“Great Resort”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
“Great Resort”
Reviewed April 23, 2013

I stayed at Sandos Caracol for seven days (April 15-22, 2013). My girlfriend and I were, on the whole, very pleased with this resort. Everything is very clean. The rooms are very nice and all the facilities as well. The staff was pleasant and very helpful. The food was mostly excellent. I say mostly because I found that any Mexican themed meal was pretty bad. These Mexican themed nights can be avoided though because there are a number of different places you can eat at Sandos. I feel that it is maybe more because I am not a fan of Mexican dishes.

One suggestion I would give them for the restaurants, however, is their "product placement". At peak hours it got really annoying because certain things came before others and therefore required you to run around a lot which created serious confusion and traffic jams at the buffets.One small example is that, while following the line, the ice cream topping come before the ice cream itself. So if you wanted chocolate syrup on your ice cream you basically had to wait the line twice because by the time you get your ice cream, the syrup is behind you where people are waiting to get the ice cream... This was the same for salads, taccos... you name it.

The bad part of this resort was the dive shop Scuba Libre. I am a certified Divemaster but my girlfriend had never dived before. She wanted to do the discover SCUBA course. After a theory and pool session that was WAY too short she did not feel comfortable or safe diving in the ocean. The dive shop still charged us for the dives that she did not do. I will never dive with these people again. I in fact took my business elsewhere for the remainder of my vacation. But after filing a complaint to the resort about this issue, the resort's management contacted me and offered us both a free massage at the spa which made us both very happy.

This is a very family friendly resort so there can be a lot of crying babies at times. But you can almost always find a quiet spot to relax. The resort is massive and you will do a lot of walking.

We really enjoyed our stay here at Sandos, minus the dive shop problems, and we hope to return sooner rather than later!

Room Tip: Balconies are small in many rooms so look into it more if you want a big balcony.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Scott M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,204)
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
houston
Reviewed April 23, 2013

We just returned from our visit to Sandos and we really enjoyed it! We go to The Mayan Riviera at least once per year. We have stayed in a variety of different places. Sandos is one of our new favorites! The resort is big, but not too big! We have stayed at other resorts in the area that were overwhelming. I like being able to easily walk to all of the different areas of the resort in a decent amount of time. No need for taking a shuttle to different areas, etc... So nice if you have kids in tow! We stayed in room 7401. This block of rooms was in a nice, quiet location but was still close enough to everything. We did not upgrade to royal elite and were still pleased with everything. The rooms are a bit dated but are very clean and comfortable. A great value for what you pay. The AC worked like a charm! The patio had a lovely view of the jungle. The young man that cleaned our room was VERY helpful and attentive. We only had one a la carte. We tried the Japanese Steakhouse. The food was excellent and the chef was amazing! Our children enjoyed watching him cook. They loved his "onion volcano". The waitstaff was excellent as well! The shows were surprisingly good! My daughter actually participated in the Disney show (the highlight of her trip). She was a lion from The Lion King. Whoever did her makeup for the show was amazing! Sandos really caters to kids! The Michael Jackson show was great! We all had so much fun! The cenote was beautiful and was always a refreshing way to cool off! It would have been more enjoyable if the snorkel mouthpieces were provided with the masks though. The nature walks were fun and we saw quite a bit of wildlife. The beach was nice. Yes, it is rocky in places. We didn't mind though. It looked more natural to me than at some resorts. There are rock free areas and if you walk down to the end of the beach it is shallow and calm (for small children). My son really enjoyed the games (particularly the beach soccer). The pool was nice. Most importantly, the service was phenomenal everywhere you went! We were always welcomed with smiling faces and everyone went out of their way to be helpful! We hope to visit again sometime!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank runningtravelers
CO
Reviewed April 22, 2013

We stayed in July 2013. It was hot, mid 90's, and very crowded at the pool but it had a great atmosphere. The kids waterpark pool was lots of fun but kind of loud for all day although we did make it there everyday for a while. There was a queit pool off to the side too that was very nice for relaxing. But, the pool bar was so much fun, you had to eventually end up there like everyone else. The beach was great but the water did have rocks. If you want a better swiming ocean, Sandos Palacar is amazing. Our kids loved playing on the rock areas here but do slightly prefer the beach at Playacar. The sailing was amazing right off the beach here- free after short required lesson. The food was good and the service was great. We had great beach drink service, too. The cenote is really nice for cooler water- beautiful. There are also simple Mayan ruins on site with trails that make for great morning runs or hikes with the kids. They did a Mayan show out there one night but we missed it- heard it was awesome.The show we saw at the Cenote was really good- great costumes. Otherwise, there is no real night life, but the drinks are good and they have lots of infused tequila. After a long stroll down the beach, we returned to the resort about 11:30 pm one night and we seemed to be the last ones up except for securty. The varety of resturants is good. Even though the resort was pretty full, we were able to get resrvations a couple of days out. Spa reservations were easy to get as well but although our massages were good, the spa experence is light. Our rooms were basic but nice, clean and quiet. I could have used more air conditioned areas to relax with a drink at night but I'm used to low 60's at night in July with no humidity; Others might be able to better adjust. The only Air cond place was really nice by the beach but only for select members and adults only- so it was completely empty most nights, closed very early and they wouldn't let my kids in. I was vacationing with my wife and two of our kids, 12 & 14 at the time. They had a fantastic time. When we were there, the resort was full of families with young kids. I would not choose it for an adult only trip. The adult beach areas are only a rope line away from the kids areas and the adult pool is farther away from the beach. But if you're ok with kids, as I am, I would highly recommend this resort. we had a great time!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed April 22, 2013

I visited with my partner. As a young gay couple we were treated completely differently to other couples. No drinks on arrival. The staff tried to put us in a room next to the noisy party pool with dripping aircon, even though I'd paid for a luxury room with 2 double beds. They eventually swapped to the correct room after walking all the way back to reception and showing them the confirmation paperwork. The new room was nice with good interior, not great though. The door lock kept breaking. It took nearly 2 hours to get into the room and settled after arriving. After travelling for nearly 24 hours this was pretty horrific and so much for a relaxing start. Food was terrible, all cooked in the same oil and everything tasted stale. I also got salmonella from undercooked or re-cooked chicken in the grill restaurant.

Apart from that the setting was nice and great wildlife on the site. Lovely beach and good bar staff. Would love to go back if all the issues were addressed but I doubt they will be!

• Stayed July 2012
4 Thank sliverlo
Lethbridge, Canada
Reviewed April 22, 2013

We had a amazing time at this resort, the staff were amazing and there was lots of food and it was great with lots of thing to do around the resort and the ocean beautiful rooms lots of wildlife amazing overall experience we will be back for sure THANKS SANDOS FOR THE AMAZING VACATION!!!!!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jordan A
Sydney
Reviewed April 21, 2013

We had a fantastic time at Sandos Caracol. We went with my parents who are 74 years old and my brothers family, which includes my nephew (age 3) and we all thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Our rooms (located in the royal elite area which was renovated) were beautiful with balconies facing the pool and ocean. Now the grounds alone are quite stunning but they also contain Mayan Ruins and Cenotes on the premis!

The a la carte restaurants are VERY good (we preferred trying each type over the standard buffets were the food was just ok) but you should reserve as soon as you get there to ensure they have room. Also, it was quite difficult to secure a booking over the phone, so we recommend going through the lobby for success.

The shows they host are FANTASTIC... Please take them in!!!!

A special thanks to Nora who (among other things) helped organised a wonderful night for my parents 50th wedding anniversary. Besides speaking German (her native language) she is fluent in Spanish and English as well. Nora was simply "on the ball" and able to assist us with any issues, concerns, and request on a moments notice.. In our opinion, a Huge asset to this operation...

Mariebelle & Scotty....

Room Tip: Pay extra to be in the royal elite section
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank SydneyMarie
Belize City, Belize
Reviewed April 21, 2013

The word I really can't find to explain our stay from 27th March to 2nd May 2013. My family and a group of friends from Belize drove to Sandos Caracol. From the arrival we knew it was going to be great, the warm greetings from the bell boy to the folks at the front desk I call it the Sandos welcome, the place is so clean and smell so fresh and so is the staff the rooms are first class oh my ALL inclusive is the thing we were treated with love in every way and every time. We had the opportunity to meet and talk with the managing director who walk the compound making sure the facility keeps its standard and the managers supervisors all made sure things run smooth and answered any question we had as problem we never had the chefs in all 8 restaurant was actively seen in there respectives location making sure the food etc was in order the food in such quantity and variety was so delicious and tasty the adult only areas were well manage for once it was free
from all worries it was just to relax and enjoy Sandos life at its best. We had folks celebrating birthdays and anniversaries and the made worth celebrating there from the surprise decorating of our rooms to the dinner arrangements. We had fun at the pools and fun activity held daily our kids had their own pool for kids and the kids club was there to care for them when we needed those adult hangout. The newly built disco was da place at night time every step we took at Sandos Caracol was worth the reasonable price we paid we will be surely going back every break we get. Sandos Caracol my new home away from home big up. Ashton from Belize C.A.

Room Tip: No mistakes all are good
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Magic Blue Hotel
Magic Blue Hotel
#50 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Bel Air Collection Xpu Ha Riviera Maya
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
#7 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Iberostar Tucan Hotel
Iberostar Tucan Hotel
#43 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Sandos Caracol Eco Resort? Share your experiences!