“Great water park for the kids!”

Sandos Caracol Eco Resort
Ranked #83 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed February 8, 2013

Went here for Christmas 2011 with family and friends from the US...had a great time! There's a fantastic water park here for kids. I would recommend this resort for families with children aged 3 - 12. Even at Christmas the water park wasn't crowded. We spent a lot of time in this area with our 11 year old....there was a great lunch snack bar there and some great kid's music as well - Miley Cyrus, etc. The beach is nice, but there are sandbags out in the ocean, so that's not so beautiful. The main pool is also very nice. We had an amazing room (jr suite) in a newly built area near the beach overlooking the main pool, so I can't comment on the basic rooms. We made a trip into Playa del Carmen by cab and it wasn't too far. All in all, nice resort, great for families and we all enjoyed it.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Fun2Trvl21

Reviewed February 7, 2013

We visited this hotel for the second time during September 2012. There have been renovations to the hotel since our last visit in April 2011. They added the Xcalacoco Experience to the hotel now which we didn´t have the opportunity to try due to our kids. We traveled with a 3 year old girl and 4 months old baby girl and definitely had a great time here again.

We didn´t have the opportunity to visit the a la carte restaurants but we were very pleased with the buffet options. Our favorite for breakfast and lunch is "La Toscana" (the Italian Restaurant) since it´s a lot less crowded during breakfast than the main buffet and has more interesting choices during lunch por us that love Italian food. Our favorite option for dinner was "La Laguna" (the main buffet) since they have themed night and always have something different to try. They also have the kids corner that includes food like hamburguers. hot dogs, french fries and all that food that kids love. The have a salads bar also which is pretty good for vegies too.

On our last visit we stayed at the Select Club before they turned it into an adult only area but didn´t really have the chance to enjoy the extra amenitis they offer because of our little girl, so I guess it´s a good decision to reserve ths for adult only guests.

Our daughter had a great time at the aquapark. This was indeed the best pool for us. We also enjoyed the main pool and a little bit of the adult only pool one day that the main pool was suddenly closed without any explanation.

We always travel on low season so this contributes to have a better experience since de hotel is not that crowded. It was more crowded than the rest of the hotels in that area according to what the staff told us.

Again, the profesional photographers made our experience even better since we love pictures and try to always have special memories from our life.

The only complain that I have is related to my sleep quality. We were located on building 21 which is not that close to the theatre but even though we could hear all the loud music in our room up until 2 am. I had to turn on the bathroom light so that the ventilator would help disipate some of the noise. I understand that they were planning to open a closed night club near the beach to avoid this situation and I think it´s already open now, so I guess this is not a problem anymore.

This is a good hotel specially if you travel with young children.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank LizaMty79
Reviewed February 6, 2013

We just returned from Sandos Caracol after a 2 week stay. This is our 2nd visit to this resort, the staff are super friendly, food always excellent and everything is kept very clean. There is so much to do there doesn't matter if you are a couple or with your children. It is very close to Playa del Carmen which is a plus. There is no lack of entertainment which was also excellent. We highly recommend this resort.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank DoMo722
Reviewed February 6, 2013

My husband and I just returned from our trip to Sandos Caracol. We stayed in the Select Club- Adults only section. Prior to arriving, I had emailed Nora, the head concierge, to let her know that this was a special trip for my husband's birthday. She was spectacular to work with and even had a special romantic dinner on the beach prepared for the night of our arrival. We enjoyed breakfast two days in the select club restaurant, but found that even though I am not usually a buffet person, the mexican buffet became my favorite breakfast location. I would highly recommend trying the mexican buffet as it is always less crowded and has very good food. We ate lunches at both the select club a la carte lunch and the international buffet. I was a little disappointed in the options available at the select club and the long wait for food we had during our lunch visit (it was probably due to the increase in people during lunch because of the rain). Again, we enjoyed the international buffet even though it could get a little noisy. The variety of food and the quality was always well done. We were able to try the La Rivera (mediterranian), Brazilian, Steak and Fish at the Royal Elite and the Habachi Japanese. Our favorite was La Rivera. The staff was spectacular and the food was superb. The Brazilian an Habachi were both enjoyable as well. At the steak and fish restaurant in the Royal Elite area, the service was not on par with the rest of the resort. We were very disappointed. Also, I would like to see an authentic mexican sit down restaurant as we had to go off the resort to get this.
We did more than eat (even with the rain) and two days it was sunny enough to lay at the beach. We enjoyed the select club area and the drink service provided there. The bartender inside the select club beach house was spectacular and very fast. I was also very impressed by the constant security which monitored local vendors to ensure that they were not harrassing anyone.
Our room was very nice and even though we did not upgrade from the lowest level in the select club we found the accomadations very adequete. The select club area is the furthest from the beach but we enjoyed our walks through the grounds so much we did not mind at all.
One thing I did not care for was being approached to "tour" the Royal Elite area within five minutes of our arrival. This "tour" would require a $10 deposit from us, copies of our IDs and a credit card deposit. No way! We are not spending our vacation in a time share tour and I find this offensive. After we said we were not interested, they did leave us alone.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank AprilOhio
Reviewed February 5, 2013

Ju st arrived from Sandos Caracol two days ago and missed it so much. Love the place and since I'm a Royal Elite member I get the royal treatment.First of all the wonderful suite I got next to the pool and Beach.Full service amenities and mini bar.Baltazar the house keeper kept my suite spotless and love the different design he did with the towels. Love the buffet and the especial a la cart restaurants. The best restaurant is the EL TEMPLO. Is a Hibachi Japanese food. The best chef there is Xavier.He puts a wonderful show but his cooking is the best,I would recommend to ask for him upon arrival.The waiter Alejandro is also the best,he treat us like royalty and super friendly.In the buffet they serve a variety of delicious food. Yeni Iliana and Carlos Manuel were the best waiters.The other restaurant I'll recommend is the Lirios they specialize in Sea food. The captain Lirios Ediseo and waiter Jose Florencio went above their duties to make us comfortable.I have three kids and Noemi from kids club took good care of them like if they were her children. She kept them busy and entertain.I had a great time and can not wait to go again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank Dieguis B
Reviewed February 5, 2013

My husband and I have just returned from our second trip to Sandos Caracol and great fun again.The scattered showers on the local weather forecast were more like cloudbursts with hardly time to get the waterproofs out but at least warm rain.We found all the staff very friendly with prompt service especially when the safe in our room jammed.The ruins and local wildlife were very interesting with monkeys,raccoons and coatis,beautiful plants and iguanas.Insect repellant needed especially around the mangroves which could be a bit smelly but all part of the experience.The staff in all the bars and restaurants were charming .I would like to thank Selene in El Templo for arranging some vegetarian sushi and tofu in what otherwise is a meat eaters meal.Also Luisa and Alberto in Las Lagunas -the self service restaurant who made the evening meals such fun with the tequila boom booms!I would definitely go back.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Linda B
Reviewed February 5, 2013

We stayed at this property over Xmas. We loved the beach and pools. The restaurants were fab and the staff were awesome. We played tennis everyday. We loved how close this is to playa del Carmen. I would definately come back here again!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family