“great vacation”

GreenLeadersGold level
Mifflinburg, Pennsylvania
“great vacation”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2010

First off i will say overall was an excellent vacation! Compared to punta cana, mexico is the top of my list. my family of 7. kids 6-16, mom, husband, and myself stayed for 6 nights. On arrival of tucan we were greeted with refreshments. check in was smooth and our room was ready for us. We stayed in building 13. One room faced jungle and other across the hall facing the other resort. my mom wanted the jungle view which im glad she did cause for some reason all monkeys were on our side facing other resort! 3 of the days we viewed the monkeys walk right up on our balcony while we sat their, they definitely are not afraid of humans although if u tried to approach them they ran off.
Food was good,beds hard, and yes no pool chairs after 9am. kids loved the kids show they had every night. The walk through jungle is what makes this resort stand out.
Two days we left to shop at 5th ave! that's the place to do it. I was Leary of leaving the resort with kids not sure how safe it was , but definitely safe an awesome shopping no worries there. We did 3 excursions. 4 wheeler, snorkeling and ruins. All good although last day we were their we did the ruins and it rained all day which didn't make for good sight seeing.
There is nothing bad to say about the resort the people that do should not vacation if they want to be picky! we had minor things not nothing to say our vacation was ruined.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,015)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2010

We stayed at Iberostar Tucan from june 12 till June 19. My boyfriend and I stayed at the ocean front room. The room was beautiful, spacious, clean, had nice walk in shower and very comfortable bed. The beach was to dream for, white sand, turquoise water and plenty of things to do! We were quite impressed by Mexican, Japanese and Italian restaurants at the property. The food was delicious and service was great. The hotel itself is situated in the natural surroundings. Everything around you is pleasant to the eye: all sorts of trees, flowers, waterfall with swans, flamingos. You can even see monkeys on the roofs and the trees. Next time I will take my 5yo daughter.
During our trip we went to Chichen Itza which is 2.5 hour drive from the hotel to see Mayan pyrimids. It's a nice informative tour. The best thing about it was visiting a sinkhole. It was a relief from a hot day, such a mystical place with deep blue water and greenery all around.. We swam and jumped in there several times. We also went to Xcaret park. I enjoyed swimming with dolphins and then my boyfriend and I did snuba. Snuba was the best experience for me since I've never done it. It's like scuba but you are breathing through a hose attached to the air mattress above you. You don't need a license and you go as deep as 25 feet. We saw all kinds of fish, sea turtle, and beracudas. One of the last trips we took was catamaran excursion with lobster lunch and snorkeling. It was fun. We had lobster and steak for lunch. One thing to remember don't put sunblock on your face before snorkeling. i've never snorkeled in my life so I didn't know that and my mask leaked entire time. The reef was beautiful. It's worth going!
One thing to improve at the bar is Margarita mix. Tequila is good but mix ruins everything. We would enjoy bar atmosphere more if there would be more music like a live band. The night entertainment was great, all the performances were fun to watch.
I have to say Tucan is not a party place it's more family oriented. If you like to party there are all kinds of great bars in Playa Del Carmen, which is very close by taxi. A lot of American music just like here...We did find a local salsa club, something different.
Last day we went to the spa and received the most relaxing massage for $75. It was worth it. Unfortunately their steam room was not working properly and I wish they found a better place closer to the ocean for the spa and not near the entrance to the hotel.

I would rdefinetely recommend this hotel to anyone. What a pleasant experience!
Our vacation was one of those perfect vacations you wish for. We are definetely going to come back there!

3 Thank bcbg76
New Hampshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2010

We had a very nice time at the Tucan. We had an oceanfront suite and I loved the view and the proximity to the pool/beach/food, etc. We loved walking through the jungle path to go to dinner each night and the open flow of the resort and restaurants was really wonderful.
The food was good and we enjoyed the Japanese steakhouse the best. The only thing that was concerning to me was the rough current of the ocean. We traveled with our 2.5 year old son and the ocean was very rough and I even had a hard time getting out of the ocean with him in my arms.
If you are a family with young children and you like being on the beach (rather than the pool) then this may not be the best place for you.
The pool is nice and there is a fine kiddie pool- but we traveled to Mexico to be on the ocean, not by the pool, so I would try to find a resort on an inlet with calmer water.

Also, there were very small ants in our room- and being with a young child, all of our stuff has crumbs (stroller, diaper bag, etc) so we had a problem with the ants.

Other than the water and the ants, we had an excellent time.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank LoritheMum
Philadelphia, PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2010

This had to be the best hotel I've stayed at so far. The service was unbeatable, they did whatever they could to make our stay enjoyable and they all had the best attitudes. The food was great, both at the buffets and at the restaurants. The beach was nice and I enjoyed sitting at the bars and listening to the music. They also had shows each nice that were enjoyable. I would definitely stay here again and would encourage others to go here. The all inclusive covered everything. The only money I spent was to go on a tour to Chichen Itza (Mayan Pyramid).

The weather wasn't the greatest (it rained the first two days I was there) and it was hot. Next time I will go in Januaray or February.

Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank neddyflanders
Mississauga, Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2010

My husband & I vacationed at the Iberostar Tucan Resort the week of June 17th 2010 to June 24th 2010 on an all inclusive vacation.

In short the resort was fantastic. It did not disappoint. The grounds were beautiful, the food great, the beach was beautiful, & the hotel itself was nice and clean. We would definitely return to this resort. Great place for families and couples. There were a lot of young 20 something’s as well but this could have just been because of the time of year….school’s just out. Our only real complaint was that it was very crowed (we had overheard that were actually overbooked) so finding an umbrella or good seat at the show was impossible.

For those who are interested the long detailed version of my review follows.

GETTING THERE: We had missed our flight & arrived 1 day later so we did not get to the resort with our included tour bus. We did take a cab the next day which ended up costing us $60.00 US from the Cancun airport to the resort. That was the cheapest price we could find after haggling with a few drivers who weren’t affiliated with the airport. For those of you traveling on your own as we did, beware of the endless line our people selling time shares at the airport.

CHECK IN: As I said before we didn’t check in with the rest of the group that would have been on our first scheduled flight so I can’t say how that would have went. Checking in on our own was no problem. We couldn’t get the building we requested because they were overbooked (the staff did try) Most of the staff members at the reception desk spoke fluent English which made it easy.

RESORT & GROUNDS: The buildings themselves were very clean (including public bathrooms) & well kept. Pretty standard looking inside (the grounds were so nice we didn’t really care what the inside looked like anyway) the grounds were stunning. The grounds around the buildings were well groomed. The paths leading to the beach were like walking through a jungle or a zoo exhibit. There were cages with exotic birds as well as monkeys, lizards, & other types of birds roaming free everywhere! The Tucan side was designed to look like ancient Mayan ruins & looked even prettier when it was lit up at night. The Quetzal side had an amazing waterfall around the buffet restaurant where we had breakfast every morning just to sit and look at it. Although we weren’t ever able to get a good seat in the theatre room it was huge, and probably more than sufficient the majority of the year. The main pool was huge. There was also a pool set up with basketball nets for sports games & a kids wading pool. All were kept clean as were the surrounding areas & loungers. There was an adult’s only pool with a swim up bar that we didn’t use. It looked pretty dirty & old surprisingly. And when you never see anyone come out to use the bathroom…..hmmmmm????????
* One note about the paths to the beach: They are made of natural stone & are not level, so take care when walking through them especially at night.

ROOM: Standard room. Very clean. The beds were a little hard but not too bad. Always hot water. There is an iron/ironing board, a mini bar that is stocked every other day, & a hair dryer. There is a safe in every room that is free to use. The balcony had a drying rack.

