We stayed here from 10/06/13 to 10/11/13. We would definitely come back again and we are planning our next trip. We got an awesome deal through Living Social for 6 days/5 nights and our whole group bought one. 18 people in all.
13 of us arrived at the airport at 8 in the morning. The check in process couldn't have been easier. Our rooms wouldn't be ready until 1 but we were able to change in the restroom, get our bands and go. First stop was the buffet. Great food with awesome staff there. Then on to the beautiful beach about 150 feet from the restaurant. It was great to eat breakfast and look out onto the ocean while enjoying your food.
1. Great beach right in front of the hotel. Crystal blue waters. One of the best beaches I have seen in the Caribbean.
2. Great staff in the Chula Vista buffet. Paublino was always smiling and in such a good mood that you couldn't help but smile back. The rest of the staff there was great too. Loved being able to have Arroz con Leche for breakfast. (along with pan dulce) We never tried the specialty restaurants.
3. Pool area was great and always warm. Kids never wanted to leave. Swim up bar was nice.
4. Claudia with the kids activities was superb. She was a Godsend and so patient with the kids. They actually ditched us to go with her!!! That never happens. :)
5. Rooms and common areas were cleaned daily.
6. Staff around the hotel was friendly.
7. The grounds were beautiful and so relaxing.
8. Close to 5th Avenue - We walked along the beach once and walked through town the next time. (about 15 minutes away)
1. Towel distribution was a joke. You are issued a card that you turn in for a towel every morning. If you lose the towel or the card you will be charged $35.00 (USD) One of our towels was stolen while we were on the beach. When we mentioned it to the towel booth their response was "it is your responsibility to watch the towel at all times". (Really? I could of purchase then 4 nicer towels from Costco and mailed them to them for less) We had other towels removed from our room by the maids without having a card left in its place.
2. Young man who worked at the towel booth was arrogant and rude. Several of us had negative experiences with him. Wish I would of been level headed enough to remember his name. The ladies that worked there were nice and easy to deal with. In the end the rectified the whole towel issue for us but not without us first experiencing the stress of constantly watching them like valuables.
3. Beds were a little hard for me but I am a side sleeper.
4. Supplies in the bar seemed a little low on Thursday. From what I understand they are restocked one time a week. Maybe it's just a low season thing.
5. Front desk staff seemed to be not as helpful during the daytime (every day but our check in day) but if you went to them in the early evening it was like dealing with new people.
I would definitely go back to the Reef. The service was spectacular which made up for the few things that were not. The beach was great. The food was good and it was nice to have everything ready for us. It was worth every penny we paid and then some!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This boutique style all-inclusive resort is located on a beautiful white sandy beach just steps away from the famous 5th Avenue in Playa del Carmen, Riviera Maya, Mexico. The hotel offers all food and domestic drinks, 1 buffet restaurant, 2 a la carte restaurants, Italian & Gourmet($), snack bar, ice cream parlor, various bars including a swim up bar, 2 pools, kids club, daily activities & nightly entertainment. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, BookIt.com, Booking.com, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Priceline, Despegar.com, Travelocity and Odigeo so you can book your The Reef Playacar reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Reef Playacar Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Reef Club Playacar
- Reef Playacar Mexico
- Reef Playacar Playa Del Carmen
- The Reef Playacar Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico