“A unimportant wedding apparently.”

Sandos Caracol Eco Resort
Ranked #79 of 209 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersSilver level
Toronto, Canada
“A unimportant wedding apparently.”
Reviewed June 9, 2014

Before you book this place, call ahead and confirm they had all the roofs fixed. Trust me on this.

As a vacation this resort was really cool- unlike the others we saw it wasn't all neat trimmed lawns and palm trees, the jungle is interwoven through the resort and wild animals were delightfully present. The staff that I physically saw were wonderful, always smiling and pleasant. As a wedding venue however it left a lot to be desired. They treated the wedding like it was about as important as a Wednesday afternoon beach activity.
The wedding planner (associated with the resort) and the resort completely failed to communicate so the day of the wedding no one knew where the dresses (including the wedding gown) were. We had sent them to be steamed. I'm not even sure if they were, people kept giving us different answers. My sister was getting married and I showed up at her room to help her get ready. We were all supposed to take photos and she had purchased us special bathrobes for the occasion. My sister was not there. 30 minutes into the wedding my sister was not there. Even though she was a bride, and the reason over 40 guests were attending the resort in the off season, even though they knew her schedule and had confirmed times with her, they decided to give some kids a haircut before her. Then it started to pour rain. They told her it could be a 30 minute wait for the shuttle (They guessed, shuttles there, even the ones you book way ahead of time, are always guesses) so my sister, now very late for her wedding, walked across the resort in the pouring rain with her freshly styled hair and make up. It took three tries to get a shuttle bus (we had booked one days ago, telling them it was to deliver the bride to the altar). I myself called telling them she was 40 minutes late for the wedding. Nothing happened. Finally the photographer (not connected with the resort) got on the phone and spoke Spanish. I hope he said something rude. We didn't get to do the “getting ready” photo-shoot. Oh well, maybe next time my sister marries the love of her life we can. The wedding was held in doors due to rain in an area that was also a restaurant. The guests arrived to see half eaten food on the table. My sister was walked down the aisle, and the ceremony conducted to the sounds of waiters setting up tables JUST A FEW FEET AWAY. They are going to be in the background of photos of the bride and groom at the altar. The whole night it seemed like they were shuffling us along ahead of more important things, until finally they gave up and let us stay and then expected us to be really thankful about it.

The biggest problem with the resort, one which applies to anyone staying there for any reason is the holes in the roof. I get being caught off guard at the start of the rainy season by the odd tiny hole but you could see the sky through some of these. (Note- the buildings you sleep in were as far as I saw fine. Its the places you eat, drink and hang out in that were soaking, and the resort ran out of umbrellas really fast) In some places, well most places it was raining inside. During breakfast a large piece of plaster fell from the roof of one restaurant, landing by the entrance. A few minutes earlier and it would have hurt someone. The next day I noticed a table moved to a odd place, looking up I saw that it was so guests who were sitting would be less likely to be hit by a large strip of heavy plaster hanging ready to fall. One form of entertainment was watching little kids violently fall over and go skidding. Adults weren't much better off. At points there were several inches of water on the floor at my sisters wedding. We had to all watch our drinks like we were at a sketchy club because water was dripping from the ceiling into them. I watched them cut the cake with water dripping on my head. People were slipping. The hotel has told my sister that her family “had a good time and we paid people to stay longer to make up for it” so everything was fine. That says more about my family then it does their solutions. When another bridesmaid posted a similar review online about this experience it was not posted. Somehow tripadvisor is under the impression that she never went to the resort. Trust me she was there, she has the sunburn to prove it.

Its a nice place, but they need to work on how they organize weddings, each one should feel special because it is to the people involved in them, and they need to fix their roof. I hope they do better because the eco parts of the resort were amazing, more places should be like that.

Room Tip: be aware cleaning ladies will keep knocking to come clean-no matter the time, no matter the locked d...
3 Thank Carolyn B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,165)
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed June 9, 2014

My husband and I and another couple stayed a week the first of May. The hotel has a lot to do, a lot of walking and is very large. I the beach is very rocky and defiantly wear your water shoes. We bought the upgrade for adults only and was glad that we did. The restaurant's are nice we especially liked the Mexican buffet and the Brazilin. The breakfast buffet was okay. I would recommend this hotel to families. But not large groups. The wildlife on the property was nice with the rivers and trails. I don't think we would go back to this hotel. We like the beach and it was not good. You can go to the sister hotel for free. Sandos Playa Car. We did do this and loved the beach. it cost about $14.00 us dollars by cab one way. But defiantly go it is worth is.

Room Tip: We upgraded and stayed in the elite section by the beach in pool. We had a ocean view.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kimberly C
Reviewed June 7, 2014 via mobile

Nice hotel with great facilities especially for kids. The beach itself is nice but the entry into the water very rocky so you need water shoes.
The rooms are okay... Forget about getting an oceanview room as they are all reserved for the "Elite club members". No matter what they call it... It's a time share. Get ready to be guilted into a 90 minute presentation of the benefits of becoming an elite club member in exchange for some free trinkets and t-shirt.
Great evening shows, great animators especially enjoyes the morning runs in the jungle! The staff is wonderfuly friendly!
All in all a great place and good value for the money especially if you have young kids.

• Stayed April 2014
3 Thank Leewi77
Sandos_Caracol, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Sandos Caracol Eco Resort, responded to this review, June 9, 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about your holiday here at Sandos Caracol Eco Experience Resort.

It’s fantastic to hear that you had such a wonderful time in the hotel. We really appreciate you taking the time to leave your feedback about the hotel, and particularly about the staff. The members of our animations team indeed are fantastic at what they are doing.

We are all hoping that we can welcome you again soon!

North Bergen, NJ
Reviewed June 7, 2014

As the title states, overall it was a good experience. Travelled with extended family and their kids. Kids really liked the animals everywhere as well as the pools and the beach. Food was ok, some of the dinners were good, but we were disappointed with the Brazilian rodizio as the meat wasn't very good and you only get one round, they don't keep going like most places so get multiple pieces in case you like one of them! We had an adult select club deluxe room which is a little nicer than the standard rooms, but also gives you access to the adults only sections of the resort, which is probably better if you don't have any kids. They had really good shows at night which the kids loved. As everyone stated the beach is rocky, so bring water shoes and you'll be fine. They will try to sell you a timeshare package so just be aware. Its up to you whether the gifts they offer in return are worth the 3-4 hours of your time (even though they say its 1-2 hours#. My biggest complaint is with some of the staff. The reservation system there is very sketchy. When they give you the paper when you make your reservation, don't loose it as they have no other record that you even had a reservation. We forgot ours and no one had any record of our reservation anywhere. They also said they were booked full and they couldn't accommodate our group of six. After the 10 min round trip walk back to the room #yes the resort is quite large# we gave the reservation paper to them and then everything was OK. Funny thing is we walked in and there were like 5 other people in the restaurant. Booked full? I think not. Also we booked the romantic package for my gf and I. The room was decorated nicely when we got there (with just married tshirts too!) but no one could find that detail on our reservation when we tried to book our romantic dinner package. When we finally did find someone to book our romantic dinner, the restaurant never got the memo and we just had a regular dinner. Complaining to the front desk/reservations people fell upon deaf ears, as they couldn't confirm we had the romantic package booked and refused to rebook our dinner or offer any else in lieu of the dinner. I would not recommend getting this package as it seems to be a hassle to get what you pay for. I've stayed at many different resorts in Cancun, and while this resort is really good for kids #special pool areas, water park, shows, buffets, animals, etc.) I think the service, food options and beaches are better in most parts of Cancun.

3 Thank wd00
Niagara-on-the-Lake, Canada
Reviewed June 7, 2014

We returned from a 1 week stay at the Caracol with our daughter and her husband and 3 year old son
The resort continues to excel with it's service and hospitality. Our Grandson had an absolute blast and the staff in the dining rooms were fantastic with him. On our last night it was his 3rd birthday and Fatima at the cutomer service set up a cake and candles for him nd it was absolutely amazing. The mariachi band showed up and sang happy birthday to him, the waiter gave him a soda boom boom ( certainly not tequila, we had those ). Every a la carte restaurant was excellent. We went to the Italian, Mediterranean and the Steak and Sea Food.
We went on a bike ride around the resort and saw the famous monkeys swinging in the trees. The water park for the kids was fantastic and very well supervised. The whole experience was once again amazing and we would certainly return for the third time. If anyone is looking for a family holiday with lots to do GO THERE, you will not be dissapointed.

Room Tip: For families certainly the family rooms with the pll out bed sofa. For couples the adults only secti...
1 Thank GRF1956
Dear guest,

It’s fantastic to hear that you had such a wonderful time in the hotel. We really appreciate you taking the time to leave your feedback about the hotel, and particularly about the staff. In the name of every member of the Sandos Caracol family I send you fondest regards and look forward to your return visit in the future!

Wishing you all the best,

grimsby
Reviewed June 5, 2014

We (my husband and 2 girls (age 11 & 8) stayed at the resort from 19 May - 25 May and then 28 May - 2 June, trying two different room types - Block 18 with a jacuzzi outside and Block 56 jacuzzi inside. Rooms were cleaned to a good standard and more than adequate and spacious for our needs. We only used the indoor jacuzzi once as it took so long to fill (and the excessive use of water didn't seem to fit with an 'eco resort'. The highlights of the resort are the staff, entertainment, quality of the food and drink and the resort setting in general.

I put a lot of time and effort into my research before choosing Sandos Caracol and am really pleased that I did. It ticked all the boxes for us as a family. From the first contact with the resort via emails to Fatima I was impressed. During our first stay, we packed in lots of activities including great Zumba lessons twice a day with 2 Canadian Ladies, aqua gym (with the entertainments team) , eco tour with Ramon, cycling, 3 shows, snorkelling, swimming........ Then on Day 4 I discovered where the Yoga was being held. I wish I had found out how to get to this slightly earlier in my holiday but never mind!!! The teacher Juan Carlos is exceptional, he manages to deliver a class 6 days per week to people who range from beginners to those who practice on a regular basis and are at a very good level. I did 5 sessions during the holiday and felt great afterwards.

We visited all the buffet restaurants and enjoyed the Mexican for Breakfast and Italian for Lunch. There is also a fantastic snack bar which the girls loved to go to (they liked the swings!!). The a la cartes we tried were also very good - I enjoyed the Brazilian the best, my husband said the steak he had at Los Liros was one of the best he had ever had, my eldest liked the Japanese (for the wow factor) and the youngest loved the Italian. Service at all of these restaurants was of a very high standard.

In our second stay in block 56 we were a little further away from the main buffets and swimming area, but to honest nothing is really that far away, and once you get your head round the shortcuts it is quite easy. (it only becomes annoying if you have forgotten something you need in your room!!) On our return (after visiting Akumal for a couple of days and Vallodolid), it was great to settle back in. We saw a couple more shows - with the Saturday Xcalacoco show having to be moved to the 'Theatre' area due to the rain. Tried to play tennis (but the conditions were a bit too hot and humid for us Brits), had a lovely hour with Alonso planting a tree, deep tissue massage with Charly (at the spa) - and back to our yoga, zumba, aerobics and bingo.

On the Friday, we went and spent the day at the Sandos Playacar resort (just the cost of a taxi ride) - the beach was fab and we wished we had done that trip earlier as unfortunately the Saturday and Sunday were a wash out - with the staff working very hard to squeegee the water out of the way and provide some transport round the site (although it was a bit crazy and umbrellas were available but became scarce quickly).

Had I experienced more rainy days than we did, I don't think I would have enjoyed the resort as much as I did. The staff did a great job altering the entertainment and activities, however your room does then become more important to you and for some reason the water did seem to seep through the walls making it feel damp.

I still give the resort and my experience 5 stars, as we had a great time, would love to return and thought it was great value for money.

5 Thank pandaGrimsby
Dear guest,

I am happy to hear that you had such a good time with us and want to thank you for writing this lovely comment on Trip Advisor, all the members of the staff you got to know during your recent holiday appreciates it!

We're so thrilled that you had so wonderful days here and that your family enjoyed all the hotel had to offer too. We appreciate you taking the time to name some of our members staff, we are all touched by your comments and are glad that we were able to contribute to making your holiday such a happy one.

We´re glad you enjoyed the varied selection of a la carte restaurants and also our buffets and the snack bar, and I hope that we will be able to welcome you again soon!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed June 4, 2014

My son and his family went to Caracol last year. My wife and I decided to accompany them this year as a 40th anniversary present to ourselves. We had a terrific time. The grounds are beautiful and very well maintained. It was fun to see the animals roaming the grounds, with the possible exception of when they try and jump on your table in the snack bar and snatch food off your plate, as they seem prone to do in the evening. The shows and other evening activities were nicely done, and offered nice variety. Food at the al a carte's was generally excellent (Mediterranean was the favorite). The buffets were pretty common and became less appealing as the 10 days wore on. The grounds are very extensive, so you will give your pedometer a workout getting around. The rocky beach is well documented, so I won't dwell on that. The activities in the pool are a bit repetative, but it really contributed to a festive atmosphere. The staff was very curteous and genuinely seemed commited to accomodating your needs. If I had to grump about anything, it would be the room service was hit and miss. Some days they would leave the appropariate numbers of towels and washclothes, and some days they didn't. The beds are very firm, but I liked that. The pillows were like sleeping on sacks of flour however. Most of the RS staff does not speak English, so communicating is a challenge. Complaining to guest services and the concierge did not produce any improvement. Since this is our first experience with all inclusives, and a family friendly resort is a requirement (going with the grandchildren is a treat) I don't have a basis to compare, but would not hesitate to go here again.

Room Tip: The buildings in the 30's are more centrally located in realtion to plaza and beach.
1 Thank Watson52
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience at Sandos Caracol Eco Experience Resort.

We are so glad that you and your family had such a fantastic time here. We really appreciate your praise regarding all our excellent hard working staff in the hotel, and they are all so happy that they contributed to your overall positive experience. We have taken your suggestions into consideration and inform you that our goal is to keep on improving constantly not only the rooms also some other interesting issues our guests as yourself let us know, we appreciate your input very much.

We hope that you will be back to see us again in the future, write us before and we repeat this fantastic experience once again!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Magic Blue Hotel
Magic Blue Hotel
#56 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Barcelo Maya Tropical
Barcelo Maya Tropical
#7 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
#4 of 25 in Puerto Morelos
Bel Air Collection Xpu Ha Riviera Maya
Barcelo Maya Caribe
Barcelo Maya Caribe
#12 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras

Been to Sandos Caracol Eco Resort? Share your experiences!