“I great place to be for your holiday”

Sandos Caracol Eco Resort
Ranked #81 of 209 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersSilver level
Utrecht, The Netherlands
“I great place to be for your holiday”
Reviewed August 24, 2013

We visit the hotel this year for the second time and it was even better than the first time, the staff really took care of us. Furthermore we found the improvements great like the changes on the beach more trees and a brand new bar which was almost ready to go. Also the quality of the restaurants improved like the new Japanese restaurant. This year we had a lot of fun with the animation team with people like Juan, Miguel and Ramon. To be short a great place to be !!

2 Thank R H
Sandos_Caracol, Assistant Manager at Sandos Caracol Eco Resort, responded to this review, September 1, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your second visit to the Sandos Caracol Eco resort & Spa and for appreciating all the changes that have been made to improve the well-being of all our visitors. Repetitive guests as yourselve are the best publicity for our premises and we hope we may receive you for a third time in our hotel.

The progress we have made on the beach area as well as in the quality and presentation inside our different restaurants are the result of hard work and necessary changes to make your stay better ever time you visit us. The entertainment staff and the entire Sandos team wishes you all the best and appreciates the beautiful comments made.

See you soon in paradise!

Subdirector.caracol@sandos.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,185)
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed August 22, 2013

This place is wonderful!! Great food, great shows, nice pools and beach, and incredible wildlife! I would gladly go back!
In the interest of full disclosure I will say that I didn't appreciate being hounded for a timeshare presentation when we got there and the rooms are small and a bit lacking. But, we got past the gauntlet of the timeshare sharks and hardly spent time in our room so all in all it was a small annoyance.

• Stayed November 2012
4 Thank Mongilutz
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for visiting our resort!

The great food, entertainment, recreative areas and wildlife have made your stay more pleasant and we apologize for any convenience caused by the Royal Elite staff that tries to convince repetitive guests to be members of the Sandos Club.

In the hope we may be your host again this or next year, we invite you to write us your requests prior to arrival.

Kindest regards,

San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Free mosquitos with every meal. Management and staff are so rude. Standard come back to any complaint is, "I am sorry you are bothered by this, but . . ." The towel guy tried to charge us for towels. They demanded that I pay $50 for a lesson to sail the hobby cat that is supposed to be free. Then they charged me $10 every time I took one out "for insurance." I had the trots from the third day on. And did I say NO AIR Conditioning at any venues. If you want to eat with the mosquitos and sweat through the shows, please go to Sandos. By the way, I posted this before complete with photos of the swamp this hotel sits in, but TA did not post it for some reason. I saw them washing and reusing paper plates and glasses.

7 Thank Wilbert Q
Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 19, 2013

I stayed at Sandos Caracol for a week starting Aug 3rd 2013 and it was a fantastic resort. I had done my homework and read a ton of reviews and for the most part they were spot on but some of the complaints were unfounded.

Things did start off rocky but that was because I booked thru booking.com and I need to hear back from them if they ever want any more of my business. I am a 44 yr old father and I took my 13 yr old son with me. When we got there Sandos said they could not honor my reservation as is because i needed to have another adult and another child and wanted to charge me $1,100 on top of my already established rate. Needless to say I was furious but at the end of the day, Mariana at the front desk calmed me down, let us check in even with this looming over me and eventually took care of the matter and my son and I had a terrific vacation. I thank her for everything she did and how understanding she was.

I asked for a room close to the beach but instead got a renovated room, 7512 and even though there was a walk of about 5-10 min, we didnt mind it. The room was beautiful, no real view except for the garden but everything was new, the ac was super cold, thank god and the fridge was replenished every day without fail.

Let me start off by saying 2 things, this is a huge resort with a ton of kids. If you're a couple with no kids, you probably shouldnt come here even though there is a couples only side to the resort. The kids average age is probably 5-8 but there are a lot of screaming babies at lunch and dinner but my 13 yr old was able to make friends and Dario and Miguel, the activity guys by the pool were fantastic, respectful to adults and never talked down to the kids and I was very thankful of how nice they were to me and my son and tried to get you involved in activities without being too pushy. There were teenagers there but honestly i think they would be a little bored as there are not that many there.

The food is very good. The buffets are great with lots of choices, I was able to do the Brazilian Rodizio which we loved and the japanese was very good too. The outdoor snackbar is ok, my son loved being able to get his french fries whenver he wanted it is replenished often and can get burgers, dogs, fries and ice cream pretty much all day and nite.

The nightly entertainment was ok, the must is the Michael Jackson show, it was awesome, dont miss it, even if you only like his music, the performer looks and dances exactly like him.

It is buggy at night but not that bad but i did bring OFF that i bought at walmart that hunters use and honestly, it helped. I did not use the stuff supplied by the resort. The patio at nite was buggy but it was so hot outside theres no way i wouldve sat out there even if it wasnt buggy.

The pools are beautiful and well kept, the main pool by the middle of the day becomes a bath tub but my son was fine with it and I would cool off in the ocean.

The gift shop at the resort has everything you need but ordinary things like toiletries and pool toys for kids should be brought from home. A pool float was $18 US i think and I shouldve brought more stuff from home.

I didnt get a hard sell on time shares because of my particular check in experience but i did see a lot of people sitting around talking to sales reps about this. The only thing i did need that i didnt get was some kind of tour of the grounds because it is so huge but i guess you need to do the time share thing if you want that. I would change that.

The cenote on site was very nice, they timed you which i didnt like but it was a nice experience. if you want to go to a really good one, go to Cenote Azul, get there early and you wont be sorry.

The beach is nice, the water is beautiful and refreshing but as people said it is rocky. There are rocks the size of bricks you need to be careful of, and much bigger ones that you can stand on. Just have to walk slow but great for snorkeling too.

I would definitely go back to this resort with my son in a heartbeat! If anyone has questions, feel free to email me at: dand724@yahoo.com

11 Thank dand724
Dear Guest,

Your detailed posting about your recent stay in the Sandos Caracol Eco resort & Spa has been appreciated by our entire team and we thank you very much for the time in leaving your impressions on Tripadvisor.

We have already passed on your beautiful words to Mariana, our guest services manager, who was very glad to assist you, as well as Dario and Miguel of the entertainment staff. Thank you for appreciating the restaurant services, the cenotes on site as well as the facilities you mention.

When you come back just inform us with a quick mail and we will be ahppy to receive you once again in paradise.

Londonderry, New Hampshire, United States
Reviewed August 18, 2013

We booked this room via Expedia and only needed one day since we were staying at a time share the following week. Were a bit confused since the hotel site seemed to only allow a min of a three day stay so we were sure there would be an issue when we arrived. But, there was not a problem at all. The room was nice, clean and quiet. The most fun was everything was all inclusive so the kids had a blast trying different foods.
The people there were very friendly and fun. No issues with security. Was a busy place but never seemed over crowded.
The other thing that was nice is we only paid $230 USDs for the one night and were surprised that when we checked out that there was not an additional charge for the all inclusive.
We would definitely stay there again.

3 Thank DWO2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for visiting the Sandos Caracol Eco Resort & Spa.

We are happy to read that you had a great time in our resort, and we hope the next time your visit will include more days to explore the wonderful walking paths, wildlife, restaurants and much more we want our guests to enjoy.

Let us know when you will be coming back and we will be ahppy to assist you with any doubts you have.

Kindest regards,

Vienna, Austria
Reviewed August 18, 2013

I'm usually not a huge fan of "All Inclusive" tourism but Sandos Caracol Eco Resort is definetely worth your money! Super-friendly staff members - many of them actually remember your name despite the large number of guests - make you feel comfortable and welcome right from the beginning of your vacation. The rooms are very clean and well-equipped. My girlfriend and I spent one week at the Sandos Caracol and had a room in the "Club Select" area. This meant that we were able to use an additional pool, only available for "Club Select" guests, which was very quiet and not too crowded throughout the entire day. It's the perfect spot to enjoy a good read. Another nice thing about the "Club Select" area is the outdoor whirlpool right next to the pool which is just perfect to relax a bit, in particular towards the end of the day when temperatures cooled down a little bit. The food at the resort is excellent. In particular the Brazilean restaurant is worth to be mentioned here. Make sure to have dinner there at least once during your stay! Another nice restaurant that we would recommend is the Italian Restaurant "Los Lirios" which also hosts the Hotel Disco later at night. The beach is quite large and beautiful and despite reports made by other guests, we always found it to be very clean and well-kept. Another thing that we liked is that there were always more than enough beach beds. There is not need to rush to the beach early in the morning just to reserve your bed. Plenty of them were available even around noon and during the afternoon hours. All staff members were extremly helpful and went out of their way to help us with everything we needed or asked for. In particular the reception staff members deserve to be given some special credit here. No matter if it's 2 in the morning or 2 in the afteroon, they will always try to solve your problem. If you are into sports, you will like this hotel a lot. The fitness facilities are great! The hotel gym is very well equipped (free weights - although not too many -.machines, treadmills, cross trainers etc.) and the opening hours are quite convenient as well. If you don't mind the humidity, the hotel is also perfect to go for runs! I actually spotted a monkey jumping from one tree to another during one of my runs. We also recommend to to take part in some of the day trips that you can do from the hotel. You do not even have to book tour operators to leave the hotel and have a great time in Playa del Carmen or Tulum! The Tulum Beach "Playa Paraíso" (just ask any taxi driver at the lobby) is stunningly beautiful and worth a day (or half day) trip! In summary, we enjoyed this hotel very much and would go back there anytime.

Room Tip: We commend any of the "Club Select" category rooms
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank RobertAustria
Dear Robert,

We thank you very much for your visit and for the time invested in leaving your experience on the Tripadvisor website.

We are happy to read that you have appreciated the Select club area as well as the Rodizio and los Lirios restaurant, the cleanliness of the beach area as well as the availability of sun loungers around the resort.

