“New location and better than before”
Review of Oh Lala!

Oh Lala!
Reserve with OpenTable
Oh Lala! is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 1,333 Restaurants in Playa del Carmen
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The cuisine at Oh Lala! Is a refreshing change from that of other, more conventional restaurants. Guests are treated like good old friends in a relaxing atmosphere coupled with personalized service and good food. Opened in January, 2011, by co-owners George and Mikaela, Oh Lala! Offers personalized experiences for its guests, ranging from a laidback sampling of hors d'oeuvres and wines, to a leisurely look at the full menu. With a total of 9 tables divided between the indoor and outdoors seating, and an open kitchen, Chef George, Mikaela, and their staff, make sure that every visit to Oh Lala, International Cuisine by George, Is a unique and a delicious one.
Reviewed December 6, 2013

We are regular visitors to Playa and this restaurant. However this was our first visit to their new location and it is a major improvement (though just around the corner from) the old one.
Again very good service and we had excellent seared tuna and lobster.
Wine list continues to be short but adequate.
Easily enough to keep us going back.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,030)

Reviewed December 4, 2013

Made reservations via email for our 25th wedding anniversary. I really wanted a special night for my wife for our anniversary. The Ahi Tuna was one of the best I"ve ever had and our hostess and chef were amazing and genuinly concerned that we enjoyed ourselves. They even had a complimentary dessert for the occasion.

If you are looking for a fine dining EXPERIENCE then you have to try Oh LaLa.

We are going back before we leave Playa

1  Thank Mark T
Reviewed December 1, 2013

Mikaela and George are Lovely! I have some difficult food allergies and had been emailing with Mikaela ahead of time. She was so attentive to make sure that I could have a wonderful meal and not become ill. We went with the last seating of the night and it was a wonderful dinning experience. I had the filet mignon with green beans and mashed potatoes. All three items were exceptional! Mikaela was so pleasant and genuinely sweet! At the end of the evening George came out to thank us for coming which was very nice.
This is an elegant restaurant that I would very highly recommend!! We will be going back in May!

1  Thank Suzanne C
Reviewed December 1, 2013

I booked this restaurant a week or so before we left for our Thanksgiving week vacation. Ir was well worth the extra planning. Small, but easy to find, they cater to people who like well crafted food. My wife and I started with the Tuna Carpaccio Focaccia, it was so god we wanted to order another. The lobster in Mango and curry sauce was so well seasoned that it wasn't too sweet nor spicy but both flavors were there. The entire meal was wonderful and was by far the best food we had in PDC.

Reviewed November 30, 2013

Nice looking place. Will only seat 28 per evening. Solid but short menu. Well presented with good service. I had grilled tuna and carmel banana dessert..quite good although the tuna was a tad tough...but I asked for it to be completely cooked...so I share this. My wife had a beautiful salad and the seared tuna.
There is not much liquor to be had...no real bar and a mix of Mexican and Spanish ( mostly) wines. Children are allowed. We had a very young one there when we were. Well behaved but vocal.....
Shortly after returning to our room, my wife's meal returned with a vengeance which continued until 4 AM. One vodka and soda only so most likely the tuna. Sad.
We have been to Mexico over 30 times with no ill effects from food or water..I hope the first is the last.

2  Thank Jim W
Ohlala254, Owner at Oh Lala!, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2013

Dear viewers,

I am writing this email to the people that visit this page and will read this review.

After reading the review, I contacted the guests immediately by phone, and since couldn’t get a hold of them by phone, sent them an email. We were in touch during Sunday and Monday in order to follow up on our guests and be at their service if needed.

According to the guest, his wife and him shared everything during the previous 3 days. They dinned at our restaurant on Friday and for the first time during the vacation; they did not share the Tuna.
While with us, the wife ate a salad, the seared Tuna and had a glass of Vodka Soda. When got to the room, felt sick and spent the following hours (until 4 AM) with vomits. After a long night, was tired but did not show any other symptom.

Even though we know that our products are fresh and that we would never serve something that was not in good conditions, I was worried to think there was a possibility of causing someone such an unacceptable situation.

After speaking with the guest and knowing that his wife was well and did not have any other symptoms after 4 AM of Saturday, the conclusion that I can get is that this was a digestive disorder.
A digestive disorder can be caused by different factors. If this was a food poisoning situation, the guest would have a combination of illness symptoms for days and would need to be immediately assisted by a doctor.

We have had our restaurant for 3 years now, and this is the first time we hear such a terrible incident.
We are responsible in what we do, follow all the health, Sanitation and hygiene rules and would never serve a product that could compromise our guests health.

With all the respect,