“Beautiful Mexican Paradise!”

Iberostar Tucan Hotel
Ranked #51 of 217 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed April 5, 2010

My parents and I stayed at the Iberostar Tucan for five nights during spring break and had a lovely time enjoying both land and water activities. The property is near jungle and wildlife is abundant from the moment you pass through the impressive, open aired lobby. After checking in, we were greeted by the large resident male peacock that could be seen displaying his feathers daily on the resort path. Keep your eyes open for families of monkeys running from rooftop to rooftop. Other wildlife includes iguanas, beautiful tropical birds and agoutis (rodent like creatures). My family enjoyed walking around the resort to find all sorts of exotic creatures in ravines and just off the beaten path.
We found our room satisfactory; however there are no dressers to put cloths in (room 5013) and the temperature/electricity fluctuated without warning from time to time. The shower had good water pressure and our room had a porch that looked out onto a garden. The room bar was stocked every other day with soda, water and beer which we enjoyed. The tv received international channels from American to Mexican to Italian. Each afternoon we would find a new towel creature created for us on the bed with flowers and chocolates. A nice touch.
I was looking forward to the food at this all inclusive resort. Our favorite place to eat was La Hacienda, the Mexican restaurant. Here, we were served Mexican chicken as an appetizer, an a la carte meal complete with a flaming tequila demonstration over my father’s steak and to finish everything off the Mariachi band played songs for us right at our table-delightful! We ate at the Japanese restaurant one night and found the show impressive but the food mediocre. Buffet was available most of the time and there were plenty of options for plenty of tastes. Stay away from the hotdogs at the beach grill; they tasted a bit funky. There are other a la carte options but we only made two reservations. They had a cooking demonstration on the beach one day and made paella for everyone. There are plenty of bar options; the only one we did not visit was the pool bar because it is separate from the other pool and it is in the shade…at least a few degrees cooler than the other pool! By far the best drink mixed is the banana daiquiri-try it and you will not be sorry.
We traveled to Riviera Maya to do some water activities such as snorkeling and SCUBA diving, however directly off the resorts beach is fairly clear water but little fish life. A dive center complete with night diving is available at the Tucan, however my family and I decided to travel to Cozumel on two occasions and use the facilities at the Iberostar Cozumel for diving. This was free from 9 am -6 pm and we ate at their restaurants and swam in their pools while we visited. You could also go to the Iberostar Paraiso in Riveria Maya to play golf and use their facilities if you wanted a change in scenery. I would highly recommend visiting the Palancar reef if you are in Mexico to either snorkel, dive or go on a glass bottom boat. Beware of people trying to sell you trips just off the ferry between Playa del Carmen and Cozumel…use your discretion. The other great excursion we went on was the Tulum ruin/Xel-ha ecopark tour. I highly recommend them.
Overall, Iberostar Tucan is a family resort not so good for the singles scene but a place full of activities and bursting with life. If you decide on this resort, I wish you a fantastic trip just as we’ve had!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank Apneawaverider
Write a ReviewReviews (6,873)

Reviewed April 5, 2010

I just got back from the Tucan and have to say that it more than met my expectations, as well as my husband's and 24-year-old daughter's. I can't count the times my daughter said that it was the nicest hotel she had ever stayed at. I am quite picky when choosing hotels and I did an awful lot of research before choosing the Tucan. Best choice I ever made. It was the week before Easter and the place was sold out and packed! I felt that even under those circumstances the hotel ran smoothly and the service was excellent. The lightbulb went out in the bathroom and one call and it was fixed immediately. It was hot so we needed extra bottles of water every day. $2.00 a day for the maid and we had everything we needed and then some. The room was always totally clean and done so in a timely manner. There are four restaurants for lunch which accommodated everyone with no lines.
Here are the things I stressed over and what was true:

1. The beach. Huge and absolutely gorgeous. Many chairs and palapas. True you may not get a palapa, but they have umbrellas if you ask for them at the building where you get the towels. There was a problem with people reserving chairs, so the hotel sent everyone a letter stating that no one can reserve chairs and if they do, they just might find their towels, shoes, books, etc. gone when they got down to the beach. That sure stopped people from reserving chairs!

2. Sunscreen - That sun is super strong there. More so than anywhere else I've been. I never saw so many people with sunburns in one place. I used a 50 and had to keep reapplying it OFTEN or I burnt. My daughter, who is olive-skinned, used a 30 and burnt. I would use a 50 minimum there.

3. Forecast for rain. I fretted over this big time. #3 out of the 7 days said rain. Never saw a drop. A few more clouds, maybe, but that was only in the morning. I asked a tour specialist about it and she said that if it does rain, it is usually only at night. Next time I won't watch the weather there at all.

4. Water sports. Went kayaking and sailing. Yes, the men who work there aren't the friendliest, but it's not really a problem of being friendly, it's just that they don't speak much English--at all! Girls who worked the booth were extremely knowledgeable and helpful. Took the excursion to Cozumel to snorkel and had a great time, even if I did get lost in the ocean (my fault for not hearing directions!) You can sail for an hour a day or if someone doesn't want the whole hour you can jump in and finish their time.

5. Restaurants---A week before i went I emailed the restaurant and had no trouble reserving all three restaurants. Steakhouse-fair--their beef tastes odd. If you like medium rare, order medium. Japanese was great, but all of us had mild intestinal problems from that dinner on. Cancelled the Italian because after we realized how close Playa Del Carmen was, we took a cab and ate there. Carlos and Charlies---had the best quesadilla there in my life! Reservations are in sittings---6:30 and 7:00, the 8:30 and 9:00.

6. Montezuma's Revenge - all of us had gastrointestinal problems, but nothing that Immodium wouldn't help. We were very very careful about what we ate and drank --no washed fruits and vegetables, etc. I think it's just that we were eating different foods and different spices. The weirdest thing is that for three days I had a black tongue. Gone now---so strange!

7. The beds - no way were they as hard as I imagined from all the reviews. I think we're all getting so accustomed to cushion-topped mattresses that when we sleep on a "regular" mattress it feels hard. Actually, my husband and I said that we had less aches from sleeping on the firm mattress. Plus, you ARE so tired when you get to bed that you don't really care.

8. Room location--we were in the 1200 building behind the towel hut. Not the greatest view, but you're hardly in the room at all. I kept saying I wanted to sit on my terrace and have a beer, but I never did. Too much else to do. Their XX beer is really good!

9. The shows---are really good and the Stars do put forth an amazing amount of effort. They do get a bit repetitive, so we only went to 3. Kids love the 8:30 show.

10. Apple shuttle bus---Apple was great all around, except for the bus. It took us over 2 and a half hours to get from the airport to the hotel. The Tucan is the second to last hotel as you travel toward Tulum so there are 3-5 hotels that are gone to to drop off guests. We decided to pay the $45+a $5 tip to go the the airport at the end of our stay. Well worth it. We were there in 45 minutes.

11. Clothes - bring clothes for hot and cooler weather. We dripped sweat the first two nights, wore light sweaters the next three nights and then were comfortable the last few nights. On the beach you might want to bring a long sleeved t-shirt for the cooler afternoons as the sun lowers--if the wind is blowing.

12. Guests--all ages from infant to elderly. Children were never a problem - anywhere. Majority of the guests were not from the USA, which to me made it more interesting. The only thing that was annoying was that they smoke a lot and I feel like I smoked right along with them, even on the beach. There is some topless, but it wasn't an issue at all.

Loved, loved, loved out stay and plan to go back next year for sure. Just walking the grounds is special. The way the place is lit at night makes it magical. The full moon helped too :) Enjoy!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
8  Thank glomom81
Reviewed March 31, 2010

We had a great time, can't say enough about the grounds, they are beautiful....Food was ok, the japanese was by far the best. The beds really were just as hard as everyone said, but we still slept pretty good so no problem.
Our problems stemmed from my daughters "missing" camera that was never found and it really didn't seem like anybody was all that eager to help locate it. It went missing from the disco and a camera is a teen girls best friend and I would have appreciated a bit more effort in locating it...oh well. They really can't do much if someone else took it but there effort was really lax in helping. On our way to the resort our bus broke down which made it a very long 2hr ride, not fun after a long day of travelling.
The other issue is with the Cancun, Mexico airport, my oldest daughters suitcase was ransacked on the way in to Mexico and her jewellery was stolen , on the way home my mother-in-laws suitcase had been gone through and her purses that she had brought in the suitcase had been literally ripped apart. On arrival at Detroit airport my daughters suitcase had been demolished and was being held together with massive amounts of duct tape???? It's hard to pin point where the problems took place but it leaves a bad taste in your mouth. Alot of this had NOTHING to do with the resort, as I said we had a great time regardless of the problems that we experienced.

Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank deflprdfan
Reviewed March 31, 2010

The review is a little late but this hotel is definitely worth a mention. There is not a great deal of difference between the sister hotel Iberstar Quetzal and this one, personally we preferred the Tucan overall as through it had a little more charm and character.
The rooms are quite large, with the mini bar was restocked every couple of days but if you needed anything, room service would provide without a problem. Each day the maid would make animals of all varying shapes and sizes with your towels.
The Pool was first class, large and with plenty sun loungers to pick from, so no need to get up early for a bed! Hotel was right on the beach but did not venture down to sunbath, but again looked as a large number of sun loungers available if you like the beach.
The hotel grounds are home to a number of animals with the odd monkey, peacock or iguana never to far away. This made the trip to the restaurants very interesting and a whole lot of fun guessing what you might see.. Its also a reminder to always take your camera through the jungle area..
Could not complaint about any of the themed restaurants even the buffet restaurant was superb with a fine chose of food for everyone, we were spoilt for choice
The entertainment & entertainment staff was excellent, they put their hearts and soles into everything they did. With a different show every night they kept you entertained. We did go into 5th Ave a number of nights, taxis can be found at the entrance to the hotel. Around £2 would get you to 5th Ave area (downtown). Along 5th avenue you will find a large number of shop, bars and restaurants and with the evening shows at the hotel not starting until 21:00 it give you ample time to do a little exploring around the downtown area.
If in Playa del Carmen again we would definitely stop at the Tucan hotel.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Chris-Lesley
Reviewed March 28, 2010

Overall a really good hotel, I would reccommend it.
Hotel:
Love the plant life and wondering animals, iguanas, peacocks, etc along the path that took you to the beach. The little grey resident cat there is the cutest thing ever! Lounging on the chairs amongst the tourists. The grass roofs really made the atmosphere tropical. The monkeys were cool to see and were never a menace, just lounging in the treetops.

Food:
The buffet had a good range of food, especially the fruits; papayas, guava, granadillas, mango, all the local fruit that I had wanted. I was suprised by the little pastries at breakfast, they were good sized and filled with custard..yummy.
The desserts were also surprisingly good, especially the little cakes and little chocolate mint mousse bomb.
Japanese restaurant is nice for atmosphere and entertainment, but the food was absolutely horrible. The Mexican restaurant was good as was the Italian, nothing spectacular, but nice.
The waiters were all so nice and polite, and the coffee waiters filling up your coffee all the time. House wines were also decent too.

Entertainment:
The shows at night were far from awesome, but hey I enjoyed the effort and cheesiness of it all. All the services were good, nice waiters and people. Entertainers can be a little pushy, but understandable, since they need people to get involved in order to make things fun.

Dislike:
The biggest complaint of mine is the smoking. I despise smoking and am super sensitive to it. I couldn't escape it the non-smoking sections, except once inside the dining rooms. People smoked freely everywhere and it pissed me off, especially at the beach.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank Churrochurro
Reviewed March 28, 2010

I found this resort through tripadvisor, and am very thankful. The positive reviews are accurate- it's a wonderful resort.

