We stayed at the Reef Feb 8th-15th with 20-something family members and friends of all ages for our daughter’s wedding. We were very pleased with our stay, especially the wedding. Arturo, the wedding planner, had been corresponding with me for several months prior. It is a bit worrisome planning such an important day so many miles from home, never even having seen the resort before except for in pictures, but our worries were quickly put to rest. It could not have been more perfect! The beautiful gazebo, the mariachi band, food, DJ complete with light-up dance floor, the service. The entire night was spent on the beach and we lucked out with the weather. Just a wonderful night!
I have stayed at several other resorts in the Riviera Maya area and what stood out for us at the Reef was the friendliness and great service of the staff. Everyone was constantly working so hard. The 2 restaurants we felt were understaffed which led to very long dinners but the few waiters that did work there worked very hard. They just need more staff! I wish I could remember more names but 2 waiters who stood out to us were Paulino in the buffet and Gonzalo, who seemed to be working everywhere. The food was great. We especially loved the breakfast buffet and the Botticelli restaurant. The latter had a great antipasto salad bar. No reservations needed for the restaurants and we never waited.
All the grounds were kept very clean. The beach was just beautiful! They could use more umbrellas for shade, but otherwise wonderful. We loved the “rainforest” atmosphere of the guest rooms area. The rooms were a bit worn but it looks like they may be starting to renovate.
We loved the smallness of the resort, the close proximity to town, the ability to walk to a store if needed (a lot of the resorts in the Riviera Maya are quite isolated). One thing we did want to point out is it is NOT handicap friendly. There are a lot of stairs to some areas and not ramps to everything which could be difficult for some. My elderly mother did have some issues with this.
We would definitely stay at the Reef again. Miss it already!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This boutique style all-inclusive resort is located on a beautiful white sandy beach just steps away from the famous 5th Avenue in Playa del Carmen, Riviera Maya, Mexico. The hotel offers all food and domestic drinks, 1 buffet restaurant, 2 a la carte restaurants, Italian & Gourmet($), snack bar, ice cream parlor, various bars including a swim up bar, 2 pools, kids club, daily activities & nightly entertainment. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, BookIt.com, Booking.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Hotels.com, Hotwire, HotelsforEveryone, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and TripOnline SA so you can book your The Reef Playacar reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Reef Playacar Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Reef Club Playacar
- Reef Playacar Mexico
- Reef Playacar Playa Del Carmen
- The Reef Playacar Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico