“Can't wait to go back!!”

Iberostar Tucan Hotel
Ranked #42 of 209 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersGold level
Milwaukee, WI
“Can't wait to go back!!”
Reviewed December 26, 2009

Everything was perfect. Traveled with my 30 year old daughter. Had a great time. Her first trip to Mexico and she loved every minute of it. The beach was beautiful, food was very good. Service was great, very friendly. Went on the zip-lining tour fun fun fun. Went ATV'ing (a must). My husband and I are going this March. Can't wait. 2 ladies traveling alone felt safe but was also aware. One thing, do not pay for tours with cash. Had a issue with that but was resolved eventually.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank funmomfromwi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,039)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Nebraska
Reviewed December 24, 2009

We stayed at the Tucan for 10 wonderful days. Staff were all very friendly from the check in attendents to the maids. The resort was very nice and clean. We enjoyed the monkeys and all the wild life right there in the resort. The food in the dinning room was very good and a nice selection. The only complaint we may have had was with restaurants. It was hard to get a reservation even though they didn't appear to be full. Several empty tables but you still couldn't get in. One evening we were able to get into the Mexican one and it was very good. Our 20+ year old kids were able to get into the steak restaurant and they said it was good also. But the food in the dinning room was good and you didn't have to mess around with a reservation and making sure you were there on time so it really wasn't a big deal to us. I would highly recommend this resort! It was a blast! If you get down town be sure to go to the Alux Restaurant. It's in a cave and very cool! And if you go fishing be sure to take your catch to Greengo Dave's right there at the marina. He will cook it up for you and it's sooo good! We have vacationed in Mexico several times and this was one of our favorite places!

4 Thank JackieNebraska
Chesapeake Beach, MD
Reviewed December 22, 2009

My husband and I booked this trip with another couple as a quick and affordable getaway. My friend commented the entire time that she couldn't believe how nice it was considering all the negative reviews she read before we went (even if she does tend to mainly read the negative ones). We found the Tucan to be a great value - the positives much outweighing the negatives.

My husband and I were partial to spending our days at the pool. Getting outside a little before 9:00am seemed to get us better seats at the pool vs. the beach everyday. The pool was very clean and refreshing. I liked how the deeper water meant that the children mainly congregated at the one shallow end. This way we could separate ourselves and not feel overwhelmed by families. Of course, the "reserving seats is forbidden signs" didn't stop anyone. On our last day there, we were at the pool by 7am to soak up some last minute sun and I couldn't believe how many reserved seats I saw. I don't blame the resort as much as a blame the guests. The same couples/families grabbed the 4-5 "huts" they had around the pool everyday! Ever heard of sharing? Worse yet, most wouldn't sit in them all day. They were just nice beds for their towels to rest. Don't worry, we never had a problem getting a seat but the prime locations were always taken.

Our husbands enjoyed the activities the hotel offered although on some days it seemed as though nobody cared to organize them. Our first day there, the staff was always walking around trying to gather up participants but on the second and third day, we weren't asked once. The guys would hang around the game pool for the scheduled water polo game and nobody would show up. I'm not quite sure why it was so hit and miss! But, they did manage to play water basketball and beach volleyball once each.

We were only staying 4 days which therefore entitled to 1 restaurant reservation. We actually ate at 3 of the 4 available restaurants just by stopping by guest services at 4:00pm and asking if anything was available. We weren't picky about the time or the place and typically found the earlier reservation to be most available. I thought the Japanese steak house was delicious and my whole group really enjoyed our steaks at the steak house. The Mexican restaurant wasn't really my taste but the rest of my group enjoyed themselves. We gave the restaurants a big thumbs up. Another couple told us they liked to go to the buffet after their restaurant meals because of the variety of desserts. The breakfast buffet was excellent and contained anything and everything you could think of. We found lunch to be the most random and lacking at points but we always found plenty to eat. Near the end of the trip we found out we could eat on the Quetzal side which was serving the same food to much fewer people. I wish I had discovered that sooner! Our one night at the dinner buffet was also pretty good although we were quite disappointed at the lack of actual Mexican food present. We ate and drank plenty on our trip!

I really enjoyed the ambiance of the hotel. The lobby and restaurant areas were very beautiful and decorated for the holidays. The waterfall at the other side of the hotel was so neat! I loved the decor of the rooms and found them to be quite up-to-date. Newsflash, the beds are hard, but we slept well every night. I didn't feel like I was on a budget vacation.

The shows were a bit cheesy but still enjoyable. We especially liked the Movie Night presentation. They obviously put a lot of time and money into the shows - great costumes, sets, and dancing. On crowded nights I found myself wishing it was a non-smoking resort and there was a little more air circulation. Nothing I couldn't live with.

Overall, this was a very nice vacation. Don't let the downers deter you from giving it a try.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
5 Thank ElonGal
Texas
Reviewed December 21, 2009

I recently stayed at the Iberostar Tucan Hotel in Playacar, Playa del Carmen Mexico. My wife's brother got married there and had a wedding party of over 80 people. This was a very large group for an out of country wedding, so you would think the resort would cater to such a group. I cannot speak for the Bride and Groom but do know they were disappointed with the service their friends received. The staff was very cold and did not seem to care about anyone other then themselves.

Room keys did not work very often. It would take on the average 10 -12 times to get it to unlock the door. I went twice in during our stay and got new keys but none corrected the problem. I was told twice that they would have maintenance check but to my knowledge it never happened. Even if they did check, they did not fix anything.

I had to call three times and finally received a remote for the TV 6 hours later. We had ants in our room however I never reported it, so that was my bad. The worst thing were the meals and restaurants. Sorry, I should not say restaurants, because I was never able to get a reservation to eat at one. In our vacation package, it firmly states that you are guaranteed at least one reservations for up to a four day stay and it increases with longer stays. For three days I was told that all restaurants were booked. I finally asked to talk to a manager and 30 minutes later I finally get to tell her my complaint and she gracefully started helping someone else, simply turning her back to me. I did not interrupt her helping the other customer because I was not going to be rude to the customers as the manager was to me. Finally, she turns to me and tells me that I could have a reservation at the Italian restaurant at 6:30 pm that night. It was 6:00 and I do not like Italian food. So basically "tuff" we are booked. They have no concern for the customers at all. The rudest staff I have ever seen. It was like "HAHA we already have your money, so what are you going to do about it".

People, this was the worst resort I have ever stayed at. I have stayed at many resorts in Mexico and have always had exemplary service. I will never be guilty of spending money at the Iberostar Tucan again. Would not stay there if someone else paid for the trip.

I realize there will be a lot of people read this and say that I am just vindictive and it was not nearly as bad as I am posting. Everyone has a right to believe that I am exaggerating and for them, I wish you would spend the money to find out the hard way.

The service I received was so ridiculous! I also know that this posting will do no good in changing their service but it may keep one traveler from loosing their money as I did.

note: The have high speed internet in the lobby only!

8 Thank DisgruntledTexas
new york
Reviewed December 21, 2009

I titled this review as I did because I think that too many that post on this site can be extremely high strung/picky/have unrealistic expectations, etc. I am not one of these people. So if you're looking for a straight forward review from a sane person, put this in that category.

The hotel grounds are lush, tropical, and very pretty. What seems to most separate this from other hotels out there are the jungle-y paths that connect different parts of the resort - where you can spot everything from flamingos to tapirs to turtles and monkeys. The monkeys are a bit harder to spot than the rest, but they are around, and very cool to see when/if you can find them. So all in all, if you're an animal lover or with kids who are, this can be a very special experience, and reason to pick this hotel versus another. The dining area near the Quetzal side is particularly beautiful, with a great waterfall/wildlife area. Very tropical and scenic.

The rooms are spacious and comfortable - with a nice, Mayan charm to them. (I can only speak to the Quetzal side as far as rooms are concerned. Note, though, that in almost every way, Tucan and Quetzal are the exact same resort, and it REALLY does not matter which you book. REALLY. You are booking the same resort, sharing all the same amenities.) Unless you're getting an ocean view room, you may want to ask for a balcony overlooking the jungle, but beware of the animal sounds you may hear. Personally, I think that's a plus. If you end up being close to the neighboring hotels, you may hear their nightclubs/entertainment instead. Personally I prefer the animal sounds.) The beds, as some have mentioned, are not the softest in the world, but I didn't mind them at all. Never had trouble sleeping during my week+ there.

Food is, get this... quite good. So many people have mentioned that this resort's food as a main weaknesses. What are you people expecting? I found the food to be diverse, plentiful, and very tasty - as did everyone I was with. There was more than enough for all of us to eat way too much because we were enjoying the food so much. It may not be 5 star resort quality, but it was definitely way better than I expected after reading some of the reviews on here. You will not be disappointed. You will probably gain weight, in fact. (though the plentiful drinks won't help either.)

The pool is very big and very nice. In the day, the staff runs games for the kids there, and possibly the adults too. I did my best to avoid this, because I preferred to find serenity over this noise. Be aware, the pool can certainly get noisy. The beach and pool both got very crowded - to the point where you may have trouble finding a chair if you come in the afternoon. Or to be more specific, you may have trouble finding a desirable chair. If you don't mind being in the middle of a billion people, you can probably find one. I walked down the beach and saw some of the neighboring hotels' beach areas were much less crowded - a good thing if you're looking for chairs/privacy, but perhaps spoke to the Tucan/Quetzal being better and thus more popular- who knows?

The night entertainment was good compared to what I expected. I can be a little hokey as you would imagine, but they really do put noticeable effort into the shows, with beautiful costumes, musicians that are actually talented, and dancers that can actually dance.

That is all for now. I'm sure there is much more, but this is getting a bit long. Go get some sun and relax. :)

7 Thank cargocharlie
vancouver, bc
Reviewed December 21, 2009

We chose this hotel specifically from the reviews on travel advisor. When we arrived everything looked very nice, we were assigned a room and the weather was great. After a few days in the room I decided to report the defficiencies I had noticed. I left a note at the front desk with the following. (1) Curtains had come off rod and did not close properly to black out room(2) Air conditioning did not work properly as it would only lower the temperature to 24 degrees C (3) There was a cockroch in the shower stall (4) Was the water potable or not as our friends room had a sign in the bathroom and ours didn't. When we returned to our room from our morning walk, the room had been cleaned and the curtains were somewhat fixed. When I went in the bathroom the shower curtain was drawn but the cockroch was still there. I immediately called the front desk and asked for a new room. After speaking with someone supposedly incharge she said that cockroches are in all areas in Mexico and the water in the sink is fine she brushes were teeth everyday with it. At that point I asked to speak to the hotel manager but wa told that he was in a meeting and was not available and that she was the only one that could handle this. I then had to tell her that I knew about roches but why was the one in my shower still there after the room was supposedly cleaned? and is the water potable or not? She then went on to say that she could only give me a new room several buildings away which was not acceptable as we wanted to remain close to our friends. They did however send some to reclean my shower properly. Later on in the afternoon when we returned to our room we recieved a call from this Supervisor asking how the room was now and also advised me that they had put a non potable sticker on my sink in the bathroom. I told her that the shower and the sticker were fine but the air conditioning was still at 24 and did not come down. She said rather sharply that she was in the room the air conditioning was fixed and it was at 20 degrees. I said that the temperture I set it at was 20 but the room would only go down to 24 as these are the readings on the thermostat the top is desired temperature the next are room temperature and the final is outside temperature. She then said she would be right down with some service people. When she arrived I had to show her directly how the thermostat worked and she said they would fix it but needed a new part that would take up toan hour to repair. I then asked why did you tell me it was fixed if you know they need a new part? She did not respond. At that point I was agained annoyed that she had lied to me. I then realized that I had forgot to mention that the hairdrier did not work properly as you could only turn it off and on by pushing the test and reset on the groundfault plug. She came back at me and said that there were all like that. She was again caught in a lie as I informed her that the dryer in our friends room worked just fine. She only said they would look at it. We left our room again and when we returned a new dryer was in place and room was now down to 23 degrees. The next day they put a fruit basket in our room and that night I got a call from one of the hotel managers and I tried to give him the details. I then went to the front desk and requested to speak to him in person. During our conversation I stated my displeasure in being lied to and the fact that my wife was very upset that the room was not properly cleaned. He said that he would speak to the girl who handled this. At this point I stated that I felt that some sort of service recovery was required, the fruit basket was not appropriate as we could get all the fruit we wanted from the restaurants. He asked what I wanted and I said it was up to him but perhaps an upgrade or even a massage for my wife would be some suggestions. He said that he could only offer me a 30% discount on a message. I told him that if that was what he felt was approperiate I would turn it down and simply state my concerns on travel advisor and also report it to their head office. He said that that was fine and we ended our conversation. I am now followinging through on my part of the conclusion. I am not a complainer, I have been to the Mayan Riviera numerous times and do understand how somethings breakdown and need repair. I also now about cleanliness. I do not believe anyone should be lied to in order to solve any of these problems. I would now like to give you my honest feelings about the rest of the hotel. The food was a typical buffet most of the food was only warm and not hot. We even had undercooked hamburgers served to us. The pool area was very nice and staff were excellent. The only problem there was unsuperved teenagers and children running around. The lounges were good especially the front ones where they served the better liquor on request. The only improvements there could be better supervision and security as several arguments broke out with lots of swearing and near fisticuffs. This is a hotel for families and not someone looking for a quiet vacation. Many times there were young children running around the lounges unattended as their parents enjoyed the lounge drinks. Finally I must say that the entertainment staff was excellent. Of the four different hotels we've stayed at in the Mayan Riviera and even some of the cruises we've been on, they were probable the best we've seen.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank MarkDebVancouver_Bc
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed December 21, 2009

Iberostar Tucan has so far been our favorite all inclusive get away. We have been to Punta Cana and another Mexican resort and this has been the best. The purpose of our trip was to get away and relax in the sun. We spent our time going to the gym in the early morning (weights are old, cardio equipment is ok, but good enough for a short vacation work out), hit the breakfast buffet (wonderful french toast and more egg and omelet choices than I could have imagined) and spent the rest of the day laying on the beach, swimming in the pool and playing sand volleyball. The drinks were not too great unless you specifically asked for the better liquor. The swim up bar had the best mojitos and margaritas. Bring an extra insulated mug to keep your drinks cold longer. If we go back here, we probably would stick to the buffet for dinner instead of the restaurants. The Japanese steak house wasn't bad, but not as good as the ones we have been to back home and the buffet has a great selection. We also tried the Italian which was just ok. I have to admit, though, this was the first international trip we went on that we didn't need to use any medicine to calm our stomachs!
The setting of the resort is wonderful. We spent a lot of time just wandering around, checking the different types of animals and trees.
The resort had some games and competitions planned throughout the day, but I didn't think the staff was too great at advertising it and getting people to join. I also liked how the other resorts we had been to would give away free tshirts or bottles of tequila for the winners. I also didn't think the nightly entertainment was very good. We ended up going back to the room early almost every night to watch whatever movie was on tv in English.
We met a few other travelers who said they have stayed at this resort multiple times. One couple had been there 6 times. They said this beach was the best and the staff was the friendliest. One afternoon we walked along the beach to Playa Del Carmen and I agree that our beach looked the nicest. There was plenty of umbrellas and space to spread out. I guess we went during the slow tourist season, but we didn't have to scramble to claim our spot on the beach. We were usually out by 8:30, but all throughout the day it seemed like there was plenty of space.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
#39 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Barcelo Maya Tropical
Barcelo Maya Tropical
#7 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras

Been to Iberostar Tucan Hotel? Share your experiences!