15,637 results
All reviews select club aqua park kids club international buffet los lirios mayan shows water shoes el templo romantic boat ride main pool jade river la toscana vegan restaurant adults only section royal elite section select area kids water park
Reviewed November 3, 2013

Thank you Sandos for a wonderful time!
There were 24 of us that went. Three children between the ages of 6-10 and 21 adults. I cannot begin to tell you what a great time we had. The resort was very clean, the staff were nice and the accommodations were more than expected. We also found it very interesting that this was an Eco Friendly resort. The animals were most interesting and although we had to fend off some of your furry friends, we enjoyed the experience.
Some of the activities that we all enjoyed while staying at the resort were the buffets, restaurants, nightly shows, music and the kids club!
I would highly recommend this resort if you have children or just want to "play and have fun"!

Room tip: We stayed in room numbers in the 1700's and they where in a good central location for everything we needed to do or get to while we were there.
2  Thank Kate A
Sandos_Caracol, Manager at Sandos Caracol Eco Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 10, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your comments about Sandos Caracol Eco Resort & Spa.

We are thrilled that you and your group had such a fantastic time! The cleaning staff work tirelessly to ensure that the resort is left sparkling at all times so your comments are very much appreciated.

We're glad that you embraced the eco element of the hotel, and that you also enjoyed all the nightly shows we have on offer. We have a full programme of shows which all start at 20:30. Our current shows include, Circus acts, Talent contests, Mayan Xcalacoco ceremony, Sandos Music Awards, Disney, Michael Jackson and Mexican traditions!

We thank you for your high recommendations and we hope that you will be back to see us again in the future!

Reviewed November 3, 2013

We spent a week at the Sandos Caracol resort met other family with kids ages 4 to 12. The resort is very clean, with the town house style accommodations and the boardwalks through mangroves you definitely do not feel like you are staying in a hotel. Buffet selections were good and we when to the seafood restaurant and the Italian restaurant and the steak restaurant with the seafood restaurant being the best. The is lots of wildlife around especially the racoons which are very bold if that bothers you then I suggest you find a more sterile environment. The beach itself is good but there are rock outcroppings in the water but that did not slow anyone down. The resort has its own cenote which is fresh and cool and a must do. We would definitely go back.

Date of stay: February 2013
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank Goriders99

Dear Guest,

We are thrilled to hear that you had a great time during your vacation here with us. Fantastic to hear that you tried some of our a la carte restaurants but also appreciated the extensive variety on offer in our main restaurant, La Laguna.

The cenote is so beautiful and we are so lucky to have a natural one within the grounds of the hotel. We actually have 4 cenotes in total. Everyday at 10:30 our eco tour departs from the Sports bar which gives guests the opportunity to learn more about all the wonderful vegetation we have here, and their links to the mayan culture.

We are so glad that you would definitely come back! We await your email informing us of your next trip!
We look forward to seeing you back here soon!

Reviewed November 2, 2013

This was my second time visiting your hotel, and I brought a friend, it was her first time. We had such an amazing time, she is already set to book her next visit. Everything was wonderful, but the over the top experience is absolutely due to the staff you have, my favorite waitress in the restaurant Sara and in the bar Ricardo. Everyone is so nice and helpful and most of all FUN!! And a special shout out to Nicki the Belgian lady, she was amazing, she helped us with our luggage trouble, our room, she was there in the morning, afternoon and evening, and she gave us such great information to help us while we were visiting areas off the resorts property, thanks again Nicki!

The Sandos Caracol is built around a jungle with many animals including monkeys! So fun and exciting to see them up in the trees or on the thatched rooftops! Several other guests told us they'd had monkeys on their balconies, but we never did. The jungle is also home to many other animals and birds, so much to see and different from other resorts! The resort is spotless and the staff works incredibly hard and is always so helpful and friendly that a dollar or two is no big deal. We brought 100$ in singles and used them all in the week (the tip for our housekeeper was separate from this)

We would highly recommend this resort to anyone looking to get away from the ordinary. It's a reasonably priced vacation that is good for most couples and families. I did not see a big singles contingent and there's not a lot of nightlife and craziness unless you go into Playa Del Carmen. See you next year!

Room tip: Villa 28 was great for us!
2  Thank 1301TK

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about your stay here with us at Sandos Caracol Eco Resort & Spa.

It´s fantastic to hear that you had such a wonderful time here with your friend! We are so glad that we continue to impress you with our service and friendly staff members. We appreciate you signalling some of our excellent personnel that help put a smile on your faces during your vaction. They are all touched that you took the time to thank them personally.

We're so glad that you loved seeing all the wild animals. The monkeys are a hoot, absolutely amazing creatures!

We hope that you will be back to see us soon. Great to hear that you're friend is already planning her return trip.

Please write to us to let us know when you are planning to come back.

Reviewed November 1, 2013

Very few negatives about this hotel, so will get them out of the way first.
Guest Services (aka timeshare) because i never went to see them they tried to ring me at 8:30AM every morning, in the end i just unplugged the phone unless i needed it for room service.
Some things which would improve the adult experience
Lack of an air-conditioned inside bar at night when the humidity made it uncomfortable to sit outside. (Maybe improve the beach club and keep open until 11 when the nightclub starts)

Select Club should increase allow A La Carte restaurant to include evenings as well as breakfast and lunch as the large canteen style buffet restaurants spoil the experience a bit.

Apart from that had a fantastic time mainly thanks to the wonderful staff that work here (apart from the aforementioned time share touts) From cleaners, bar staff, gardeners and restaurant staff, they were all happy, smiling and attentive and loved their jobs and provided the same service with a smile if they were tipped or not.
Special mentions to the Select restaurant staff, beach club staff and especially the night club staff who kept us happy with drinks and shots including a few new ones we requested.
Heard a few people moan about the standard rooms but i can only rate the rooms in the select club as excellent. Provided with spirits, cava, beers, soft drinks and hot drinks plus snacks in the room. Great amenities, walk in shower, jacuzzi bath and a very comfortable bed with both air-con and ceiling fan.
WiFi was a bit up and down but available at several locations and even in the room most of the time.
Not sure i would have enjoyed it so much if i wasn't in the select club which was adults only and more relaxing.
The A La Carte restaurants varied in quality with the Mediterranean by far the best of the bunch with the surf and turf so good i would happily have paid extra for. The Steak house was a close second, for the others the italian was good the rest not really worth bothering with to be honest.
If your ever hungry you also get 24 hour room service with a day and night menu which was an unexpected bonus.
Last but not least a massive praise to the Social Concierge Isobel Finlayson, our saying by the end of the two weeks was everybody needs an isobel in their lives. No matter what it was, any issues whatsoever she sorted it out and her passion for the hotel really stands out, always looking for ways to improve things and ensuring that as guests you are aware and take advantage of all the facilities that are on offer.
We will definitely be back in the future.

Room tip: If you do not have kids, book the select club it is worth every penny and more. Read the brochure provided in the rooms so you do not miss anything.
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
3  Thank davem1867

Dear Dave,

Thank you so much for sharing your wonderfully detailed experience at Sandos Caracol Eco Resort & Spa.

We are so glad that you and your lovely wife had such a fantastic time here. We really appreciate your praise regarding all our excellent hard working staff in the hotel, and they are all so happy that they contributed to your overall positive experience. We are definitely missing your presence in the Los Lirios disco!

It was so great to meet you both, and I'm glad that you managed to have such a relaxing time whilst you were here. The boys at La Riviera are waiting for your return visit!

We hope that you will be back to see us again in the future. Please keep in touch!!

Sandos Caracol Eco Hotel Resort & Spa

Reviewed October 31, 2013

We had a short stay at Sandos Eco from October 26 thru October 30. Been to Playa and it's all inclusives many times but first time at this resort. We got a great price so decided to go for it. Set really far back from the highway (i.e. no walking to the highway to catch the collectivo). Very nice grounds and well kept. We were in building 15 which was a great location to the beach, pool, lobby and restaurants. The place is huge and depending where you are you could be fairly far away but the grounds are great and would be a nice walk anyway. So here's my summary/opinion of the place. Sorry for the long review but hope it helps in your decision making.

ROOM:
We did not stay in the adult only or elite section, which was fine since our building was closer to everything than many of those. Building 15. Had a little pool and bar right behind the building which was nice if you just wanted to run down to grab a drink to bring back. Typical Mexican resort room. We had 2 double beds per our request, had a safe, tv, nice big bathroom and great shower. Bathroom did have a leak in it and the water leaked out into the room and I actually slipped and fell really badly, luckily with nothing more than a sore shoulder, elbow and hip (ugh). The part I absolutely hated about the room was the balcony...smallest balcony there ever was in anyplace I've been. They had two chairs on it but it was unrealistic for two people to be sitting out there at the same time. I have long legs and my knees touched the railing. If I had to guess I'd say it was about 5 feet wide and 3 feet deep. Also, no coffee pot in the room so you had to walk to the snack bar if you are an early bird for coffee. Pillows were a little on the hard side. My friend found a beetle in her suitcase and I found a dead one in mine when I came home...no big deal, it can be expected down there. Also lots of ants around the balcony area (not that we sat out there).

CHECK-IN/OUT/STAFF
Check in was a little long as a number of people arrived around the same time we did, but it wasn't a horrible wait. We arrived at 12:30 and our room was ready by 2:30 (to be expected). Was a little uncomfortable with them just leaving all the suitcases in the lobby, but all was fine. Like I said they were busy, but they didn't give us any information about the place upon checking in...no info on restaurants, no map, no info on beach towels, I went back later and a different sweet girl was there and she was very helpful. My travel partner went down early the morning we were leaving to find out if we needed to do anything for check out and was told no, then when our ride arrived the bell boys asked us for our checkout voucher (which we didn't get since they told us we didn't have to do anything) so it seemed they were a little confused (as were we lol). The staff was very friendly, the few things we asked for we got, they spoke good English.

