Stayed at the "Reef" playcar in March
Wasn't sure what to expect from reading all the reviews before going, they were very mixed.
This was a very clean resort with very hard working, happy staff members. I stayed next door at the "Riu" in Dec 2012 which is rated 5* and found the service and the staff to be nowhere as friendly and accommodating as the staff at the "Reef"
The Reef is a smaller resort, very cozy, the room were average. We stayed in a renovated room close to the pool. Loved our room location as we were close to everything, only downfall was that this room had 2 double beds instead of king size, they seem to be very short on rooms with king size beds. Room had a nice glass shower, beds were a little hard, but had the best linens and pillows, we had a digital safe free with our upgraded premium wristbands. It was nice to have the upgraded wristbands as it allowed us to use "Nico's" this is where the heated hot tub was and the better drinks and such a nice place to relax, with comfy cushioned chairs and beds, we spent a lot of time there.
Food was not the greatest. Breakfast was the best by far, always had fresh fruit, yogurt, fresh cooked eggs at the egg station, juices were good
Lunch & Dinner
Not much variety, food always seemed like it had been cooked awhile before it was served, never hot, even when waiting for a fresh tray of food, came out luke warm.
Our last evening we went to the Italian ala cart. It was ok, nothing special,they do have a section in this menu that you have to pay extra for, also there is an extra charge for certain desserts. That I don't understand!
I'm happy that we were close enough to Playa del Carmen that we could walk 10-15min and we were on 5th Ave. The restaurants in town are wonderful. "Blue Lobster" has the freshest seafood.
Love the atmosphere in Playa, very safe, music, restaurants galore, shopping
The "Reef" overall was a nice place to stay, I would say that the 31/2- 4 star rating that it gets is about right, I would say more towards 4* as the staff go above and beyond the call of duty.
Playa beach in one word. "Spectacular"
The timeshare people are a pain, we were approched on several occasions, mostly when we were in the lobby, leaving the resort to go into town, or waiting to go on an excursion. They are very, very smooth talkers, and before you know it your conversation is leading towards the timeshares. Be aware of this, if you are a strong person you will say no thanks and walk away, the weak people get talked into something they don't want!!!
I would return to the Reef again. You can't beat the beach and the location
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This boutique style all-inclusive resort is located on a beautiful white sandy beach just steps away from the famous 5th Avenue in Playa del Carmen, Riviera Maya, Mexico. The hotel offers all food and domestic drinks, 1 buffet restaurant, 2 a la carte restaurants, Italian & Gourmet($), snack bar, ice cream parlor, various bars including a swim up bar, 2 pools, kids club, daily activities & nightly entertainment. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, BookIt.com, Travelocity, Booking.com, Hotwire, Orbitz, Hotels.com, HotelsforEveryone, Cancelon, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and TripOnline SA so you can book your The Reef Playacar reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Reef Playacar Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Reef Club Playacar
- Reef Playacar Mexico
- Reef Playacar Playa Del Carmen
- The Reef Playacar Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico