“Fantastic Trip/Wedding/Experience”

Sandos Caracol Eco Resort
Ranked #80 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed November 14, 2012

I just got back from this resort and I would reccomend it to anyone thinking about getting married in Mexico. My wedding was beautiful. Fernanda was so helpful and kind. She bent over backwards to help me with the wedding location and the flowers I wanted (they have set arrangments for the flowers and I wanted something different - She said no problem and I had the exact flowers I wanted). We had booked a private cocktail party after dinner and the set up was beautiful. We had a open bar set up just for us. Roy was our bartender - he is literally the best bartender I have had. He made the "rolly special" and had the shots coming all night.
Our wedding was exactly what I had hoped for.

The actual trip was amazing was well. The food was good, I would reccomend The Riveria. The one thing that I did find to be sort of lame was the disco. The music could have been better. We have a 4 year old son and he loved it. The kids pool and the kids club were both to his liking. The only down side to the kids club was that a lot of the kids spoke other langauges (of course this is not the resorts fault) but I would keep it in mind for your own children. They may not be able to make friends because of the langauge barrier.

Overall I had a amazing time. We had 33 people attending our wedding and I would not have done one thing differently. Thank you Fernanda! Thank you Roy! Thank you Oscar! These people in particular made our trip even more special.

Room Tip: We stayed in building 21. It was very close to the beach. Try to stay on that side of the resort. (b...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank 865Jessica_V_12
Sandos_Caracol, General Manager at Sandos Caracol Eco Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 17, 2012

Dear guest,

On behalf of everyone at the Sandos Caracol Eco Resort & Spa, I would like to deeply and sincerely thank you for your beautiful review related to your recent vacation experience in our hotel.

I am very happy to know that you have a great time in our hotel and that your wedding celebration went very well and as planned.
I know that Fernanda is just an exceptional, committed person who does her best and do it with passion and because of that, the results are always great..

I will express my deepest gratitude to her as well as to Roy our barman for the excellent work he does which leave so many fond memories and unique experiences in people like you, he is indeed on of our finest members. Oscar will get his fair share as well, rest assured about this.

Have a wonderful weekend and may God bless you, your husband and your union.

Kindest wishes,

Luís Ramírez
Sandos Caracol Eco Resort & Spa

There are newer reviews for Sandos Caracol Eco Resort

Reviewed November 13, 2012

I arrived at about 7.30pm after an eleven hour flight and greeted by the smell of the donkeys. I waited for about 5minutes for someone to see to me at reception, even though there were 2 people who appeared to be doing very little. Check in didn't take long but he was not very forthcoming with imformation on the place. I asked about the safe and he told me there is one in the room and you need to put 6 digits in and press #. I was then taken to my room and realised how big the place was. I had to ask the bell boy how to get to the restaurant, he directed me to the Mexican which was closed for my entire stay (14th to 28th Oct) I then didn't know where to go to find the restaurants, I followed some people and managed to find the buffet.

My room 2514 was clean with a good, quiet air conditioning unit. The room was large with 2 double beds a tv and a wardrobe, not a lot of space for putting t shirts and non hanging stuff and would be sadly lacking storage for a family. The beds are firm but comfortable but the pillows are like concrete and really need changing (I slept without one but I usually do on holiday unless I take my own) There was a minibar that was stocked every other day, I only used the water which was replaced every day. The bathroom was large enough but the sink had a crack in it. The shower had to run for a few minutes before the hot water came through, but hot water was available all day everyday. They supply shampoo, shower gel and body lotion. The hairdryer stopped working after the first day and I tried pressing the re-set button but could not get it to work. I called for maintenance, he fixed it in about 5seconds by using the re-set button and then expected a tip. I had different towel art everyday. The curtains were not wide enough to cover the whole window, so I would get woken up in the morning with the sun coming through the window.

I was rudely awoken at 8.30am on my first day to say that my welcome pack was with guest services, I went up to collect it after breakfast, where, she tried to get me to upgrade to select and if I went out with the timeshare people (although she didn't say this) I would get it for $11 a day. I got several calls at this time of the morning asking me if everything was ok. The third time I went mad and said I was on holiday for a rest and not to be woken up at 8.30am, she apologised and they didn't call again.

Restaurants

La Laguna International buffet:

There was a wide variety of food available, and even the fussiest eater in the world would be able to find something to eat, there was always pizza, burgers and hot dogs available. The main and biggest problem was the food was never hot. I was there one day when they brought a fresh tray of mash potato from the kitchen and it was stone cold. There is no chance of the food staying warm under the warmers when it comes out of the kitchen cold. This really does need to be addressed.

Las Mascaras, Mexican:

Cannot comment as it was closed the 2weeks I was there.

La Toscana, Italian:

Had a very nice meal in here, Saltimboca a lovely steak that was warm, not hot, the accompaniments were stone cold. Dessert was a lovely double chocolate cake. I did not use the restaurant in the morning or lunch time as I don't like pasta or pizza, but friends I made said that it was far better than the International buffet.

El Nido snack bar:

I had food here once and got ambushed by the Coati, who stole my plate of food. I didn't eat there after that, it was too much like hard work.

La Riviera, Mediterranean:

This was lovely and one of only two places where I had hot food. The chicken souvlaki was lovely and accompanied by hot rice and veg. Dessert was a choclate fondant with vanilla ice cream, it was more like chocolate cake but very nice.

El Gaucho, Argentinian steak house:

This is now situated in the Royal Elite section as the Oriental is being done up. I ordered a T bone steak with fries, asparagus and roasted spring onions with a pepper sauce. The steak was full of gristle and felt like it had just been taken out of the fridge, I sent it back. Then my order came back incorrect, it had asparagus, mushrooms and onions but no fries or peppercorn sauce. The temperature was a bit warmer but still not to my liking but I didn't want to wait any longer so I accepted it. The peppercorn sauce was very nice but because it was virtually cold, it looked awful.

El Templo, Oriental:

I had spring rolls to start, that came out cold. My friends had dragon chicken wings which were very nice but not very hot (temperature) followed by Cantonese style duck, it was edible but not hot enough and the rice was freezing. I also tried the bourbon chicken which was nice but again not very warm.

Fogo de Brazil, Brazilian:

What can I say the only other place I had hot food and I went there twice. Sometimes the meat was a bit rare for my liking but I'm sure some people like their meat that way. It is dangerous to serve chicken and pork rare. The first time I went I had baked Alaska which was ok but they didn't burn off enough of the alcohol and spoilt the taste. The second time I had the pineapple and coconut cake, this was lovely.

The Mayan shows were really good and gave an insight into their history. My favourite was the Fire of Life show and after this there was mexican food available that was hot and very tasty. If they can manage to serve hot food outside, why can't they sort it out in the restaurants?

The 'Rock this way show' was very good and did have professional singers. Everyone raved about the Michael Jackson show, I thought the music was fantastic but badly mimed by someone who looked more like Gary Glitter than Michael Jackson. The dancers were very good. I never saw the 'ideal couples' not my cup of tea. I didn't see 'The Three Stooges' show as I didn't like the real thing and the Crazy show I walked out after 10minutes. I didn't go to the disco in the Royal Elite section, but I enjoyed the music they played after the shows, especially the Zumba party.

I slipped on the floor coming out from one of the shows and broke a toe, I'm teetotal so was not drunk. The floor gets very slippery I saw quiet a few people slip.

I didn't use the bikes but did walk the cycle path along with many other paths, it took me over an hour to walk all the way around, looking for the ruins, deer, suspension bridge and Mayan bees. The grounds are lovely and there are dispensers for mosquito repellent dotted around all over the place.

I didn't use the Cenote because they only supplied masks and not snorkels, and as I can't just put my head under water, so, I didn't see much point.

I saw a monkey one day, I was around the quiet pool when he came down for a drink. There are Iguanas everywhere, along with Coati, Raccoon, macaws, cats, dogs, peacocks and donkeys. The donkeys did cause a bad smell in the reception area, didn't bother me I have horses and used to it but I did hear quite a few people complain. The donkeys were kept on a bare patch of earth absolutely nothing for them to graze on. This is not right, they are grazing animals.

I spent all my time around the quiet pool (La Tortuga) which for the first week lived up to its name until some really loud Canadians turned up, especially one woman and her son who seemed to think that the whole pool wanted to know what she had got up to for the day and what she was ordering at the bar (and yes you did order a Margarita not a Pina Colada, like you told everyone around the pool.) There were 2 men in a group of 6 adults and several teenagers who made more noise than all the children in the childrens pool put together.

I only went to the beach twice, the first time I couldn't find a bed with any shade, they had all been reserved and it was only 8.30am and when I went in the sea I found a large rock that tripped me up and bruised my leg. The second time I found a shady spot but didn't stay there long is it got noisy when they turned up the music by the pool.

I booked my trips through the Thomas Cook rep, this is due to a previous experience I had in the Caribbean.
I went to Xplor it was fantastic and I would highly recommend it. Do the zip lines as soon as you get there because the queues become long, you have to keep on the move to do everything during the time you have there, but there is time for lunch.
I visited Coba and Tulum, this was great and very interesting and even got to climb up the pyramid in Coba, which I believe they are going to stop at the end of this year due to the damage that is being caused.
I went snorkelling with the turtles and saw rays, and different fish. On the way back we stopped at a Cenote and went snorkelling in the fresh water sink hole, we also went into one in a cave, which wasn't as cold as I expected, it also had a rope in it where you could tightrope walk with no fear of hurting yourself.

Playa Del Carmen is about a 10minute taxi ride away and costs 140 pesos (£7.25). Fifth Avenue is where all the shops are and although people try to get you into their shops a polite 'no thank you' is all that is needed.

There is a lot of building work going on at the hotel, I was lucky that I was far enough away not to be bothered by it.

Apart from reception all the other staff I met were lovely and couldn't do enough for you. The girl I dealt with to book the restaurants was brilliant and even got my squeezed into the Italian so that I could eat with my friends. The boys who worked La Tortuga bar were really good and got to know what you were drinking very quickly.

Would I stay at this hotel again?

If they could sort out the food temperature and I could get it at a good enough price, then yes I would.

Would I recommend this hotel to friends?

Yes, but I would tell them about the food temperature and building work.

This hotel could be right up there with the best. It would be interesting to see what it's like once all the refurbishment is completed and they have to sort out the food temperature.

Room Tip: I stayed in 2514 which was in a quiet area and had a nice view of the pool.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
5  Thank taffydi

Dear guest,

On behalf of everyone at the Sandos Caracol Eco Resort & Spa I would like to deeply and sincerely thank you for your very extensive and detailed review related to your recent vacation experience in our hotel.

I am very happy to know that all in all you have enjoyed your stay with us and would not just consider visiting us again, but also referring your friends and relatives.

I am very sorry about the particular issues you mention not to have been of your liking or up to expectations, we will certainly review each one of those and do everything possible to correct or improve where necessary.

In response to the two final points you mention right down below your mail, I would like to inform you that I have spoken to our executive chef in order to correct the issue of the temperature of the food immediately. I know and understand the importance of serving hot food hot. The buildings that you saw having some minor refreshment will be occupied with customers in just about a week from now if things go as planned.

I would also like to express that I am sorry about the accident you mention in which one of your toes was hurt.

Finally I would like to stress that contrary to what you seem to assume; the donkeys inside our property are perfectly treaty and have more than enough food. Every single day we cut grass along the entire resort and the donkeys receive it. The fact that you see donkeys eating whatever they get is just something part of their nature, not because they do not receive enough. Also I should stress that some of those donkeys were rescued from places in which if they had stayed, but now they would be dead and we as eco oriented people who protect both, our local flora and fauna, would never neglect animals which we voluntarily adopted as part of the Sandos Caracol family given the deplorable conditions in which they lived. It is unfortunate and saddens me to see that you took such a wrong impression. Those same donkeys which you mention and assume to be neglected, are inspected regularly by a veterinarian so that we make certain that they are in perfect shape and enjoy from good health..

Again, thanks a lot for your contribution by sharing your comments with us and the public in general. Rest assure that wherever there is room for improvement, Sandos Caracol is committed to take actions where it is the right and in the best interest of our customers, our employees and our organization.

Have a wonderful weekend.

