“Guess you need to have Jose as your bus guide!”
Review of Cancun Bay Tours

Cancun Bay Tours
Ranked #89 of 372 Tours in Playa del Carmen
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: We are a Mexican company that offers Tours and Ground transportation services in Cancun and Riviera Maya. We strive to offer quality services at amazing prices, plus we give the necessary support to make your shopping experience easier through our Web site.
Rochester, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Guess you need to have Jose as your bus guide!”
Reviewed April 20, 2013

We traveled to Chichen Itza with Jose on Wednesday April 3. Jose taught my family so much about Mexico in general as well as the Mayans and the ruins. Not only was he incredibly informative but funny as well! We all commented on how much he went above and beyond his duties to teach us important facts. Even our 3 children 15,13, and 10 were tuned in to what he was saying. Yes he went back and forth between English and Spanish but I could understand him. Yes he talked most of the time but we were all interested in learning what he was teaching us. I despise the tourista type excursions but found this to be incredibly informative which outweighed the wait at the mall which for us was only 20 minutes. On the way home we were behind schedule so several vans met us at a common location in order to get each family back to their hotel faster. Originally we were going to rent a car and go on our own but we never would have learned what we did. We enjoyed the cenote and the Mayan marketplace where we bought the Mayan hieroglyphic necklaces for our children..huge hit and way better than a t-shirt. Our lunch was fine, not excellent but not horrible either. We also enjoyed arriving at Chichen Itza later in the day when there were less visitors and not so hot. I thought it was a good strategic move. We also enjoyed the stop at the city on the way back and seeing the church and "love seats" in the park. Again, Jose told us all abut what we would see before we arrived. Yes it was a very long day but it was the ONLY trip my kids never complained once during!!!!! That is a review in itself! A highlight for all of us!

1 Thank BCCSB

• Polish first
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“If you want to waste 10 hours on absolutely nothing”
Reviewed April 10, 2013

I realise there's plenty of people who enjoy these kind of excursions and if you like to sit on a bus together with other tourists for 14 hours, clapping your hands and cheering on command because your fellow travelers just told you and the rest of the bus which country they come from, then read no further - this is the tour for you! If not.. Please take a minute and read my review.

I don't want to hurt anyones feelings and therefore won't mention any names, but I will tell you that the bustour I took with this company on April 1 2013 to go to Chichen Itza from Playa del Carmen is the worst one I've ever experienced in my life.

I don't mind doing some touristy things during my holiday as long as I feel I learn something new and get to experience things I would otherwise miss out on, but this tour was just one big joke..

We were picked up at 7.20 and then driven to a big shopping mall where we had to stand in a long line to purchase the tickets we already had booked the day before.. It took 1,5 hours before we even started our journey towards Chichen Itza.

The guide on the bus talked non stop about absolutely NOTHING that had to do with the Mayan culture we were about to experience and spent most of his (and our) time laughing at his own, seriously bad jokes. He mixed Spanish with English in a way that made his whole narration completely incomprehensible - hour after hour, all we could hear was an extremely annoying voice, or noise, come out of the speakers. There was no escaping it. If only he could have let us sleep! Or why not show a documentary about the Mayan culture and Chichen Itza instead?

Included in the tour was a visit to a cenote, and the guy who sold us the trip in Playa del Carmen had said that we would be able to rent snorkel equipment at the cenote and then have time for snorkeling... That turned out to be a lie. When we pulled up by the cenote, there were already 4 buses with tourists there... And inside the crowded cenote, there were two mexicans depressed up as Maya indians, ready to pose together with you in a picture.. Of course, these horrific touristy things that manage to destroy the natural beauty of a place like this is something you have to be prepared to see on a tour like this, but it still wasn't the included snorkeling experience they had sold us back in Playa del Carmen... There was no snorkel gear in sight and we only stopped at the cenote for 35 minutes. That was quite enough of time though, considering all the crowds who went into the water, despite the fact that it must be an awful health hazard. Just imagine all the busloads of people that go into that water every day.. Considering this wasn't one of those cenotes with natural water supply, I don't even want to think about all the bacterias that are having a feast in that puddle of water...

Anyways, after the cenote it was time for shopping in a "Mayan village", which meant that we passed village after village with real Mayan descendants in poorer communities and then dropped off at a newly built market place that sold plastic souvenirs.

Then it was time for lunch! (We have now been traveling for nearly 7 hours and still haven't reached Chichen Itza.) That meant that we were squeezed into a big room with HUNDREDS of other tourists who were all fighting over a disgusting buffet with tasteless food and flies. Mexican music came out of the speakers and between the long tables, mexicans were dancing traditional Mexican dances, asking for tips. Again: I'm sure this it what many people expect from a tour like this and I do too, but I still find the exploitation of people so sad.. And even the most enthusiastic tourists on our tour were very unhappy with the gross food that was served.

After lunch, it was finally time for Chichen Itza. And this, I must say, was an amazing experience! Not thanks to The Cancun Bay tours - our bus guide finally left us alone for a while - but thanks to the very talented guide Wilbert who worked at Chichen Itza. Please, see my separate review of him and this very interesting sight! If it wouln't have been for Wilbert, our entire day would have been ruined, but again: Unfortunately for The Cancun Bay tours, he's not one of their representatives.

We were finished at Chichen Itza about 5pm and then we thought it was time to go home. We hadn't been told anything else and we started to look forward to getting off the horrible bus and have some dinner. But no.. All of the sudden we were going to make another stop in a town for 20 minutes that our bus guide only could introduce to us as a "fusion" between Mayan culture and colonial style. I'm sure it's a very interesting place, but if you aren't getting any more info than that, you very soon question why you are forced to get off the bus to go and stare at the windows of Domino's pizza without having any time to buy some food..? By now, we were so hungry (we hadn't had any food since lunch) and our spirits very low.

We were back in Playa del Carmen at 9pm.. Hungry, tired and feeling like we had wasted one of the precious days of our holiday. If we only would have gone to Chichen Itza, we would easily have made it back in town before 5pm. Our advice, if you don't feel like wasting 10 hours on listening to a terrible bus guide who can't tell you anything relevant and only takes you to crappy places, is to arrange a smaller tour together with a professional guide, or even take a cab on your own to Chichen Itza. It will perhaps cost you a little more (considering our expensive tickets, not much though), but it will give you so much more value for money.

Take our advice and stay away from this company!

1 Thank Sessan82
CancunBay, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Cancun Bay Tours, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
First of all we wanted to apologize for the bad experience you had with us on your vacation.

Chichen Itza, as you know is a tourist attraction that receives thousands of hits a day, and that everyone who visits the peninsula of yucatan want to know this place. Inevitably, this makes it difficult to visit both archaeological area as its surroundings without being surrounded by more people.

I regret that in the bus will not find the environment you were looking for, but trust us that we do everything possible to please everyone.

I also wanted to apologize on behalf of Cancun bay and you're right when it comes to food and this day we have changed Restaurant

I also wanted to clarify that the cenote you visited has a constant flow of clean water since it is an underground river. I regret that at the time of the sale you were told that you would have a snorkel equipment available in this place never are. Try to find out who sold the tour for this to not happen again.

We invite you if you keep on the Riviera Maya you contact us in order to overcome this disadvantage and invite any other tour you want to do. Otherwise, we encourage you to contact us if you come back to give you the opportunity to live a great experience with us

attentively
Cancun Bay
Melbourne, Florida, United States
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Chichen Itza Tour with Raoul and driver Benjamin”
Reviewed April 10, 2013

We went on the Chichen Itza tour through Cancun Bay. What a great experience. They made it easy for our hotel pick up and drop off.. The tour made several stops before Chichen Itza. We stopped at Centones; a cave that has a natural oculus with the sun pouring down...awesome. Everything about the tour was great. The thing that made the tour so much more special and informative was Raoul our guide. He established a wonderful rapport with every one right away. We had folks from 9 countries on the tour and it was wonderful how he brought every one together.
His knowledge and passion for the various historical sites was marvelous. I have been on many tours in different countries, but Raoul was by far the best. Thank you Raoul for making a childhood dream of visiting Chichen Itza so special.
Our bus driver Benjamin was superb. He was very kind, gregarious and skillful-thank you.

Fribourg, Suisse
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 55 helpful votes
“Never seen such a bad organization”
Reviewed March 11, 2013

I booked a Deluxe tour to Chichen Itza through our travel agent representative. Unfortunately the tour was organised by Cancun Bay.
We went to the Starbucks where the pick up was supposed to be. We waited 50 minutes, we saw a couple of bus from other organisations but not the one from Cancun Bay. We called and were told that they hadbeen waiting for us and even called our names. How is it possible? We were there. They just forgot to pick us up. After a few discussions we were told to come back the next day.
The next day, the pick up was ok. We were brought to a Shopping mall where we had to go out of the bus and wait in line for the check in with people going to other Cancun Bay tours. . It was not organized. Some people were not in the list, the staff had to call the office to sort out. It took time. The staff was shouting, we had the impression to be treated like small children.
30 minutes later, we boarded a bus. No water in the toilets, some seats were broken and the Air-con was very cold. The guide said he could not stop the air conditionned because the bus was old and if he stops it, it may not start up again when we will need it. When we booked we were told that the bus would be a luxury coach.
The first stop was Valladoilid. No details were given. We stopped there 10 minutes just the time to allow a person from Cancun bay to take a picture of each of us. Later during the day, we had the possiblity to buy a small bottle of Mayan liquor with our picture on it for 20$. What a joke!
The next stop was supposed to by a Mayan village where we could see the real Mayan Handcraft. It was only a shop. Nothing else to see. We stayed there for 1 hour.
We then continued our road to the lunch which was a big restaurant with many tourists. The buffet was ok, but as there was many people we had to wait more than 10 minutes. When you have a lunch break of ony 45 minutes, waiting more than 10 minutes is long. We didn't have time to take some sweets or fruits after lunch as we would have needed to queue again. The drinks were included but the tip not. The waiter brought the drink and reminded us to give the tip. He almost opened my wallet...
At 2.45 pm, finally, we arrived at Chichen Itza (we left at 7.30...)! Our guide promised us to have 2 guides for our group. As the organization was not good, there was no guide. The visit was made with the guide who was with us for the full day. It was a bilingual visit not really easy to follow. Once sentence was in Spanish, and one in English. It was not very enjoyable. Also the guide was not really good. He explained very basic things and when we asked questions, he didn't know the answers.
We then left Chichen Itza and went to see a Cenote. It was nice but it was already 6.00 pm and we all wanted to go back.
Once again, lack of organisation. The guide didn't know where to bring the people. We had to stop a couple of times, waiting for other bus.
We finally arrived at the hotel at 9.45pm. It was a very long day and we stayed only 1 hour 45 at Chichen Itza. The rest was only bad organisation and stops at very low quality tourists shops.

Visited February 2013
1 Thank travelfly79
We apologize for having had a bad experience with us and we invite you if you return to the Riviera Maya you contact us and we can offer some other service for free.

You're right about the collection, in fact we have already changed the logistics and the collection always do in hotels. Also, thanks to your complaints and suggestions we have changed the restaurant we use in Chichen Itza, we expect the new more enjoyable. I do not know what could have happened during the visit to Chichen Itza, but is usually done with two guides per bus, 25 people in each group.

Again we apologize and thank you for your comment that helps us improve.

Attentively
Cancun Bay
Elk Grove Village, Illinois
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“The guides were excellents!!!”
Reviewed March 6, 2013

My family and I visited Chichen Itza in february. We were soo lucky to have 2(two) travel guides - Jose and Augustin who presented us the places and their history in a professional manner. We heard a lot of interesting information about visited places. We recommend to book travels with Cancun Bay.

Visited February 2013