POOL:
Didnt spend much time at the pool but it was big, clean, and very nice. Clean, nice bathrooms in the pool area. Nice swim up bar.

BEACH:
This is where I spent most of my time. Clean, water was warmer than I've ever felt in all my trips. Walking into the water is rocky, but you can find a few clear spots to make your way out into the ocean. They had the chairs a little cramped together, but there were many, along with lots of palm trees for shade. There are palapas, but they do get reserved early so if you want once you need to go down there early and throw something on a chair.

FOOD/DRINK:
I found the drinks to be fine, not weak (I had some one afternoon by the swimup pool bar and after 3 I was pretty tipsy).

Food was your average all inclusive food. Not gourmet and not bad. They had a large selection typical of all inclusives. At the main buffet you could anything from pasta to mexican and everything in between. The Mexican station was my favorite. Their pork dishes are very good as well as most of the chicken. Beef was hit or miss and not much seafood was offered during our nights there. They have theme nights at the buffet which are listed outside. Asian night, tex mex night, etc. Also have burgers, dogs, chicken nuggets and fries for the kids each night, and pizza. I was disappointed that neither lunch or dinner did they have pica de gallo out to go with their chips...only at breakfast. Breakfast was great with an omelet man, they also made crepes to order. Good breakfast selection but not one day did they have potatoes at breakfast. In my opinion the ala carte restaurants are never great at these places and we did got to one..La Riviera which was their Mediterranean restaurant. I had what they called a seafood casserole which was more of a stew. It was very average (I would have enjoyed the buffet better) My appetizer, soup and dessert were good. Snack bar open 24 hours with burgers, dogs, fries, nachos and a few other offerings. I've had better food at some other resorts, but I've also had worse. Put it this way, I did not starve and always found some things I really liked. They also had an italian buffet that you could go to for lunch but we never did.

THE ANIMALS:
This is the craziest place I've ever stayed in regard to the animals throughout. They have donkeys (that are really cute!) in a pen near the lobby. They have a deer park and monkeys. The crazy part is the coati that run around mostly all day near the snack bar (because people are feeding them even tho they are told not to). Long striped tails and very friendly...they will come right up to you. There are cats around the snack bar as well. Beware and don't leave a plate of food on the table. I set mine down and went back up to get a drink to come back and find a cat sitting on the table eating my chicken off my plate lol. What kind of freaked me out was the raccoons around the same area at night...raccoons in my area are not meant to be messed with. They are in garbage cans and running all around the snack bar area every night. We walked back to our room one night, turned to open the door and a raccoon had followed us up to our second floor and stood up on it's hind legs looking at us and I think he was trying to follow us into our room! Also when we were eating at the La Riviera outside restaurant we had a seat along the railing and a raccoon came up and crawled up on my friends side of the table to grab a berry off of her dessert plate! If you're not into critters, this might not be the place for you.

ENTERTAINMENT:
We only went to one theater show and it was their Cirque de Soleil type show and I have to say it was impressive. I don't usually like the shows and thought it was great. Lots of activities by the pool and beach as well.

All in all for the price we got it was a great stay. It did the trick for a 5 day getaway. A cab ride to town is $14 US and about a 15 minute drive. The resort is very jungly and rustic, lots of walking paths to explore, and cenotes all throughout. If I got a good price again I might go back, but I'd probably try a different one since there are so many down there. Hope this helps you out. Any questions feel free to ask.

Room tip: Building 15 or those right near it are in a great location to all the places you need to go. But it had a very small balcony. I saw some buildings that seemed to have bigger ones.
5  Thank luvsmexico
Sandos_Caracol, Gerente at Sandos Caracol Eco Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 10, 2013

Dear Guest,

We really appreciate you taking the time to leave a detailed review about your stay at Sandos Caracol Eco Resort & Spa.

We are glad that you had a lot of positive comments regarding the catering department. We too agree that the Mexican station is a real winner with our guests! The main International buffet “La Laguna” is an excellent option for dining in the evening with a wide varied cuisine from all over the world. We hold different themed nights including: Tex Mex, Gala, Mexican, Maya, Spanish, Oriental and Carribean.

It's also fantastic to hear that you had such a wonderful time at the Circus show which currently takes place on Monday nights. The animals that we are lucky enough to have roaming around the resort, all form part of the Eco experience of the hotel. We do stress that guests must not feed the animals as they have their natural food sources all over the hotel. We also have a special Eco team in place that monitors the welfare of the animals.

We're thankful for all your comments. We hope that you would consider us again in the future.