Just got back from two weeks staying at the Riu Playacar 30th Sept - 12th Oct. we went as a party of four, two adult couples and we loved it. Our rooms were great, I got the impression that they had been refurbished fairly recently. Access to our two rooms was through one communal door, this opened into a small hallway where our two individual room doors were, all three doors were lockable. This set up would be ideal for families where you can have a separate room for the kids whilst still being in your own private contained area separate from the main corridors.
We didn't have any issues with the beds, mattress toppers were already in place when we arrived, in fact we found the beds to be very comfortable. There was plenty of storage in the rooms, two sets of bedside cabinets with three drawers in each, a dressing table with three drawers and a large wardrobe, at least 8 feet wide, with loads of hanging space as well as plenty of hangers and a full width shelf in the top.
As you would expect the rooms are air conditioned but they also have ceiling fans so a comfortable temperature was easy to maintain.
We did have our own balcony with table and two chairs although we didn't use then that much, choosing to keep the doors closed to avoid letting the mosquitoes in after getting bitten during the first night.
In each room there was an iron and ironing board and, another nice touch, an umbrella which came in very useful in our first week.
The food was very good and plentiful. Breakfast served in the main dining room 7.00 till 10.30, after that continental breakfast was still available at the poolside restaurant until it was replaced by the lunchtime buffet. I think this finished around 16.00 but you could still get light snacks of tortilla chips and cheese sauce or popcorn right through until the evening meals were being served.
We tried the speciality restaurants, ' the steak house' waiter service, where we did hear some people complaining that the steaks weren't very big (choice of 6oz sirloin, or 8oz ribeye if I remember correctly) apparently they'd been expecting something decidedly larger, I seem to remember somewhere in the region of 20oz being mentioned (blimey, I'd have meat sweats for a week if I ate a steak that big!) ' The Mexican ' where although the food isn't that different to that of the main restaurant, the fact that it's waiter service makes it a bit more special. 'The Asian' where the food is Chinese rather than Indian, again just a bit different to the main restaurant, especially when you take into account the deep fried ice cream, it was delicious.
Drinks are available all day every day, the none alcoholic cocktails are great during the day, banana mamas being my favourite. Come evening time after a hard day at the beach, it's nice to sink a couple of stronger ones, piña coladas, la mumbas, whatever takes your fancy. The alcohol quality is good, better than any other all inclusive I've experienced.
We never got round to sampling the evening entertainment first hand (although we could hear it in our rooms) because invariably after a lazy day on the beach, a couple of those cocktails and a satisfying evening meal we were usually way too exhausted to do anything other than seek out our comfy beds for a good nights rest.
Finally the very best thing about this hotel has to be the people who work there. The Mexican people are so friendly and helpful. Reception staff, waiters, bar staff, cleaners, managers, chefs, absolutely everyone, they cannot do enough for the guests and whatever they do they do it with a smile.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * In the Playacar resort area, along with the Riu Palace Mexico, Riu Palace Riviera Maya, Riu Yucatan and the ClubHotel Riu Tequila hotels * Main building and 8 annexed buildings * Located on the beach * Complimentary sun loungers on the beach * Surrounded by 21,000 m2/25,000 sq. Yards of tropical gardens * Mexican Street, next to Riu Yucatan * 100 m/325 ft. From various shops * 55 km/34 miles from Cancun Int'l. Airport ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, RIU Hotels and Resorts, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Expedia, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com and TripOnline SA so you can book your Hotel Riu Playacar reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Playacar Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Riu Playacar Playa Del Carmen
- Riu Playacar Reviews
- Playacar Hotels
- Riu Playacar Mexico
- Rui Playacar
- Hotel Riu Playacar Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico