7,182 results
All reviewsstar friendshowler monkeysjungle areaspecialty restaurantsswim up bardressel diversjapanese restaurantate at the japanesetowel hutpool beachgated communityother resortsemailed the hotelplenty of chairsmagic showcab rideapple vacations
Reviewed March 9, 2014

Fabulous location, beautiful beach and great staff! Tips -if you want to be near the ocean, ask for bldgs. 10 or 11.Ocean view and minimal monkey chatter. Know that you will now be on opposite end of resort, away from the main lobby, some restaurants and main bar. Clean rooms - no elevators. Minimal night life as no bars/social areas outside in beach/pool area which is too bad as the ocean sounds are peaceful and stars are abundant.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Iberostar
4  Thank 1Chloegirl
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Tucan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2014

Dear Guest,

On behalf of the General Management of IBEROSTAR Tucan & Quetzal, we thank you for having taken some of your valuable time to share your nice travel note sent on TripAdvisor.

Your feedback provides us a positive feedback in our guest satisfaction and quality service. We are very happy to know that you enjoyed our resort, our services and location.

We will be very pleased to welcome you in a next visit.

Kind regards,

IBEROSTAR Mexico

Reviewed March 9, 2014

this was the 2nd visit for my daughter and i and it was as good as the first time we went 4 yrs ago.yes the rooms are a little basic but we only use it as a base to sleep in.everything worked.love the beach and the pool is huge.always got a sunlounger ( not sad enough to get up at 6 lol ) the staff are amazing.dont know how they keep going tn that heat and are very pleasant ( with or without tipping ) food is good with plenty of choice and if the drinks arnt strong enough ask for a double.went to a the mexican,italian,japanese and the steakhouse al la cartes.enjoyed them all.my daughter got married on the 28th feb on the beach.it was stress free and beautiful,big thanks to alexandra who organized it and helping us when we 4got underskirt for the dress,your a star.it was my partner, family and friends first time there and they also love it. :-)

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank cathymaddo

Dear Guest,

On behalf of the General Management of the IBEROSTAR Tucan & Quetzal, we want to thank you for choosing us to have a wonderful holyday for a second occasion, and to celebrate your daughter’s wedding at our premises.

We are glad to know that you were able to enjoy our services.

We specially want to thank you for your positive compliments to our team members and our wedding coordinator Alejandra. She had the honor to plan every detail regarding your daughter’s wedding with attention and quality.

Your review will definitely help other potential Bride and Grooms considering IBEROSTAR Tucan & Quetzal as their venue so thank you once again for sharing your impressions, we appreciate them very much.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our tropical hotel in the near future.

Kind regards,

IBEROSTAR Mexico

Reviewed March 8, 2014

Our family of 6 just came back from Iberostar Tucan vacation. We absolutely had great time!
This is our second time at the place, and hopefully not the last.
The greatest attraction in the hotel for us is the jungle. The kids loved walking through it, and sighting the animals and birds. Besides, the jungle gives a shade which is very welcome midday.
The second attraction is the beach. It is rather wide, with soft sand and flat profile good for the kids. There are waves, though, but the water is crystal clear and does not go deep for quite some time.
The food is pretty good. It can get repetitive at the beach grill, but understandably so. I loved their cold soups, every day a new and more delicious one! The main buffet is very good with huge variety any time of the day. Of the specialty restaurants we only tried Japanese, as I expected a show at the hibachi table - it was disappointing on both performance and the food too.
The playground is small. My kids lost interest in it in the first 15 minutes. There is a small kids pool and a huge adult pool. The kids club is so-so, most of the time the kids were either in front of the TV or at the pool. The kids LOVED mini-Disco at 8 pm nightly - it was a great way for them to wrap up the day. The hotel also has a clown on staff who makes balloon toys for the kids - you can check his schedule at the reception.
This time we missed the shows, other than the magic show, which was pretty good.
The staff goes out of the way to make your stay enjoyable. You are greeted every morning by very friendly Andreas who can fill you in on daily activities. The waiters quickly learn your preferences, and on the second day your table gets arranged the way you prefer, with drinks ready as soon as you appear. Mauritius seems to remember everyone's name - he is one of the Star Friends who is involved in multiple activities. The photographer team is very professional and great to work with.

Room Tip: Rooms facing lawn are quieter. Building 13 has the best proximity to the playground and kids pool.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank ksu-ny

Dear Guest,

We want to express our gratitude for your words of appreciation on behalf of our resort and its services and for remaining in your preference for a second consecutive visit with your family.

We gladly receive your review with great pleasure as it pictures the great time you have enjoyed in our resort during your holidays.

Thank you for your nice concepts regarding our tropical forest. We kindly inform you that our company promotes a culture of appreciation to nature as a way to preserve our natural resources and protect the fragile ecosystem where our resort stands. We are happy to know that your children have enjoyed this area!

We also thank you for your esteem to our entertainment, gastronomy and our beautiful beach. Our privileged location, grants us to be a preferred choice for many travelers worldwide.

Thank you for recommending IBEROSTAR Tucan & Quetzal to other Trip Advisor traveler’s. We look forward to your next visit!

Sincerely yours,

IBEROSTAR México

Reviewed March 8, 2014

Have just returned from a 14 night holiday here. Starting with the room which was very basic on the third level which is the top floor. Quite quiet overlooking one of the restaurants. Dated and old fashioned, in need of renovation. Bathroom with shower no bath, there was a hairdryer but the plug had been taped around. Our safe (free) didn't work for 3 days but was eventually fixed. Room had tea and coffee making facilities along with a very dirty fridge containing beer, bottled water and sodas which was restocked every other day. The room had a musty smell which unfortunately transferred to our clothes. Not masses of storage space but maybe I just overpack! There were also loose floor tiles and a wall socket. Bedding and towels changed regularly.
Although there are really plenty of sun beds and umbrellas both around the pool and on the beach, you really need to be up early to bag a prime spot, sadly by 6am. There are notices to say they can't be reserved but no one enforces this. All are free and you can also borrow a mobile parasol from the towel bar to use on the beach.
The food was generally good, lots of choice and 5 themed restaurants that you can book a maximum of 6 times if staying for 2 weeks. I agree with 'jack000' previous review regarding these.
Drink quality I found to be poor, didn't manage to find a cocktail I actually liked. They contained very little alcohol!!! The wine was dreadful but got used to it.
The hotel has alot of wild life, iguanas, monkeys, agoutis and peacocks all roaming wild which was wonderful. Totally disagreed with the hotel photographers wondering round with toucans (wings clipped), parrots and iguanas in the heat wanting to take photographs of you with them. When I challenged this I was told they need to pay to feed them!!
A taxi into town cost us from the hotel 100 pesos. Playa del Carmen very vibrant, dined in a traditional Mexican restaurant called the La Cueva Do Chango at the end of 5th Avenue which was good and reasonably priced. Dined at a restaurant as recomended on Trip Advisor called the Pavo Real about a 20 minute taxi drive from hotel which is an absolute must - I have reviewed this separately.
Day trip to Chichen Itza was fab, well worth the money - very commercial though.
Word of warning, maybe coincidence - on a couple of occasions, ie booking a trip at the hotel and using the doctor based in the hotel, we initially offered a major credit card for payment which was rejected and we were asked to pay cash. On both occasions the machine wasn't working. Funny how when we explained we didn't carry large amounts of cash a machine was found that actually worked!!
We only took Mexican pesos, think they would have prefered dollars. The lowest note was a 20. The waiting staff I feel expect to be tipped which for us UK visitors, are not especially used to doing in European 'All Inclusive' resorts.
Due to the proximity of the resort to the USA and Canada there are lots of guests from here. Don't bother to take any 'special' dresses as no one seemed to dress for dinner which was disappointing for us. The no shorts at dinner policy is not enforced, even in the themed restaurants.
This said we did have a good time. All the staff were very friendly and hard working. There was lots to do in the day and a show every night although we didn't take advantage of this.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Nicola H

Dear Guest,

On behalf of the Management of IBEROSTAR Tucan & Quetzal, we want to thank you for your detailed comments on our resort that always help us to maintain the quality of services that guests like you deserve.

Thank you for your cordial and punctual comments on the points that you kindly suggest we need to keep improving such as our gastronomy, beverages and room appliances. We welcome them with great appreciation to review them in detail with the departments involved.

Regarding the cleanliness of your room and the damages found, we would like to take the chance to mention that all our facilities follow a maintenance standard roll in order to try to keep our areas and rooms impeccable. However, we apologize for this inconvenience and you can be sure your feedback will be shared with our staff.

We kindly inform you that due to our location in a tropical area next to the ocean, moisture could be higher at certain times. For that reason, we are constantly monitoring our accommodations in accordance to our quality control procedures to prevent this inconvenience could affect our beloved guests’ comfort.

Regarding the birds that our photographers promote as souvenir for our guests, we kindly inform you that every wildlife is been treated with respect and with all the environmental updated licenses as protected species. Pictures are optional and are an independent service not related to our all inclusive plan, but incomes are not related to feed the birds, but used for their care and health requirements. We are sorry for the misunderstanding.

On the other hand, we are much honored with your kind words on behalf of our team members for the hospitality and kindness they shared with you and for your appreciation with our tropical forest that represents fauna and flora of the Riviera Maya.

We wish you might consider giving us another opportunity to host you in the near future to experience all the positive changes made based on our guests recommendations with the intention of enhancing our facilities.

Sincerely yours,

IBEROSTAR México.

Reviewed March 8, 2014

My friends and I stayed here for a week in Feb. If you have any doubts, toss them away!
I looked on TA before we left and saw a few bad reviews, but I don't agree at all.
And I am VERY picky. Too picky according to my friends.
These people would do anything to make your stay fantastic, and if your stay wasn't, you must not have contacted anyone about your problem.
The food is wonderful(a big surprise to me bc I have been going to RM from before it was RM).
The beach is gorgeous, pool beautiful, and one restaurant is right on the beach. Crystal clear water, big waves when I was there-not what I want bc I have a hard time getting in and out of the undertow but they even helped me with that!!! (I am old-69 and not real steady.)
Rooms were great-running out of adjectives here.
I screwed up the in room safe numbers a couple of times and right away someone was there to fix it. (If I had known how to reset an incorrect number I would not have had to call). But they did it and did it gracefully, as they do all things there.
Maintenance was wonderful, rooms spotless.
Shows-I usually skip them at these resorts but decided to try. Wow!!! 14 different ones. 99.99 percent fantastic. One I personally didn't care for. Don't miss them.
Staff would do anything for you.
The entertainment people treat you like family and are adorable. I would name names but am afraid I'd leave someone out. There are so many activities!
If I had a complaint it would be that the guests there are greedy about the palopas. One had to go very early and "save" chairs, with towels. Since I don't have a better way, I can't complain and this certainly isn't the hotel's fault. There are plenty of them and to have any more would cloud the view of the beach. I do think guests there are greedy and put towels on chairs just in case they want to use them, but again……..
Hmmmm. What else.
I hate to post this bc I don'r want people to go there so I can always be assured of a room!!!!
Yes, there were a few times I was hot. The bar in the lobby is not particularly cool, and on a couple of occasions, I was hot in the restaurant. But again, 99.99 percent very comfy. (See what I mean?)
So, even though I don't want you to go, do it anyway. You'll be very pleased and if you are not, just notify someone!
Oh, I used to have on my list of things to take to Mexico-washcloths-took that item off bc didn't need them anymore(stayed in a condo and they had them) but IT is a little short on washcloths
so take some along. I never understood how Europeans and Central Americans washed without one but then I am picky!
Thank you Iberostar for a wonderful vacation!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
7  Thank allthebeaches
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Tucan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2014

Dear guest,

On behalf of the General Management of IBEROSTAR Tucan & Quetzal, we truly appreciate your kind comments and very wonderful review of your stay at our property located in the heart of the Riviera Maya.

We feel honored to read your appreciation about our quality services, the friendliness of our team members and the comfort you found in our accommodations.

Thank you once again for your comments. It would be a pleasure to welcome you and your friends back to our resort in the near future.

Warm regards,