“Loved loved loved it!”

Iberostar Tucan Hotel
Ranked #47 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed April 11, 2014

We stayed mid March for 2 weeks after recommendation from our friends and I can’t praise or recommend this hotel enough – our stay was fantastic!

We emailed the hotel prior to our stay to request a top or middle floor room in blocks 11 or 12 and they met this request well with a top floor room in block 12 which was ideally located, right by the pool and a minute to the beach. The hotel is in a lovely safe area and the Playacar community is gated so you feel safe walking around. There’s a shopping mall under 10 minutes walk from the hotel (to the right when you leave the hotel) which had loads of shops, a travel agency and a Starbucks. Plenty of things to buy for gifts and souvenirs!

The hotel has a jungle like area in the middle between the Tucan and Quetzal sides – we regularly saw monkeys in the trees and I loved all of the agoutis – so cute! We even saw a couple of baby ones towards the end of our stay. There are also coatis (although harder to spot!), peacocks, flamingos, iguanas, tortoises, a black chicken, turtles, geese and swans. It was fun taking a walk and seeing what we could spot each day.

The room was cleaned well and things like the toiletries and the mini bar restocked daily – we loved the very creative towel art by the maid and had fun guessing what the animal of the day would be when we returned to our room in the evening.

All of the staff were so friendly and would always smile and say hello when passing. Everyone was really helpful and worked really hard. A big thanks to Gemma serving by the pool area, all of the pool servers work so hard getting everyone drinks all day long, we could have got up ourselves and gone to the bar but it was lovely being a bit lazy from time to time and getting such good service – I miss my late morning mojitos!

The beach was lovely, so clean and plenty of sunbeds and palapas available. You could walk to the right and after the next hotel be almost the only one in that area of the beach, which is much more secluded, or walk to the left along a lovely long stretch past all of the hotels to Playa del Carmen.

The pool area was also fantastic, with loads of sunbeds and plenty of shade. Yes the majority were usually reserved by 8am with no one on them for hours, but on the few days we came down closer to 9am there was always somewhere to sit with shade, so not a problem. The pool was the largest I’ve ever seen and was clean and well landscaped, with lots of entry points and a jacuzzi area in the middle and a fountain towards one end. There is also a small children’s pool, the pool area of the swim up bar (it was lovely having a cocktail in the sun here from time to time) and also the smaller sports pool which was sometimes used for water polo, pool volleyball and scuba lessons, but the rest of the time was free if you wanted a dip. It is located near the giant tortoise area where the iguanas all hang out and we used to go there each day just to see what was about!

The food was amazing, with so much variety and choice each day. I especially loved the guacamole which I had with something at most meals, the grilled fish and also the tortilla soup. We got 5 reservations at the a la carte restaurants for our 2 week stay but there was no problem requesting additional reservations – we loved the steak house and Japanese restaurant best so went back there, and basically alternated between a night at the buffet restaurant and then one at an a la carte restaurant. We preferred the buffet on the Quetzal side for our breakfasts and dinners as there was more wildlife to be seen and the scenery was more spectacular, but went to the Tucan side for lunch which was just as good. We also sometimes had breakfast at the beach seafood restaurant and lunch at the Steakhouse, which were open during the day in a more buffet style. If you wanted more choice and the amazing Mexican tacos with fried eggs and refried beans and cheese, then the main buffet areas were best for breakfast. There is also a burger/hot dog station at the beach and an ice cream stand with several interesting flavours each day so you can grab a quick snack if you need to. And the self-service soft drinks area at the beach bar was really useful.

The Star Friends were amazing – such a fantastic group of people who really made our holiday. They have so much energy and enthusiasm for everything they do, and work so hard, from greeting people at breakfast in the mornings to all of the different activities throughout the day (I especially loved aqua aerobics, zumba on the beach and water polo!) and also all of the evening entertainment and shows. We especially liked the magic show, boogie nights and Mr Iberostar. They felt like friends by the end of the holiday and we really miss them! A big shout out to Angie, Ari, Karlos, Mauricio, Andres, Adriana, Bluee and all the team – Animacion Excellente!

Carlos our First Choice rep was also fantastic, so friendly and helpful and also happy to provide info on how to visit places ourselves – we went to Tulum one day which was easy to do ourselves, a few minutes taxi ride into Playa del Carmen and then a local bus (more like a coach) for about an hour to Tulum, which stopped en route briefly at places like Xplor and Xcaret. We also went to Xpor on our last day which was a 10 minute taxi ride away and had a great day there on the ziplines and amphibious vehicles – lots of fun!

So to sum up this was one fantastic holiday, and we’re already talking about returning next year. I miss our holiday here every day and can’t wait to return!

Room Tip: Blocks 11 and 12 are in a great location, close to the pool, beach and some restaurants.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
5  Thank 21Jo
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Tucan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2014

Estimated guest,

Thank you so much for your review, we are thrilled to read your nice compliments on our resort and staff, it was a great honor to have had the chance to serve you and your family.

We are glad that we were able to provide you a great vacation experience, it is great to know that you enjoyed our grounds with all the Mexican fauna that lives in our premises, our restaurants and buffets and the pool and beach areas.
We are happy to know that you had a blast with the activities provided by our entertainment team.

Be sure that your great remarks to our staff and especially to Gemma, Star Friends: Angie, Ari, Karlos, Mauricio, Andres, Adriana and Blue will be forwarded to them.

Once again, thank you for sharing your vacation experience. It would be a pleasure to welcome you back again at our beautiful resort IBEROSTAR Tucan & Quetzal in the heart of Riviera Maya.

Reviewed April 11, 2014

This is a great and clean hotel. Had a great time, the staff was wonderful. They were always busy. First I will start off with the beach, I really don't think you could find a better beach any where. If I stayed in the beach all day any one could. The water was so warm you could walk right in. I loved it. Now the pool, they open it at 7 a.m. And they close it at 7p.m. If I wasn't at the beach I was in the pool. Love the water. The breakfast buffets was great, so was the lunch buffet. The dinner buffet was not as good so try a get reservations for the ala carte Resturants. We ate at the Itialian had lamb chops and saltmbuca that were both very good. The Japanese was nice and the steak house was O.K. But you will never have trouble finding food in this place there is always something open, even late into the night. I loved this hotel and I will be going back.

Room Tip: Stayed in the 1700 building very quiet. We slept like a log.No loud animal on our side.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
5  Thank luvsunnydays

Estimated guest,

We are very happy that you had a great time at our resort and that you are willing to come back. Thank you for your review, we highly appreciate our guests’ opinions and suggestions and we always take them into consideration for our constant improvements.

We look forward to welcoming you back again in our beautiful resort IBEROSTAR Tucan & Quetzal.

Reviewed April 9, 2014

Our family of four (2 boys ages 12 and 8), just got back from a 7 day stay at Iberostar Tucan. This was our 5th time to Mexico in 6 years. We never stay at the same place because we love to check out different hotels and beaches. Here is my review:

Check In:
Our check in was hassle free. But, we ran into several families that told us their check in took hours and the desk was understaffed. But, we were happy with our check in. And our room was in the perfect place. 1100 building is close to pool, beach and buffets. Away from the jungle,which has a lot of animal noises in the morning.

Beach:
This was the best beach we have ever stayed on. Loved that we were in Playacar. I have never felt UNSAFE in Mexico, but this gated community was very nice and I felt very comfortable letting my kids have a little independence. The week we were there it was too windy to do any snorkeling, but the kids really enjoyed the crashing waves and got some tubes and my husband hung onto the tubes as they went for giggly rides on the crashing waves. That was their favorite thing all week.

Pools:
Our stay was toward the end of Spring Break season. We had a couple crazy kids partying, but it wasn't anything we were uncomfortable with our kids being around. This was partially due to the fact that the swim up bar was separate front he main pool. We almost didn't know it was there. i only visited it once when it was quiet. The pool is huge and there are two areas where it is zero entry. One larger than the other. The water was the perfect temperature and they had people cleaning it almost all day.

Star Friends "Animation Team"
They were very good. Not obnoxious and only asked once or twice to participate and then left you alone. Maricio, was unbelievable. I found out that he has been there 10 years. He started as a towel boy handing out beach towels and now is one of the leaders. He works very long hours and I think only gets one day off a week. He leads aerobics and rumba in the hot sun and is a major participant int he evening activities as well. He is pure joy! Amazing smile that bursts with love. i was happier the instant I saw him every day. We also really enjoyed the time we spent with Balthazor (I hope I got his name right, from Oregan originally) - he has only been there a month, but he was so entertaining and fun - especially during disco day/night.

Food:
In the 5 times i have been to Mexico, I have learned the buffets are what they are. They have some decent things, but how creative can you get serving hundreds of people every day. I liked th hamburger/hot dog/ice cream stand. It was nice to have a taste of home. I also liked that every day they had an option with iceberg lettuce salad bar, gave you a healthy option. Breakfasts were fine. Same as any resort we've been to. The restaurants were very good. We loved the Japanese Hibachi - so delicious and entertaining. We also enjoyed the Mexican and Italian. We didn't get reservations at the Steak House or the Caribbean place so I can't comment. I never really go to Mexico for the food, so I'm never disappointed, it is what it is. I am there for the sun, beach, pool and to unplug from my busy world.

WORK OUT/GYM
I would say this was my biggest disappointment. With all the eating and drinking, my husband and I do like to work out when we go to Mexico. We realize we have to go early because even in air conditioned places, it gets stuffy by late morning. But, this place was extra hot because it was not air conditioned (as far as I could tell). Also, only 3-4 treadmills and 2 elliptical. small area for weights. I went twice. I normally like to get thee at least 5 of the 7 days. I just couldn't handle the heat even at 8:00 in the morning.

MAID SERVICE:
It was fine. It usually came late int he afternoon, but it was fine. They restocked the fridge with lots of water (and beer, but we didn't need that restocked). I would have liked to have some snacks. Some places we were at leave small bags of chips. Instead, we just grabbed apples in the morning at the buffet. That was fine and healthier!

ROOMS:
We stayed in a room with 2 queen sized beds. It was similar to a hotel room, but had a nice patio with place to sit and also a hanger for your wet suits and towels. It was fine. The beds were more comfortable than other resorts we have been too, but still very firm -a little too firm. We don't come to Mexico for the room. We were happy with it.

Playa Del Carmen: We did take a cab to Playa to see our friends who were staying in a condo in the city. That was a fun experience. $7 cab ride. Nice dinner and walked the shops a bit.

DRINKS: We are usually pretty good drinkers on vacation, but this time with the kids and the fact we couldn't work out like we wanted to, we didn't go too heavy. I get a little sick of the fu fu drinks the syrup is too rich for me. But we had a few. Margaritas were good. We also liked the Superman. The kids had walk up soda service..so anytime they wanted a drink they just got it themselves. I love a good glass of wine at night. The wine they serve at any of the restaurants "house" is not great. If you want good wine you will need to pay for a bottle. We never did, but I did crave a good glass of wine. Especially on Italian night. Oh well, should have bought a bottle.

EVENING ENTERTAINMENT:
starts at 9:30..and we were pretty exhausted by then. But, it was okay. We had the most fun at 70's and 80's disco night. The entertainment was very good. Also they had a karaoke night which was okay. The rest were fine. Again, typical of other hotels we've been to and NOT the reason we come.

INTERESTING (not good/not bad, but interesting)
The signs on the doors to the buffet restaurants say that you should wear shoes as well as clothing to cover your bathing suit. This is the standard at every hotel we've stayed at in Mexico. We were surprised this was not enforced. People were barefoot, in bikini's, speedo's etc. Was just a little weird. Every other place we have stayed at enforced that rule.

Also interesting, The concept of this place is open everything - sort of keeping one with nature. So there are monkeys, peacocks and other animals all over the place and a jungle that you can walk through to get to the main lobby and eating area- that is pretty cool. But, because of this, there is almost NO place where you can get an air-conditioned space unless you go to your room. The private restaurants are, but the lobby, gym, buffets, bars, etc are all just fans and a little cross wind.

All in all the little things that we thought were "interesting" were not bad (except the gym). My husband and I agreed that even though we normally do like to go to different resorts each year, this is one that we would consider coming back to . There was nothing "MAJOR" that affected our vacation. We had a blast and recharged our battery on one of the most beautiful beaches in the world

Thank You Iberostar Tucan!

Room Tip: Building 1100 was great. i would say 1200 would be fine too. We were on Tucan side.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
5  Thank StephToe
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Tucan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2014

Estimated guest,

On behalf of the General Management of IBEROSTAR Tucan & Quetzal we would like to thank you for your review and suggestions, it was a honor to have had the opportunity to serve you and your family.

We are very happy that you enjoyed our service, facilities and our food, specially our a la carte restaurants. You can be sure that your fine compliments to our entertainment team will be forward to them, Mauricio and Baltazar will be thrilled to see that their work has been recognized.

We are sorry to read that the gym did not meet your expectations, we would like to take this opportunity to clarify that the gym has an air conditioning system; however we will forward your comments to our Staff in charge of verifying this.

Regarding the dress code in our restaurants please accept our sincere apologies; this matter has been forwarded to our Manager and we are seriously evaluating the situation.
Hopefully you and your family will consider to come back to our resort at the beautiful Riviera Maya.

Kind regards,

Reviewed April 9, 2014

Just returned from a wedding here and I would highly recommend this resort. The rooms are clean and spacious. The housekeeping staff kept our rooms super clean and tidy. They also stocked the mini bar with more aqua or cerveza, depending on preference. The pool is huge and beautiful. The beach is clean and well maintained, and absolutely gorgeous. Chair saving is a bit of a problem, so get up early and put a towel and a magazine on a few.
Staff were excellent and we had really great service.
My only complaints are about the restaurant reservations. Make sure you get your reservation scheduled as soon as you check in. They seemed to give earlier times to the new arrivals. The Japanese Hibachi grill and Steakhouse were great. The buffet has good enough food, but we were easily tired of the same things after a few meals.

Also, if you are a light sleeper, bring earplugs or a sound machine. The monkeys and a horny peacock kept us up quite a bit.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Iberostar
1  Thank Jori0126
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Tucan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 14, 2014

Dear guest,

On behalf of the General Management of IBEROSTAR Tucan & Quetzal we would like to thank you for staying with us during your vacations.

We appreciate your compliments on our staff, rooms and restaurants.

Regarding the sun beds please accept our apologies for any discomfort that this matter may have caused and we would like to take this opportunity to inform you that we have purchased extra sun beds to ensure that all guests have a spot at the swimming pool or at the beach, we have also implemented the policy of not reserving sun beds by placing signs to inform our guests about this. In addition, we have a pool concierge to assist our guests to find a sun bed whenever required.

Regarding the restaurant reservations we would like to clarify that you are entitled to a certain amount of guaranteed reservations (4 nights 1 reservation, 5 to 6 nights 2 reservations and from 7 to 9 nights 3 reservations), these reservations are based on availability and you are able to reserve them in advance with our public relations department. However, we are glad that you enjoyed our buffet and you comments will be forward to our Chef in order to look for improvements.

Thank you for your insightful review, and hopefully we will have the chance to welcome you back again at our IBEROSTAR Tucan & Quetzal in the beautiful Playa del Carmen.

Reviewed April 8, 2014

Pros: Semi wild animals all over, lots to do, big pool, nice beach area, excellently maintained grounds, wonder staff

Cons: Food marginal at best, drinks are simply not good, place is HUGE which means crowded areas and no quiet areas, if you're not up by 6:30, all the chairs by the pool are taken, only 1 pool, not enough staff to accommodate all the visitors.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank John P

Dear guest,

On behalf of the General Management of IBEROSTAR Tucan & Quetzal we would like to thank you for your review.

We appreciate your fine compliments to our grounds, beach and pools. It is great to know you enjoyed the interaction with the natural wild life that surrounds us and that our staff did their best to serve and accommodate you.

We are sorry to read that our food and drinks did not meet your expectations, our Chef is always looking to offer a wide variety of dishes made with fresh ingredients and for our drinks, our bartenders use fine spirits and some fresh fruits of the season.

We would like to take this opportunity to inform that we have just purchased some more sun beds to ensure that all guests get to enjoy this service, plus, we have also assigned a pool concierge that will gladly assists our guests to find a sun bed whenever required. We apologize for the inconvenient, you can be certain we are working to create awareness about this upon check in and we have placed signs to inform our guests that it is not allowed to reserve sun beds.

