Sandos Caracol Eco Resort
  • Pool
$191
$587
  • Breakfast included
Royal Hideaway Playacar(Playa del Carmen)
$297
$217
Barcelo.com
The Royal Playa del Carmen(Playa del Carmen)
$423
$240
Agoda.com
  • Breakfast included
Valentin Imperial Riviera Maya(Playa del Secreto)(Great Value!)
$401
$289
Agoda.com
  • Breakfast included
Grand Velas Riviera Maya(Playa del Carmen)
$1,434
$761
Bookit.com
Fairmont Mayakoba(Playa del Carmen)
$486
$472
$973
$450
14,034 results
All reviewsselect clubaqua parkinternational buffetlos liriosmayan showskids clubel temploromantic boat ridemain pooljade riverla toscanaroyal elite sectionwater shoesselect areabrazilian restaurantkids water parkadults only section
Reviewed July 2, 2014

This was our second stay at this resort, and was just as good as the first time around. We stayed in the adults only section which gives you access to better standard rooms and the exclusive restaurant for breakfast and lunches.
The resort is well laid out and conveniently located for central playa del Carmen either by walking along the beach (1 hour) or by taxi (mxn 140). It also makes a great base if exploring the Yucutan peninsula.
The resort has a variety of restaurants to choose from and many facilities to keep couples and families of all ages entertained.
We will be returning.

Room Tip: Choose the Adults Only section if you want access to better rooms and exclusive benefits
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
5  Thank MattYana2014
Sandos_Caracol, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Sandos Caracol Eco Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for choosing our Resort as your new regular vacation spot. Every time we hear that we have a new member of the Sandos family it feels nothing but rewarding and encouraging for the hard and sincere effort made every day by our 900 staff in the hotel that works every day to make our guest happy and comfortable.

We want to thank you for your detailed review, and the time you have invested in leaving your experience on the tripadvisor travel site, lots of other people who are thinking about the Riviera Maya will read how beautiful the Mexican attention to the guests is in our resort.

With nothing but gratefulness and a warm greetings from everyone in Sandos Caracol I invite you to contact us next time you visit us with all your personal request so we can revive this amazing experience you already had, or if possible make it better!

Best regards,

Fatima Medina
Web Relations Manager
Sandos Caracol Eco Experience Resort,
webrelations.caracol@sandos.com

Reviewed July 2, 2014

This is our 3rd review for this resort and again its goin to be a good one!!! We were a party of 14 that came back to sandos for the 3rd time for us and one couple who we met here last year and first time for some of our friends and family. We all arrived on 5th june 2014 for our wedding that took place on the 11th june. Upon arrival our rooms were pretty scattered which wasn't good for us as we had mums that were in rooms of there own and wanted to be near us and friends that all wanted to be close too, after a few room changes we were settled into our rooms which as usual were great, new water coolers in every room which gave hot and cold water which was great. Ok im goin to get straight onto the wedding as it was a big part of the holiday. Marine Gautier Larret the wedding planner has been AMAZING, right from the very beginning with emails ect she never failed to please or help, i must of sent 100 emails asking random questions and she would always be there to help. Once settled into the resort we arranged to meet and pay for the wedding which we paid direct through the resort and in dollars. All this was straight forward and easy, I picked my bouquet which was out of this world and marine made sure everything else tied in together around it. We arranged to have our bloods taken and everything was set and ready!! all we had to do now was relax :-). We had our bloods taken for the wedding and I can honestly say as some one who is needle phobic it was the best blood test id ever had, the doctor who came to the room was very gentle lol. I also had my dress taken to be steamed to get the creases out and was worried but it came back perfect and all hung nicely on hangers.
On the wedding day I went to the spa and had my hair and make up done by the guy in the hair salon but I cannot remember his name he was amazing my hair and make up were `fit for a queen and would like him to be thanked for his amazing talent.
I was picked up in the golf buggy and taken down to the steak house as we had our ceremony on the beach in the gazebo and forgot my bouquet so one of the girls ran back to get it :-)
The ceremony was beautiful!! the vowels are all bout loving each other and being there for each other which was exactly what we wanted. We had a judge as it was a legal ceremony and he was fantastic! The ceremony is around 30-40 minuets and a thumb print on the wedding certificate adds that little extra sparkle. We had Lillo the photographer snapping away through the ceremony and after we had some family photos and some special photos of just me and my hubby. This guy is truly wonderful! we loved his photos that much we had buy the lot and we also have a pic of him with us as our back page in the stunning photo book we purchased too. Thank you Lillo!! We also had a private party on the beach in the select club area with a DJ Luca Zannelli from best destination weddings and was perfect, what ever song we asked for he played!! We had the best time ever and an amazing cake too, the dj brought balloons and glow sticks for the kids and they had just as much fun as the adults.
The food here is great everywhere, we mostly went to the la laguna as it has a better choice of food for the children and also we all needed our daily hola to Sonia and Antonio, these two ladies are simply an asset to the laguna!! they are the most polite and hard working ppl we know and they hadn't changed a bit from the last time we saw them in 2013.
Just a last little thank you to Alex and Gabriel who are part of the management team, they were always making sure we had a great stay and helping with whatever we needed or asked for. thank you to all at sandos again for an amazing 3rd holiday at your beautiful resort and for one of the best days of our lives becoming husband and wife in your wonderful grounds with another year of unforgettable memories!! See you guys all again soon when we return next time x x

special thanks to
ALEX AND GABRIEL
SONIA AND ANTONIA
MARINE - WEDDING PLANNER AND GIRLS
LILLO- WEDDING PHOTOGRAPHER
LUCA- WEDDING DJ
HAIR STYLIST IN SALON
MR RAMIREZ- HOTEL MANAGER / CHIEF ;-)

Room Tip: Don't listen to bad reviews!! for weddings book direct through resort and not with travel company.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
7  Thank camcam110806
Reviewed July 2, 2014

If you are looking for a kid and extremely eco friendly resort, this is the place to go. I have a little one (5yrs old) and do not mind kids at all but it was over populated with little ones at this resort. Pool closes at 8pm, so there is really not much to do after that other than going to the buffet. I was really looking forward to long walks at the beach with my husband and son, but the beach is not lid up at night, it was completely pitch black. Did not like that they have rocks at the beach... I was not too impressed with the theater shows, so we hung out at the bar that's connected with the snack bar most of the night. Oh, the snack bar food was HORRIBLE! It all tasted like it was watered down and full of chemicals. I did not allow my child to eat at the snack bar. The ice cream machine tends to get messy quick as the little ones like to play and pour/spill ice cream (ice cream tasted like water to me as well). Don't forget to bring your mosquito repellent; it gets really bad at night (well at least during our stay). The outdoor smell is not lovely sometimes. The outdoor walkways early in the morning are not lid up (I guess its part of being a eco friendly resort). We had trouble getting out of there with no flash lights on our way to the front lobby when it was time to leave, and this was around 5:30am.

Sorry, but I would not recommend this resort. I stayed at a 3.5 star resort in the past and had a blast (I would rate that one a 5star). I will give this one a 2.5 star.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank daisyflowersw
Reviewed July 2, 2014

We are your typical family, we went to this resort with our 4 kids, 18 and 14 are the girls and 10 and 6 are the boys, I was a little concerned about the property after reading some of the reviews, but it is a very pretty resort. Our rooms were clean and comfortable. I noticed a small patch of the ceiling in my daughters bathroom over the shower that looked like it was falling apart, probably because of getting wet from the shower, which didn't bother me, but to another traveler it might have been a big deal? The cons of this resort are listed below, and I may getting a little critical:

1) Beach-getting into the water was terrible-it's all rocks, even with water shoes it was difficult.
2) Pool temp got to about 90 degrees in the afternoon and wasn't refreshing at all to get into, also a couple days, there appeared to be like puke in the pool that the filter wasn't filtering.
3) The Brazil restaurant was extremely disappointing
4) Only having 2 buffets that were both just OK was disappointing for dinner, I would have liked to have had the Italian open as an option also at night.

But there was a lot of good also, the grounds are very clean and lush, the Italian restaurant for lunch was top notch, the steakhouse and Japanese restaurants were fabulous for dinner, the cenote was great, the shows were also very good, the Michael Jackson show could go the Las Vegas it was so good. If you are worried about going to this resort, please do not be worried, it is a very nice resort, you will not be disappointed. For what you pay, it is worth the money. If you are a picky person and your goal is to criticize everything, then this is NOT the resort for you, it is a very nice budget family resort, both my wife and I would give it 3.5-4 stars.

Room Tip: The lower the numbers, the closer you are to most activities
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
5  Thank David M
Reviewed July 2, 2014

We checked in to Sandos Caracol on 30/05/2014 for two weeks. First the positives. The hotel and facilities are outstanding. We had an upgraded room with a jacuzzi. The room was kept spotless by the maid and our fridge always had beer / soft drinks in it. The buffet restaurants are really good quality and the food always fresh. In the international buffet Jesus was a star and really looked after us every morning.
The A'la Carte Restaurants are amazing and they all have a different welcome cocktail.
The resort is amazing and not far to 5th Avenue although the taxis are very dear off the resort.
Here is the down side we went to CoCo Bongo and my partner had drank to much and got disorientated. She ended up getting in a taxi with no money so the taxi driver took her phone and engagement ring until she returned to pay. He then drove off with the ring , phone and money. In the morning we reported it to the hotel who were no help at all. I spoke to the manager and his attitude was terrible. He did not want to assist us in any way. We spent our last two days reporting the crime to the taxi company and the police. This all in cost over 500 pesos ( taxis and you have to pay for the police report) even though the hotel had the taxi number they said they could not trace the car or driver???
A really bad end to what was a fantastic holiday...

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple