“best overall vacation spot”

Iberostar Tucan Hotel
Ranked #42 of 209 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersGold level
A TripAdvisor Member
“best overall vacation spot”
Reviewed July 2, 2004

I can't say enough about this resort. We took our college aged children on a family vacation to this resort the week of May 10, 2004. It was great for the entire family. Some resorts cater more to honeymooners or families with small kids or retired folks...this place had it for all. Wonderful food (buffets are the best), clean rooms, clean ocean,
great service, friendly staff, great property. The entertainment staff was the best....they really work hard. Organizing activities for the guests during the day and then putting on shows at night. Very talented with a wonderful sense of humor. We were very impressed and would return again.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,034)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Reviewed June 30, 2004

My wife, 13 year old son and 9 year old daughter stayed from 6/22-6/29. The property is beautiful. The "jungle" between the front desk area and the pool area is exciting to walk through. The food is very good. Lots of variety at the buffets and ala carte restaurants. The activities are fair. There was not much organization, and the free activities were limited. The rooms are good. They are quiet and comfortable. The house alcohol is cheap. However, if you ask for a shelf brand, they will pour it. The pool and beach towels are small (only one per person). I recommend you bring a few big ones.
Staying in an all-inclusive resort can be monotonous and feel the same from resort to resort. I suggest you get off the property a few times. I recommend renting motor scooters for a few hours. Drive into Playa Del Carmen and walk 5th Avenue. Then, drive around the city. I also recommend renting car and driving to Chitzen-Itsa. The drive is interesting. Stop in Valladolid and walk around the square.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Superior, Colorado
Reviewed June 29, 2004

Just got back. Was there from June 21-28. The hotel was absolutely beautiful. Everywhere you went on the grounds was very clean. Wait staff was excellent, always smiling and friendly. Food was great! Buffets change everyday and have a different theme each night. Ate at the Carribbean and the Steak restaurants and both were very good. Pool was never crowded even though the hotel was at capacity. The beach was great and the waters were surprisingly warm. We really liked that the pool was so close to the beach and we didn't have to walk far. I would suggest however, if your building is close to the entertainment and jungle area and you are a light sleeper to take earplugs. We were in building 15 which is on the corner of both and you can hear the entertainment till midnight and the roosters start crowing at 4 a.m. Also take plenty of sunscreen. If you run out it will cost you a whopping $13-$16 a bottle. Prices on most everything is higher there then in the states. Everyone took US $$ which was nice. Taxi to Playa del Carmen was $4 from the hotel and $10 to Xcaret.
We tipped the maids and had towel art everyday as suggested from other reviews. The lobby bar was the best and made the best drinks. The employees you will notice work from morning to midnight. I don't know when they sleep. Even the people running the water activities during the day are in the shows at night. Never once did we see anyone (personnel) that wasn't smiling or saying hello. We wanted to bring them back with us. I have never stayed at a hotel as impectable as this one. We wanted to extend our trip and we will definetely be back!! I would highly recommend this hotel to everyone.

3 Thank cieralisk
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 29, 2004

Just returned from Iberostar Tucan at Playacar and I can honestly say that it is the best hotel we have ever stayed in. We have been on many all inclusive holidays in the caribbean and no where comes close to this place!

The hotel itself is amazing, split into two sides, the Tucan and the Quetzal. The grounds are like a jungle with tropical birds, iguanas, monkeys etc. The whole hotel is decked with marble floors and thatched roofs and it is spotless throughout.

The rooms are huge with big bathrooms and nice furniture, if you can get a beachfront or poolside room them do it because the views are amazing. The beach is by far the best I have seen and the pool is a huge lagoon with jacuzzi, fountains and a separate adults only swim up bar pool. You get waiter service by the pool and on the beach so you dont even have to move to get a drink!

The food is great, loads of choice in the buffet with show cooking every night and as many fajitas as you can eat! Again, excellent waiter service. The A La Carte restaurants are great with a good choice on the menus, there are four A La Cartes in total and we thought that the steakhouse was the best.

The bars are well stocked with premium brand drinks and a full menu of cocktails. Watch out for the tequila though because it is lethal, the Mexicans drink it like water so they like to watch us Brits choke when we try to down shots of the stuff!

The entertainment team are excellent with a full programme of events through the day and great live shows at night, the best entertainment we have ever had.

In Playacar/Cancun there are lots of trips to do, I would recommend swimming with the Dolphins, speedboats at Cancun and Xcaret which is a big ecological park with everything from dolphins to exotic plants and butterflys. Playacar town is four dollors away in a taxi and has lots of shops bars and restaurants, even a MacDonalds for those who are craving a taste of home! From the town you can get a ferry to the Island of Cozumel which is also worth a visit. Senor Frogs is a great party bar where they serve cocktails in yard glasses, most tour operators offer a night out there.

All in all this was the best hotel and the best resort I have stayed in so far. The staff in the hotel love the Brits and they appreciate the odd tip for good sevice, although tips are not expected you cant help but give them a little extra.

The only negative point I can think of is the airport at Cancun. To warn you, they check all luggage by hand, yes by hand, no x-ray machines! This is done on the way in and on the way out so it can delay you a bit at the airport. The immigration is very slow and queues are likely. Dont be put of by this though, only a minor point but I had to write something negative!

If you stay at this hotel you will not be dissapointed, great location, great food, great staff. The weather is fab and you will get the best tan! After seeing Cancun we were so glad we stayed in Playcar, to sum up Cancun in two words - Concrete City. Big hi-rise hotels and shopping malls, not what I would call authentic Caribbean.

They say 5 star in the brochure and I would give it 6 stars. I'm ready to go again next year!

7 Thank Gemstar19
Reviewed June 28, 2004

Amazing hotel! Gorgoeus. Perfect for our honeymoon!! Couldn't fault any part of it. Excellent food, service, views......!!!! Love it. Booking again for next year.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 28, 2004

Wow, I only wish I was there now, a fabulous resort. Myself, husband, and 2 children, ages 10 and 8, were at the hotel June 19-26. This is by far, the most beautiful resort I have seen, we were in building 1300, a short walk to the pool and beach, and a terrific view of the monkeys every morning, around 8:00am. Beware, the monkeys are VERY loud, and did wake us up, every morning but two, however we did not mind, as we loved watching them in the trees, and my kids thought it was terrific. The resort is full of animals, and you can see many by walking the pathways through the jungle, very pretty. If your not an animal lover, and don't care for the wildlife, this is not the resort for you, as there are numerous animals, and you will see and hear them daily. We actually loved the resort, a very relaxing atmosphere, and a true joy to watch the animals in their habitat. We stayed for 7 days, and got to eat at 2 al carte restaurants, the Italian, and the Mexican, both of which were excellent. A word of advice, make your reservations for the ala carte restaurants, right after you check in, as they book up fast, especially the steak house, which I heard was fabulous. The employees work extremely hard, they are always trimming trees, raking leaves, and mowing grass, and we found all of them to be very courteous. Please go see the shows in the evening, they are great, and they employees work hard on these shows, our kids really enjoyed the shows as well. The first 45 minutes of the show is geared towards the kids, and they have a blast dancing. Maracrus, Kelsi, and Linda who work the children's program are fantastic with the children, and do their very best to keep them busy and entertained. My kids did go to the kids club a few times, and really enjoyed it. I could go on and on, this was truely a vacation of a lifetime, that none of us will forget. We are planning on returning in March or April, and of course will only stay at the Iberostar Tucan!! So, if your considering this hotel, book it now, you will not be disappointed!!!

Reviewed June 28, 2004

My husband, 6 year old daughter, 2 year old son and I stayed at the Iberostar Tucan June 10th-17th. We had a wonderful time despite the fact that it rained (like a monsoon) for 4/7 days (there was a tropical depression in the area, which was unusual for the time of year, according to hotel employees.)

The hotel and grounds are beautiful and impeccably maintained. We really enjoyed the chickens, peacocks, guinea fowl and monkeys roaming the resort grounds. My son still talks about the "kee-cocks" daily and tries to make the sound the peacocks make (kind of like a cat meowing).

We were in building 15, which is pretty centrally located--quite close to both the pools AND the restaurants (which was very important during those days it monsooned!) The rooms are decent size and are very clean and the mini-bar was always well-stocked. My only complaint about the room was, as previously reported by other reviewers, that the beds are HARD. I like a firm mattress, but these beds are almost concrete-firm. My husband and I jokingly referred to them as "Fred Flintstone" or "prison" mattresses. We had a plumbing issue in our room, but it was rectified very quickly, to the hotel's credit.

The food was excellent! There was always something for everyone--even my picky 6 year old was always satisfied with something she liked to eat on the buffet. My kids REALLY loved that they could go to the pool bars and order an ice cream cone whenever they liked. That was a nice touch!

We had no problem getting "our spot" every day--my husband went down to the pool with our pool toys, etc. at about 7:00am every morning and we always got the same spot--under the largest palapa, right between the Massage palapa and the pool bar, right in front of the zero depth pool area. This was the PERFECT spot for families with young children, we found.

Perhaps our favorite thing about the resort was the service. We received excellent, friendly "service with a smile" from every employee we encountered. We have done a lot of traveling over the years and the service we received at the Iberostar Tucan was truly unsurpassed. I would highly recommend this resort without hesitation!

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
#7 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya
Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya
#40 of 209 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Iberostar Tucan Hotel? Share your experiences!