However, I would like to mention a few problems. We paid extra for an ocean front suite through a travel agency, Pleasant Holiday, but when we arrived there was no such room available.

The other problem was making our dinner reservations. I began emailing my request a couple of weeks before we were to arrive. I understood that if you stay 6 nights, you could have 2 nights in the a la carte restaurants. I received an email stating my reservations had been made as requested. Unfortunately, we realized later Yasemin only made one reservation for us and it was not on either of the nights I had requested.

Yasemin did a horrible job handling the situation. She let me know she did exactly what was asked of her, and that I was mistaken. She told me she has been working there for 3 years and has never had a complaint. There were 16 of us in the group, 8 of them children, all dressed up for the Japanese restaurant, only to find out we had no reservation and it had ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with her. I have the emails I sent, so I know what I requested.

We had a great time at this resort. The Star Frinds are amazing- I don't know how they do it. The only negatives are booking your room can be tricky ( we are unsure if we will be reimbursed for the suite we did not get) and Yasemin. I would recommend you double check to make sure you get the dinner reservation you request. You might get an email from her stating you did- only to find out later that YOU were mistaken.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank jgkirtley
Reviewed March 27, 2010

I want to first say that if your like me, your probably looking into EVERY resort in this area and reading every good and bad review. This was my first time to Mexico so I wanted this trip to be perfect. And it was! This resort is absolutely beautiful. Its in the middle of a jungle with wildlife everywhere. Monkeys, peacocks, flamingos, chickens and swans! I have to say that the Quetzal side was more beautiful then the Tucan side. So I will start this review from check in to check out!

My boyfriend and I went through signature vacations so we had a shuttle take us to our resort which was nice cuz its free BUT it was a very long ride, about 2 hrs. We had to stop at every resort on the way to drop of people and we didnt get to the Tucan till around 630. A cab ride is around 50 bucks so thats something to consider. Check in was very fast and easy. We had a nice welcome drink waiting for us!

The rooms are alright, they need to be updated. The beds are hard as every review says but I actually slept better at the resort than I do at home. Your so busy and beat by the end of the night from sun and booze that you dont even realize how hard the beds are. At least I didnt! The shower is pretty big, but theres no tub. I was really happy with the view of the jungle we had from our room 1745, it was amazing! We had a dozen monkeys roaming in a tree a couple afternoons, and even a couple monkeys right on our balcony! Wow!

Okay, the beach is aaaaamazing! So huge! Not very busy either. Nice white sand that was cool on the feet and the bluest water imaginable! The only problem was that the water was pretty rough during our stay so we stayed by the pool a lot since we liked to swim and cool off. We didnt get up too early, usually around 830 or 9 but always seemed to find a spot by the pool, some spots better then others. I loved the pool. It was also huge! And the water wasnt too cold at all! It was so nice to jump in and cool off from the hot Mexican sun! We never went to the swim up bar pool but if we wanted a drink, it was easy to get one. The bar was close by and there were waitresses around too.

The grounds of the resort are out of this world! You literally feel like your staying in the middle of a jungle. So much wildlife and the sounds of birds and the howler monkeys were awesome. We never got lost, and it never seemed like a long walk to the beach, even from our room. It was mapped out very nicely!

So now for the restaurants. We did Japanese, Mexican and Steakhouse. All of them were awesome, especially the Japanese. Try the banana dessert! Yum! My boyfriend really enjoyed the Mexican one. The buffet was great. Alot to choose from, and always a main meal every night like turkey or ribs or prime rib. I was a bit worried about the buffet since reading some bad reviews but they must be extremely picky. And I even think Im a bit picky, but it was great! Breakfast was awesome, lots of donuts, pancakes, eggs, bacon etc. everything you can think of!

Check out was easy. Handed in our towel cards and room cards and that was it. How depressing! I didnt want to leave.. I had fallen in love! We had a shuttle bus take us back to the airport, with no stops so it was fast.

My boyfriend and I both loved this resort and definitely recommend it. Trust me, you will not be disappointed! Wether your a couple or family, you will enjoy it!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple