“Swimming with dolphins”
Review of Delphinus Xcaret

Delphinus Xcaret
More attraction details
Owner description: Delphinus Xcaret is located inside Xcaret Eco Park; just 15 minutes from Playa del Carmen. If you are visiting this lovely park, enjoy the opportunity of swimming with dolphins the same day at the best place.The provision of space and care of every detail at Delphinus Xcaret has enabled us to develop innovative and high quality dolphin swim programs. Here, you will enjoy a swim with dolphins program that suits your spare time and taste, and your family will love it!Delphinus Xcaret, is awarded with the Guinness World Record for being the dolphinarium with more dolphins born in one facility along one year.Visit us and enjoy your Swim with Dolphins at Delphinus Xcaret selecting from 3 programs: Delphinus Interax, Delphinus Primax and Delphinus Dolphin Ride.
Reviewed October 1, 2013

It was a one in a lifetime experience for me and my family, it was basic but next time I want to do a different dolphin experience.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,389)
All reviews
"foot push"
in 55 reviews
"swimming with the dolphins"
in 52 reviews
"small group"
in 7 reviews
in 76 reviews

Reviewed September 27, 2013

Although this was a 'commercial' experience - I felt that the dolphins were in good condition and well looked after.

The well being of the dolphins was always the primary consideration.

I would have preferred larger pools for the dolphins though (but heard that they have a very successful breeding programme and I guess they would not breed if they were not happy in their environment)

Reviewed September 15, 2013

We had been planning a dolphin swim with our daughter for many years and finally got the opportunity while we were on holiday at the Xcaret Grand hotel next door to the park. We chose the Primax 4 package which was very expensive but ensured good time in the water with just 4 people. My daughter and I took part, and to keep the cost down my husband went as a spectator. He had done it years ago in Florida.
We knew there was a photograph package....that they would try quite hard to sell it to us....and that it would be expensive - we accepted that was part of the deal and that we would, in fact, buy the photos because they would be good quality close ups and my husband, who was carrying a camera around his neck, would not be able to take good shots from where he was.
What actually happened once we were herded off to our pool was someone asked my husband which party he was with and directed him to an area as far away as it was possible to be - he could not watch our swim with the dolphins - he was at least a hundred yards away behind a barrier that blocked good viewing. There were other spectators much closer to us with good views of the fun we were having.
He asked to be moved to the area that was closer and was told it was too difficult. He asked again and was given directions that took him out of the park altogether! He asked a third time and finally was directed to the right viewing area just in time for us to finish.
He was very, very upset. It was a big deal for us to finally take her to swim with the dolphins - we actually chose a Mexico holiday because of this fact, otherwise we would have gone to Greece! He is convinced that he was kept away from us because he had a DSLR around his neck and therefore we may not have purchased their photos.
Other spectators were taking photos but had perhaps been wiser in keeping their cameras in their bags - we obviously didn't know to be wary.
From our angle as participants - we were led up from the pools after our swim and ushered into a very slick area with lots of sales people ready for us with our photos on screen. This area was air conditioned to the point of freezing and this was before we were given a towel - COLD and WET. The towels were actually in there. I presume to draw you in. I refused as it was just too cold and said I would come back when dry. I was happy too. We'd always intended to buy.
The price was phenomenol....we'd excpected expensive...they outdid Disney!!
I wish I could tell you the exact price, but I can't remember. But it was something like $240-260 for the DVD and a CD of 44 photos. We asked if there was a cheaper package and ended up buying just the photos for around $170 - absolutely mad!!
When we got out and were talking to the other poor punters who had been equally shocked at the price we found we could have bought individual pics at $20 each - still a sting.
In conclusion...the dolphin swim was lovely - we paid what we expected to pay - didn't feel ripped off in any way 10/10.
But beware if you choose to use this facility - HIDE YOUR CAMERA!!!

I appologise to Xcaret if I have quoted your prices incorrectly - they are ball park guesses - but very close.

1  Thank Hom52
Delphinus-webMkt, Gerente at Delphinus Xcaret, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2013

Dear Traveler, thank you for sharing your story for the TripAdvisor community. We welcome your comment about our dolphin experience and that you considered as “lovely”, which until then flatters us. By reading your text saddens us is that you have the idea that our staff was blocking the view or taking you to a distant sites so your husband could not take their own photos, if this was your perception we sincerely apologize on it. It will never be our intention that our visitors feel this way. One thing we love about our job is the possibility of giving intense moments of happiness to our visitors through the contact with our dolphins.

We thank you for choosing our company and has been in Mexico the place you chose to live the experience of swimming with dolphins, there are many people that have lived it in Israel, Turkey, Orlando or Hawaii and according to their perception they found most interesting our experience or better executed than other sites, but it is a reality that these views have a part of subjectivity that is needed to consider.

We take into account your comment about the temperature of the area of photo and video, as well as the place where towels are delivered, we hope to improve these details. Thank you very much.

Reviewed September 11, 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our time at Delphinus. Neither of us had swum with dolphins before and we loved the experience. Our guide was extremely friendly and informative (I forget his name otherwise I would recommend him).

We did the 'primax 4' package which means that there are only 4 of you in the pool as opposed to the usual 12-13, but as we booked the first slot at 8 / 8.30am, we had the dolphins to ourselves which was a huge bonus.

The photos are an absolute rip-off - $45 for one photo, $180 for the cd of photos and a dvd (12mins) of your time with the dolphins (although we managed to barter down to $160) etc etc. HOWEVER, both the photos and the dvd are amazing and we don't regret spending the $160 whatsoever.

There were a couple of activities we didn't get to do which we were a bit disappointed with, but we did get to do the foot push which is pretty much what everyone goes to do as well as the kiss, the dancing and having them jump over our heads.

We had a fantastic experience, but maybe shop around a bit before you choose Delphinus (although if you do end up here you won't be disappointed).

See more reviews
Reviewed September 8, 2013

There are many many Dolphin parks in Playa del Carmen area, and we were advised to go to this by our tour rep over the much nearer Dolphin Discovery Centre (DDC) in Peuto Adventuras. The reason for this being the group size is restricted to four and you get a full hour with the Dolphin. Other parks have groups of ten and 30 to 45 minutes for the same money. We were picked up from our hotel by the Delphinus bus and driven the 15 minutes to the park. We were given complementary tee shirts and furnished with floatation vest, had a safety talk and we were taken straight to the Dolphin pool. TBH it's wasn't the largest I'd seen, but it was right beside the sea, protected only by a stone breakwater so the water was freshly changed . I thought this was important because the DDC is set at the end of a large and complex marina were the tide and sea water changes must be much less. I'd also heard of other parks which are out in the sea on pontoons and is at the mercy of the sea conditions sea which can get quite choppy in the afternoon and the last thing you want is to be fighting the sea when you are in the pool.
We had a great time with the Dolphin with constant interaction, topped off by the "two foot push" were you float on your front on the water with your legs straight behind you and your arms out to the sides. Two Dolphins then swim up behind you and put their snouts on the soles of your feet, they then push you forward and up out of the water until you bend your knees when they stop - great fun especially as I'm topping 280lbs.
As with all this type of attraction they want to make more money from you on the photos and videos, as obviously you can't take your own and they keep any non swimming members of your party who may want to take pictures a long way away. The packages have varyingly prices and as this was on my "bucket list" we got the lot at a negotiated cost of about £100, yes they will haggle on the price. My only complaint is the video quality which a SD and a not very good quality, they should be shooting full HD.
All in all an expensive but an excellent "once in a lifetime" experience.

1  Thank Ian M