“Overall a good experience, Excellent for Kids”

Sandos Caracol Eco Resort
Ranked #76 of 213 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersSilver level
North Bergen, NJ
“Overall a good experience, Excellent for Kids”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2014

As the title states, overall it was a good experience. Travelled with extended family and their kids. Kids really liked the animals everywhere as well as the pools and the beach. Food was ok, some of the dinners were good, but we were disappointed with the Brazilian rodizio as the meat wasn't very good and you only get one round, they don't keep going like most places so get multiple pieces in case you like one of them! We had an adult select club deluxe room which is a little nicer than the standard rooms, but also gives you access to the adults only sections of the resort, which is probably better if you don't have any kids. They had really good shows at night which the kids loved. As everyone stated the beach is rocky, so bring water shoes and you'll be fine. They will try to sell you a timeshare package so just be aware. Its up to you whether the gifts they offer in return are worth the 3-4 hours of your time (even though they say its 1-2 hours#. My biggest complaint is with some of the staff. The reservation system there is very sketchy. When they give you the paper when you make your reservation, don't loose it as they have no other record that you even had a reservation. We forgot ours and no one had any record of our reservation anywhere. They also said they were booked full and they couldn't accommodate our group of six. After the 10 min round trip walk back to the room #yes the resort is quite large# we gave the reservation paper to them and then everything was OK. Funny thing is we walked in and there were like 5 other people in the restaurant. Booked full? I think not. Also we booked the romantic package for my gf and I. The room was decorated nicely when we got there (with just married tshirts too!) but no one could find that detail on our reservation when we tried to book our romantic dinner package. When we finally did find someone to book our romantic dinner, the restaurant never got the memo and we just had a regular dinner. Complaining to the front desk/reservations people fell upon deaf ears, as they couldn't confirm we had the romantic package booked and refused to rebook our dinner or offer any else in lieu of the dinner. I would not recommend getting this package as it seems to be a hassle to get what you pay for. I've stayed at many different resorts in Cancun, and while this resort is really good for kids #special pool areas, water park, shows, buffets, animals, etc.) I think the service, food options and beaches are better in most parts of Cancun.

3 Thank wd00

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,107)
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Niagara-on-the-Lake, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2014

We returned from a 1 week stay at the Caracol with our daughter and her husband and 3 year old son
The resort continues to excel with it's service and hospitality. Our Grandson had an absolute blast and the staff in the dining rooms were fantastic with him. On our last night it was his 3rd birthday and Fatima at the cutomer service set up a cake and candles for him nd it was absolutely amazing. The mariachi band showed up and sang happy birthday to him, the waiter gave him a soda boom boom ( certainly not tequila, we had those ). Every a la carte restaurant was excellent. We went to the Italian, Mediterranean and the Steak and Sea Food.
We went on a bike ride around the resort and saw the famous monkeys swinging in the trees. The water park for the kids was fantastic and very well supervised. The whole experience was once again amazing and we would certainly return for the third time. If anyone is looking for a family holiday with lots to do GO THERE, you will not be dissapointed.

Room Tip: For families certainly the family rooms with the pll out bed sofa. For couples the adults only secti...
1 Thank GRF1956
Sandos_Caracol, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Sandos Caracol Eco Resort, responded to this review, June 9, 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about your holiday here at Sandos Caracol Eco Experience Resort.

It’s fantastic to hear that you had such a wonderful time in the hotel. We really appreciate you taking the time to leave your feedback about the hotel, and particularly about the staff. In the name of every member of the Sandos Caracol family I send you fondest regards and look forward to your return visit in the future!

Wishing you all the best,

grimsby
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2014

We (my husband and 2 girls (age 11 & 8) stayed at the resort from 19 May - 25 May and then 28 May - 2 June, trying two different room types - Block 18 with a jacuzzi outside and Block 56 jacuzzi inside. Rooms were cleaned to a good standard and more than adequate and spacious for our needs. We only used the indoor jacuzzi once as it took so long to fill (and the excessive use of water didn't seem to fit with an 'eco resort'. The highlights of the resort are the staff, entertainment, quality of the food and drink and the resort setting in general.

I put a lot of time and effort into my research before choosing Sandos Caracol and am really pleased that I did. It ticked all the boxes for us as a family. From the first contact with the resort via emails to Fatima I was impressed. During our first stay, we packed in lots of activities including great Zumba lessons twice a day with 2 Canadian Ladies, aqua gym (with the entertainments team) , eco tour with Ramon, cycling, 3 shows, snorkelling, swimming........ Then on Day 4 I discovered where the Yoga was being held. I wish I had found out how to get to this slightly earlier in my holiday but never mind!!! The teacher Juan Carlos is exceptional, he manages to deliver a class 6 days per week to people who range from beginners to those who practice on a regular basis and are at a very good level. I did 5 sessions during the holiday and felt great afterwards.

We visited all the buffet restaurants and enjoyed the Mexican for Breakfast and Italian for Lunch. There is also a fantastic snack bar which the girls loved to go to (they liked the swings!!). The a la cartes we tried were also very good - I enjoyed the Brazilian the best, my husband said the steak he had at Los Liros was one of the best he had ever had, my eldest liked the Japanese (for the wow factor) and the youngest loved the Italian. Service at all of these restaurants was of a very high standard.

In our second stay in block 56 we were a little further away from the main buffets and swimming area, but to honest nothing is really that far away, and once you get your head round the shortcuts it is quite easy. (it only becomes annoying if you have forgotten something you need in your room!!) On our return (after visiting Akumal for a couple of days and Vallodolid), it was great to settle back in. We saw a couple more shows - with the Saturday Xcalacoco show having to be moved to the 'Theatre' area due to the rain. Tried to play tennis (but the conditions were a bit too hot and humid for us Brits), had a lovely hour with Alonso planting a tree, deep tissue massage with Charly (at the spa) - and back to our yoga, zumba, aerobics and bingo.

On the Friday, we went and spent the day at the Sandos Playacar resort (just the cost of a taxi ride) - the beach was fab and we wished we had done that trip earlier as unfortunately the Saturday and Sunday were a wash out - with the staff working very hard to squeegee the water out of the way and provide some transport round the site (although it was a bit crazy and umbrellas were available but became scarce quickly).

Had I experienced more rainy days than we did, I don't think I would have enjoyed the resort as much as I did. The staff did a great job altering the entertainment and activities, however your room does then become more important to you and for some reason the water did seem to seep through the walls making it feel damp.

I still give the resort and my experience 5 stars, as we had a great time, would love to return and thought it was great value for money.

5 Thank pandaGrimsby
Dear guest,

I am happy to hear that you had such a good time with us and want to thank you for writing this lovely comment on Trip Advisor, all the members of the staff you got to know during your recent holiday appreciates it!

We're so thrilled that you had so wonderful days here and that your family enjoyed all the hotel had to offer too. We appreciate you taking the time to name some of our members staff, we are all touched by your comments and are glad that we were able to contribute to making your holiday such a happy one.

We´re glad you enjoyed the varied selection of a la carte restaurants and also our buffets and the snack bar, and I hope that we will be able to welcome you again soon!

Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2014

My son and his family went to Caracol last year. My wife and I decided to accompany them this year as a 40th anniversary present to ourselves. We had a terrific time. The grounds are beautiful and very well maintained. It was fun to see the animals roaming the grounds, with the possible exception of when they try and jump on your table in the snack bar and snatch food off your plate, as they seem prone to do in the evening. The shows and other evening activities were nicely done, and offered nice variety. Food at the al a carte's was generally excellent (Mediterranean was the favorite). The buffets were pretty common and became less appealing as the 10 days wore on. The grounds are very extensive, so you will give your pedometer a workout getting around. The rocky beach is well documented, so I won't dwell on that. The activities in the pool are a bit repetative, but it really contributed to a festive atmosphere. The staff was very curteous and genuinely seemed commited to accomodating your needs. If I had to grump about anything, it would be the room service was hit and miss. Some days they would leave the appropariate numbers of towels and washclothes, and some days they didn't. The beds are very firm, but I liked that. The pillows were like sleeping on sacks of flour however. Most of the RS staff does not speak English, so communicating is a challenge. Complaining to guest services and the concierge did not produce any improvement. Since this is our first experience with all inclusives, and a family friendly resort is a requirement (going with the grandchildren is a treat) I don't have a basis to compare, but would not hesitate to go here again.

Room Tip: The buildings in the 30's are more centrally located in realtion to plaza and beach.
1 Thank Watson52
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience at Sandos Caracol Eco Experience Resort.

We are so glad that you and your family had such a fantastic time here. We really appreciate your praise regarding all our excellent hard working staff in the hotel, and they are all so happy that they contributed to your overall positive experience. We have taken your suggestions into consideration and inform you that our goal is to keep on improving constantly not only the rooms also some other interesting issues our guests as yourself let us know, we appreciate your input very much.

We hope that you will be back to see us again in the future, write us before and we repeat this fantastic experience once again!

Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2014

This was an AWESOME resort to stay at. I would HIGHLY recommend going here, especially if you've got kids.

I loved eating breakfast with the parrots, peacocks and other animals every morning, or watching the slider turtles swim by and catch some sun. There are monkeys, deers, donkeys, kittens and other neat animals on site which make it all so much more interesting. They also provide daily eco tour activities and nightly entertainment. You could keep yourself busy just by staying at this resort. Oh they also have daily bike tours that take you to the Mayan ruins they have on site as well.

Every day their eco tours include some activity or learning experience around Mayan culture. One of the guys giving the eco tours was highly educated to be doing what he was doing, and LOVES his job, it shows through in his passion. I was the only one that showed up for one of the tours and told him he didn't have to take just me alone and could have a break, but he was like "no, I love doing this!" and he really wanted to take me on the tour. Eventually two more joined in with their daughter, but he was just as eager to do this for a small group as he would for a big group. It really goes a long way when you have staff as passionate as that.

The hotel room was just as described in the photos, so I was happy for that - no lies or false advertising. It's also quite clean. However, there were some bugs in my room but I figured well, this is Mexico, so you deal with it. Not a lot, but still kind of gross. There was also a smell of something, maybe mould, but I'm not sure. I just washed everything when I was back. That is one reason I would give it 4 starts and not 5.

But honestly, this was an extremely well staffed, put together, well organized, fully thought out resort. Super professional and every one is so friendly there. Even the gardeners would say "Ola" to you as you walked by.

Room service was also prompt and I got a free upgrade when I was there. It was very kind of them. They also have a doctor on staff 24 hours which is good and although there's no wifi in the rooms, you can get really decent wifi in some public areas, like enough to stream video. I found that amazing - they weren't cheaping out on that. They've won awards and things, and are a really great hotel to stay at.

Food is great. I only went to buffets and didn't use any of my a la carte reservations because I like to eat when I'm hungry, not when "it's time" to go to a reservation. Plus I was in Mexico and wasn't there to eat Asian or Greek food - I wanted the full Mexican experience! I only wish the Mexican buffet restaurant was open more often (it's not open for lunch or breakfast either I think). But the International restaurant was open for 3 meals a day, and they would have something Mexican there in the way of food anyway, so I guess that was ok. The selection was great, and when you're there, ask for watermelon water or papaya water - don't settle for the 'regular' juices you'd get at home!

Their snack bar is open 24 hours a day and it's not only "snacks" - I mean you could get a hot dog and a decent fast-food type of meal there at any time of day if you wanted. Even fresh fruit, coffee, juice - you won't ever go hungry in this resort! Oh and there are quite a few bars that will serve both alcoholic and non alcoholic drinks (like smoothies - as much as you want!) and espresso-style coffee (the mocha is soooo good!)

They do a lot to keep the kids busy. They even had a piñata making session and I was so jealous I couldn't go as an adult!

Sunday is Mariachi night and that seems to be one of the only nights you can get truly all-Mexican entertainment in. I wish there was more of that. It is a very hilarious show. I LOVED the performer. He was very engaging.

You don't have to tip at this resort because it's all inclusive, but honestly the staff is all so amazing, so willing to help, so nice and always going out of their way for you, so I think they deserve tips :)

The last few days I was there I would get these neat towel arrangements formed into a fish, a bunny rabbit or a doll. That's on top of the swan towel arrangement you get when you first arrive. And on the last day they put flower petals on my bed in the shape of a heart!

Oh also something they don't tell you on all their advertising is they have crafts that you can do. Some cost extra I think, but still fun to do. And they have a souvenir shop on site, to save you from having to go into town, and yes, it's fairly reasonably priced.

This place is also built to be as eco friendly as possible. So they didn't get rid of their mangroves for the sake of making all beach front rooms - that really ruins the environment. There are also natural cenotes (sink holes) there and you can go snorkelling and see fish and turtles right on site.

If you go on tours, you'll get picked up right at the lobby and can also book your tours on site. They also have pay phones.

Oh another reason I would give this place 4 stars instead of 5 is that to call a toll free number you get charged $6 to dial out. That's strange. So if you want to use your own calling card, you get charged extra. But people can call in to the resort and request your room number and that won't cost you anything, so that's ok. And I guess wifi in the rooms would have been nice.

The beach is quite rocky - like really, really rocky, it's almost impossible to swim or even walk in there and it hurt a lot to try to get out of there (stubbed my toes more than once!). They really need to work on that. But I heard the entire area is rocky south of Cancun, so what can you do. The pools are very nice, and the adults-only pool is very warm, which I liked because I don't like cold water. You can taxi to their other resort in Playa Del Carmen which I heard from another traveller has a much nicer beach.

Other than that, I think this place is great!

Room Tip: The Select Club is quieter because it's adults only and you won't hear the loud music from t...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
6 Thank Joyce G
Dear Guest,

A holiday is what you make it to be and that is what you did! Thank you very much for leaving this wonderful and complete review to all our future visitors and also to the management of the Sandos Caracol Eco Experience Resort. Your valuable comments are very much appreciated and also the time it has taken, and we feel honoured that you wrote so many nice words about our resort!

I am glad that you had time to join one of our eco tours, they are a very important part of our Xcalacoco Experience which is one of the things that differentiates us from the other all-inclusive resorts. Furthermore, I am glad that you enjoyed our selection buffets and that you got to enjoy your time here with us.

Regarding the beaches, in Mexico they are federal property therefore no hotel is allowed without due government permission, to undertake any corrective work even if it is to improve it or make it more accessible not only to customers around the hotel within that beach area, but the public at large.
We have thousands of customers who visited this property in the past, many who still come as re-peat customers and can agree that our beach was one of the nicest beaches in the area and that indeed it has endured some negative changes in the past years as a result of terrible weather conditions such as storms and systematic erosion. We will make it better when the permission of the government is in our hands.

Gilbert, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2014

May 27- June1, 2014

I normally don't write reviews but I thought I really needed to this time because of some of the negative comments written. I am sure there are occasional problems but if our experience was the norm, this is a very nice resort. Our room was very clean and the staff did a nice job of cleaning it on a daily basis. While the room is kind of basic, I wouldn't expect more from an eco-resort. The beds were firm but we slept well, bathroom, shower, sink areas were all clean. The a/c worked well. The only problem was the ceiling fan made some noise so we just shut it off. The fridge was also well stocked. We had absolutely no problems with the room - which was a standard room.

The place is huge with a lot of daily/nightly activity. We saw a couple of the night shows and they were well done. Yes,the beach is rocky but it isn't difficult to find a place to get wet. As others have suggested bring beach shoes. The cenote was beautiful and it was a very refreshing place for a swim. We could have probably just stayed at the resort and we would have had plenty to do. The food at the buffets was good. We had excellent meals at breakfast, lunch and dinner at all of the buffet restaurants. Because we were there for 5 nights we were able to select two of the ala carte restaurants. We picked the steak place and the Brazilian restaurant. The meals at both were incredible as was the service. Even though this is an all inclusive, I would encourage people to tip the staff. They all worked very hard and were quite friendly.

The only drawback is that upon arrival you are greeted by an individual who is "there to give you an orientation" after you register. This is the timeshare presentation. While I was already aware they would try this, it is really unfair to trick people in this manner. I am sure there are people who are tricked into thinking this will provide them a lot of information about the resort. While it may provide you with a better understanding, it is actually a ploy to get you into a long, undesirable meeting with a lot of high pressure individuals. I declined in a polite manner, but I had to decline at least two more time and each time I was a little more direct. He finally took the clue and said if I wanted to meet later to let him know. I kind of felt like after this the registration staff just leaves you on your own to find your room which was fine with me. I also asked if there was a map and they said one was posted in our room - true but nothing is identified on it. Funny because I went about 10 feet down from registration and the concierge gave me a nice map with everything identifiable. This was really the only negative thing that happened and if you are aware of it up front you can fairly easily avoid getting sucked in. Other than that it was a very nice week. We went snorkeling about 25 minutes from the resort, snorkeled at Akumal Beach, visited Tulum, snorkeled in several cenotes - one was completely underground and rode ATV's through the jungle. Lots of good memories.

12 Thank rbm3clover
Dear Guest,

First of all thank you for trusting the Sandos Caracol Eco Experience Resort and choosing us to enjoy your holidays. We really appreciate that you are taking the time to send us some valuable comments about your stay with us, and we will pass on the comments to all the departments mentioned. The comments and suggestions we receive from our guests are very important to maintain the quality and service in the Sandos Caracol Eco Experience Resort.

I am glad to hear that you were happy with your room, the staff and our general service and that you had a good time during your stay here with us and we hope to see you soon in paradise!

Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2014

Nice staff. Clean rooms. Staff remembered us from a year before. We do get the penthouse as we like room service and little extras. The food is very good and easy to get. Kids entertained with special activities like mechanical bull and water orbs. Hors d'oeuvres served at the pool side in afternoon. Love the beach Zumba! Probably go back. We do like to change places though. Have yet to get to Disney.

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Linda L
Sandos_Caracol, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Sandos Caracol Eco Resort, responded to this review, June 5, 2014
Dear Linda,

Your comments regarding your recent stay in the Sandos Caracol Eco Experience Resort are very much appreciated by the entire team of workers you recently met during your holidays.

Thanks to the time you have invested in leaving your experience on Trip Advivor site, lots of other people who are thinking about the Riviera Maya will read how beautiful the Mexican attention to the guests is in our resort. All of our staff endeavour to deliver a personal touch to all guests in the hotel, and we are delighted that you experienced this.

In the hope we will see you soon again in the Sandos Caracol Eco Experience Resort, we invite you to write us a mail before your visit to help you with any requests you may have.

webrelations.caracol@sandos.com
Barcelo Maya Tropical
#7 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.5 of 5 bubbles 4,180 reviews
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Barcelo Maya Caribe
Barcelo Maya Caribe
#12 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,997 reviews

Been to Sandos Caracol Eco Resort? Share your experiences!