Sandos Caracol Eco Resort
Panama Jack Resort(Playa del Carmen)
$241
$235
  • Pool
$669
  • Breakfast included
Valentin Imperial Riviera Maya(Playa del Secreto)(Great Value!)
$397
$261
  • Breakfast included
BlueBay Grand Esmeralda(Playa del Carmen)(Great Value!)
$288
$239
  • Breakfast included
The Royal Playa del Carmen(Playa del Carmen)
$450
$280
Agoda.com
  • Breakfast included
Mahekal Beach Resort(Playa del Carmen)
$244
$202
$864
  • Breakfast included
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla(Playa del Carmen)
$387
$289
Melia.com
Petit Lafitte(Playa del Carmen)
$168
$160
Orbitz.com
$781
$504
13,840 results
All reviewsselect clubaqua parkinternational buffetlos liriosmayan showskids clubel temploromantic boat ridemain pooljade riverla toscanaroyal elite sectionwater shoesselect areabrazilian restaurantkids water parkadults only section
FilterAll languages
Reviewed December 4, 2012

Ice cream out of service.
Large boulder rocks 10 ft from shore (not it) .
Place is huge. Probably a little more than 2square miles. Hope you like walking (a lot).

You'll definitely be walking off your meals

No maps to carry around to guide you. (You'd think)

Villas are 2 and 3 stories. No elevators

If you get the standard room package and thinking about tipping the check-in clerk (wink wink.) For an upgrade. Your getting setup. He'll take your bribe $ and still give you a standard.
You want the JR suite at a minimum if traveling with a kid. But then again I won’t stay here again.

Life guard must have drowned. Was nowhere in sight and heavy waves were coming in.

Hope you don't get hungry while laying out at the beach or pool. No food service there. Gotta make the trip to the 24 hour buffet. Probably 1/4 mile. Hope your a hot dogs and burgers guy cause that's all your getting at the 24.

No premium alcohol. The artificial flavored fruit juices are terrible. Either really cheap or Extremely watered down. Not sure

Yea, little fridge in the room. Day 3. 4 bottles of water gone. fridge is empty, you would think the maid refill the water ( its humid as hell out here)

3rd night, Mattress and pillows like cardboard. OMG. Might as well sleep on the floor. I'm thinking they do this so you pay for a massage. You'll need it. I’m stiff as a board after sleeping here.

The Pool near building 22 has no towels. WTF. Gotta go to the kids pool. About 1/4 mile away to pick up a freagin towel.

There are raccoons everywhere, they are free to roam around anywhere they want, including the 24 hour buffet. Grabbing food right off your plate hissing at you OMG. My kid has permanent fear of raccoons now.

The jungle like environment is cute. But, this is a kids place you'd think there would be some lights on these Jungle like trails. Sandos, I hope you get to read this. Some of the trails are 300 yards long. No light, little lids, its a recipe for disaster.

Reception desk has no clue what’s going on.
I get an e-mail from Virgin America. To check-in for the flight back the next day. Well, I go to front desk so I can print my boarding pass, they tell me no internet no printer here, I must go to business office located about 1/4 mile away. So here I am . Business office aka internet room guess what. There's no printer. OMG vacation from hell.

All the vendors are con artists, especially the cigar salesman. That sets up his booth next to the sports bar. Total scammer. Here I am wanting to try a Cuban cigar, I ask him how much, he said how much u want to spend, I said $5.00. He said OK, lights me up, says "you like". I said yes, I take out 70. pesos a little more then $5. 00 He tells me this is a Cuban, he now wants $20.00 . I Flipped him off he went crazy. Guy is a wack job, stay away from him.

No WiFi in rooms, several areas. Lobby, a few restaurants, sports bar. Best download speed 0.25 mps download.

I can go on and on and on;

You've been warned!!!!!!! Stay away from this place.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
9  Thank Alex K
Reviewed December 4, 2012

The hotel is really nice, specially if you are traveling with children and if you are not latin-american person. You have all kind of amenities and attractions inside the hotel. I celebrated my wedding in Playa del Carmen and unfortunately I chose that hotel as the main concentration point. Some people booked through together with me in the as a group, other people booked direct with flight tickets, there were around 80 people that booked around the wedding day in that hotel (from 4 days to 3 weeks). My guest came from the Netherlands, Belgium, UK, Portugal, Venezuela, Colombia, Chicago, Los Angeles, Norway, Chile, Argentina and of course from Mexico. When you have such a group it is really easy to see the treatment for the Latin-american people. The concierge and the front desk really have bad service to the latin people. I could make a big list but I will give just some examples.

1.- all the people from Europe booked in Club Select (they came only with their couples) and my now my husband and I booked in the family area (due too all our family that was coming). We were passing on the beach and we wanted to sit a bit and have a drink on the beach with our guest but it was the Adults Area only or club select (how they call it). We were kicked out from the area. I send and email to the reservation group organizer if she could do something for us, it was not handy to have the half of the gust in that area and we could not share with them. Martina Mairhofer explicitly said that it was IMPOSSIBLE, that my group did not have so many people in that area (but all the people from Europe booked outside oif the group, they did it direct with their travel agencies). My husband just pass ed by the front desk and just because he is DUTCH, with a big smile they say that there was no problem and they changed our bracelets to have access, that they understand that we have to host our guests.

2.- the wedding day I went to ask in the reception at 7:30 am for bathrobe because I had my make up at 10:00 am. It was 10:20 and I had to go again to the front desk to ask. No response. The bathrobes arrived once the make up had started.

3.- The wedding day my sister went to ask in the reception for a bottle of champagne to make as toast during the make up and the preparations. The front desk said that it was not possible, that they did not have that service. My sister asked that it was ok if we have to pay, she wanted to have a nice preparations but it was not possible even paying for the service. My mother in low just went to ask in the front desk for the champagne (lower kind of room that mine) and of course for her was immediately a yes, the difference is that she is DUTCH and they did not even mentioned any payment, everything was for free.

I can mention so more examples but it is very sad, at the end I had to ask my husband or european guest to ask in the reception. It is really a shame to have be treated like that. The behaviour was repeated agains the Latin-american guests.

Definitely I do not recommend this hotel if you come from any spanish speaking country!!!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
7  Thank MARGASCON
Sandos_Caracol, General Manager at Sandos Caracol Eco Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2012

Dear guest,

I am very sorry to see the wrong opinion you took with you as a result of what your personal impression of our staff and services was during your vacation at the Sandos Caracol Eco Resort & Spa..

I am the hotel manager of this resort and proudly, a Latin person. I, as most of our members, treat each single guest with the utmost respect and dedication. While I do respect your views and comments, I disagree with your overall statements about service being different to Latin guests.
If you go and check extensively this internet site in which you have expressed voiced your concerns, you will see that the vast majority of all Latin people putting reviews about their stay with us have left this hotel with the best impression.

I will not dispute that someone within our staff as it does happen in every country and hotel in the world, may have acted inappropriately, but from this, to suggesting that our staff in general treat Latin people differently than the rest of our visitors, is certainly something not reflective of the type of hotel we are, our principles and values and our commitment to customer satisfaction.

As I can see that you are a Latin person, I would be more than happy to call you, provided you send me your phone number to the mail address below so that you can share with me all the situations that you suggest that took place during your stay. If we would not care as you believe about our Latin guests, I do believe that I would not be devoting time to even respond to your comments, and please believe me, I am not responding because you expressed your views and comments in English rather than Spanish.

We have in records a conversation you had with our wedding coordinator on a specific day in which a couple was getting married in our hotel, you never commented or let her know of your impression or any of the issues you have detailed above and you never mentioned to any staff member that you wanted to speak to the Manager or any other manager to voice your discontent with any person or particular service..

I hope to be able to talk to you.

Kindet wishes,

Luís Ramírez
Sandos Caracol Eco Resort & Spa
Director.caracol@sandos.com

Reviewed December 4, 2012

we stayed at the sandos select club for my husbands 40th birthday and enjoyed every minuet of it. The staff were fantastic and nothing was too much and Jose who served us ala carte breakfast and dinner always had a smile on his face. Pedro at the steak house bent over backwards to make our experience special. The ala carte restaurants are very good especially the brazillian, steak and mediteranian restaurant. We very rarely ate at the buffet restaurant only 3 times found the food very nice however sometimes not hot enough. The hotel drinks and cocktails were very nice and lots of choice. I would from our experience definately recommend this hotel but for couples would definately upgrade to select club! Thank you sandos for making our first holiday to Mexico an experience to remember and will definately stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Karen S
Reviewed December 4, 2012

Visited this resort from Nov. 21- 27 with my husband, two kids (age 4 and 2), and inlaws. We arrived at around 11 pm with 2 tired kids and were greeted by rude front desk guy named jugo who wouldnt look at us and explain why my inlaws reservation was gone. Did find out it was expedias fault and not theirs but started bad with rude guy. Marianna took care of our dinner reservations ahead of time by email which was great.
Resort grounds: Amazingly beautiful with something new around each corner. Loved walking the kids around in stroller finding new paths, new animals, new bridge, or new cenote. Make sure you check out the suspension bridge which was fun. Also kids loved going for a bike ride.
Beach: We loved spending al ot of our time here playing in the sand, though my husband had to get up at 6 am to get a good chair by water if werent there by 9, no chairs at all.There's a good spot with no rocks you can walk out but the rocks didnt bother me and my kids wore crocs in the water. We would grab bread from the snack bar and feed the fish with the kids on the sand bags which was fun. Also my husband and son had fun taking out a kayak which is included. Also tried snorkeling which is included but kids were a little too young but they tried. Only complaint is they should have bar on beach or more waitresses on beach because had to walk to pool every time we wanted a drink. Remember to bring sand toys.
Main pool: Its was very nice and great swim up bar. Only complaint would've been nice to be able to eat lunch there instead having to pack up kids and head to restaurant. Make sure you check out iguanas right around pool in the grass.
Waterpark: My kids loved this and were perfect age even the 2 year old. They did have someone making burgers and hotdogs for lunch which was great. Very safe and this is the place we saw monkeys on a lounge chair or walking around, very cool!!
Drinks: They were great, ask for a double to get a normal drink. Had smoothies for kids with real fruit and vegtables. William was a great bartender! Also, Roy went above and beyond. One day my kids were crying because the ice cream machine was closed late at night and he got them cones and made them a drink that tasted like ice cream to put inside.
Sports bar: We had fun there at night having drinks while playing with kids. My kids loved it and always wanted to go there.
Food: Prefrered the Italian for breakfast and lunch because less crowded and faster. Great food!
Something for everybody. Great salads, pasta, pizza, and soup. Best french toast I've ever had. wish there was more mexican food.
Japanese: Left hungry, very small portions and only let you order to courses, but food is very tasty.
Mediterrean: Very good food. Try the stuffed crab!
Los Lirios: Best meal everybody had there. Great steaks, ceasar salad, fried raviolis, and sea bass.
Snack bar: Spent a lot of time here loved cheese fries and ice cream cones. Kids love sitting on swings having ice cream at least 3 times a day. Watch out for animals, one jumped on the table and stole my kids food and left him in tears.The rest of vacation the kids enjoyed yelling at them. Every night theres a great clown making ballon animals. He was great with my kids, they loved him!
Kids Club: Great place. We would take the kids there at night for 30 min to run around while we had a drink. Only left 4 year old there to be in Disney show on Friday. Its was lots of fun for him to get dressed up and be in show. He was a mouse in cinderalla. The best asset to the kids club is Vivian, she is amazing. She runs all the kids activities and my kids loved her. We loved taking our kids to the mini disco at 7pm for games and dancing.
Room: We loved our room we were in 3704 and had a deluxe which is perfect with young kids because we had amazing bubble baths in jacuzzi every night. Also, our balcony overlooked cenote which was soo pretty at night all lite up. We werent to far from anything but loved the walk past cenote and donkeys every day and were right next to water park.
Entertainment: Kids loved fire show on thursday night which you should save your appetite for because theres a big buffet out there. Disney show is great for kids and I enjoyed too, exspecially because my son was in it. Circus show was to boring for my kids. Loved the mayan show on the beach.
Overall: Resort is amazingly CLEAN, every bathroom was as clean as the next, and they were constantly cleaning. Which is great because you know their kitchens must be clean too. Great resort, great price, great for kids. Bring mosquito repellent. We had an amzing time here and would come back anytime!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank zach309
Reviewed December 3, 2012

Resort area: charming, exciting, family friendly, comfortable. LOVELY.

Main buffet restaurant, La Laguna: great food, good variation, different themes, but almost always difficult to find set tables (with plate, cutlery, glass etc ready). Especially at breakfast. Sometimes had to cue a little while before table was ready.
Fun with 'marriachis' in the evening;)
at breakfast we loved the 'smoothie-lady' and the 'pancake lady' who both made our breakfast the best!
Leticia, one of the waiters, gave us really good service quite a few times, she gave attention to the kids and we got to speak some spanish together witch I appreciated. She arranged a nice table for our last dinner. It was really nice to get to know her and the others. because the others were really nice too, always smiling, always asking if there was anything else we needed.
Some of the other restaurants we tried:
Italian restaurant : good
Brazilian restaurant: excellent barbicue meat and service. Joyful experience:) but table was a little to tall for the chairs!!felt like infants eating at the adult's table. loved the welcome drink!
Oriental restaurant : we were offered very small portion of starter and main course, almost no-one walked out full and satisfied. Good food but very small portion. Weird blue welcome drink.

Beef restaurant: very fancy and Nice restaurant, good food.

Bars : it is really a shame that we cannot get drinks/daiquiris with real fruit in it , they only have artificially flavoured drinks like mango daiquri with no mango etc. I missed the real thing. Could have paid more for my stay to get real taste as i hate drinking those syrups. Another thing: all the bartenders made drinks totally different then the others, same for frappuchinos etc. We never got a drink tasteing the same as the last one. That's a pity because some did and some did not make very tasty drinks...

Swimming pools: good, safe, comfortable background music.
Beach: good, safe, (buy bading shoes.)
Rooms: ok enough. Toilet had stains on the outside when we got there, not properly cleaned. missed having a door to the shower area to get some privacy as we were 4 sharing one junior suite. beds were very hard!!! Terrace was nice but we didnt use it much, nor did we try the jacuzzi, which did not look very tempting.
Maintainance: ok but we were almost every day missing one or two things ( sheets, towells..) and had to request. however, service is always very quick when we call reception/ maintainance.
Spa: had a very good deep tissue massage (Daniel) real good work.
Good manicure and pedicure as well from an experienced lady, cannot remember her name, but she came from Mexico City and used to have her own business before.
gym area: a bit poor.
Entertainment: ok, don't really fancy the kind of on-stage entertainment they offered and which many resorts offers... and watching people (tourists) on stage who cannot dance to bad music.;)

Taxi to Playa del carmen/ fifth avenue takes no time at all, and costs 140 pesos. Adults should spend an evening/ night at the Coco Bongo club during the weekend, it is FABOLOUS! do not miss it!
Visit Tolum nearby as well (ruins and paradiso beach).

I loved my stay at this relaxing resort, I felt very safe there, and all the people working there Are soo nice....giving you the best service you wish for. i Think the whole group Of families and friends had a perfect vacation, much because of good company but also because of the LOVELY atmosphere at Sandos Caracol.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family