“Great, relaxing resort”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Fortville, Indiana
“Great, relaxing resort”
Reviewed May 13, 2014

This was our second stay at Sandos Caracol and we had a wonderful week. This is a large resort with several different sections of room types. We stayed in the Select Club, All Adult Section and this time chose a deluxe room. We were not disappointed. The room was huge, well appointed and kept immaculately clean by the housekeeping staff. We had a large balcony with a nice hot-tub. Our room overlooked the wooded area behind the all-adult pool and the trees were filled with birds, squirrels, and monkeys. We loved it.
As noted, this is a very large resort with some distances to walk to restaurants, bars, and the beach area. Shuttles are available from the lobby to most places you would want to go and will come pick you back up if you ask. Most walks are, at most, 5-10 minutes. But it can get very hot in the afternoons, so the shuttles are nice if you want to take a ride.
We found the food to be good to excellent, especially in the alacarte restaurants. We paid a second visit to both the Brazilian and Los Liros restaurants and also ate at the Mediterranean Restaurant. We found all three to be good choices, but this trip give the Mediterranean our top pick. The Mexican Buffet was also very good. The International Buffet has a good selection of foods, but can get quite crowded, hot and noisy since it is the main place to eat all three meals. The Mexican Buffet provides a quieter, more relaxing dinner experience for those nights when you don't have reservations at one of the restaurants.
This trip we were able to take several of the morning eco-tours. Noemi and Alonso were both very knowledgeable about the eco-systems in the resort. I recommend taking time to walk with them and explore a bit of Sandos Caracol. The tours are about 40 minutes long and not a difficult walk. It can, however, get hot. I suggest wearing comfortable shoes, a hat, and bringing along water.
We went to two of the evening shows. The Superheros Show was fun, as was the Freddy Jackson review. It does get hot in the theater and a few more well placed fans would be welcome.
The entire staff of the Caracol presented themselves professionally and truly seem to care that guests enjoy their stay at the resort. They work hard and we appreciated all their efforts. All-in-all we had a wonderful vacation and once again came back home hoping that we will visit there again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank IndyKat15
Sandos_Caracol, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Sandos Caracol Eco Resort, responded to this review, May 16, 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for choosing, not only once, but twice, as your holiday destination. We hope that thi second time was at least as good as the first one!

Im thrilled to hear that you enjoyed our eco tours with our wonderlful eco animators Noemi and Alonso who work very hard every day to pass on their knowledge on our resort! I make sure to mention you and your nice comment to them!

Also thank you for giving such great insight about our restaurants at the hotel! Personally, La Riviera is also my top favorite!

Thanks to the time you have invested in leaving your experience on the tripadvisor travel site, lots of other people who are thinking about the Riviera Maya will read how beautiful the Mexican attention to the guests is in our resort.

In the hope we will see you soon again in the Sandos resorts, we invite you to write us a mail before your visit to help you with any requests you may have.

Sandos Caracol Eco Experience Resort

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,140)
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Massachusetts
Reviewed May 13, 2014

This is a fabulous resort! The Select Club for Adults Only is definitely worth the upgrade if you are looking for a vacation without children. (There are plenty of amenities for families with children as well.) The buffets and ala carte restaurants were the best I have enjoyed in an all-inclusive resort - everything from osso bucco at the buffet to lamb chops and grilled tuna steaks at the restaurants. The concierge staff (especially Martin) were most accommodating and helpful. The entertainment staff - make sure you do water aerobics with Marianna and Blass - go out of their way to make sure you have fun! I will definitely consider a Sandos resort for our next getaway!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank KBS417
Dear guest,

Martin, Mariana and Blass wil be thrilled to hear how nice comments you have wrote about them!

I am thrilled to hear that you have enjoyed the Adults Only section and lifestyle here at Sandos Caracol, if it is true that we are mostly a family resort, we like to have something for every taste to have a great time here at out resort!

Windsor, Canada
Reviewed May 13, 2014

This was our sixth trip to this property in the past two years. Needless to say, we clearly are happy with our stays. This trip did not disappoint. We noticed that the property was exceptionally clean and we couldn't seem to find a thing out of place, and the grounds are beautify and well manicured.

The food quality has improved since our last visit, and my favourite meal of the entire stay was at the vegetarian restaurant, Salvia. We had not tried it in December given our children weren't interested in vegetarian fare, however, given they weren't with us we gave it a try. One myth that was busted for us was that the restaurant is strictly vegetarian - but don't worry, there are some entrees that can be ordered for the carnivores in your family. We both had the risotto and it was fabulous, as was the pumpkin and lentil soups. With a few overlooking the sea, you can't go wrong.

We were lucky to have the spider monkeys entertain us our our balcony each morning!

Minor changes keep being made to improve the property. The move to have alcohol free zones such as aqua park is great. As well, the bar is no longer set up at the snack bar. These are positive steps in my opinion.

The other great thing to see in the pool and resort areas was the use of the smoking huts/designated areas. It was great that people who choose to smoke use them. I only wish something could be figured out for the beach.

We love the Sandos Caracol property and will be back in the near future.

Given I am an agent, I split my time between Caracol and another resort this trip in order to see another property in the region. This is the second time I have done this, and honestly, the other resorts can't compare. I need to wise up and visit those properties at the beginning of my stay so I can return to Caracol at the end - saving the best until last.

Truly, it has become like a second home, and staff greet us as if we are family. It is amazing they remember not only our faces, but our names, and inquire about family members who remained at home. Their sincerity is touching!

Hats off to the ownership and management and staff of Sandos Caracol for creating a unique hotel in the region that offers guests the opportunities to make memories that will last a lifetime.

Room Tip: Building 63 penthouse has monkey entertainment!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rubyq
Dear guest,

It is never overrated to thank over and over again for such wonderful comments that our guests leave us!

This complete review about our hotel only rewards the enourmous merit of all the staff that put such personal effort and joy on their daily jobs to try and make this the best resort available for our guest.

Been this your sixth time at our hotel sure says that we are showing some improvement and even though not all messages are so nice, we take them all into consideration in order to keep improving ourselves!

Once again thank you for taking the time to share with the community of Trip Advisor your insight on our hotel,

In the hope to see you back a 7th time either on a couple or family trip please dont hesitate to contact us so we can help you with any request you may have!

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed May 12, 2014 via mobile

Sandos was amazing! Serene, beautiful surroundings, animals walking around everywhere, excellent service EVERYWHERE around the resort, excellent good quality food (and lots to choose from).
We stayed in the adults only section which was really nice.
We mostly did alot of excursions around Quintana Roo, but Sandos made every coming back to the resort or waking up a really nice and pleasant experience and woke up well rested every day.
Also, me being a vegetarian- two of the evenings we ate outside Laguna buffet restaurant, there weren't any or that much veggie options but the waiter from one of the restaurants even walked to another restaurant to bring the menu from over there and walked back to pick up a veggie main course for me.
And in the Brazilian restaurant near the pool the chef personally offered me to cook something veggie for me even though I told him I was okay.
Excellent all over service. Really loved it!

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
4 Thank Roxanne H
Dear guest,

We like to show off about our excellent service whenever we speak about our hotel, but this only becomes real when the reviews appear and the highlights of our guest holidays are the service related comments!

This review about our hotel only rewards the enourmous merit of all the staff that put such personal effort and joy on their daily jobs to try and make this the best resort available for our guest.

Regarding the restaurants, I hope you had the chance to visit our vegetarian restaurant La Salvia, the newset addition to A la carte restaurants! If you did not, it sounds like this is what you had that night at the main buffet!

Thank you again for sharing your insights on our resort, and in the hope we will see you soon again in the Sandos resorts, we invite you to write us a mail before your visit to help you with any requests you may have.

Merrill, Wisconsin
Reviewed May 12, 2014

My husband and I renewed our vows during a 14 day stay. If you don't want to waste time planning every tiny detail of a wedding leave it up to these capable ladies! I wanted to enjoy my time there instead of hashing out wedding planning. Marine and her assistants made it easy for me. I chose my bouquet and they coordinated everything else for the bridesmaids and groomsmen. I went to the photo building two days before the ceremony and voila, the had photographers available for me. The pictures are STUNNING! I don't understand why anyone would have a wedding any other way. We had 15 people with us and everyone enjoyed their time there.The only issue we had was that our 4 children were part of our wedding (15, 12, and twins 11) They were so excited to celebrate with us by dancing the night away at the disco, the only place to go and dance on the resort, and we were told that they could not be there. Our kids were VERY disappointed and a few tears were shed. It was a tough situation for us but maybe the resort could figure something out for future families. Since it is, after all, a family resort. Overall, I DID indeed have the wedding of my dreams! Thanks to Marine and her amazing team!

2 Thank ccgebbs
Dear guest,

On behalf of the general management of the Sandos Eco Experience Resort we truly appreciate the time you have taken to write about your stay and to share your vacation experience with the Tripadvisor Community.

Not being married myself I can not start to understand how stressful this can get but Im sure it can reach amaying levesl, so Im thrilled to hear that you didnt have to experience much of this! And that everything went according to the plan, our wedding staff sure puts all their efforts to make every event go as smooth as possible, I will make sure to pass on the nice comments to them!

Regarding the Disco at night, I can understand how it was dissapointing that you couldnt find a place for dancing after 11 with the entire family, but I hope you enjoyed our Salsa nights at the main theater before 11 pm!

Reviewed May 11, 2014

This Resort is in the Jungle and it was absolutely beautiful. Walking trails, biking trails, Eco tours, swimming, night shows, lots of wildlife, cenotes, and much more. Simply Amazing!Pretty much all the staff throughout this Resort were very warm and friendly.

We stayed in a Royal Elite room and it was lovely and upgraded. Worth paying the difference.The A/C also worked very well. We were a couple with 2 kids. The room has 2 bedrooms one with a king bed and the other with a full size sofa bed and a large balcony. We stayed very near the beach, in room 804, which was an advantage so we didn't have to walk much to get to the pool and the beach as all as all the restaurants.

The beach was not the best beach we have been to. It was very disappointing. As stated over and over on here, there were lots of rocks in ocean. There are also sea urchins and seaweed. If you are a beach person, you will be disappointed.

The area with the chairs has a lot of chairs and people packed in, but that is to be expected, as this is a very large resort. That said, we never had a problem getting chairs.

We also visited Sandos Playacar while we were there the beach is AMAZING, white sand and one of the best beaches I have ever been to. Its totally different than the Sandos Caracol, and it is just 15 min by car.

The food at the resort ranged from ok to great. The buffets were ok....they were just buffet food. The a la carte restaurants were good. I would recommend the El Templo Tappanyaki.
We really enjoyed our stay.

Have an open mind! Nowhere in the world is perfect!!

Room Tip: Stay in the Royal Elite rooms, its worthwhile!!
3 Thank Heloveamir
Sandos_Caracol, Public Relations Manager at Sandos Caracol Eco Resort, responded to this review, May 20, 2014
Dear guest,

The opinion of every traveler helps us to maintain or in this case to improve experiences in our resort and we want to thank you for your time in leaving us your view on our resort.

Every opinion shared it's very important for us and taken very sreiously and it is thanks to this reviews that we can improve our service and facilities and work harder to make our resort the best available option for our guest.

Im glad to hear you had the chance to visit the Japanese restaurant I really hope your whole family enjoyed the food show!

Thank you once more for taking the time to share your insights with the Tip Advisor community,

Sandos Caracol Eco Experience Resort,
Essex, UK
Reviewed May 10, 2014

Stayed in a Royal Elite Penthouse (322) from 3 to 17 April, myself and 12 year old daughter. We both had a fabulous time and have just booked to go back again next Easter holiday 2015. The room was lovely, great view and oversized balcony (compared to others). The Royal Elite pool was always a pleasure to use every single day, the area was very nice overall and I'm glad that we were Royal Elite guests so could use this facility. The beach was very nice and I enjoyed wandering up and down it taking photos. We also visited Sandos Playacar while we were there and although some might consider it a better beach there, I actually preferred Sandos Caracol beach as to me it was more picturesque. We visited all of the a la carte restaurants apart from Salvia (vegetarian restaurant) and enjoyed all of them. My personal favourites were Los Lirios and El Templo. We enjoyed La Laguna buffet for breakfast and La Toscana for lunch. We also frequented the snack bar in between. Alex Nova Cruz was extremely helpful to us prior to arrival in securing our a la carte restaurant reservations and was a mine of information for all other trivial questions we put to him. He also secured us an invite to the weekly Royal Elite Beach Club BBQ on the terrace which was very nice. Service throughout the resort was excellent. My only disappointment was that we couldn't do the "romantic" boat ride. It's reserved for couples but myself and my daughter would have enjoyed it but were prevented from experiencing it. We both enjoyed the jungle eco tours taken by Noemi and I allowed my daughter to go off on her own with Noemi and the rest of the group daily. My daughter went to every single one of them and became quite attached to Noemi during the course of our 2 week holiday. I also went to the photo safari and swam in the cenote, though I would say that we first swam unguided in the cenote with my daughter and wasn't that impressed but when we went again with Noemi and Alonzo on the cenote tour we learned so much about it so viewed it through completely different eyes than the first time and it made a lot of difference. The evening entertainment was good, more suited to a younger audience I'd say but it is a family resort so to be expected. We particularly enjoyed the Freddy (Michael) Jackson show and the Superhero show. Great choice of drinks and food all day in various locations throughout the resort, all very nice. I particularly liked the help yourself offerings at the El Nido snack bar and ice cream (though the machine wasn't always working). There were also slushies and an ice cream machine available at the aqua park. My daughter was too old for the aqua park, she wasn't interested in going. I'd say it's more for under 8's. We loved the Xcalacoco shows, particularly the Fire Ceremony which was spectacular. We also enjoyed wandering around the grounds and jungle looking for animals and saw iguanas, various species of birds, spider monkeys, numerous coati's, racoons (at night), and even squirrels! Every member of staff we came into contact with was beyond helpful and the whole experience left me so relaxed while there, it was a great feeling which continued long after I arrived home. We completely loved the resort and are already counting the days until we return next March.

5 Thank MumofOne
Dear guest,

I will also pass on the nice reviews to Alex Nova who is always up to date making sure our guest have nothing to worry about once they arrive to our premises. Regarding the boat ride, it is for security of our guest that we prevent younger people on joining this.

Please dont hesitate to contact us again before you come next time, so we can help you with any request you may have.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Barcelo Maya Tropical
#7 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.5 of 5 bubbles 4,284 reviews
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Barcelo Maya Caribe
Barcelo Maya Caribe
#12 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,097 reviews

Been to Sandos Caracol Eco Resort? Share your experiences!