Royal Hideaway Playacar(Playa del Carmen)
$276
$232
Bookit.com
Occidental at Xcaret Destination(Playa del Carmen)
$165
  • Breakfast included
The Royal Playa del Carmen(Playa del Carmen)
$416
$374
  • Breakfast included
Valentin Imperial Riviera Maya(Playa del Secreto)(Great Value!)
$379
$318
  • Breakfast included
Fairmont Mayakoba(Playa del Carmen)
$425
$329
  • Beachfront
$271
$101
Hotels.com
Savings alert! 36% below average rates

The price you found is 36% lower than this hotel's average rate of $159/night.

$384
$391
$346
HotelsClick
  • Breakfast included
Grand Velas Riviera Maya(Playa del Carmen)
$1,398
$797
7,125 results
All reviewsstar friendshowler monkeysjungle areaspecialty restaurantsswim up bardressel diversjapanese restaurantate at the japanesetowel hutpool beachgated communityother resortsemailed the hotelplenty of chairsmagic showcab rideapple vacations
Reviewed September 10, 2009

Just got back this morning (10th sept) and thought i would give a TRUE UNBIASED OPINION on EVERYTHING about the holiday..
The first thing I will mention is the flight out (just for the UK travellers).We booked through first choice and decided to upgrade to premium economy just for the extra legroom (and complementary drinks), well, the flight out was great, just 110 people on the whole plane (Thomson airways) the food was actually nice and the "trolley dollys" were really professional and first class, unfortunately this cannot be said for the return flight, it was packed and the food was disgusting, I think they actually scraped roadkill from the runway in Cancun and passed it off as beef, even worse to come was the smell of raw sewerage on the plane from take off to landing, and then came the most vile breakfast imagionable, I actually thought that we had mashed potatoe, no, this was actually egg!!!! it was a mushy yellowy blob of gunk that had the same aroma as the sewerage smell on the plane, as for the complementary drinks, they came round twice in 9 hours, my advice? save your money and stay in economy, trust me the seats are big enough and have plenty legroom.
Now for the all important part, the hotel itself, well where do i start, upon arrival we had a smooth and very fast check in, the bell boys were always on hand to convey you and your luggage to your rooms, if you want to upgrade to a ocean view suite as we did, email the hotel first as we paid just $50 (£30) per day for this and the views alone are worth the extra money, in fact use the money you saved on upgrading your flight and upgrade your room instead, a lot of travel companies will do the upgrade for you but at a much higher price than the actual hotel itself, i spoke to one couple who had been charged over £400 ($620) from their tour company.
The hotel itself has all the facilities you will ever need to make a perfect holiday, the only complaint that i can justify was the price of the day excursions they were a blatent rip off and massivly overpriced, again this is not the hotels fault its the tour operators who rip you off. A lot of previous reviews have mentioned how hard the beds are, well, yes they are hard but matteress toppers are always available from the reception free of charge all you need to do is ask and the maid will come to your room and fit one within the hour.
Another thing about the resort is the heat, its Mexico, its bound to be hot, and, yes, there are a lack of "cool spots" within the bar areas but due to the humidity i doubt that blasting air conditioning would help at most of the areas are in the open, but, the rooms are lovely and cool for the night time, to be honest I cannot complain about the hotel at all, the food is fantastic for an all inclusive and the choice of a la carte restaurants is tremendous BUT you have to try the steakhouse.... I have eaten steak all over the world and the tenderloin steak in the steakhouse i can honestly say was one of the best steaks we have ever had the pleasure to eat, in fact we used all our 3 a la carte reservations in the steakhouse as nothing in my opinion could compare to it, another thing about the food which no one has mentioned before but i am going to, IF YOU HAVE A NUT ALLERGY PLEASE BE CAREFULL, as 75% of the deserts and ice creams contained nuts so obviously the main restauants will be places that nuts have been used and there are no warnings, just thought id let you know.
Now to the staff, only one thing i can say about them....Brilliant, every member of staff at this hotel was fantastic and could not do enough for you, you always got a smile and a "Hola" no matter what time of day and night it was, they would bend over bacwards to help in anyway they could, the entertainment staff were also great, they must work 20 hours a day 7 days a week as they are around the pool in the morning and afternoon trying to get people to join in their activities, then their shows in the evening and some of them working in the nightclub till 3am. 10 out of 10 for the staff.
The hotel does have a great spa but this is not included and can be expensive ($150, £100 for a 50 min massage is a bit much)
The resort is spotless and is in a jungle setting, the bugs can be a bit brutal depending on how hungry they are but if you buy "deet 55 or 100" they will stay away.
On another note the abundance of wildlife is amazing ranging from howler monkeys, parrots, iguanas and lizards, flamingo's the list just goes on and on....
To sum up all of the above i would say "JUST GO, WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR", UPGRADE YOUR ROOM AND ENJOY. I will certaily be going back as soon as i can (i will even take the wife again;-))
any questions you have feel free to email and ask me ill be happy to help