FOOD: The breakfast buffet was always good. There was just about every breakfast item you could think of every day. The snack bar on the beach was really good. There was grill located just outside where you could get freshly made hamburgers & hot digs etc. every day. There was always a good selection of food. There was also a self serve ice cream machine at the grill as well as another vender who would serve ice cream cones beside the pool daily. We went to the lunch buffet one day & we found it wasn’t really worth leaving the beach and changing to eat there. The food was good but we were happy enough with the snack bar selection. The dinner buffet was always good with a pretty big selection. We only ate at the dinner buffet a couple of times though. Overall I only had a couple of things I didn’t like (one being a paella dish filled with chicken bones) We went to 2 a la carte restaurants…None of them were really decorated nicely. The steak house was really good, we went twice. We went to the tropical seafood restaurant once. We didn’t like this one at all. We couldn’t go to the Japanese restaurant which looked liked it was decorated the nicest because my husband didn’t have any pants with him (they do offer loners) we ordered room service twice which is open until 11… good selection/food for room service.

DRINKS: The drinks were great. My husband died over the apple juice of all things. The blender drinks were really good & slushy like they’re supposed to be. The coffee, red house wine and juices were all good. Some of the bars served premium liquor as well.

STAFF: Overall the staff was generally friendly. The service was always good (Jaime at the tropical was outstanding) the wait staff were a little slow at times, but considering how busy the hotel was that was to be expected.

GUESTS: Mostly Americans. There was definitely a mix of age groups. Lots of families and large groups travelling together. Overall everyone was very friendly.

BEACH: The beach was huge & really pretty. The sand was a tiny bit coarse because of the bits of shell in it but still nice. The water was an amazing color but not really clear due to the time of year. There was lots of little bits of seaweed when you first walked in the water the first few feet (also due to the time of year)There was only one resort beside the Iberostar on the Tucan side so you could walk down the beach for about 20 minutes and have the entire area pretty much to yourself. The water was calm all but 1 day, so it was good for young kids (bring floats) The resort did offer umbrellas on the beach as well as the huts that were set up but we were never able to get one! There is a life guard on duty at all times. You also have the use of kayaks & paddle boats. You can get the staff to take you out on a Catamaran or parasailing as well as rent the snorkel gear. The beach is all sand. There is no reef, so no snorkeling. They do offer snorkel tours and diving tours for a fee.

ENTERTAINMENT: The nightly shows were really good. There was no lip syncing & the band was live. The props were impressive. Worth seeing the shows. There is also a mini disco for the kids before the show. There were always activities going on around the pool and on the beach. The staff did an excellent job at keeping activities going throughout the day so there was always something to do. There was also a kids club for small children as well as a craft table set up daily where you could purchase a ceramic piece to paint & they would glaze it for you. Not sure what the cost was for this though.

CHECK OUT: Check out time is 12:00. You can pay $10.00 US per hour to keep your room longer depending on availability. We weren’t able to keep our room because they were overbooked & needed the time in between the next check in time to clean.

EXTRAS & TIPS: The resort itself is situated inside a gated community, it’s is very safe area if you want to leave the resort grounds & check things out (they have bikes you can take out until 3pm) Depending on your all inclusive package you get up to 4 a la carte reservations. We received a complimentary bottle of Tequila in our room. No robes, slippers, or amenities, just the basic soaps & things. You will receive 30 minutes of internet usage per room. A cab ride to & from Playa Del Carmen (about a 3 minute drive) will cost you $5.00. A rental car in Playa Del Carmen will cost you about $45.00 (includes tax & basic coverage) we used Hertz & Explora. The Hertz cars are better but Explora will accept a cash deposit rather than credit card should you forget to bring one. Just outside the resort you will find a small market area where you can do some shopping. Most prices compared with the hotel gift shop & Playa Del Carmen shops. As always bring you sunscreen, it’s very expensive to buy there.

EXCURSIONS-COZUMEL: We went to Cozumel twice. If you rent your car on the mainland in Playa Del Carmen you’ll get a cheaper rate. The ferry cost is about $47.00 US round trip for 2 people. Once you are in Cozumel you can use the Iberostar there until 6 pm (food etc. still free) Just go to the front desk when you get there & they’ll give you a bracelet. It’s not as good as the Tucan resort, & has a small selection of food, but still nice. We snorkeled on our own the first day around a dock in front of a beach club that (not sure of the name) directly across from the Fiesta Americana hotel. That was pretty good if you’ve never done it before. Not a lot of coral but lots of little fish will come (especially if you feed them) There wasn’t any good snorkeling at the Iberostar here either.

In Cozumel we went on the MYSTIC SNORKEL TOUR given by Roswitha Flurry. She takes you to 3 or different reefs & the tour lasts about 41/2 hours (we had prebooked this with Rosie before we left home. The tour cost us $70.00 each & was well worth it. She only takes out a small group of people so it’s no crowded & you get a lot of time to swim around while Rosie points out the different fish she finds & any interesting coral. She’s a lot of fun! For anyone who really enjoys or would like to try snorkeling I recommend her tour. She was really good with the other people on the tour who were new to snorkeling. There wasn’t an abundance of fish but we were still happy with what we did see. The tour also provides fresh fruit & beverages.

PLAYA DEL CARMEN: This is a really nice tourist area to visit. Only a 3 minute cab ride ($5.00 US) it’s nicer at night because everything is lit up. There were hundreds of stores to shop in or just look around. The beer is cheap just about everywhere. We ate a restaurant called Ula Gula. They have a nice top floor overlooking the street. We just had a couple of drinks & some quesadillas that were really good. The only down side to Playa Del Carmen was that the locals at the shops were relentless & a lot of items were pretty pricey (most prices were firm)

Overall it was one of the best resorts we have stayed at so far. We would go back again without a doubt.

7 Thank 1vacationer
CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2010

We just got home from Tucan / Quetzal. This is our second stay at this resort and our fourth to Mexico.

FOOD: EXCELLENT, we had on problems at the restaurants or the buffet. I am a picky eater with food allergies and found lots of food to eat. The reservation restaurants we went to: Steak House, Tropical, Japanese, were wonderful and no complaints what so ever. The shrimp dinner at the Tropical is to die for.

ROOMS: After arriving at reception at 6:00 pm, and speaking with the agent, we finally got some of what we asked for. We requested bldg. 21 or 22, with King bed, facing pool, middle floor. What we originally got was bldg. 17, 2 doubles, facing out, bottom floor.....After some time, we got bldg. 21, facing out, 2 double beds, 3rd floor and a promise to be moved to another room with a king bed two days later. We decided to stay in the room we were given. We did however request an "egg crate" for the mattress as they are like sleeping on the floor.

MAID SERVICE: TERRIBLE. This is unusual. We have always gotten great service, but not this time. The mini bar was empty when we checked in on Wed., however the room was clean. I got the maid "Anita" the next morning and requested that the bar be stocked and large bottles of water be left for coffee and teeth brushing. When we got back from the pool, we received all that was asked for. She even left us a basket of fruit. The mini bar was refilled on Sunday (after telling the male maid) and then not again until Thursday. I called to the front desk to request coffee (we only had enough to make one pot) and waited an hour before we finally took our travel mugs to the buffet.

With the wind from "Alex" the floors were a mess, sand, dirt etc. The floor was never mopped the 10 days that we were there. We missed having Anita the whole time.

SERVICE: GREAT, overall the experience was wonderful and would recommend this hotel to anyone.

1 Thank Littleshabbygirl
Long Beach
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2010

The room was c;lean, however the bed was hard (no boxspring) it was a matress on a concrete slab. The shower was cold, with minimul water pressure. The buffet was aweful, mind you I love buffets, but not this one. I tried to flush a bug down the sink, but when it kept coming up the drain, I put a glass over the drain, and guess what, the glass was placed back on the counter....with out a paper cover...they did not even try, and make it look like they replaced the glass. The koi ponds were however lovely, as was the grounds itself with the birds, and monkeys.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
Iberostar Paraiso Lindo
Iberostar Paraiso Lindo
#5 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,808 reviews

Been to Iberostar Tucan Hotel? Share your experiences!