“Sandos Select Club”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Knoxville, TN
“Sandos Select Club”
Reviewed January 30, 2012

We just got back from Sandos Caracol Select Club. We had a Penthouse suite, on the third floor of one of the buildings sectioned off as the Select Club. The room had a bedroom, living room and a large terrace with a large outdoor Jacuzzi, big enough for 4! The TV was in the bedroom, but there should be one in the living room. Promotional pictures show a bar in the room, but that is not the case. There was a large pool in the center of the Select Club area, which was very nice. There was also the Select Club Beach Club, which was sectioned off from the rest of the beach. The beach Club had a good bar and snacks/sandwiches all day, and this is where we spent most of our time. Other than these two areas, the rest of the resort was the family Eco resort. All of the restaurants were open to the families for dinner, so if you wanted to be away from kids you were out of luck.

I would highly recommend the family resort for family vacations, where the children are 10 and below. They have great activities for kids in the kids club and waterpark. There were mostly families there but the kids were never a problem for us. If you want an “adults only” resort like a Sandals, this is not the place.

The resort is very clean and well kept. The buffet food was good. The Brazilian restaurant was great! We had a good relaxing 5 days which is what we wanted.

Overall we would rate the resort a 4.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Ladyvol

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,170)
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Alberta
Reviewed January 30, 2012

We did a one week all inclusive at Caracol and used a friends timeshare for the stay. The service was excellent with special honors to Valentina at the Elite desk for her outstanding service and helpfullness with all of our needs. All the other staff were very friendly as well and all would greet you with an "Hola" when passing. The food was good although after a week, even though good selection, the food tasted the same and a change would be good. The drinks were good and bar staff good, but the selection on what they could make was limited, although if you asked, they would try to make whatever you requested. Overall a very nice resort with great staff and lots to do for a good price. The aquapark was visited for one morning but our kids were too old for that, but still nice. The shows in the evening varied. We saw 3 shows, 2 were absolutely fabulous and one was very boring, but the entertainment team tried and were very good as a whole. If you go, even though there are many lounge chairs at the pools, in order to get a chair you need to get up and out early. We found that others would put belongings on chairs and never use them the entire day. Overall a great experience, book the alacarte restaurants early and take advantage of the extras that the resort has to offer. We could have done alot more but never realized the many things free to do, but we did kayak on the ocean. Just need to ask so I am sure our next trip to Caracol will be even better.

Room Tip: Depending if travelling with kids or not, watch which room to pick. The walls are thin and babies cr...
2 Thank cdnemsguy
Brandon
Reviewed January 29, 2012

Only one thing to say - if you don't want to be around kids then this is not the place for you AT ALL. We had a great time with our 5 year old girl and two year old boy. The Aqua Park is great for kids 3-8-ish but be prepared for cuts and bruises - I think this is a small price to pay so that your little ones are not slipping everywhere :) People complained the water was cold at this area and the main pool but I never thought it was too bad - I found it very refreshing against the Mexico heat!

Main pool is great and has a shallow end for the little kids.....although the tile and edges are getting dated.

Beach was great and lots of room - watch for sharp rocks in the ocean.

We stayed for a week and felt there was plenty to do for the kids that we didn't go on any excursions.

First few days we didn't put towels out anywhere (pool or beach) and didn't have anywhere to sit . We didn't agree with putting towels on chairs to reserve but found we were doing the same thing just to get a spot at the pool......and we are ones that showed up right after breakfast by 9-9:30 - so you can imagine how frustrating it was to watch all these chairs sit empty until 12, sometimes 1pm. And often no one ever sat at them at all........but it seems everyone honoured a chair as taken if there was a towel on it!

Our room was pretty good - a junior suite - I don't think I'd want less with two kids - lots of room to run and a lot of separation between the two beds. Beds are terribly hard and pillows uncomfortable - we never slept for more than an hour or two at a time. We sat out on the spacious patio a few nights - and it even has a jacuzzi tub on it.....we did use it one night to soak our feet and was nice. Rain/water seems to be a problem for rooms - ours wasn't too bad. it only rained a few times and there was one corner of our room where it ran down the wall and pooled in the corner.....if we would have had a full day of rain I could see it being a problem. I believe we had one of the nicer rooms, so can't imagine what others might have experienced.

Food was plentiful....our kids were tired by noon so lunch time was often the snack bar - which was burgers, hot dogs, fries, sometimes chips and salsa - so got kind of boring but we enjoyed the convenience.

A la cartes - Japanese was good - but I saw a couple across from us disgusted with their meal. I was just happy to not be at a buffet for a change I guess :)

La Toscana (Italian) was pretty good by my standards - although no one but me ate much. I was really impressed with the creme brulee for dessert.

Brazilian - we liked how they shaved meat off a big skewer onto your plate - so you got to try out different meats and flavoured BBQ'd........we were very disappointed in the consistency and service and felt we were always waiting for them to come around with more food. It was too bad too as both kids fell asleep before any food arrived so it felt like we were out on a date!

Staff were so friendly and worked very hard. Kid's club staff were fantastic - did so many different activities thoughout the day.

Outdoor movies were awesome at the theater - 2 year old really enjoyed this.

Nature, animals was awesome here - felt like I was at a zoo at times.......always something to look at and explore.

Lots of walking! :)

Jennifer, Jessica and Memo were very good to us - thank you all!

Overall great trip, would only recommend to families with young children.

6 Thank Alana L
South Bend, Indiana
Reviewed January 29, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for one week after spending one week at The Grand Mayan.

While the resort was not as nice as the Grand Mayan I liked the way it was layed out. The beach area is not bad (100 times better than the beach at the Grand Mayan, since you can't swim in the ocean at all there, but not as nice as it is in Plya...)and the resort tries to make sure everyone has fun.

The food was good, with plenty of choices, but the drinks were a little lacking.

My wife and I really liked how they had the look of a town in the center of the resort.

Our roon was right up front and had a great view. Wasnt the nicest in the world, but it had everything we needed.

For the price we paid ($850) for a week I would say its a great vacation place on a budget!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank RAW110
Philadelphia
Reviewed January 29, 2012

Our stay was in January 2012 for one week. Were put in a room that smelled so bad with mold that we asked to change rooms. The wood on the bathroom door frame was rotted with black and white mold growing on it. The place was so busy that we had to wait two nights to change rooms. Once we changed there was no more problem smell. Stay away from some of the older buildings #40 or don't choose the bottom rung or cheapest room. We were in 40-22 and needed to leave. I would have given a higher rating if it were not for the poor room. Also, the drinks are watered down, it you want to get a good drink bring your own booze. We had children with us on the trip and were happy that no one was walking around drunk, but sometimes you want a normal potency drink when you are on vacation. I would recommend the place and go again especially with kids but would not take thier cheapest room.

Room Tip: Stay away from the center of the resort, for noise and stay clear of the older buildings #40 especia...
3 Thank OwenBarton
Prescott, Canada
Reviewed January 29, 2012

My wife and i stayed in the select club from jan 12 to jan 22 ,this resort really has
something for everyone.The rooms are nice and clean a new towel creation every day.
Buffet and specialty restaurants were excellent including the 24 hour snack bar.
There is lots to do and see wild life, great shows at night ,entertianment by the main
pool,the beach is nice with food and drink service and no problem finding a chair.
My favorate place to hang out was the select club pool the service was second to none
and the brazilian restaurant was open for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
I would like to personally thank the entire staff at sandos caracol eco resort for their
hard work and great service.

Room Tip: I would recommend the select club area ,nice rooms with a few perks
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bernier64
London, Canada
Reviewed January 29, 2012

Hi, this review is ovedue, but I still felt it was important to share. We went to Sandos Caracol from Jan. 5-12, 2011. My sister and brother in-law had their 25th anniversary vow renewal on the 8th, and my husband and I were married there on the 10th. Here's my review:

Rooms: The front desk was pretty accomodating of our group of 25's requests. We had an adjoining room which helped for some close family. Also my friend, staying solo, was placed in the room right next to ours. The rooms were very nice. We had one with a jacuzzi tub which the kids loved. The room was big, but it felt a little cramped for 2 adults and two children. The bathroom layout was perfect for a family as the toilet was in it's own little area, allowing for others to use the sink, shower or tub when in a rush to get ready. The bed was huge, but the balcony was small. The only problem we had with our room was the safe not opening. At one point we had to have security come and open it but there were no problems after that. We ordered room service a couple of times and it was very good and took a reasonable amount of time to arrive.

Resort: This resort is huge- bring your walking shoes. It was a bit hard on the 4 year old and there was a lot of carrying. We had brought a stroller that sunwing lost on the way down- not the resorts fault. That stroller would have made a huge difference. There was something to keep everyone happy here from age 3-63. The main pool and beach are awesome. The younger kids enjoyed the kids pool which was very well layed out- just extremely far away from everything else. The spa was amazing and the massages for me and my husband, which were part of our wedding package were glorious. I also had my hair done there on the wedding day and they did a great job.

Food: Everyone loved the food. I need to send a HUGE thank you to the staff at the Steak House where we had our wedding dinner. They went above and beyond to make our dinner perfect. They were fun, and the food was outstanding. I also think that this is the best view from any restaurant looking out to Cozumel's lights across the water. We also loved the Mexican restaurant and the snack bar was a favourite for everyone. The kids loved the soft serve "help yourself" ice cream. I loved the fresh salsa, chips and guacamole. My husband raved about the breaded fish there. The main buffet was also pretty decent. The Italian always seemed to have pretty long line ups, but this is to be expected at a resort with 1000 rooms. It was about the only place we waited for anything.

Wedding: We chose to get married down south because we didn't want to sweat the small stuff. This is truly only for those who can leave things in the hands of the hotel. We picked the location for the ceremony, the dinner and the reception. The only other thing we had to pick was the flowers and the colour of ribbons we wanted. There was very little communication with the wedding coordinator before we went. The hotel had 4 wedding coordinators come and go in the 6 months before we arrived. I have to say that Sandos did an absolutely perfect job of our wedding day. They made us feel very important and I didn't have to worry about a thing. A golf cart picked me up and delivered me and my wedding party to the beach location. They clear a large area of the beach for weddings. Although there were lots of guests on the beach soaking up the last sun for the afternoon, all were very respectful of our ceremony. Some even stood and clapped after the ceremony. They only added to the day. The judge we had was sweet, easy to understand and injected a bit of humour into the service. After the ceremony there was champange for all our guests. We went with the resort photographer and were thrilled with the results. We bought all of the 400 pictures he took and could not have been happier with the job he did. He captured everything. NOTE: The photographer is only with you though from the ceremony start to the time for dinner. So, you need to count on your family and friends to take pictures of the rest of the day. We had our reception at the deck near the Select Club. It was set up with ribbons, white wicker chairs and the select club bar was all ours for the night. We also had a waitress just for our party. The location was stunning and the service again was perfection. There was a sound system set up with a microphone for speeches and we could plug our ipod in for dancing. Our wedding cake was delivered to us at the reception and it was good too.
The only problem we had, was there was a document filled out in triplicate during the wedding ceremony with the signatures of our wedding party and my husband and my thumb prints. We were supposed to get a copy of this, but we never received it. A very small thing which I mention so that future brides can remember to pick it up. When we went to see the wedding coordinator she wasn't there and we left two days after the wedding. Although we tried to contact the hotel to have it sent to us, we weren't successful. I would highly recommend Sandos Caracol to anyone thinking of getting married down south.

Birthday party: We worked with our wedding coordinator to arrange a birthday party for our 4 year old on our last day there. It was $5.00 per person, which was reasonable. They got her a huge pinata full of goodies which everyone had a whack at. There was fruit punch, and huge birthday cake, pink of course. One of the staff from the kids club was there to help run the party and he even sang Happy Birthday in Spanish to the birthday girl. The snacks were odd for a child's birthday- there was sushi and caviar. Very high end snacks which some of the adult guests loved. The snack bar wasn't far away, so the kids just grabbed some snacks. Oh, our location for the birthday party was at the sports bar area in the afternoon.

If anyone has any questions about getting married at Sandos, feel free to contact me. If you a looking for a wonderful resort with tons to do, great staff, great food and good service, Sandos is perfect!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
Barcelo Maya Tropical
Barcelo Maya Tropical
#7 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
#4 of 25 in Puerto Morelos
Bel Air Collection Xpu Ha Riviera Maya
Barcelo Maya Caribe
Barcelo Maya Caribe
#12 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras

Been to Sandos Caracol Eco Resort? Share your experiences!