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
9  Thank chavslayer
Reviewed September 9, 2009

After reading all the great reviews on this property, I was a little dissappointed with my stay. Don't get me wrong, this is a decent resort but it isn't 5 star quality like the company says it is. To sum it all up in a few words---average food, nice beach and pool, clean rooms, almost no air conditioned spaces other than your room and specialty restaurants, exotic jungle within the resort, and friendly staff even though there wasn't enough.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled solo
4  Thank Noah26
Reviewed September 8, 2009

Summary and conclusion: My wife, children (ages 20 and 15), and I have taken one-week vacations to all-inclusive resorts in the Dominican Republic and Mexico for 10 summers now. This was our first stay at the Iberostar Tucan. Our conclusion is unanimous: this small jewel in the jungle was the best of all.

Booking and price: Based on consistently good online reviews, I have considered booking this resort just about every year. This summer the price was the lowest I’ve seen: $800 per person for a 7-day package from Baltimore with Apple Vacations. If cost is an issue, this is an excellent deal. Score: 5 of 5

Location and atmosphere: This resort is located within the Playacar complex just south of Playa Del Carmen. It is not as convenient to the Cancun airport as Porto Morelos, but not so long of a drive as Xpu-ha or Tulum. Although the Iberostar actually sits within a large resort complex, the setting among ponds, waterfalls, and tall trees teeming with wildlife effectively conveys the illusion that you are nestled in the midst of the Mayan jungle. The resort is smaller and much more intimate than other places we’ve stayed. It is just a short walk to the beach, pool, gym, restaurant, or buffet from any room on the site. Should you forget something, you can easily return to your room to get it. Score: 5 of 5

Sand and sea: Soft, sandy, palm-lined shore with gorgeous aquamarine water, gentle waves, and plenty of chairs/palapas. Smiling waitresses take your orders and serve you drinks right on the beach. There are no rocks (good for swimming) and few fish (bad for snorkeling). The beach is not as spectacular as my favorites in Punta Cana, Tulum or Xpu-ha, but still very good. I enjoyed long walks each day, checking out the lively beach scenes along resorts to the north, as well as the restful nature scenes on the deserted beach to the south. Big black tubular sandbags provide a rather unfortunate distraction from the natural beauty along the developed section of the beach. Advice to Iberostar: A pamphlet or bulletin board with pictures showing hurricane damage and diagrams explaining the beach replenishment project would be very informative. A lot of guests have questions and I expect would be more forgiving if they understood how these barriers are working to restore the beach. My family made the best of the situation and used the bags as slides into the sea (a little against the rules, but much fun). Score: 4 of 5

Food and more food: Our whole family agrees that this is the best cuisine we’ve yet experienced at an all-inclusive in Mexico or the Dominican Republic. The service is both friendly and competent. We loved all the Mexican dishes, fish, fresh fruit (smoothies for breakfast), pasta, salads, soups, simple desserts (e.g., mango ice cream), and fancy European desserts at the buffets. We also enjoyed the Mexican, Japanese, and Italian restaurants. Even the house wine at this resort was good. My only complaint is that they need to brew real tea rather than serve instant iced tea with meals. Score: 5 of 5

Rooms and monkeys: Rooms here are basic, clean, and comfortable with very firm mattresses (which I prefer). We shared our third-floor balcony with a family of howler monkeys, one of whom liked to hang from the roof by her tail and tap on our sliding glass door hoping for food (which we did not provide). Fortunately, they didn’t bother our drying bathing suits, although Pedro (the name my son gave the father monkey) looked like he might benefit from a Speedo to hold his low-hanging fruit in place. When not hanging out on our balcony, my son stayed in contact with his new-found friends by howling in a deep bass voice. The monkeys replied in kind! This was a very special part of the experience for us. In my book, living with wild monkeys trumps swimming with captive dolphins. Score: 5 of 5.

Activities and fun: The entertainment staff here are great – not pushy or over-the-top, but normal and friendly. My son and I especially liked playing beach volleyball each day. We made new friends, young and old, from both America and Europe. At some larger resorts, you lie on the beach watching people all day, but never speaking a word to anyone. At this resort, everyone talks and interacts. It is hard to keep silent when you are having such a tremendous time! Score: 5 of 5.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
4  Thank LuDaWei
Reviewed September 7, 2009

Did I have complaints? Yes. Would I stay here again? Yes.
We stayed at Iberostar Tucan from August 18 to August 25. The location is beautiful, the rooms are nice, the kids club and night shows amazing, the food was very dissapointing.
This was our 9th all inclusive and 5th time in Riviera Maya.
We were 5, including 3 & 5 yr old kids and my 82 year old grandmother. At the time of booking, we had requested 1st floor in building 12. When we arrived, we were given 3rd floor in building 25. Beautiful view and not in a bad location, but with 2 small kids, their toys for the beach and our grandmother, third floor was a bit too much.
At checkin, they told us they didn't have any other rooms till the next day. We agreed. The next morning we received a phone call saying they made a mistake and we couldn't have a new room until for another day. The resort was actually only half full and they closed half of the buildings and moved everyone closer to the beach. We had no other choice but to wait. Finally the next day we were given a first floor room in building 11. Right next to the beach, but right behind the beach grill. So if you like to sit on your patio, not sure if this building is good for you since you get all the smells/smoke from the grill during lunch time. We didn't mind since we were on the beach the whole day.

The room:
No complaints about the room. Yes the beds were hard, but after 3 phone calls we finally received egg-crates foam type things to make the bed softer which did help. I loved the couch/daybed. Great as a third bed. I slept on it 2 nights because I have a bad back and was tossing and turning and didn't want to disturb my husband.
No bathtubs in the rooms, only walk-in showers with very small shower curtains. Be very careful, can be slippery. One woman actually broke her arm trying to get out and slipped on the wet floor.

The pools:
The pools are beautiful but can be dangerous. I think I counted 4 pools. The adult/bar pool, the sports pool, the kids pool, and the main pool.
The main pool is huge and has stairs all around it. BEWARE. No where does it say that the stairs don't go all the way down. On the first day, my husband was carying my 3 yr old son and was going down the stairs, but there were only 4 steps and then nothing into 5 1/2 feet of water. He fell in. very scary. There is an area closer to the beach that is shallow where the kids can swim, but its not very big, the rest of the pool is on 5 feet or deeper. Bring floaties, you'll enjoy the pool more.
Because of the August heat, the pools were very warm and not very refreshing. Nothing you can do about that, but I enjoyed the ocean a lot more because it was so much cooler.
The adult pool/bar is secluded and out of the way, so you don't have to worry about drunken/rowdy people. They have built in tables and benches and a small waterfall and it can be romantic .The only thing was it was kind of dirty. The water was cloudy and there were bugs and leaves floating all over. We stayed only long enough to finish our drinks.

The Kids Club:
AMAZING. Maricella and Michelle are wonderful with the kids. They have great activities like jungle walk, tennis lessons, treasure hunt, arts/crafts, etc. They take the kids to the beach and the pool. My daughter didn't want to leave. She was there from 10 - 4:30 every day. Every night they had activities in the theater starting at 8pm. They did musical chairs, danching, carnival games, pinata.
The most amazing amazing was the CATS show. The kids practived one afternoon for about 2 hours and then put on an amazing show one night with full cats costumes. Just amazing. They even gave participation certificates. The Star crew was also great with the kids, always smiles on their faces.

The shows:
I only saw 2, but they were wonderful. The boogey nights show had fireworks, great costumes, wonderul music. The Star crew do an amazing job. They do corny games with audience participation, but once those are finished, the shows are wonderful.

The food:
My least favorite part of the vacation. the one positive was I can actually say I didn't gain any weight on this vacation. Very little variety, no theme nights, not a lot of healthy choices. I almost felt I was eating college dorm food. Hot dogs, Pizza, tacos.
Every night they had "make your own taco " station with a hot grill in the middle of the buffet. There was never an attendant there. Finally I decided to grill my own tortilla and a woman from the pasta station ran over to help me. I was worried about my kids coming over and touching the hot grill. Some of the food was so salty, it was unedible. The ala carte restaurants were ok. The Japanese were our favorite. Unfortunately our chef didn't do a show for us, like some of the other chefs at other tables. We also ate at mexican and italian. The appetizer tables were very good, but the main dinners were dissapointing. The Ala cartes are also supposed to be air-conditioned. I had sweat pouring off of me at each one.