We will be waiting for your next visit and hope to be your host again.

florida
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Our family of three (we have an 8 year old daughter) just returned from a week at Sandos Caracol. We traveled from Aug 10th to August 17th.There are different sections and different "levels" at this resort. For example, the Select Club is for adults only. We went as guests of Royal Elite members and booked our trip through a member. We got their royal elite status which allowed us to dine at their a la carte restaurant every night of our trip. We also we able to get some other perks, such as discounts in the spa and we able to enjoy the select club pool when our daughter was in the kids club. You get free wi-fi and room service 24x7. If it wasn't for the "royal elite" aspect i don't think i would have enjoyed this resort as much....

The Good---
1) Royal Elite status. Allowed us to dine for breakfast and lunch at Los Lirios. Los Lirios is only open to royal elite (black bands) for breakfast and lunch. Dinner is by reservation. I am not a foodie by any means but saw a huge difference in the food served here vs. the buffet. By day three, i couldn't take the buffet food anymore. The meat at the buffet was extremely dry and they served same items most all the time.Also, with RE u have a separate pool that only RE members can use.
2) Water park- Our daughter loved it and it was great to have a bar there. We always got a spot and while she played, my husband and myself chilled out.
3)Los Lirios (steakhouse)--definitely our fave among the a la carte restaurants!
4)" Eco" resort----- There were animals everywhere and it was a lot of fun seeing them daily. The coatis and cats wandered around and our daughter had fun "looking" for them . The animals were not scared at all.
5) Service- The service was great overall at the resort. They waiters were great and couldnt do enough for you. We are from the US and speak pretty much no spanish. The waiters would try to teach us and practice with us daily!
6) The Spa--- it doesnt look like much on the outside but i had a great treatment! I purchased the "Sandos special" massage and the guy threw it a free body scrub and a free mini facial. I swear i got the best massage of my life! Her name was Begonia and she was excellent!

The Bad---
1) La Laguna buffet---.i am not foodie by any means but by day three i couldn't take the buffet food anymore. The meat at the buffet was extremely dry and they served same items most all the time.
2) This is an "eco" resort....a lot of the restaurants to do not have air conditioning in them. This was the case for the Mediterranean a la carte and we chose not to dine here. It was extremely HOT out and the last thing i wanted was a sweaty meal with mosquitoes.

The just ok---

1) The kids club...i expected more..... I think it is geared towards children younger than ours. We expected for them to do more activities around the resort. They only had two activities daily such as going to the water park or swimming in the cenote AND they weren't equipped to take everyone. You had to sign up and several times it was full. They did show movies but our daughter complained they were all in Spanish with English subtitles and she couldn't keep up ! Our daughter would go and run around for an hour or two and she was ready to come back to her mama.
2) Drinks--- My husband doesn't drink at all and i am not a big drinker but the drinks were very watered down. I remember one day i had two mojitos and a mango margarita and i barely felt a buzz going on. The drinks weren't bad but not strong at all.
3)Check in process----- Hectic and chaotic EVEN with RE status. They had one person checking everyone in and we had to wait and wait. It was hot of course and we just wanted to be able to start enjoying. They could definitely use work in this area.
4) the mosquitoes- Not a fault of Sandos at all but we were eaten alive. We did use repellent of course but didn't seem to do the job. Its August and they were out in full force!

All in all, we had fun. We aren't picky people and just getting away was a treat for me.... One thing though did leave a bad taste in my mouth. While we were away, i wrote in the forums of trip advisor asking for restaurant recommendations on fifth ave because i wanted to go out. I mentioned not loving the buffet food and Alex from web relations at Sandos sent me a private message apologizing and inquiring about my issue. He asked me my name and room number. I wrote him back, giving him the info and i told him where i was in the resort and that i was happy to talk to him. He never came and write me back 48 hours later when we were already home. Clearly, if he looked into my reservation he would of known all of that. Interesting to me that he never did anything to look into the issue for me. I would recommend Sandos Caracol to anyone, as long as you book through a member and do the RE status, It will make your vacation so much better!!

1 Thank pandish
Dear Guest,

Your great efforts in expressing your opinion on the Tripadvisor website, is very much appreciated by all the members of the Sandos Caracol Eco Resort & Spa. Thanks to your detailed review, future visitors can choose the way they like to experience our resort.

The suggestion about the food and beverages, the kids club and the Royal Elite check in have been taken into consideration to improve these services immediately. Our goal is to work in all areas to reach the entire satisfaction of all of our guests before they leave our property and to ensure their next visit with us thanks to the special and different experience they have in our resort.

In the hope to receive you and your family again, we invite you to write us before your next stay.

Best regards,

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Magic Blue Hotel
Magic Blue Hotel
#53 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Barcelo Maya Tropical
#7 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Bel Air Collection Xpu Ha Riviera Maya
Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort

Been to Sandos Caracol Eco Resort? Share your experiences!