Sandos Caracol Eco Resort
  • Pool
$191
$587
  • Breakfast included
Royal Hideaway Playacar(Playa del Carmen)
$297
$217
Barcelo.com
The Royal Playa del Carmen(Playa del Carmen)
$423
$240
Agoda.com
  • Breakfast included
Valentin Imperial Riviera Maya(Playa del Secreto)(Great Value!)
$401
$289
Agoda.com
  • Breakfast included
Grand Velas Riviera Maya(Playa del Carmen)
$1,434
$761
Bookit.com
Fairmont Mayakoba(Playa del Carmen)
$486
$472
$973
$450
14,034 results
All reviewsselect clubaqua parkinternational buffetlos liriosmayan showskids clubel temploromantic boat ridemain pooljade riverla toscanaroyal elite sectionwater shoesselect areabrazilian restaurantkids water parkadults only section
Reviewed August 30, 2013 via mobile

Well worth a visit, very child friendly, lots of food choices, animals roaming around, educational experience for children. Loads of a la carte restaurants available, kids club open until 10pm! Staff very friendly and service extremely efficient. We asked for an extra blanket whilst in the lobby and it was in our room by the time we had walked back. Would definitely go back. Saw lots of other resorts in the area when picking up and dropping off people on excursions and think I definitely made the right choice.

• Stayed: August 2013
4  Thank fabienne100
Sandos_Caracol, Gerente at Sandos Caracol Eco Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 2, 2013

Dear Guest,

We really appreciate you taking the time to leave a comment about your experience at Sandos Caracol Eco Resort & Spa.

It's wonderful to read your positive comments about our Eco Club, and the educational quality that it provides for not only children but adults too. We are lucky to be located in such a fascinating tropical environment with all different types of flora y fauna on offer to see.

Thank you for praising the efficiency of our personel. Every staff member makes it their personal mission to provide a first class experience for all guests.

We're so glad that you chose us for your holiday destination and we hope that you come back to stay with us soon!

Paradise awaits you!

Isobel Finlayson
Social Concierge
socialconcierge.caracol@sandos.com

Reviewed August 30, 2013

We visited sandos caracol in June 2013 and had an amazing time

The resort is about 45mins from cancun airport.

On arrival at the resort we were welcomed with cocktails, which was a pleasant surprise. We were then checked in without any fuss and were taken to our room on a golf buggy. All the staff were incredibly friendly and helpful.

We were staying in a standard room, which was very spacious, clean and comfortable. Our room included a hot tub, tv, balcony, and fully stocked fridge. There was a good mix of beers, soft drinks, and water in the fridge which was topped up every other day. We found we had to request more water on the days that the fridges weren't stocked, but this was not a problem and the staff happily obliged. There was also a free safe in the room.

There are 2 main pools (unless your in the elite part, where there are more!). We found ourselves staying by "la tortuga" which was a quieter pool away from the entertainment and games at the main pool. We always got sun loungers, and umbrellas when we needed shade. There is also a pool bar where you can get served straight away - I recommend the mojito or piña colada! You will also find some of the wildlife mulling around the pool too - we saw lizards, raccoons, turtles, blue crabs and an array of birds. Most of these came from the mangrove but don't really bother you (unless you leave food lying around!).

The beach is as you would expect from this area - crystal clear waters, and white sand. However there are some rocks in the sea which encroach onto the beach, but this wasn't an issue for us. We found that unless you went relatively early you would struggle to get a lounger (especially if you want a bit of shade). There is always volleyball or something going on.

You do get the odd local walking up the beach trying to sell crafts or trips, however a polite shake of the head and they leave you alone. Certainly not likely to harass you like in some countries.

If you go on the all inclusive you get free water sports (excluding anything with an engine) - I would recommend kayaking to see a different view of the beach.

There was also not a lot for people who want to snorkel.

The food at sandos caracol is of a very high quality.

Main buffet - has a different theme every night including Mexican, tex mex, Italian, Chinese, to name a few. So much choice and all at a high quality. Great breakfast too.

Brazilian restaurant - a meat lovers paradise - I think we had about 8 different cuts of meat served from a giant skewer at your table! There is also a lovely salad bar, however don't fill up on this as you will never finish the meat!