The Beach:
Beautiful. The wales didn't bother us at all. They actually were fun for my kids. Little tiny fish would swarm around them to each the sea weed so my kids and I were able to snorkel and watch the fish. One little problem was the steep drop into the water. so be careful. There were very few waves and absolutely no sea weed. So relaxing. Since the resort was only half full, there were tons of chairs available. You can also get umbrellas from where you get the towels and bring the umbrellas to the beach.

The Heat:
The August heat was a bit too much for us. This resort doesn't really have any air conditioned areas other than your own room and the bathroom in the lobby. The ala carte restaurants are air conditioned, but they didn't feel like it. The theater was really hot. They didn't turn the overhead fans until almost 9pm so if you were there for the kids shows, you were dripping wet by the time they were over. If I we ever decide to go to a resort in August, we would definitely pick one with more air conditioned areas. This resort is better during winter, when the heat is not so bad.

WildLife:
Mosquitoes:Yes there were a lot. Don't forget to bring your bug spray, I used it. We were in the jungle after all.
The monkeys were fun to watch. they stay up in the trees and don't bother anyone. They do make a lot of noise sometimes, but that didn't bother us. The peacocks roosters, swans, and flamingoes were all great. The Kois and turtles were fun to feed at the breakfast buffet. The little animals we called rats(they're not) were also fun. We saw something different everytime we walked through the jungle.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
5  Thank gigig99
Reviewed September 6, 2009

We recently stayed at the RIU RM and the Iberostar Tucan the past 2 weeks

Background: honeymooners who are social, and social drinkers

Check in: Sort of a pain. We got their extremely early, so we knew we couldn't check in, but the front desk told us there would be no problem to check in at 2:00, so we enjoyed the pool and came back to find out we had to wait until after 3:00 for check in. It was a little annoying, but not ruining anything, since it was our honeymoon

Rooms: We had a great 1st room, but wanted to upgrade for $50 a night to be on the beach. Very worth it. We got our 2nd room. It was outstanding, the only problem was we had a little ant problem. I thought it might have been because we had a flavored water open, but doesn't seem to be the way. We cleaned up the room spotless and we still had a little issue. It wasn't a huge deal though. The one downside of this room is it gets real hot, even with the AC on. The cleaning people do an amazing job, but I am used to sleeping in cool rooms, and it was a bit hot. **As an FYI** they only fill your fridge every other day, so if you want to have a few beers, conserve, because when we asked them to refill our fridge they said they wouldn't.

Pool: One of the best pools I have been too. Oustanding. I wish the pool bar was part of the main pool. I really want to stress how much better this pool is than the other resorts we have been in. The pool bar was alright, but being disconnected to the main pool was sort of a disappointment

Beach; Bar none, best beach in Playacar, beats all RIUs. I would have to say the huts on the beach are the best, no other resort has them. I also think the water was nice, since the protectors weren't all over the place like other resorts.

Activities: Great, they keep activities going thru the day

Entertainment: This is where they shined. They put on a a great show every night, and they work real hard. I was so happy with their performance, we went all of the 5 nights we were there. They have the best shows of any hotel I have stayed at.

Bars: They have two main bars and the show bar. We did the one lobby bar on the tucan side. They had music every night. I would say it is quieter than most resorts tho. Also, the club was fun for a night or two, but on the 3rd night, there were what appeared to be 13 year olds hanging out.

Food: I like the food, but hated the variety. One thing I wish is that you could make more than 2 reservations to specialty restaurants. The buffets have the same food every night, so you really have to try new things in order to like the food. I think the quality of food was there however.

Service: Outstanding, we got a wine and fruit basket for our honeymoon, which was nice since the riu didn't give us anything. They also did some cool towel art every day.

Grounds: The grounds are real cool. It is like you are in a jungle, monkeys and birds everywhere. I would have to say this is one of the only resorts in Playacar like this.

Bottom line: I give this resort a 5, but a 4 in our situation. It was flawless except a few things. The ants sort of bothered me, and they weren't taken care of. The $13 a day wi-fi was a bit high, since the RIU has it for free. And the food variety on the buffetts could have been better.

For families, this is the place to go! For social people, I would say no. The staff was outstanding, but the people staying at the resort weren't as friendly as at the RIU. I love this place, and would recommend it to anyone, just wasn't perfect for what we were looking for.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple