“Great Getaway!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Great Getaway!”
Reviewed July 22, 2014

We were at the Sandos Eco resort for a quick anniversary getaway. We stayed in the adult Select Club section, and loved it. We were in room 7001, which was nice and quiet. If you are going without kids, I suggest paying the extra for Select Club, as the nice quiet pool and beach area were worth the extra money, as was the restaraunt that is by the pool for breakfast and lunch. We had great service and wonderful food. All of the places we went to eat were great, lots of variety. I have to eat gluten-free, and this was very easy. The hotel takes great care to list GF food on the menu. For the buffet style eating, I figured it out on my own, and there was a large variety to choose from. Every staff member was friendly and went out of their way for us, and on our actual anniversary date, we found a bottle of wine and strawberries delivered to our room. All of the grounds were spotless, as was our room.

The ONLY negative I will mention is the rocky beach. If you had water shoes, you would not notice it. But it was not as sandy as we had hoped. I hear the other Sandos resort near-by is the place to go if the beach is your #1 priority.

The Freddy Jackson show and Fire Ritual are amazing and not to be missed. The Saturday night show was unreal - something we will never forget!

Room Tip: We were in room 7001 in the Select area, it was nice and quiet - not a good view from balcony, but w...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Tomaskova
Sandos_Caracol, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Sandos Caracol Eco Resort, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Dear guest,

We thank you for choosing our hotel for such an special occasion as it is an anniversary. I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed our Adults Only facilities at the Select Club.

We feel nothing but pride when our guests picks us among the great variety for this occasions this is why we feel happy to share with them a little something special. We thank you for your nice comments about the staff, indeed everyone in the resort works with a smile on their faces with the only objective to make our guest happy.

I am also happy to hear that our shows pleased you and that you will have a nice memory of them for ever.

Once again thank you for choosing our resort and we hope to have you back soon.

Warmest regards,

Sandos Caracol Eco Experience Resort
webrelations.caracol@sandos.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,185)
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
North Wales
Reviewed July 22, 2014

Spent 2 wonderful weeks in July and couldn't have asked for more. We stayed in block 77 and saw the monkeys most mornings. The resort is a good size but you do not have to walk it each day to get around!! I took regular jaunts with my daughter down the jungle paths and found it broke the day up nicely. After all, there is only so much lying around the pool you can do, isn't there!
Food quality was generally good. Enjoyed all of the al la carte restaurants but found the buffet a little repetitive. However, you can use the Italian and Mexican as walk in buffet. We didn't realise until late into the holiday and it did help.
Won't talk about the beach as many comments have already been made and you know what to expect. Yes it is rocky, yes bring water shoes.
Pool was great and no problems with getting sunbeds. We tend to walk down there around 7.45 - 8.00, select our beds and then go for breakfast. We were normally back on them by 8.15 - 8.30 with very few people around the pool.
The staff were all very good but a special mention to Perla in Customer Services. Real credit to the hotel and her profession. Always cheerful and helpful. Staff like her make a real difference and will bring customers like me back to the complex again.
Ohhh, a final mention. I am not sure whether the hotel has listened but there had been complaints about the beds being too hard. Ours had a "topper" on the mattress which made the bed very comfortable. My only complaint, and I have to dig deep here to find any issues, is the pillows. Not the most comfortable.

3 Thank Steve-NorthWales
Dear guest,

We want to thank you for your detailed review, and the time you have invested in leaving your experience on the trip advisor travel site, lots of other people who are thinking about the Riviera Maya will read how beautiful the Mexican attention to the guests is in our resort.

I will pass on the nice comments to our staff specially, Perla. She will be thrilled to hear that you have arrived home safe and you remember her in your review.

With nothing but gratefulness and a warm greetings from everyone in Sandos Caracol I invite you to contact us next time you visit us with all your personal request so we can revive this amazing experience you already had, or if possible make it better!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed July 21, 2014

The resort is located in Playa del Carmen. It has family and adult areas that help balance the needs for everyone. There is a Cenote right behind the lobby where the resort guest can experience snorkeling in a safe environment. There are many pools around the premises; my two year old loved the kids pool which had several slides in shallow water.
The restaurants had a variety of cuisines available and the snack bar was always open. My kids loved hanging by the snack bar because it has an area with swings instead of chairs! It was always fun to eat and swing at the same time.
There are many amenities around the resort, spa, shoppes, game room, night club, adult VIP beach area with special food and drinks including free WI-FI on the VIP beach, archeological areas with bicycles available to ride along the paths.
I spent 4 days and 3 nights in here but I wish I could've been here more time, my kids and I had a great time at this resort!

Room Tip: Not all the rooms have Wi-Fi, but the lobby and the sports bar had free WI-FI access. The diamond ar...
2 Thank IsabelAlbl
Dear guest,

We are very proud to read that we accomplished to be the perfect place for your vacations and thank you for sharing your opinion on the tripadvisor website.

Thanks to the time you have invested in leaving your experience on the tripadvisor travel site, lots of other people who are thinking about the Riviera Maya will read how beautiful the Mexican attention to the guests is in our resort.

Please make sure to contact us prior to your arrival next time you come so we can help you with any requests you may have.

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 21, 2014

We absolutely loved this property...very large with plenty to do, so many activities geared towards children of all ages. Food was great at the ala cartes and buffets. We even renewed our wedding vows while we were there.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank TinaMaki
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your experiences with the Trip advisor community; it was a pleasure to read your review and we are sure this has helped many travellers confirm that Sandos Caracol is the perfect hotel for their vacation.

We are pleased that you loved it here; we will share your positive comments with our staff; it encourages them to continue working hard.

Please do not forget that we will be pleased to welcome you back at any time.

Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 21, 2014

Let me first start by saying - if you don't like bugs, lizards, monkeys, the odd snake, raccoons and iguanas, then this is not the resort for you!

We spent 3 weeks here from 21st June this year, we travelled from Scotland with our 7 year old son.

I had contacted the resort prior to our arrival to book restaurant for my partners birthday, communication was excellent and we had birthday balloons in our room and a birthday surprise on his birthday (staff singing at the restaurant and cake!) which was much appreciated! Thanks Nora!

Accommodation was clean and functional, air conditioning was a god send! Our room was cleaned daily and our fridge re-stocked with beer and soft drinks. We had a water cooler in our room which was great.

The resort itself is beautiful, being there for 3 weeks, we did wonder if we would be ready to leave and bored towards the end, this was not the case at all! There is so much to do, from watersports at the beach, bike trails through the jungle, exploring the mayan ruins on site, cinema and some fantastic shows.

Food - The al le carte restaurants were superb, favourite being Los Liros which is the steak restaurant. Buffet options were main buffet, italian and mexican for Breakfast and Lunch and Mexican and main buffet for dinner. Snack bar is open 24hrs a day and has a broad range of snack foods, ice cream and fruit. The quality of food was excellent - especially if you compare it to european all inclusive resorts. The red and white house wine was lovely, cocktail menu extensive and Sol beer on tap.

Swimming pools - we preferred the chill out pool as we found the main pool to be too busy for our liking (lots going on from rodeo bull ride, to sphering in the pool!) Waterpark was fantastic, would suit children from 2-6, my son enjoyed it but the slides were more suited to younger children.

Beach - lovely beach, very rocky for access into the sea so would advise swim shoes.

Kids club - this was amazing, my son loved it so much he was insistent on going daily! Runs from 10am-10pm (maximum 4hrs at a time) it's air conditioned, has computer games (xbox, wii, playstation) and lots of other activities that you can pop them down for.

Service - this is what made the holiday, the staff. They were all so welcoming, kind, and lovely.

Downside to the holiday - Americans! Now I don't wish to generalise but I have never, ever met a more rude and obnoxious bunch!! Pushing in front of queues, throwing dollar bills at staff as if they were beneath them, no please or thank you's, it was truly shocking. Another point complete disregard for rules - for example, there were specific smoking areas throughout the resort, especially in the pool areas, where smokers can go to smoke - a numerous times throughout the holiday I saw people sparking up at the poolside with children around, even in the pool.

Weather - was fantastic, only one morning of torrential rain and that was quite an experience!

It was the most amazing family holiday, I can't wait to come back in the next year or so, I would 100% recommend for families.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
7 Thank BettyE86
Dear guest,

We appreciate the time you have taken to write this positive feedback about your stay in Sandos Caracol

At Sandos Hotels we have a commitment to provide quality service beyond our guests’ expectations, and it is a real pleasure for us to know that we have achieved our goal.

This definitely strengthens our philosophy of seeking the highest level of service excellence, we are proud to know that Nora provide a high quality service, we will pass your kind comments to her.

We would be glad to welcome you again when visiting the Mexican Caribbean next time.

Hickory, North Carolina
Reviewed July 19, 2014

Just returned yesterday from a wonderful trip. Beautiful grounds and lots of animals. Definitely a great resort for families as there is much to do for little ones. I read MANY reviews before we left and there was truth to almost all of them. Thanks to others' advice, we had plenty of sunscreen, (70 SPF and it was needed), bug repellent (needed at night), $1s for tips, and water/walking shoes. We were not pressured to participate in the Royal Elite "presentation" as a simple "No Thank You" was well received. Our 3YO loved the Kid's Club and asked to go daily...but no beepers for parents, so we had to have a plan for our location which hampered spontaneity, but not a biggie. He also loved the water park, but be prepared for lots of scrapes from the bottom. Food was average to truly delicious (Mexican Buffet and La Riviera). Service everywhere was friendly, if not fast. Pools were okay...warm, but what can you expect in July? One thing I wish I had known was how slippery ALL of the tile flooring could be. Whether indoors or outside walkways, these paths and floors could be treacherous with wet flip-flops. Be careful. The Mayan shows were good. Our son especially enjoyed the Fire Ceremony (and the Superhero Show :-). He is still asking to see the Mayans, lol. Overall, we had an excellent time and felt we certainly got what we paid for.

Room Tip: We stayed in building 31. I had originally wanted to stay in 24 or 25, but this location was perfec...
4 Thank Angela H
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for choosing our Resort as your new regular vacation spot. Every time we hear that we have such wonderful reviews it feels nothing but rewarding and encouraging for the hard and sincere effort made every day by our 900 staff in the hotel that works every day to make our guest happy and comfortable.

We want to thank you for your detailed review, and the time you have invested in leaving your experience on the tripadvisor travel site, lots of other people who are thinking about the Riviera Maya will read how beautiful the Mexican attention to the guests is in our resort.

Manning, Canada
Reviewed July 18, 2014 via mobile

I had a wonderful time flying solo , the staff were amazing. Met folks from all over and made a few great friendships. Thanks I'll be back! The Food was exceptional and the beers tasty. Just being lazy on the beach became a daily thing.

Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
5 Thank Christopher A
Sandos_Caracol, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Sandos Caracol Eco Resort, responded to this review, July 25, 2014
Dear Guest,

Please do not forget that we will be pleased to welcome you back at any time.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Magic Blue Hotel
Magic Blue Hotel
#53 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Bel Air Collection Xpu Ha Riviera Maya
Barcelo Maya Caribe
Barcelo Maya Caribe
#12 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras

Been to Sandos Caracol Eco Resort? Share your experiences!