Thank you for your review, this will help us make improvements and enhance our guests’ vacation experience.

Reviewed April 8, 2014

I am an amputee, left leg above the knee, and use a wheelchair at night. There is only one building with accessible rooms, it is located in the back of the property near the entrance. The patio overlooked the parking lot next door. The bell boys would take us close to the beach and pool in a golf cart, but it still required some walking. In the middle of the resort, there is a jungle, full of Howler monkeys and other birds and animals. The path in the center of the jungle is cobblestone-like and very uneven. Not accessible by wheelchair and very difficult otherwise.
The swim-up bar is not accessible with 15-20 steps down, separated from the larger pool.
The food was mediocre. Regardless, we still enjoyed the beautiful beach!

Since we paid as much for our room as my friends did, whose balconies overlooked the jungle or the pool, I requested a reduction in our room rate. We paid $1,800 each/week. After weeks of waiting, the Iberostar finally denied the request. Bad experienced made worse by their lack of understanding as well as mine.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank Sue M

Estimated Guest,

We would like to thank you for your review regarding your experience at our IBEROSTAR Tucan & Quetzal resort.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconveniences that you may have encountered at our resort; allow us to comment you that the information about our hotel and its facilities, as well as the accessible areas are provided to all tour operators and it can be provided to our guests prior to their arrival in order to assist them with the proper guidance about our services.

We would like to mention that the accessible rooms are strategically located near the lobby, main restaurants, bellboys and reception to offer any assistance necessary our guests might require. We regret that the information about our hotel`s accessibility was not addressed to you properly. Our staff is always willing to coordinate efforts to offer our guests the best options available.

We understand the importance of these requirements; we therefore try to deliver the correct information in order to avoid any dissatisfaction. We invite you to stay in touch with our hotel representatives for future references about our accessible services; it will be a pleasure to assist you if you give us a future opportunity.

Reviewed April 7, 2014

My family of 6 just returned from staying on the Tucan side. Marcela at the front desk was fabulous, but like others have said, they are highly understaffed. We had two rooms in building 11. Nice beds, clean and close to the beach. However, the first night the music was so loud, it shook the room. Boomba! For hours. I called the next morning and they said it was not coming from the resort, but I just read that it may have been from the entertainment.....far from our room. I also heard it the last few days of our trip... But not as loud. The food was fine. Nothing special and no tummy troubles which was huge for us after going to Dominican last year in a group where everyone had an issue. The smoking on the beach was terrible. Many Europeans who chain smoke all day long.
My husband did have to wake up early to reserve chairs as we are a fair skinned family. We didn't feel like we had a choice.
The groups of spring breakers was disappointing. I thought the hotel said no spring breakers? The parents were just as drunk as the kids.
The resort is beautiful but it was very crowded and full of interesting characters. At times I felt like I was on a Carnival cruise. LOTS of tattoos!
Full body!
My biggest issue, that no one has ever mentioned, is the feces on the path to the lobby and buffet that was NEVER cleaned. It must have been from the monkeys? Yikes! When it was dark people had no idea they were tracking right through it. Very unsanitary.
Otherwise it's a beautiful small hotel and kids can roam without worry.
We may have hit a bad week.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Lakegirlindianapolis

Dear guest,

We appreciate your fine remarks regarding our rooms and food, be sure we will share your compliment with Marcela.

We would like to take this opportunity to apologize for any discomfort you may have experienced during your stay. We work hard to provide our guests´ with the best experiences.

We would like to mention that we are working to solve the sun beds reserving issue, we have placed signs and we are informing our guests upon check in to please do not reserve them.

We regret to read about your discomfort with the smoking on the beach, unfortunately in Mexico it is allowed to smoke in open areas.

Please accept our sincere apologies regarding the path ways to the lobby, we will share this with our cleaning staff to ensure every area is cleaned up to standard.

We appreciate your comments and we look forward to serving you again at our IBEROSTAR Tucan & Quetzal in the beautiful Riviera Maya.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
#16 of 21 in Akumal
The Reef Coco Beach
The Reef Coco Beach
#103 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Iberostar Tucan Hotel? Share your experiences!