“A fair review of Sandos Caracol Resort and what to expect...”

Sandos Caracol Eco Resort
Ranked #84 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersSilver level
Alberta
“A fair review of Sandos Caracol Resort and what to expect...”
Reviewed December 29, 2009

Going to try and keep this review short as I have a tendency to write novels on here;

Arrived at Cancun Airport and within the hour was through security, customs, and aboard an air conditioned bus bound for the resort. Sandos Caracol will likely be the first stop the bus will make if there are people bound for several resorts and it is about a 40min ride from the airport. Check in was fairly easy, and within 15 or 20 minutes was unpacking in my room.

The room; I signed up for the Sandos Club card before wondering what the upgrades are if any, and as I expected, the Sandos Club card is nothing except a way to solicit an e-mail address and mailing address. Upgrades will be given upon request if they have room, and they won't be if they don't have room. Simple as that. As far as any other benefits, there are none unless you pay a little extra to get a Sandos Select Club membership. As far as Select Club goes, some might want to go in for it, some might not, I believe all the benefits are; 24hr room service (limited to the snack bar), Access to the private beach club with drinks right on the beach instead of a 50-200 foot walk, a less-busy internet area in the beach club, and better times for a la carte restaurants. Some nice stuff actually, but I am cheap. You can try basic and then pay 20 buck a day for the services too if you like. That's my best advice. Hell, ever give them some bad noise at front desk and ask for a gold bracelet and they'll give it you if you just want the beach club.

So, anyhow, the rooms; there are 3 types in the resort; Standard queen rooms/king rooms, Deluxe King (includes jaccuzzi in room), and Junior Suite (with balcony jacuzzi). I found my room to be very nice and clean. There was no real view but kind of what I liked about the resort was that is was less a competition for ocean vistas and more just private buildings tucked away around a forested garden park. Only the third floor rooms clear the tree line (all buildings are 3 storey). Double sinks in the rooms, clean towels and linens daily, soaps shampoos as you use them up. Fair sized rooms with a somewhat fuzzy tv. Clean but firm bed. AC worked very well in my room. Large tiled shower stall, no bathtub. No smells I would say 5 star on the cleanliness in my room.

The Restuarants; Did not eat at any a la cartes, the buffets had very good hours and fair variety, good tasty food. Enough of a selection to please vegetarians to carnivores. Nothing special but it was perfectly fine. Snack bar is not horrible, but basic salsa, burgers, hotdogs, basic salads, ice cream machine. Enough to munch if something was closed.

The Excursions; Did not look good and did not book through the hotel. This is especially important if you plan to go to Chichen Itza (read my review of private tour of Chichen Itza with Carlos Diaz if you would like a cheap and great way to go). As for divers, the hotel shop was amateurish and seemingly more like buying tickets to a ride than a professional school of divers interested in showing a small group the wonders of the ocean reef and teaching you diving skills and technique to maximize your bottom time and comfort underwater. See my review of Mexico Blue Dream (the #1 rated excursion of ANY kind of excursion in this part of Mexico. Well priced, incredible service and professionalism, among the best dive shops I have ever experienced.

The Beach: Fair sized beach, with beach soccer and volleyball throughout the day. Animation crew is far too animated trying to steer you off to the next sport when you're just trying to relax or enjoy a little exercise. Lots of standard chairs and a bar within a minute or two. There is a constat strong surf to this side of the Mexican coast but there are some surf breakers out to calm the water a little, although the water is always cloudy. A few rocks too. Kids will love it, some adults will prefer the pool or Mamitas Beach in Playa.

The Resort: The theme of the resort is basically a resort set amongst a garden-like park or forest. It seemed cheesy at first but I actually enjoyed it quite a lot. You sacrifice an ocean view for nice cool shaded paths and bridges over nice lagoons and seeing quite a lot of tame animals mingling with you. Raccoon, peacocks, donkeys, turtles, birds and some more exotic mammals wander the grounds in a way that actually works quite nicely and they are not mealtime pests nor mistreated creatures (save for a couple of parrots that are actually clipped and trotted out for pics every day and night). 4 and a half star here, though the layout is a bit of a pain in the butt. Nice piano lounge, movie theatre, cheezy resort style shows, small disco and open air sports bar were very nice for what I spent on the trip and what I expected.

The Service: All the front desk and nearly all of the staff you would interact with spoke english and were fairly pleasant. They appeared polite and ready to help with and small routine requests (for instance I asked for a couple batteries for my remote control and the sent them up within 20 minutes, cut my foot coming out of a taxi and got a band-aid within 45 minutes (I know, but at least I got it right.) But in line it seemed they were less helpful to some other people. Heard all sorts of grief when other people in line were denied help with little things like a local telephone book, extra pillow/blanket, help repairing thier basic amenities such as plugged showerheads and poorly functioning ACs. I would say they are pleasant and polite but not always helpful. Again, I am trying to be fair, I never heard a major complaint in my time at the resort, and it was a very busy time of year. I would definitely expect they are much better after new years day.

Forgot to add; very nice small gym and spa and two tennis courts.

All in all, I would not recommend Playa del Carmen or Cancun or even Mexico for that matter to people personally. Although this has more to do with the fact that I enjoy actual culture and adventure tourism. PDC and Cancun are like the worst elements of Western Culture concentrated into a horrifying satire of what we truly have become. I have eaten far better and more authentic mexican food in Canada, and the whole area is basically a giant collection of souveneir booths (crap that you wouldn't buy in dollar stores selling for 10-20 times the price.) and airport style "boutiques" of more crap that was double or more the price you'd expect to find in Toronto or Los Angeles or any major city. Put it this way; I lived in Toronto for 27 years and could not afford to live in Playa del Carmen or Cancun's tourist areas.

I came to this region for three excellent reasons; to scuba dive in the Drift Diving Capitol of the World-- Cozumel Island which was very nice. To see Chichen Itza and the other ruins of the great Mayan civilization, which was awe inspiring and magnificent. And finally to dive the fresh-wates caves and tunnels of the sinkholes on the mainland called cenotes. Which was the greatest dive experience of my life so far. The rest of my trip; resort living, tourism, shopping, theme parks, are really not for me, but I've tried to give a good review of what to expect, not just my personal prejudices. It is very nice place and I would guess a great value for anyone who does not require 5 star quality. It is a very strong 4 star resort, perhaps even a four and a half.

Sorry for the novel.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled solo
17 Thank deadeadbodies

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,204)
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Ottawa
Reviewed December 28, 2009

I stayed at the sandos caracol with my partner between december 11-18th, (skyservice).

This resort is a very diverse and interesting environment, There are many, gay and straight couples present on the resort, as well as, the young, the old, and the familys. We booked a Select Club junior suite, and the first thing i have to say is while the rooms are tacky, the views from the window and balcony are breathtaking. (travelers tip, if you get the jacuzzi on th balcony fill it up once or twice before you actually use it as the first few fills, coat the jacuzzi in rust, seemed everyone with one was having same problems.) and the select club house is very useful as you will always have a less used computer room, better choice of liquers, and access to the daybeds and hammocks which are amazing for relaxing on, and reading a good book. As far as the food is concerned, its slightly above cafeteria grade with a few shining rays of hope mixed in. Don't expect to much from the Sandos Caracol in the way of food, there are the few rare dishes that are done amazingly but its usually the same thing every day, with the exception of the A la carte restaurant options. The food at the a la carte restaurants was good overall with the exception of the chinese restaurant, which i actually walked out of, i found it so bad. As far as the Select Club Privliges, the level of the service despite buying the upgraded packages, are fundimentally the same. i found alot of the people with blue bands (blue for regular guests and silver/gold for upgraded guests) using many of the facilities that were supposed to be off limits to non select club members, so if you do it right aside from the view from your room its not worth paying for the select club.. Overall id say this resort is beautiful, the staff friendly, the drinks copious (the later it gets in the night the more they start putting into the drinks, also the bartenders look a bit tweaked from time to time, guess its all the late hours and all), and the pools are fabulous. a large section of the resort was under construction to open a new waterpark type thing ( sorry to be so ambiguous), so there was no acess to that but i didn't find it really affected the quality of the resort, and i was told large sections of the resort will be continuously under construction for at least the next year. Toby is absolutly amazing ( for those who don't know, Toby, is the tame racoon that lives at the resort and is so tame you can play with him as if hes a dog, i watched a drunk guy play with him for 2 hours as if it was his puppy he left back home, was wierd) when was the last time you pet a racoon :D. the animals roaming the resort really give it a unique and amazing feel.

all in all is give the resort a 2 out of 5

5 Thank XevOttawa
Toronto
Reviewed December 27, 2009

Just got back from a week long stay. Had a great time, nice facilities and stunning beach. It's a good resort for families, although as a couple we didn't feel too overwhelmed by all the kids.

Staff were very friendly, whether you tip them or not. But, given that they make most of their money through tips, it's really nice to reward the good service.

If you can get a package with a nominal additional cost for the select service it is totally worth it.

The only thing that I found lacking was the tours to locations outside of the resort - a bit too cheesy / touristy.

4 Thank JoeMaToronto
Texas
Reviewed December 23, 2009

We loved the resort!! We got a room upgrade due to the fact that we were honeymooners. So we actually had a jacuzzi in our room. We received a plate of fruits and sparkling wine as a welcome gift, also received a "Just Married" t-shirt and a truffle. Nice gestures! The room was clean, and very nice, the only thing we didn't like so much is that the room had somewhat of a funky smell to it. But, no big deal to us. The beach and ocean was beautiful, plenty of beach chairs and water equipment for rental. The food was excellent. 3 buffets to choose from: Mexican, International and Italian - cannot complain about the selection, we felt like we were in heaven. There were also 4 a la carte restaurants, where you have to make a reservation early in the morning, which is understandable and typical for all-inclusive resorts. Due to our adventure tours we only had two evenings available to make reservations and we tried the Japanese Restaurant and the Mediterranean Restaurant - both were delicious! Service was great...all waitstaff was very friendly. We received our drinks promptly after ordering and we had a blast. We can only recommend this resort and will definitely come back.

3 Thank Chrissy1179
Seattle
Reviewed December 23, 2009

We recently returned from 8 days at Sandos in December. We found this hotel a great place for a family vacation, and a great value. That said, I can see why some people would have a better time elsewhere. I think it really depends on what you want.

We had a junior suite (as booked) overlooking a pool. We were traveling with two very young children.

SETTING: The resort is a collection of 3 story buildings, each with around 10 rooms, spread over a large area with thousands of trees, plants, several swimming pools, and several natural water ways. That means there are insects. We all had a few mosquito bites, but we weren’t overly bothered. We partly choose this resort because we prefer a natural setting and felt the tradeoff well worth it. It also means that most of the rooms do not have ocean views, but our pool view was very pleasant.

ROOM: The room was not five star, but it many ways we enjoyed it much more than many “five star” rooms we’ve stayed in. The TV was not flat panel, there were no on demand movie choices, and the power seemed to go out daily (but never while we were in the room) as the clock was always resetting. But we found the Junior suite big and comfortable. Shaped like an L, it had a couch, a king bed, a single bed, and a crib (as requested), which was perfect. It also had a jetted Jacuzzi on the deck which we used 4 or 5 times. High ceilings, a comfortable room temperature, quiet (there was only 1 adjoining room on the 3rd floor), a free safe, and a small but stocked refrigerator, and we were happy. The room was well cleaned every day. It worked great for a family beach vacation.

KIDS CLUB / ACTIVITIES: This was q key reason we choose this hotel, based on the Trip Advisor Reviews. And it’s the best hotel we’ve stayed at for young kids. The property has multiple animal features, including donkeys, parrots, and raccoons. The kids club was for ages 2 and up and opened from 10 to 5 daily and the staff was fantastic. Our 3 year old daughter went twice. If we hadn’t been also traveling with a baby, we would have taken her more often to enjoy some alone time. A typical day was a trip to the beach, to the pool, to lunch, a video, and then the pool again. It seemed there were anywhere from 10 to 20 kids on a given day. There was also a program at 8 every night for the kids for 30 minutes or so. One night I counted 30 plus kids. A mini disco, beach party, piñata, etc. The new kids pool was not yet open.

BEACH: We liked it. Not the most beautiful we’ve seen, but it really worked for us. The large sandbags along the beach to stop erosion meant there were well protected areas for the young kids to swim and play. The sand was soft and good for sand castles. I had booties for my feet but never used them. We never had a problem finding chairs in the shade. The Select Club area had nicer chairs, a beach bar, and servers. But I wouldn’t have wanted to be there with the small kids.

WATER SPORTS: It was easy to walk up and get a Kayak (did so 4 or 5 times); had to reserve a few hours in advance to get a catamaran. Also had no problem getting a windsurfer. Note, they charge $10 cash for the week to use the catamaran and wind surfer for insurance.

BUFFETS: We found the food above average at the buffets, but not as good as our last all inclusive (before having kids, we rarely did the all inclusives). But we expected this based on the reviews. But that said, we always found something we liked. My favorite was making fish tacos with fresh grilled fish, guacamole, tortillas, and lime. There were three different buffet restaurants, and huge variety. Depending on the hotel occupancy, I don’t think they keep all three opened. There were two opened each day we were there, and it changed.

ALA CARTE: We ate at three, and really enjoyed each. We found these better than the last all inclusive we stayed at. For the Asian and Mediterranean, it was easy to get reservations (took 10 minutes) at reception, but plan a head as not all are opened ever day. The first available was 2 days out. The steak house was only taking reservations the day of starting at 7:30 in the morning because of the high demand. The Mediterranean was the most elegant right on the beach; the steak house had for us the best food. I was told the reason the Mediterranean was only half full was that the kitchen was small and could only server 50 at a time, even though the restaurant could seat over 100. I’m guessing the steak house might have had the same restriction.

RECEPTION / TIMESHARE: I sent an email to Sandos requesting the Sandos4You program, and an email to the hotel requesting a room as close as possible to the beach. Both emails received a response within an hour. Not sure if it made any difference, but our room was within 5 minutes of the beach and close the restaurants. Reception was pleasant. After that, we were approached by “guest services”, but we said we were in a hurry to get to lunch before it closed (which we were), and never heard from them again.

SIDE TRIPS: We rented a car at the airport. Parking at the hotel was free and convenient. We visited: (1) Tulum (ok) but would recommend Coba instead; (2) Coba (excellent) - climbing the pyramid and biking through the jungle were fun; (3) Snorkeling in Yal Kul Lagoon in Akumal (ok) - fish were ok but it’s a good place for a beginner (aka our 3 year old daughter); (4) Snorkeling in Puerto Morelas (Excellent) - it’s close to the hotel, $25 per person for the boat, and really great snorkeling; (5) Rio Lagartos (Excellent) – saw alligators, flamingos, and lots of birds, but it’s a long drive; (6) Chichen Itza (Excellent) – we stayed here the night and visited the site at 8:00 in the morning which was very pleasant, this was the same trip as to Rio Lagartos.

BARS: I can think of 8 different bars that we visited; before dinner, or near the beach or pool, or while walking around. The drink quality varied by bartender. We never had to wait more than a few minutes, and certainly no more than at any other bar I’ve been to, although the table service was slower. I was usually happiest with a fresh Mojito and they would always use Bacardi rum if asked.

SHOWS: There was a show at 9:45 every night. We attended 5 or 6, and enjoyed them. Two were by outside companies and the rest by the hotel entertainment staff.

DISLIKES: The thing we disliked the most was the lack of anything besides hamburgers and hot dogs to eat at the beach. Otherwise it meant heading to one of the buffets. The three restaurants they have next to the beach were not opened for lunch (one appeared to be being used for timeshare pitches and the other was simply closed). The third was for “Select Club Members”. I can also imagine if we had been placed at the back of the resort (away from the beach) with small kids, it would not have been fun because of the distance. And Christmas week, I’m sure things may be a lot more crowded.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
11 Thank MarcoFromSeattle
Oakdale, Minnesota
Reviewed December 22, 2009

The resort doesn't have a casino, but you do have to take some risks if you choose to stay here. My wife and I (and our 7 year old) spent 5 days at this resort and here are our observations:

The good:
1. In general, most of the employees (the maid, cleaning crews, servers at different restaurants) did their best to please their guests. If you want above-and-beyond service, tip them. See my comments on the other employee groups (front desk, guest service reps) below.

2. We felt very safe while on the resort. There were two security checkpoints before one was allowed to enter the premise.

3. Food was above average. A lot of restaurants and snack bars.

4. Nice pools and nice beach.

The bad:
1. Hated the timeshare sharks that disguised as guest service reps. They were just annoying. Everyday whenever I saw them, they would leverage every opportunity to offer you $, alcohol, or free spa so that you would attend their promotion/timeshare presentation. We didn't take the bait.

2. We spent five days at this resort and my wife was stuck in the shower with shampoo in her hair and no water on a few occasions (total of 3 occasions on three different days).

3. So, we thought "Hey, I will call the front desk to tell them about the water problem". No luck, the phone wasn't working.

4. Then we thought, we should just sit back and watch some TV while waiting for the water to come back. Guess what, TV wasn't working either.

5. Different kind of water problem. It was raining on our last day and while we were packing, I noticed the entrance area was soaking wet. Then we realized we had rain water coming in from the outside of our room.

6. Check-in - We had to wait for an hour (after the normal check-in time) for our room to be ready.

7. Front desk staff - Maybe they think they are at the top of the totem pole (because they can speak English), they were not friendly and borderline snobbish.

We are not picky people and we expect a 3-4 star resort to at the very minimum, provide the basic things (e.g. on-time check-in, running water, working phone and tv) for their guests. In our opinion, Sandos Caracol had failed miserably.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
8 Thank dahwang
Ontario
Reviewed December 21, 2009

After reading reviews on this resort, we decided to go there for our Anniversary. We got in contact with a web relations agent before and let them know it was our anniversary. We arrived at night and because we had upgraded to the Select Club, we could skip registration in the front lobby...very nice perk.
Our room was beautiful. They had upgraded our room and gave us a jacuzzi in the middle of the room and we had tshirts and candles on the bed for us.

The bugs were horrible. We brought bug spray, but that did us no good. The first night, I had over 20 bits on my legs. I imagine I got them from the Snack Bar. Buy the bug spray at the gift shop.
We tried to use the jacuzzi and the water came out green. We told customer relations, but that did no good and it was not fixed. They were underbooked, so we imagined maybe they did not have full staff on either. We didnt mind too much.
At most of the bars, you would order a drink and get it within an hour. (although a friend of mine ordered 4 shots at once and got 1 within 2 hours)
The Select Club bar is better though. Although even though it is an upgraded bar, you will see most people there have blue bands and should not be there or using the pool at all.
Laguna restaurant was closed all but the last day we were there, so our food options were poor. Only the Mexican restaurant served decent breakfast, although we got sick of an omlette after a while. The syrup for pancakes said maple honey, but it was only honey. There was no syrup and I really do not feel for tacos for breakfast.

I hunt my foot on the 2nd day by having a lawn chair drop on it. My foot swelled up and it hurt to walk. Having a select club upgrade allows us free shuttle, but they only showed up 3 out of the 20 times we called them.

At other resorts, having a gold band or select club upgrade means you get priority service. This usually means you get into restaurants at night. Here, I had to get up at 6:30 AM to stand in line to MAYBE get a reservation before they were all full. What a joke! I found that all of the places I went to, it was 1/2 full at best.

One night, because it was our anniversary, the resort offered us a wonderful dinner at the Meditteranean restaurant. They promised us a private table, our own waiter, etc. We arrived at the restaurant expecting all of this. We told them it was our anniversary, even showed them the note from the front desk, were sat directly in the middle. We didnt like the appetizers so we did not eat them. (our dinner was 9pm) We ordered our full meal which is normal. People arrived after we ordered. We saw people get their appetizers, salad, dinner and desert. When a table who had arrived 20 minutes after we ordered had gotten their meal and then desert, we stood and walked out the door. Their response was it was a kitchen problem.
What a joke. The table behind us arrived after us and yet they got the same meal we ordered.

They call themselves a 4 or 5 star resort. I have stayed at 3 and 4 star resorts and they were far far better then Sandos. Also, the other resorts did not try to sell me a time share each time they saw me. We spoke with customer relations one time to try to get some things fixed (ie our jacuzzi, our telephone which was broken, to stop construction in the room above us from beginning at 6:30am and many more things) Customer relations appologized, then told us she wanted to give us a free week at their diamond resort. It sounded lovely, then she told us all we have to do was sign up to their timeshare (which is $10,000 -a person I met bought into it).
Will I ever go back?
Not even if they paid me.

3 Thank jazzzy1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Magic Blue Hotel
Magic Blue Hotel
#50 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Bel Air Collection Xpu Ha Riviera Maya
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
#7 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Iberostar Tucan Hotel
Iberostar Tucan Hotel
#43 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Sandos Caracol Eco Resort? Share your experiences!