip: Upper floors are walk up. Rooms on north side have private balconies.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank D'Anne M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (563)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Midlands UK
Reviewed October 16, 2012

Stayed first 2 weeks in Oct 2012 with my wife. 3rd visit to Mexico and 1st to this hotel. Travelled on a package tour with Thomson Holidays from East Midlands airport. Have stayed at other A.I.s in Mexico and in Europe.
Planes – outbound journey spoiled by a wedding party of 91 people. 87 of them were fine. Despite being warned by the cabin crew on at least 4 occasions they continued to be loud and disruptive. Only after I told the cabin crew that if they did not get a hold on the situation I would be talking to the Captain did they eventually sort it out. Inbound we upgraded to premium class, to avoid the party, with the only bad bit being the hard uncomfortable seats (Thomson operate 767-300s on this route but from May 2013 will be using the new Boeing 787 Dreamliner).
Transfer and check in – took about an hour and was as efficient as it could be.
Room – ground floor of 3 with balcony. Very spacious and nice all inclusive minibar with spirits on optics. Air con worked very well and all was very clean and tidy with excellent maid service each day. Mosquito’s did appear most days after maid service so watch for them and destroy is my advice. Decor and furnishings in good order. Beds are harder than most but were to out liking and we slept well as the well constructed building did not transmit too much sound. No view from balcony as is the case with around 98% of all the rooms at this hotel which was not a problem as we did not go away to spend time in a hotel room. Flat screen TV with 30 channels and a few English language ones. There is no room service. Overall very happy with room. Nothing was broken or broke down while we were there. There were no power cuts.
Staff - all friendly and helpful and no complaints from us whatsoever.
Breakfast – served in main buffet, 7 to 1030, and always loads on offer. No one could have that amount of choice at home and most things were good quality too.
Lunch and snacks – served in the area nearer to the beach and similar most days but plenty of choice and always something interesting
Dinner Buffet – sometimes themed and always good quality food. Themed area provided the required variation with some other items always available. So long as you have a wide horizon when choosing what to eat you could easily not have the same meal twice in 14 days. If you are a picky eater then best not to go AI as the economy of scale means there will always be some repeats.
Mexican a la carte – not much choice and after one visit decided no more. Probably the lowest food point of the holiday. Not even spicy!
Steak a la carte – not a true a la carte as only the mains had a choice. We both had a nice sirloin but as steak was often available in the other facilities we decided not to bother again
Asian – mix of Japanese and Chinese in a separate air conditioned room. Enjoyed this so much we went 3 times.
Overall we enjoyed the food greatly and were impressed by choice and presentation. We ate out twice but only because we were not at the hotel at lunch time on those occasions.

Pools – one noisy with animation team in attendance and one quieter. Quieter but with overspill of the animation teams microphone shouting and boring repetitive Mexican music at times. Otherwise good and good clean water quality in the quiet one which we used. Always kept clean and tidy with lots of beds in the sun or shade as required. Not even the Germans needed to put towels out early here or on the beach as you could easily get one anytime – though some still did towel up early! The animation team were hard working and kept up varied activities for all age ranges. I just wished that they had diected the speakers more to the noisy pool and maybe turned them down a little.

Beach – white cool sand, shallow clear water and palm trees – could not ask for or expect more in this location. Tried the jet skis, which were great fun, for 660 Pesos per 30 minutes. Lots of other water activities available, some free and some not.

Bars – lobby has a great cocktail and beer bar with very hardworking staff producing a great array of cocktails and none mixed drinks. Open from 9 am to 7am every day. Despite an earlier review be assured that the premium brands are genuine as I saw the seals being broken on many occasions including on the Jonny Walker Red Label
Did not use pool swim up bar. Theatre/snack bar bar – too chaotic and took a while to get served.
Drinks are rarely available by waiter/waitress service to table other than at mealtimes.

Entertainment – in the lobby bar area there was occasional live entertainment from a band or a singer and this was of good quality and created a nice ambience.
The semi open theatre area provided a nightly show lasting about 30 minutes with padding either side. At the start the animation team would hand out the days prizes for various activities that day and get on stage any birthday or anniversary celebrants. After the show the MC had the annoying habit of getting the audience to clap for the female performers and then the males and then all over again as individuals and then to pad it out even more he introduced the animation team and the bar staff – yes every night! The dancers and performers were very professional and good dancers but many of the shows were just the same dancers doing the same moves in a different order to different music from the night before. It was OK but not if you went every night.

According to my wife the report above is very factual and she is right as it is mostly facts with a little of my opinion thrown in. You can only tell it as you see it after all. In fact we both thoroughly enjoyed our holiday and would have liked to have stayed on for a little longer. The other British people we spoke to at the time were all very happy with the hotel.
There are currently 3 other Rius you can use in the area with a Riu Playacar wristband. The Yucatan – we had a look and it seemed OK but not enough for us to stay for a drink even. The other 2 we did not visit at all but noted that a few guests from those 3 were regularly at the Playacar. We believe we chose the best Riu in Playacar. Your wristband also allows use of the facilities in 2 other Rius in Cancun if you happen to go there which we did not.
The future – it is widely known that sometime in 2014 that there is a plan to level this hotel and turn it into a new top level Riu and when you see the location and the beach this makes sense. We are sad though to realise that this means that we can never go back there as we do not have time to do so in 2013. We recommend you go there if you have the chance.
Certainly not terrible for kids but I would suggest that this hotel is more suited to couples and groups over 30 years old that are not looking to party or find a holiday romance.

Room Tip: First room number digit is which of 6 blocks it is in with 5 and 6 being nearest to pool and beach a...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
13 Thank TimboMidlandsUK
Bolton
Reviewed October 14, 2012 via mobile

Just got back from two weeks staying at the Riu Playacar 30th Sept - 12th Oct. we went as a party of four, two adult couples and we loved it. Our rooms were great, I got the impression that they had been refurbished fairly recently. Access to our two rooms was through one communal door, this opened into a small hallway where our two individual room doors were, all three doors were lockable. This set up would be ideal for families where you can have a separate room for the kids whilst still being in your own private contained area separate from the main corridors.
We didn't have any issues with the beds, mattress toppers were already in place when we arrived, in fact we found the beds to be very comfortable. There was plenty of storage in the rooms, two sets of bedside cabinets with three drawers in each, a dressing table with three drawers and a large wardrobe, at least 8 feet wide, with loads of hanging space as well as plenty of hangers and a full width shelf in the top.
As you would expect the rooms are air conditioned but they also have ceiling fans so a comfortable temperature was easy to maintain.
We did have our own balcony with table and two chairs although we didn't use then that much, choosing to keep the doors closed to avoid letting the mosquitoes in after getting bitten during the first night.
In each room there was an iron and ironing board and, another nice touch, an umbrella which came in very useful in our first week.
The food was very good and plentiful. Breakfast served in the main dining room 7.00 till 10.30, after that continental breakfast was still available at the poolside restaurant until it was replaced by the lunchtime buffet. I think this finished around 16.00 but you could still get light snacks of tortilla chips and cheese sauce or popcorn right through until the evening meals were being served.
We tried the speciality restaurants, ' the steak house' waiter service, where we did hear some people complaining that the steaks weren't very big (choice of 6oz sirloin, or 8oz ribeye if I remember correctly) apparently they'd been expecting something decidedly larger, I seem to remember somewhere in the region of 20oz being mentioned (blimey, I'd have meat sweats for a week if I ate a steak that big!) ' The Mexican ' where although the food isn't that different to that of the main restaurant, the fact that it's waiter service makes it a bit more special. 'The Asian' where the food is Chinese rather than Indian, again just a bit different to the main restaurant, especially when you take into account the deep fried ice cream, it was delicious.
Drinks are available all day every day, the none alcoholic cocktails are great during the day, banana mamas being my favourite. Come evening time after a hard day at the beach, it's nice to sink a couple of stronger ones, piña coladas, la mumbas, whatever takes your fancy. The alcohol quality is good, better than any other all inclusive I've experienced.
We never got round to sampling the evening entertainment first hand (although we could hear it in our rooms) because invariably after a lazy day on the beach, a couple of those cocktails and a satisfying evening meal we were usually way too exhausted to do anything other than seek out our comfy beds for a good nights rest.
Finally the very best thing about this hotel has to be the people who work there. The Mexican people are so friendly and helpful. Reception staff, waiters, bar staff, cleaners, managers, chefs, absolutely everyone, they cannot do enough for the guests and whatever they do they do it with a smile.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
9 Thank jimnychris
St. Charles, Mo
Reviewed October 13, 2012

We traveled with our 2 kids and another family and we picked this resort because of the price and because we liked the idea of it being a smaller resort. There are some good things about this place...mainly the beach. It’s really beautiful and the water is gorgeous. Very little seaweed, no rocks and crystal clear water. Lots of loungers and we never had an issue finding a place close to the water. The grounds in the resort are pretty and kept up nicely. We had a junior suite facing the "theater" in building 5 and it was fine. Nice and close to the pool. Do not request this area of the resort if you have trouble sleeping thru loud music though! It goes until about 11:30 every night. Housekeeping did a great job and if there were any special requests, they were granted. We got a few little towel animals thru the week which the kids enjoyed. The beds are HARD....no question about it! When I read a lot of the other reviews about the beds, I figured "how bad can they be"? They were very uncomfortable (even with the foam toppers) and the pillows are like sleeping on a bag of rocks.

The food is pretty much the same thing every day with a couple new items thrown in. I am not a picky eater, but I was really tired of the choices after only a couple days. The themed restaurants weren't much better. It was basically a main dish with the same things from the buffet thrown in. I guess we liked the Asian the best because it had a little variety. Be sure to try the cappuccino…yum!

The alcohol in the resort is plentiful and if you ask for a premium liquor, they are happy to give it to you, but we often wondered if they just poured the cheap stuff into the premium bottle or watered it down! (Funny how a full bottle of Johnny Walker Red looks like the label is almost worn off from all the handling and doesn’t taste anything like what you are used to) With all the drinking we did we should have been on the floor drunk, but never felt a thing! One thing they really need is either a beach bar or beach waiter for drinks!

We celebrated my daughter’s birthday while we were there and the staff brought her out a cake and sang to her which was nice. They also decorated our room with balloons. The rest of the service was okay, nothing really memorable. I never felt like anyone went above and beyond or was very friendly except for a couple of the bartenders we got to know thru the week. One thing we did notice (and it’s not the resorts fault) is that there were a lot of rude people staying there. While waiting in line at the buffet, people would just walk up and reach in front of you or push you out of the way. Or when walking down the main path, they would basically run you off the road. Rarely did we hear an “excuse me” or a hello when you said hi to someone. There are not a lot of Americans there and we kind of felt like second class citizens. Never noticed this at any other resorts. Weird!

The pool area is nice and there were a lot of lounge chairs, but by the end of the day, it looked like the water could use a good cleaning, especially near the pool bar. We did enjoy the nightly shows at the theater. Each night was different and they were entertaining. The entertainment staff worked hard, but there didn’t seem to be as many activities going on as there had been in previous resorts we stayed at, especially for the kids.

The shopping area across the street was very convenient and we did walk over there a few times. We also went into Playa (5th Ave) one day to shop. Lots of vendors, restaurants, stores and price haggling if you are into that. It’s definitely something worth seeing! The free internet in the lobby was okay…had problems with the servers going down a couple times. We also walked over to the Yucatan for lunch one day. It’s a lot bigger and I thought it looked nicer than the Playacar, but the food was basically the same.

I would like to say...although this review may sound like it, I am not an overly picky person. We read a ton of reviews before deciding to try this resort. We went with open minds and we were not expecting that everything was going to be perfect. We try to keep the "make the best out of the situation" attitude but this is our third trip to Mexico and compared to the other places we stayed, this resort is just lacking. I would probably not recommend this resort, when there are so many others in the area.

Room Tip: Buildings 5 and 6 are closest to the pool, beach and theater area
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank leDeal
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed October 12, 2012

I stayed here Sept. 15 to 21 with a close girl friend. We chose Riu because my friend had been to Riu Tequila a couple of times before and enjoyed it. I wanted to be close to the beach.

When we got there, we had to wait a couple of hours before the room was available. No biggie, there's a bathroom near the lobby where you can change. We were able to get a 3rd floor room as we requested. It was in building 4, 3rd floor, room 4308.

The next day I had three bites at the back of my neck but didn't realize right away that those were from bed bugs. I also had two bites near my face (grosses me out thinking about it!).

The second night, my friend suddenly thought to herself that my bites might be from bedbugs because of the unusual location and the fact that we hadn't been in Mexico long enough and I didn't have bites anywhere else... so she asked if I would freak out if she started checking for them? I said no, please go ahead (this was past midnight and I was already in bed). So she started taking off the covers to check... and lo and behold found bed bugs!! UGGGHHH.

Immediately we started stuffing our bed clothes into bags, changed to fresh set of clothes and went to the lobby. This was around 1 AM. We asked for a new room, and thankfully they had one. The guy at reception tried to wave it off and tried to say they were not bed bugs, but my friend has experienced bed bugs before, years ago, so she knows what to look for. He gave us a room on the first floor of building 3 and didn't offer to help us move.

So, on our second night, at 1 AM we were packing all our stuff, lugging them down the stairs from the 3rd floor and moving into another room (we checked the new room for bed bugs before we unpacked again!)

The second room had better AC but the sink drain kept getting clogged and two days there was a NASTY sewer smell. It was also too noisy in the morning there is no chance of sleeping in past 7:30 AM.

Also, as mentioned in other reviews, the beds are hard. I'm in my early thirties - if I'm going on vacation, I really think I should be able to sleep as well as I do at home - it doesn't feel like a vacation if I'm not looking forward to going to bed!!!! "This is Mexico, accept it" is not an excuse. I grew up in a third world country and my beds there were better than the ones at this hotel - so, sorry, not acceptable.

Yes, this was cheap. But no, it wasn't worth it... I would not return. There are other "cheap" places where I can get better. The STRESS of bed bugs is not worth it. I had to boil all my clothes (including my swimsuits) when I got home and I left my suitcase in my car's trunk as a precaution. I have been vacuuming every day since I got home and checking for bites. Every single speck of dust in my bedroom makes me worry that I have bedbugs. If you've ever been bit by bedbugs, then you know what I'm talking about. If you haven't, just do a quick google search and at least educate yourself.

Loved the beach at the Riu Playacar and I can see why people would return for it. But again, there are other beautiful beaches in Mexico and around the world.

The food was so-so, nothing to write home about. I didn't starve, but that's because I'll eat anything and it was all inclusive. I really wouldn't return for the food here. If it wasn't all inclusive and I had to pay extra for it, I would be very unhappy.

The entertainment was better at Riu Tequila - we walked there most nights to catch the shows.

In summary, I would NEVER return to any of the Rius... I'd rather spend a couple more dollars and stay at a nicer hotel. I know bedbugs are everywhere, even the nicer hotels, but even without bedbugs, I wouldn't spend any more money here - I would like to try the other hotels in the area.

Room Tip: Don't stay in 4308 - bed bugs!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
8 Thank SunSandSea_and_Me
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 10, 2012

Myself, other half and 12 yr old son visited this hotel 5th to 19th August 2012. Thomson flight was OK but a fairly old plane and looked a bit dusty and tired. As usual, an upgrade required to access some of the movies but also to watch the other programmes from the beginning!
One tip is to avoid mexicans in arrivals in Cancun trying to sell timeshare - they accosted us by saying they were with Thomson and where were we staying etc...they were very 'in your face' and it's a nuisance after a 9 and half hour flight. You will find the Thomson rep easily.
Hotel check in fast and easy and room OK although ours bit cramped as we had an extra single bed. Really clean and fridge regularly stocked with water, soft drinks and beer. There are optics of tequila, vodka etc but it's not good!
Plenty of sunbeds for everyone, food absolutely brilliant, can't fault it and we've been to quite a few all inclusive hotels and the staff are amazing - I can't praise them enough!
Loads of positives about this holiday and hardly any negatives - the only negative is our own fault really and that was that it was too commercial for us with lots of jet skis, water sports and planes flying over advertising some club or other. I was a bit of a nuisance only being able to venture within the marked off area of the sea outside our hotel but if you turn right and walk for 10-15 mins you will find a lovely quite area to swim and snorkel.
it's very quick to walk into Playacar to 5th avenue and the shopping area but beware of sky high prices in bars and restaurants...the price lists are very well hidden so best to check this out before you start!
Weather was great 2nd week but 1st week we caught the back end of a hurricane and had 1 day of solid rain and then outbursts throughout the 1st week but it wasn't a big problem- if anything it's a break from the scorching sun.
Overall t his was a great holiday and the only thing we would change if we returned would be to find a quieter hotel.

Room Tip: We stayed in the block nearest the evening entertainment but was fine and nearer to beach/pool area
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank Angela H
Reviewed October 9, 2012

I loved staying here, the people since the lobby until the ones cleaning were súper friendly, the bartenders, the waiters, everybody were so helpful and kind, the location of the resort was great, with its beach, so beautiful, and the playacar ville is also so pretty and big, i like the fact that with the all inclusive can go to the others Rius in playacar, to enjoy the meals and shows, also the night shows were fabulous, you have to watch it and stay to the dance... The food was also great!! So much variety... In general a great expiriencie besides it rains 2 of the 4 days we stayed there!!

• Stayed September 2012
Hotel Riu Palace Mexico
Hotel Riu Palace Mexico
#28 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,403 reviews

Been to Hotel Riu Playacar? Share your experiences!