“Great Stay”

Ranked #94 of 213 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Great Stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2014

Champagne right when we walked in the door! Had are room ready in no time, the room was clean, smelled nice, it's perfect for a week long stay. Food was good, I would suggest the Italian restaurant at least twice during your stay, but the buffet is great too. Staff is very friendly and is always smiling. Avoid the sales pitch for a time share when you first get in the hotel. Jungle type atmosphere in the center of the hotel is really nice to walk through every day. Best of all the beach is perfect. Two thumbs up!

Room Tip: I would suggest a top floor room.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Tovsen
ReefPlayacarResort, Director of Sales at The Reef Playacar, responded to this review, April 24, 2014
Dear Guests,

Thank you for this amazing review about your last vacation here with us in Playa, Mexico.

It is always great to hear and really appreciated if guests enjoyed their stay and share it with others.

We are really happy to read that you were satisfied about the room, the grounds, the food and the staff. This is a great compliment to us.

We really hope that you are planning to come back, if you do so please make sure to contact us to make sure you get the repetitive guests benefits.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (463)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Salt Lake City, Utah
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2014

We had high expectations for this hotel because all the online pictures looked so good. We were not disappointed. It was Beautiful.

It is an older hotel, but very well maintained. The grounds are very impressive. The rooms overlook a beautiful jungle.

ALL the staff were awesome. We couldn't have asked for any nicer people.

The food is good. About what you would expect from this price of hotel. There are two restaurants, a buffet and a snack bar. But don't miss the coconut ice cream in the ice cream parlor, to die for!!

A little about Playacar, if you have not been there. It is a beautiful community of hotels, villas and golf courses that is connected to Playa Del Carmen. It is about a 10 minute walk from our hotel into town along beautiful cobblestone roads. It is VERY safe. The guards will only let people staying in the community into Playacar. So even when I walked back to the hotel alone at 2 Am, I felt very safe.

If anybody is a scuba diver, you have to dive the Cenotes. Holy hell, it was the most amazing thing ever. You go into the jungle to little "ponds" that you dive into. ("The Pit" is 130 feet deep) Once you get under water, you swim through underwater caves that are in-describable. I am claustrophobic, but everything was so amazing that I was in awe and didn't even think about being afraid. I did great on a 2 tank dive. I will skip the ocean from now on and do Cenote dives every time we go to Playa. (Google "Cenote diving", you will want to dive them, guaranteed!!)

One thing about Playa is that Americans are the minority. Most of the travelers are European. But they were all very nice and we had a great time meeting and playing with them.

I have been to Cancun twice the past few years, YUCK. Playa is 100 times better than Cancun!

Overall, this hotel is a great choice for the money. We will definitely go back!!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Mike F
Dear Guests,

Thank you very much for this great and really long review, we really appreciate your time and effort in writing it down.

We are always glad to hear when guests enjoy their vacation and when the staff, the grounds and food underline this experience in a positive way.

It is also great to hear that you felt safe around the hotel in Playacar and that you enjoyed your excursions, like the diving in the cenotes.

You mention that you want to come back and we would be really happy to welcome you here again for another visit.

Please contact us in advance so we can set up the repetitive client benefits for you.
Amherst, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2014

We arrived March 27th -April 3rd, we were a group of 6, and we all had a fabulous time.
The rooms were spacious, clean, and comfortable. Food is a great variety food at the buffet, snack bar, evening dinner. The location is in walking distance of 5th Ave. we all when down a number of times. I found the people on the resort and off the resort were wonderful. The only bad time we experienced was organizing a fishing trip with a guy on the beach who had no connect to the resort. Book all excursions with your travel rep or with the resort. We spend most of our time enjoying the warmth of the sun and sand on the resort. Very relaxing. Each afternoon we would make our way to Nico's (it's a must to upgrade) we had the best times at Nico's every day and evenings. It was our meeting place before and after supper. My favourite bartender is by far David he always made us feel welcome. I miss you smile David. I found that there were so many resort workers who were very friendly and always ready to help. A couple other young guys who stood out are Willie & Freddie. Miss you all. I hope I can return again. I had the best time. Thanks to everyone at The Reef Playacar. Until we met again

Room Tip: Wake early to reserve a location on beach or pool side. It very hot and shade is needed. ENJOY!!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Kathy0160
ReefPlayacarResort, Director of Sales at The Reef Playacar, responded to this review, April 22, 2014
Dear guests,

Taking the time to write this review is really appreciated by us and other future guests. It is always great to read different impressions.

You gave a lot of compliments to certain staff members and to certain locations like Nicos bar. All this will be carried on to the right persons.

Moreover it is great to hear that you were satisfied about the rooms, the food and the staff in general as well.

We also appreciate that you mention the unfortunate experience with buying a tour outside the hotel. We do not want to say that everyone here is corrupt or wrong, but indeed it is safer to book through the travel agency at the hotel and your review shows that we do not only say this because we want to make the money, but we know several cases of guests that booked outside the hotel and experiences unpleasant surprises.

We are really hope to see you here with us again and at that time as a repetitive guests.