Steak house - one of the best (and biggest) steaks I have had. This was simply incredible and my favourite restaurant. So much so we went twice! Choice of 3 courses.

Mediterranean - again lovely, nice variety of food. I would recommend the surf and turf - a fillet steak with king prawns, plus a chocolate brownie as dessert. Again choice of 3 courses. This is also a must.

Japanese - served tepanyaki style - cooked in front of you. Great experience, but not as nice as the steak house and Mediterranean restaurants but still worth visiting.

Italian - only had lunch here, it was simple, nice Italian food.

Mexican - didn't eat here as we felt the buffet would be serving similar food.

Snack bar - a constant supply of burgers / hotdogs and fries, great for snacking midday.

As part of the all inclusive package we had 6 "restaurant visits", so we went to the steak house twice, Mediterranean twice, Japanese once and Brazilian once. Buffet and snack bar could be visited unlimited times along with the Italian at lunch only.

There is also free wifi in all the major areas including the sports bar, gym / bar, main foyer and by the main pool.

The entertainment program was spectacular and had something every night. There is even a theatre to host all the entertainment

While at sandos we did a few excursions:
- xel ha (45mins away)
- coco bongo (10mins away)
- chichen itza (3hrs away)

All out standing a worth doing. I will write separate reviews on these.

I would also suggest going into playa del carmen - it's only about 10mins away by taxi and is quite cheap. Taxis are available outside the entrance to the hotel or from concierge.

To summarise it was a truly memorable holiday and my review certainly does not to it justice. It is a very special place and would definitely go back and highly recommend.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
12  Thank pm_uk_81

Dear guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a detailed review of your time spent here at Sandos Caracol.

It's fantastic to hear about all your positive experiences whilst staying in the hotel. As you correctly point out, the Brazilian is indeed a “Meat Lover´s paradise!” As well as the Argentinian, Mediterannean, Japanese and Brazilian, we also have two additional a la carte restaurants La Toscana (Italian) and La Salvia (Vegetarian). Both restaurants are outstanding and definitely worth a visit if you decide to come back in the future.

We're so glad you enjoyed seeing all the wildlife in the resort. We are very proud of our Eco Club who dedicate all their love and attention to keeping the animals happy and well looked after.

We really appreciate all your lovely comments and we hope that you come back soon to see us in paradise – we will have your table reserved in Los Lirios!

Kindest regards,

Isobel Finlayson
Social Concierge
Sandos Caracol Eco Hotel Resort & Spa
socialconcierge.caracol@sandos.com

Reviewed August 29, 2013

This was my first time visiting Mexico, other than a one day stop on Cozumel on a cruz. I was here as a maid of honor for one of my best friends, who is a Royal Elite member. I got in on her time share - thank goodness! I didn't notice the difference between being "elite" and not, I suppose because everything was great about the trip (the room, the service, the drinks, the food -- especially the Japanese restaurant, and the yoga), except for the 40+ (that's what it feels like!) bug bits I got. I suppose has I worn bug spray the entire time, I would have been fine. Anyway, I had a wonderful experience, and was especially appreciate of 8am yoga with Juan Carlos. I would like to become a yoga instructor at some point in my life, and he was an inspiration for me. If he does indeed do teacher training or workshops at the resort, I will be back, with bug spray in tow.

1  Thank TI0813
Sandos_Caracol, Assistant Manager at Sandos Caracol Eco Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2013

Dear Guest,

Being part of an unique event as one of your best friends wedding, we are pleased to read that your experience being a maid of honor as well as being a special guest in our resort was so amazing.

The team serving in the Japanese restaurant as well as the yoga instructor Juan Carlos hope to be part of your future travels and thank you for the nice comments. Regarding the mosquitos, in rain season the use of our natural mosquito repellent discourages the mosquitos from landing on your skin, the recommendation is the use all day long with the insect repellent dispensers we have all over the resort to provide effective relief.

We thank you once again for your kind words of appreciation and hope to see you again in paradise.

Best regards,

Nicki Van den Auwelant
Assistant Manager
Subdirector.caracol@sandos.com

Reviewed August 29, 2013

Upon arrival to this resort, first thing I noticed was how huge the resort was! Front desk was very helpful and ever so pleasant. Attending a good friend's wedding was the reason why and destination weddings are great. here goes my review:

Room-clean and roomy, but set up could be better. King bed and a sofa bed in front of patio entrance was okay, but a television would have also worked in that area. Jacuzzi out on patio, but wasn't used because we were out and about, but it is nice for couples. Room service was done late in the day, so improvement on that would make it great.

Food- everything was good with no complaints. Drinks are also great

Beach-clean and nice. Water was great, but seaweed was present due to tropical storms that welcomed us everyday. Sun eventually came out, but tropical storms were in the area.

Pool-beautiful. If you have access to entire resort, make it to infinity pool in adults only section at end of resort.

Spa-Hydrotherapy pool is awesome. Several saunas are also available and great to relax. Gym is also in area as hydrotherapy pool.

Service-Okay. It can be better. Staff are okay, but some are less helpful and others extremely helpful and hospitable.

Resort-It is a very large resort, so getting around is a work out. I was not crazy about the animals all over the place, but they do not attack. If you have food and feed them (even though there are signs that say DO NOT FEED), more than ten will appear and wait to be fed or feed themselves by taking your foods. Also, you will see cats all over the place. It is not bad, but I wasn't ready for the animals I have never seen in my life. Lighting is poor at night, so avoid walking around late; I was scared to walk with the animals walking and standing around.

Wedding-Amazing. Decorations and set up was beautiful. Catering was excellent and I would recommend anyone to have their wedding because the service you receive as part of the wedding party is beyond excellent.

I have to give a special shoutout to Nuribe Paz. He went above and beyond to assist me in an urgent matter. Passports were left in safe and he expedited me to room and back to try and make flight. Exceptional and this is the attitude and energy to have when dealing with people in this type of environment.
I would probably not return to this resort, but I definitely recommend it for families not traveling with babies because carrying a baby and walking as much as you may will be tiresome. They have the carts at front that can drive you to your destination or close to it, but they aren't always eager to drive, but it is worth the try.

Room Tip: Timeshare receive the best treatment and are located in best area close to lobby which is close to food and entertainment shows. Beach is in the back and rooms there offer a better view. Keep in mind resort is HUGE so comfortable shoes are a must. WIFI is also best in lobby area. Enjoy!
2  Thank burgundyboo28
Reviewed August 29, 2013

We were here for 5 days and had an wonderful time.
There are a bunch of rooms people have noted to be better (location wise... distance walking etc.) but there are a bunch of shortcuts and little adventure roads you can take once you learn the map of this resort.
I came here for a family vacation and to celebrate anniversary. "Ms. Nora" from guest services, was hands-down AMAZING!!! she was so nice and accommodating! On the day of my anniversary... i went to dinner with my family and came back to a path of flowers leading to floral/towel arrangement on the bed. it was def a sweet gesture! i was also offered the "romantic boat ride" down a little "river" that have on the property... comes with champagne and strawberries.
the bartenders/maids/workers there are fun too. they joke with you and try to get you whatever you want. they also try to understand what you are saying to the best they could.

all in all, i would recommend this place because i had an amazing time and i would go back here :)

One note though... bring water shoes or something because the beach here is a bit more rocky than "beaches" im used to.

Room Tip: dont take rooms on the first floor... most insects.
2  Thank wy3ndys

Dear Guest,

Your comments regarding your recent stay in the Sandos Caracol Eco Resort & Spa are very much appreciated by the entire team of workers you recently met during your holidays. We are very happy to read that your anniversary was celebrated in the best way and you will have sweet memories of this special event until your next visit! We have already passed on your beautiful words to Nora, our chief concierge, and our maids/ bartenders who made your vacations a more funny one.

Thanks to the time you have invested in leaving your experience on the tripadvisor travel site, lots of other people who are thinking about the Riviera Maya will read how beautiful the Mexican attention to the guests is in our resort.

Have a wonderful day, hoping to celebrate another anniversary in your honour on our property again.

Yours Truly,