Kindest wishes,

Luís Ramírez
Sandos Caracol Eco Resort & Spa

Reviewed November 12, 2012

The resort was just OK. We happened to be away from all the construction, which was a bonus, and we didn't get approached for a timeshare, which was nice.
I love animals, and there were some animals on the resort to view, however, I was concerned about their care. The donkeys are in a fenced off area, and you can pet them, if you wanted. But Donkey's are grazing animals, and there wasn't a green leaf anywhere to be found for these Donkeys to graze on. The dogs were friendly and seemed to enjoy a good pet, but again, were on dirt with a little shelter from the sun.
A lot of the chairs at the beach were broken, and the beach was horrible. I wish there was a warning before we got there to purchase water shoes. There are water shoes to purchase at the shops for their inflated prices. The rocks were horrible and hurt your feet, making swimming in the ocean a not very fun experience. The rooms were only decent, and the balcony's are useless. The beds were the most aweful and uncomfortable beds I have ever been on. The water has to be running for a long time to start to get warm or hot for a shower, not a good thing for an ECO resort, it's a huge waste.
The a la carte restaurants were good, and everybody loved the brazilian steak house! But booking them was a chore. We came to the resort on Saturday, and by Sunday afternoon, it was difficult to get in and the lady booking them kept saying Thursday for one of them, after telling her over and over, we can't do Thursday because that was the night for the wedding. She needs to work on her listening skills. Also, for the restaurants being so booked, it was basically empty. There was only about 2 other tables in the restaurant.
There is a river that is by the buffet, and it stinks to high heaven. It smells like the sewage from the resort is going through that water. Not a plesent smell when you are on your way to eat food. I saw complaints in the main lobby, where the manager responded to them. Apparently the "smell" was taken care of. It definately has not. We made the resort fun as there was a group of 25 of us down for a wedding, otherwise, I don't think I would have enjoyed myself. The wedding itself seemed to be taken care of very well and the bride seemed very happy. We had Roy as our bartender and he was fantastic! As was the waitress that was serving us during our week when we were on the beach. We went to tip her the last day, but she wasn't there :(.

Overall...just OK

The staff seemed helpful and the females were definately taken in by my little cousin who is almost one. They love him and to make him laugh. It was nice to see :)

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Jackie C
Reviewed November 11, 2012

I read a lot of reviews before choosing to go to Sandos caracol and I understand the negative and positive sides. that being said, One still has to make the most of their trip and not dwell on the negative.
My husband, two girls age 6yrs & 11mos(our 5th all Incl), lil sister n her husband and myself stayed at this resort for 8 days oct 30-nov6, 2012
We stayed in building 24 rm 01 & 4214. Old and out dated but livable. We didnt hang out there so didnt care too much about appearances.
grounds were Beautiful, very clean, and I enjoyed walking to and from places just to watch the greenery and listen to the birds in the trees. Coatis and racoons were always to be seen...racoons a little pesky at times but quite entertaining....poor donkeys didn't get too much attention and the pea fouls walked about freely. Iguanas hogged the sun by the pool by our room and the mosquitoes were quiet and sneaky. I got bites and didnt even know. They were not alot as some had said. I have been to four islands and mosquitoes were alot worse there than maya R! Avon bug rep. was good. when they were buzzing around it stopped them.
The pools were all refreshing, lots of moms and dads to talk to. the bartenders were friendly, especially a 19yr old with a 1yr old child(i forgot his name) He was a sweet heart.
The beach was beautiful. there were rocks but not too bad. i thought it was perfect for my little ones. bargain with the sellers on the beach. They sell bracelets for 3/$10US. The same bracelets they sell are $2US at the airport. Dont try to get a better deal than that but let them know and they will gladly accept as this is there means of living. They do not harass at all.
The food was wonderfull. I never eat steaks but at the steak house restaurant, I had no choice really. I got a well done sirloin and it melted in my mouth. My 6yr old loved it! There chicken and beef empanadas were amazing!!!
Italian was great, they had the best steaks ever and lasagna was amazing! Oriental wings were delish.
brazilian was an experience but i would skip it if i went back.
La laguna was great all the time especially breakfast. italian for brkfst was not so good, but lunch was. Look for sonia in La Laguna and tell her Muchos Taquila, his wife and 2 daughters say hi. She is the best!!!
the man at the cenote swim hit on my husband and bro inlaw in front of us, I was not happy about that...CREEP! The swim was refreshing!
On that line, they do have transgender shows at night that were in my opinion a bit too sexual for my taste. beware those with small kids and hot husbands!lol The only shows we liked were the Micheal Jackson and circus shows. The rest we walked away from!
Water park was a hit for my 6yr old!! There is a bar at every hangout spot so adults were entertained that way:)
Do a canoe ride if you have someone to watch the kids. I liked it. Simple, but sweet!
If you have wee ones who take naps, bring small Tupperware containers. You can pack a bit of something for them if they are sleeping during a meal. Also depending on your return flight time you can pack something to go:) Lots for babies to eat, bananas and yogurt, rice and beans, eggs, cottage cheese, breads. fresh juices too! Water served was drinkable. We had no problems. carry around the water bottles from mini bar so they can restock evryothr day. Do not brush teeth with tap wtr in bthrm. My hubby did and was fine but I dare not. use bttl wtr especially for kids.
The walks were a bit much in the sun at times so if you don't like walking get a room close to it all(like around bldg 24) Bring clothes hanging pegs to pin up blanket over sleeping baby in stroller or get a UV stroller cover...It gets HOT!!
The welcome package was not what I thought!!!!! BEWARE!
It was like a timeshare and a waste of 2 hrs(not 90mins)in the morn. I did it cause we forgot the kids sand buckets and said they wud giv if we attended. They tell you very little at first, then a little more, then a little more.....I had to ask to find out if membership cost anything...Well OF COURSE IT DID!!! Unless you have thousands of dollars to spend right there and then on signing don't bother going. Some did sign but i thought it was restricting as i would like to go to whatever hotel I want. The better the package the MORE you spend.(literally tens of thousands) The french Man helping the rep out was an ***! He was rude and made us feel like we were poor losers, mocking us at times. Told us all sorts of things to make us feel like we should sign because we SHOULD be better than who we are. NO THANKS!!!!!
The monkeys hang out in the adults only so we never saw them!!!!
nature walks n bike rides were fun.
Butler service was at the pools and beach, dont pay more for it. ALREADY INCL!
Dont feel too bad about tips. this is nothing like Cuba...I've been!...Bartender said he made about $400US a month(tips Not Incl). My hubby a few yrs ago made about that much on his island and lived fine. Living is diff than what we are used to in N. America. If you are being treated nicely by all means do, just like you would here!
Husband and sis n bro say Playa del carmen was great...expensive but nice.
Daughter didnt want to go to the kids club but it looked like fun. She did the face painting though. games room was fun
Oh, nights got cool, bring a sweater and extra blanket for small ones.
get a small map of resort as you get there to avoid getting lost...we got ours a couple days later in our "welcome package"lol

HAVE A GREAT TRIP!!! MOJITO EVERYDAY!!!!

Room Tip: bldg 24 was by a quiet pool/bar and a short walk to everything but reception
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
10  Thank beckysunshine2
Reviewed November 11, 2012

Just got back from a week trip to this resort. The resort was not bad but not fantastic. This was my first all inclusive experience so i have no other resorts to compare to but i must say i was let down a little bit. The room was clean but the cleaners came around to clean around 8:00 AM everyday which meant we had to up ready and out by then. There was a lot of food variety but the majority of it was very bland. They have a medical center open "24 hours" I showed up one morning and was told I had to wait until 9:00 AM for the center to open. I also found the spa to be very over priced.
The nightlife at the resort was much less than what we had expected. we spent almost every evening of our trip at the snack bar which was actually fantastic thanks to Roy - the best bartender we have ever had! He made the best drinks I had on the resort as well as ever in my life! All of the resort employees we encountered were great but Roy truly deserves and honorable mention for being so talented and fun! my Fiance and I give him a 5 Star Rating!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Dianna H
Reviewed November 10, 2012

friendly and helpful staff
clean
great food, great selection of foods/variety
plenty to do and see within the resort

although we had a few issues at check in and throughout the stay the staff was helpful, they didnt go above and beyond but tried their best to help.

Room Tip: try to get a room closer to reception...it helps on rainy days!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 9, 2012

just back from this great hotel. only went for a week which isnt long enough. we had an eleven hour flight on the way out. mexico was much greener than i thought and very hot. transfer was good, around 40 mins. the room was one of the older ones and the sink had a crack in it but the rest was fine and we could see the beach. the beach was amazing but all the best sun beds had towels on them by 9 am so get there early! we found the chill out pool which was mostly quiet and had a bar but no toilet. the main pool was very noisy with lots of kids, activies and loud music, not for us as we wanted peace.the wildlife is amazing, we found them all and the grounds are beautiful. the staff. they can not do enough for you. always smiling and seem to love their job. the food. the hotel is huge so they do well. lots of people so there is some queing. the racoons are so funny, they come out at night and are little bandits. they get in the bins, jump on the tables and will eat anything! if you dont like this dont eat at the snack bar. the resort is like a small town but please leave and see whats outside the bubble. great holiday.

Room Tip: book a meal at the steak house, food and service amazing
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
The Reef Coco Beach
The Reef Coco Beach
#104 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras

Been to Sandos Caracol Eco Resort? Share your experiences!