Hoping to see you soon.
Quispamsis, New Brunswick
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2014 via mobile

We had a wonderful time at the reef the week of March 9th. As always the surroundings were wonderful and it goes without saying the people are fantastic. I have to thank Humberto whom year after year makes our time fantastic with his awesome drinks at the swim up bar and going out of his way to make us feel welcome.
At the lobby bar Mario would always give us a warm welcome and chat about the days events. we have booked the VIP room all three years and that is the way to go. From the upgraded food and drinks to the awesome rooms. From check in to check out we felt well cared for.
The only comments I would make to help improve things would be to put the cans of beer back in the cooler at the swim up bar and put more top shelf liquor there. Only having it at NICO's bar defeats the purpose of VIP. NICO's is nice but the swim up bar is where its at in the afternoon.
oh we also loved the Mexican grill. We ate there almost every night. Fernando did a fantastic job greeting us warmly and the food was delicious.
My only disappointment is that we decided to return to Mexico in may and the resort is all booked up. But that is also its biggest charm, it's small size along with its proximity to the center of playa del Carmen.
So we will be off to Cancun in may but we will be back to the reef next year.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank TravellinProp
ReefPlayacarResort, Director of Sales at The Reef Playacar, responded to this review, April 18, 2014
Dear Guests,

´thank you for taking the time and writing this amazing review about our hotel and your stay here is March. We are happy to hear that you came back for the third time already and of course we hope to see you more often.

That the hotel was all booked when you were planning to come again is unfortunate to hear for you, but please make sure to come back another time. I am sure Humberto would love to mix drinks for you again and by then we maybe considered you improvement point.

It is great to hear that the Mexican restaurant was very satisfying and that the location and grounds of the hotel are appreciated by you. Moreover you also mentioned Mario and Fernando by name, we will make sure they receive your compliment about their service.

Please come and see us again for the 4th time.
Frederick, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2014

I traveled to Reef Playacar for the 2nd time in a year. This time, I was with my mom, 17-month-old daughter and 2 best friends. I have to say that the first visit was better hotel-wise but staff-wise it was just as wonderful as my first visit last year. As always, Willy greeted us with his great smile, and many of the staff recognized my mom and daughter from last year. Paulino, Roxana and Carlos (the guy who does the professional photos onsite) recognized us from last year, and we met some great newer staff like Mario and Lucia.
We had 2 rooms and we were not entirely pleased with them, not for the location but rather because there were ants (more than just a few here and there) and beetles spotted in both rooms. I realize we're in a jungle setting so that really didn't ruin anything for my mom and me, but my friends were not too happy, especially since we spent a few nights in a different hotel that also had a jungle setting and we didn't encounter any little visitors like that. We also encountered a scorpion on the pathway at night going back to our rooms. I had never even heard of them being in Playa. That was interesting for me but luckily my daughter wasn't with us at that time (she might have spotted it sooner and tried to play with it).
All in all, this was a great trip because the staff make it a great place and you really can't beat the beach location and the price is really good and it's a smaller AI resort which I really like. In other, bigger AI places, you're just another face and nobody remembers you. I'll return here.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Gina M
Dear Guests,

Thank you for taking the time at home after your vacation with us and putting your experience in words. We and future guests appreciate it.

It is always great to hear when guests return to our hotel and happily you are planning on returning again. Furthermore you mentioned a few staff members and we will make sure they get acknowledged about your review and it is great to hear that also the staff in general left a good impression.

Concerning the ants and the scorpion, indeed we have these type of animals down here due to the fact that our hotel is located within a small forest ground in a tropical climate. We count with a special fumigation program to control the insects around.
Unfortunately it is not possible for us to avoid them a 100 percent. If somebody drops food, it only takes 2 minutes for them to get there.

Nevertheless we are very sorry about this situation and if something like would happen again, we kindly ask our future guests to please let the front desk know directly, so we can try to solve the problem immediately.

We look forward to welcoming you again.
Stockdale, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2014

My husband and I stayed at The Reef Playacar for our honeymoon and received excellent service. Everyone was very friendly and helpful. They even knew us by name. The only complaint that we would have is that the beds were a little too firm for our liking but that is just personal preference. We loved the property and the staff and plan to return for our anniversary next year!!

Room Tip: We stayed in the premier room with jacuzzi and it was excellent. It had 2 balconies with gorgeous vi...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Dana S
Dear Guests,

We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your special time here with us and it is really appreciated that you share this experience with us and other guests.

Indeed the staff is a great resource of our hotel and they are very enthusiastic and hard working to make a great experience for all guests. Furthermore thank you for the compliment about the grounds.

As you mentioned, the situation with the beds is always hard, because you can never meet everyone’s expectations. We still hope that you had a good night sleep.

Please let us know when you plan to return, so we can also sign you up for the repetitive guests program.
East Meadow, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2014

The wife and I took a chance at this place last year and I must say, it was fantastic! So fantastic we came back again with another couple this year. We ALL loved it.

The staff was friendly, professional and courteous and we are already looking to book next year, with more couples. Some of the noteworthy friendly faces - Gilberto, David and Zouhaila from Nico's made sure our time there was happy and memorable (I don't think I ever saw the bottom of a glass!). There are so many other friendly faces, I feel bad I don't remember them but trust me, they all go above and beyond!

The food was more than you would expect from an all inclusive and the overall vibe of the place is excellent. Our room(s) were good (considering we didn't spend much time in them at all) and were clean and promptly ready for us when we arrived.

I highly recommend The Reef Playacar and know we will be enjoying our yearly vacations there for many years to come!

Room Tip: Most of the rooms have two double beds. It wasn't that big a deal for us and it was definitely n...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Billy V
Dear Guests,

We are happy to hear that you returned to the Reef for your second stay and that you shared this experience with friends of yours. We are happy you shared this experience with us.

It is so appreciated to hear all these compliments about the food, the staff, the rooms and the grounds. Thank you for this. Moreover you mentioned some specific staff members and we will make sure they see this review of yours.

We really hope that you will return for your third stay with us, if you do so please inform us beforehand so we can arrange the special amenities for you.

Looking forward to see you again.