“A tiny gem”
Review of Oh Lala!

Oh Lala!
Reserve with OpenTable
Oh Lala! is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 1,495 Restaurants in Playa del Carmen
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The cuisine at Oh Lala! Is a refreshing change from that of other, more conventional restaurants. Guests are treated like good old friends in a relaxing atmosphere coupled with personalized service and good food. Opened in January, 2011, by co-owners George and Mikaela, Oh Lala! Offers personalized experiences for its guests, ranging from a laidback sampling of hors d'oeuvres and wines, to a leisurely look at the full menu. With a total of 9 tables divided between the indoor and outdoors seating, and an open kitchen, Chef George, Mikaela, and their staff, make sure that every visit to Oh Lala, International Cuisine by George, Is a unique and a delicious one.
Reviewed April 9, 2013 via mobile

They say good things come in small packages, right? Oh lala seats 14 people and it is fabulous! We had the mushrooms in wine sauce and the caprese salad- both delicious. We had planned on sharing the mushrooms but they were too good to share! I had the chicken curry and my husband had the rare tuna with balsamic glaze and literally used his finger to scrape the glaze off the plate. My curry was delicate and delicious. The birthday dessert brought to the table was a small scoop of rich vanilla ice cream with a small ramekin of warm dark chocolate mousse- outstanding and though small was perfectly sized because of how rich it was. Reservations are necessary by email due to how tiny Oh Lala is- we watched three parties that walked in but couldn't be seated. The owner, an exquisite Portugese and Angolean young woman, made us feel like old friends. We will definitely return!

1  Thank jodygs

Dear Guest,

Thank you for writing this review and being so kind about your experience at our restaurant.

We are very glad to know that you enjoyed your special diner and felt like old friends, while speaking to me. This is exactly how we would like you to feel while at our restaurant.

We were very glad to receive you and your husband and thank you sharing such a special date with us.

Mikaela & George

Write a ReviewReviews (2,224)

Reviewed April 8, 2013

We were so excited that we were able to get reservations for one of the two nights we stayed in Playa. This definitely has a number one rating for a reason. The food was excellent!! The wine pairing that the chef suggested was fabulous. All of our courses were delicious but the Oh La La salad was by far our favorite. It is a very small place so be sure to make a reservation if you plan on coming to Playa. It was booked full the night we were there.

2  Thank calbin

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your words about our restaurant and service. We appreciate them and are very happy to have offered you and your party a great experience at our restaurant. It’s a pleasure for us to receive our guests and make sure they leave with a good taste of the service and food and wine.

As you say, reservations are really required, as Oh lala is a small restaurant and in order to offer guests the best service we can, we need to have the seating’s well organized. We would love to receive everyone that arrives to our restaurant, but that is not always possible.

We thank you once again for your valuable comments and look forward to receiving you at our restaurant in a future visit to Playa del Carmen.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed April 5, 2013

We really don't want to give this restaurant such a good review again because we want to try to keep it our secret. We will continue to come back if we can get in! The food here deserves the number one rating it gets.

1  Thank b1j2m3c1

My Dear Guest,

What a pleasure to have you back and enjoying your experience at our restaurant for the 2nd time:).
We appreciate you for your time and for trusting us by coming back to our restaurant ! We will do our best to keep up the quality of food and service and never let you down.

Looking forward to having you back.

Our kindest regards,

Reviewed April 5, 2013

The food was very good! I am almost 13 and love eating good food! I ate the Oh Lala salad for an appetizer and I thought it was amazing! They didn't skimp on anything! My mom had the Mediterranean salad and thought it was very refreshing. My dad had the Nordic salad and he thought it was very good! We all thoroughly enjoyed our meals as there where choices for everyone! Even my picky little sister, who had a grilled chicken breast with rice. She thought the rice was very tasty! My mom had the Thai chicken curry and said it was ok. My dad and I had the filet mignon and they were very good. The mash potatoes were very tasty compared to many other restaurants. We had the Chocolate cake for dessert which was definitely the highlight of the meal! Thank you for a great meal!

3  Thank Lizelle V

My dear 13 years old guest,

Thank you very, very much for your honest beautiful comment. What a delight to read and know that you enjoyed your dinner at our restaurant.

It was great to receive you and your family and be able to offer you a great experience during your vacation in Playa.

Your words and sense of appreciation of good food are very much appreciated.

We will be glad to have you back whenever you visit Playa del Carmen again.

Wishing you the best!

Reviewed April 4, 2013

We visited Oh LALA while on vacation in playa and it was the food highlight of the trip. I simply could not get into the resort food so the gf and I visited on a weds evening. The dishes were well-thought and put together in a simple, yet delicious fashion. I ordered the lobster special, which came with two lobster tails mixed in a sweet/hot (some sort of curry) sauce that was very very good. My gf ordered the seared tuna w/ balsamic syrup over mashed potatoes- it was downright awesome. I felt bad, bc i ate my whole meal, as well as half of hers.. we both agreed that while my special was very good, the tuna was downright great...one of those dishes that you wake up and crave one day. We had 3 glasses of wine, 2 bottled water (tourists-so we go bottled), a delicious tuna app on flatbread, our meals, and desert for a grand total of $88 usd. Not that money was the issue, but holy crap, compared to the junk at the resort, this was a steal.. in philly where i live this was definitely a 150$ mean pre-tip. I really enjoyed it, the owners (married european couple) seem to truly care about the food and service...which is a nice break from the 5th ave dolled-up chain restaurants and fakers that cater directly to the tourism. thank you for a great dinner

2  Thank 359garyg

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for the great comment!

We would like to thank you for the kind words and for choosing our restaurant for your night out of the resort. We are therefore glad to know that our service and food exceeded your expectations and that you enjoyed your evening with us.

We thank you again for taking the time share your opinion with other guests and will be more than glad to have you back whenever you visit Playa del Carmen again.