“A few tweaks from greatness”

Iberostar Tucan Hotel
Ranked #47 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed January 8, 2014

My partner and I stayed at the Iberostar Tucan & Quetzal for xmas and New Year with our 8 year old daughter. Overall we had a wonderful time and would love to go back.
The architecture is lovely and the hotel has a very clam and relaxed feel as soon as you arrive.

First the positives;
the beach is amazing, with a crystal clear warm sea that is great to swim in. It can get a bit wild with the waves for very young children. However, there are always lifeguards on duty who do a fantastic job!

the entertainment team - work so hard to make sure everyone has a great time. If you want active its there, but you don't get hassled if you just wish to chill out. The evening shows were enjoyable, but I think they do need to select the participants for the pre show games more carefully to give more nationalities opportunities a chance to take part. We were there for 2 weeks and we were not asked once if we could like to join in? However, there were some families from the USA who were on the stage 3 nights running. the male singer seems to be given top billing - but the female singers are much better.

Mauricio, Adrianna, Ary and Andris all did a great job!
My daughter also attended the kids club and Blue did a wonderful job in making her feel welcome.It would be even better if the activities listed at certain times went ahead..ie one day she was desperate to go so she could join in the sandcastle building competition and then it didn't happen

Ewa and the whole reception team are wonderful. initially we had a room which was very noisy and for two nights had very disturbed sleep. (1829) Ewa did her best to move us as soon as it was possible.
Rebecca on guest services is also very proficient, and really cares about the customers. I watched her on the beach one day handle an argument between some customers and she remained very calm.

The first choice rep Carlos is a local and gave us the normal welcome talk - with a difference...he was positive, funny, accurate and did not try to oversell the products but gave us the information and allowed us to make the choice in our own time. He also sorted out a small issue on one of our trips very promptly and efficiently.

the food - in the main restaurant buffet (Cozumel) it is very good indeed. we have travelled extensively to all inclusives and I have to say this was by far the best for a buffet restaurant. The Japanese restaurant was also very good.

The drinks are varied and branded. A whole range of cocktails are on offer as well as draught lager, and very palatable wine.

The service - everywhere the service is fantastic from the waitresses who walk along the beach bringing you cocktails or the waiters in the restaurants. the only place this faltered was in the restaurant by the beach. If we went there to eat our lunch often went cold whilst we queued to get a drink.
The lobby bar also had a lengthy waiting time...one night we decided to go for a pre dinner drink and after 15 minutes of waiting we gave up.
a special mention for the guys at the beach bar - they work their socks off! I didn't think I would drink cocktails whilst sunbathing, but here it is the norm!

the xmas celebrations were excellent with the paella and sangria on the beach - what a wonderful atmosphere and so too was father xmas giving out the prezzies to the kids in the evening.

everywhere was spotlessly clean.

What we would change for next time.......

the kids menu in the themed restaurant is appalling - we wanted to try all the themed restaurants but I felt guilty as I knew that my daughter would not enjoy her dinner! I would suggest something like ....starter cucumber and sliced cold ham followed by chicken coated in breadcrumbs with sauté potatoes and frozen peas. the chocolate mousse she ordered needed to be cut with a knife and fork and was frankly inedible.

the themed restaurants in general were pretty poor - in particular the tropical restaurant - the worst meal of the holiday.
The steak restaurant was okay with really good bits of steak but the rest of the dinner was bland and let it down. the jacket potato wrapped in foil (very 1980's) tasted old.
The Italian restaurant was very basic and I can honestly say my own Bolognese sauce knocks spots off of the one I was served.
The choice of starters was also quite basic and unappealing in all the themed restaurants (except Japanese) However the big thing for us was the fact that apart from the Japanese we had to get up to serve ourselves at every meal..it would have been lovely to have had one meal where we were given a menu and could select our whole dinner and ate together as a family - rather than my husband sitting down with my daughter to eat whilst I was then wandering around the buffet table...

The most annoying thing for us was the lack of staff upholding the policies of the hotel - for example my hubby was told that he HAD to wear long sleeves and trousers in some of the restaurants and for the gala buffet meals and indeed we made the effort to dress up for the whole holiday. We found it very sad that some people went into the gala meals and a la carte restaurants wearing shorts, beachwear and t-shirts. It does not give the impression of a high class restaurant when people go to eat dinner in a hotel as if it is McDonalds! We are not upset that we did and other didn't as we would dress up anyway - it is the fact that it is clearly pointed out and then nothing is done to make clients adhere to it?

we were also concerned by the amount of sellers on the beach - we paid thousands of pounds to travel to a 4*+ hotel and were constantly annoyed by sellers.

Of course the inevitable saving of sunbeds goes on- despite the warnings everywhere that you are not allowed...so just the trousers in restaurants rule it is not upheld by the staff.

The final thing which upset not just us but many residents was on New Years eve when we arrived in the main theatre ( as we had done at 8pm every night) to find that a whole host of tables had reserved signs on. When I questioned this - I was told that 'some' customers had been given the opportunity of purchasing some wine which secured them their choice of table. What a nonsense! and will be the reason we will not be returning, despite the fact that we had a great holiday. when we looked around later the majority of the 'reserved' tables were occupied by Hispanic families......I do wonder when they approached clients to give them the opportunity of purchasing a bottle? It was a mistake - pure and simple and upset a good many people on the night.

This review may sound a bit negative but we truly had a great two weeks and with just a few tweaks it would be a definite on our list to return to.

The management provided a lovely flower arrangement and bottle of champagne in my room as I had a special birthday whilst I was there too - thank you.

Room Tip: Rooms nearer the beach are quieter - Get to know the entertainment team - they are a lovely bunch o...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank Tracey B
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Tucan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 27, 2014

Dear Tracey B,

First and foremost, we want to thank you for sharing your experience with us during your stay by the last Christmas and New Year’s season, and the quality time you have enjoyed at our resort Iberostar Tucan & Quetzal.

All your comments regarding our work team, in the areas of entertainment staff, kids club and hospitality desk, are so delightful. We ensure a memorable stay to our beloved guests through our guiding principles of offering an exquisite gastronomy, enjoying one of the best beaches around the world, and enjoy our natural landscape where you can appreciate our local flora & fauna.

We are sorry to hear that your experience and the dress code that was not followed by some of our last hour clients at the Gala Dinner. We assume that there was a last hour lack of communication in reservations, and the allowance of clients wearing casual clothes. We will certainly review these incidents, as this is not part of the experience we want to offer to our guests. We would like to mention that our guests are allowed to wear shorts in the a la carte restaurants now.

We also thank you for your suggestions about our Kids Menu in order to look for improvement and enhance the quality. We will certainly share your suggestions with our Executive Chef.

Your status as a costumer is highly valued; we would be privileged to see you in the near future.

There are newer reviews for Iberostar Tucan Hotel

Reviewed January 8, 2014

Just retuned from a weeks stay at Tucan. This our 4th stay at Iberostar, first at Tucan and my least favorite. Check in was not like before, no welcoming fruit drink and the woman checking us in got side tracked by a teenager who wanted info about her wifi, that could have waited. Asked 3 times before someone showed to repair my phone,which still did not work. So compared to my previous visits to Iberostar the front desk needs to keep on par with the other hotels. What bothered me most was housekeeping. Our last day We stayed in the room while the maid made our bed. I noticed she removed the sheets only to shake them then reverse them and put them back on the bed. Is this a new policy for all hotels??? I don't mind sleeping on the same sheets - I do it all the time at home -but reversing them in a hotel seems very unsanitary. Why not just make the bed by pulling up the sheets already there. On the plus side the rest of the staff gets very high marks. Love the location, beach is great. Hope they change the way they make up their beds.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank RDavis33514

Dear RDavis33514,

We regret any dissatisfaction incurred during your stay at our resort Iberostar Tucan & Quetzal, your comments were referred to our Management to review our standards and work on improving our services.

An apology for the lack of attention to your request regarding your check in and the amenities we should provide at the time we welcome you to our properties. Our staff is committed to a high standard and offers a personal service to ensure continuous customer satisfaction. When guests present their concerns, corrective actions are taken.

Regarding your comments about the changing of our sheets in your room, as we are taking part in several initiatives to minimize a negative impact in the environment, sheets and towels are usually changed every other day, as part of a permanent energy saving program in our area. At every room, we have an informative card regarding this important issue and we apologize for this inconvenience during your stay. Concerning the way the beds are done, we have passed your comment on to our Housekeeping Manager. Thank you for your observation.

Your status as a repeat costumer is highly valued; we would be privileged to see you in the near future in order for you to experience the improvements in our facilities and services that will be accomplished thanks to our guests’ feedbacks.

Reviewed January 8, 2014

This review is 6 months late, but better late than never!

Myself and my boyfriend and another couple stayed at the Iberostar Tucan for 2 weeks from 24th June - 10th July 2013. We travelled with Thomsons and we are aged between 19 and 23. During these two weeks, we had only one full day of rain and 2 half days (not much at all).
We are all keen travellers, however this was everyone’s first time to Mexico – to sum it up in short, we all had an absolutely amazing time!

The transfer from the airport was approximately 45mins – 1 hour once we were on the bus. Playa del Carmen is approximately half an hour south of Cancun, and there were 4 or 5 drop-off’s before we reached our hotel.

As soon as we reached the hotel, we were given a refreshing cocktail whilst we checked in, along with our All Inclusive wristband which you wear for the duration of your stay.
We had a standard double room for each couple, both situated near the pool area. The rooms had two double beds in each, a flat screen TV, big balcony and a mini bar that was filled every day. The room decor is traditional Mexican-style – some may argue it could do with being updated, but we found it was clean, comfortable and in-keeping with the resort.
The maids came round everyday and always cleaned our room to a high standard. We didn’t tip every day but when we did they were kind and appreciative. They also left cute animal-shaped towels on the beds which was a nice touch.

The hotel itself is so impressive; I do not know where to start!
The animals are a huge factor in this. There are parrots as soon as you go into reception, monkeys throughout the middle jungle area of the hotel (this jungle middle area connects to the pool/beach, entertainment stage, hotel room and reception/buffet area), toucans, big tortoises, coati's, agouti’s (lots of these) flamingos, swans, etc. – we even saw a small green snake from our balcony, courtesy of the hotel cat! If you love animals/wildlife, you will love this hotel.

The pool area is massive! It must have one of the biggest pools in Playacar (Google map it if you don’t believe me). Absolutely fantastic. They do some fun water activities in there (water zumba, and the run-across-the-carpet-across-the-pool game) – very entertaining to watch! There is also a specific activities pool where they do things such as water polo too.

The beach was gorgeous. It’s a massive stretch of sand – as Iberostar Tucan is second from the end, if you walked further right it was pretty much an empty stretch of sand. There was also some fish up that end of the beach too, so go and get a snorkel mask and have a look! (Buy your snorkels from Playa del Carmen supermarkets; they’re half the price of the ones in the hotel gift shops).

For an all-inclusive hotel, the food was very impressive. There was always lots of choice – even the pickiest eater would find something they like. It was good that one of the buffet hotels was open throughout the night too. The snack bars by the pool were my favourite – they did the best burgers/potato wedges/ice cream etc!

Room service was also good, we ordered a few times (included in hotel AI) which was nice when we just wanted to relax in the room and eat.

The Al a Carte options were really good, as we were there for 2 weeks we tried them all! You book your reservations via your room telephone or at the booth near the reception:
Japanese – personal favourite, we left this restaurant until our last week and I wish we hadn’t. The food was cooked right in front of you and it was so tasty! Highly recommend.
Steakhouse – another favourite! Steak was cooked exactly as requested and was very tasty!
Tropical – mainly fish dishes. Was okay but nothing stands out from memory.
Mexican – the food was no-where near as spicy as I expected, which was a good thing for us. But if you want traditional hot Mexican food, this may not meet your expectations.
Italian – overall nice! All the traditional Italian favourites included.

Entertainment – cannot fault Star Friends. They all made an effort to get to know you and would come around and ask if you wanted to take part. If you didn’t, they wouldn’t pester you which was polite too. As we were there for two weeks, we noticed the nightly entertainment was the same as the week before, which was a shame. Probably the only improvement I could give.

Location – highly recommend Playacar as a place to stay in the Riviera Maya. Playacar is a gated community so you feel very safe (lots of security) and it is a very short taxi ride from Playa del Carmen if you want to go shopping. The best part of the location is also that you are so near all the natural parks (see excursions below). If you are located in Cancun, it will take you a while to get to them (makes the longer transfer from Cancun airport worth it).

The excursions we did... :

CocoBongo – Playa del Carmen has their very own CocoBongo, and WOW what a show!! You must do this... it’s not just a nightclub, it is pure entertainment. We went Gold VIP with Thomsons so we had drinks all included. Just a recommendation – I would advise going Gold VIP but not through Thomsons. Thomsons had their own booth section which was great, but the seats were far back so everybody crowded around the balcony, thus so you couldn’t see anything. The normal Gold VIP had seats all around the balcony area , which looked more comfortable. Also, don’t make the rookie mistake I did and take your camcorder – they will keep hold of it until you leave, as you aren’t allowed to film in there (even though normal cameras were allowed – not sure how that makes sense when you can film on a camera, but hey-ho...). CocoBongo security will also take any medical tablets off you (e.g. paracetamol). You get them back at the end of the night but you aren’t allowed them on you in the club.

Crococun Zoo – this little gem was located in Puerto Morelos and made our trip! It is a lot cheaper compared to other parks and it only took a couple of hours. The guide took you around the whole park and told you so much cool information you would never know. Note that they rescue a lot of animals. We got to hold baby crocodiles and snakes, feed monkeys bananas and also feed some deer. We were all so impressed! Will take you a while to get there via taxi from Playacar but it was well worth it!

Xel-Ha – Our favourite park! This really is the ultimate eco-park. If I had to pick between this and X-Caret, it would be this one every time. The snorkelling activities are the main part of this and it was brilliant – I could talk about this forever, so I suggest you look this park up on Tripadvisor instead ! Be prepared for a lot of walking.

Xcaret Eco Park– good animal park with a lovely little beach. The best part was the little boat ride! Tripadvisor it if you like the sound of it, but again, would recommend Xel-Ha over this.

Overall, we would without a doubt stay at Iberostar Tucan again! Highly recommend for all families, friends and couples that are looking for a high-standard budget hotel. I definitely did not want to come home!

Thank-you so much Iberostar Tucan for a dream holiday!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
10  Thank Michaela_222

Dear Michaela,

With great pride we have read your comments regarding your summer two week stay at our resort Iberostar Tucan & Quetzal and the great time you and your friends experienced at the Riviera Maya area. To our staff it means a lot that their efforts to make guests feel at home do not go unnoticed, so your words acknowledging them are truly appreciated. The animation and maid staff will be very glad to read your comments.

Your feedback is very important to us, not only to rate the quality of our services, but to let other travelers to know about the main attractions of the area and some of the main highlighting points in the Riviera Maya.

We hope you give us the honor to be your host in your future vacations to the Mexican Caribbean; please let us know in advance if you visit us, so we will do all our best to keep making your holidays as beautiful and memorable as always!

Best regards,

Reviewed January 7, 2014

As a young student studying tourism management I know the importance of posting my pleasant experience my family and I had at the Tucan hotel. My family stayed at the Iberostar Lindo 9 years ago, which is not too far away from the Tucan. Although I was only 11 at the time we had a stiff memory of when we checked into the hotel and once we got to one of our two rooms booked, one of them was already occupied by guests. To my families amazement the exact same thing happened when we checked into the Tucan hotel. Luckily there was no physical person in the room we had been given keys to, just belongings.
When booking, my father asked for adjoining rooms. The real disappointment was when we went down to the front desk Jamie was unmoved by the fact he had just checked us into a room that was already occupied. Unfortunately, no other rooms were available in the same building so my parent's room and me and my sister's room were in separate buildings until Monday.
Monday we were switched to adjoining rooms which was a very nice set up and we appreciated Jamie's help from the front desk.
The food at the resort was great. The specialty restaurants were fantastic. We had an incredibly pleasent experience at the Japanese restaurant. I read other's reviews complaining that the food was the same everyday. Yes, it was with only a few variations. But there was so much food to choose from it was not at all a problem.
To our disappointment the blank pottery you can paint by the pool was not included in the all inclusive package. But once we tried painting them on a rainy day it was nice and they turned out absolutely beautiful. William and George who run the pottery were friendly and accommodating. My sisters and I gained a nice relationship with them throughout the week.
There was a very large pool and the free scuba lessons were very fun. Even in the extreme cold my sister and I tried it in.
I love nature and animals and this is most definitely the resort to stay in if you share the same passion as myself.
Although the photographers at the resort work for a separate company they enhanced my Iberostar experience. They brought around animals everyday (with the expection of the mayan people one day) and were constantly around if you were keen on having your photograph taken. They also brought around a "Happy New Years" sign and took pictures of every family/couple on new years eve. They were extremely friendly and joyous.
Overall, the staff were amazing at creating a personal connection. They were unbelievably friendly and welcoming. The same staff members are there from morning to night everyday so it created a familiar aspect to the large resort.
I one day hope to work for this amazing establishment and can't wait to hand in my application when the time is right!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
5  Thank Robyn N

Dear Robyn N,

On behalf of the General Management of the Iberostar Tucan & Quetzal, we personally appreciate your kind comments and beautiful concepts about our friendly staff, our cultural atmosphere, the natural environment and your personal memories regarding the time you spent with your family at our sister property Iberostar Paraiso Lindo when you were younger.

Your points of view are highly valued by all our staff as they are very inspirational and directed from your personal perspective.

Our company maintains a high quality standard level in the development of Sustainable Tourism. We follow international environmental and socio-cultural procedures that are verified by international programs such as Green Globe and others. They involve our permanent commitment to the protection of the local flora and fauna, and support our local communities. We feel very honored with your comments about your appreciation to our tropical forest and its fauna!

We expect to serve you as a reference for your professional career, and also to have the great opportunity to see you in our resorts Iberostar Tucan & Quetzal in the near future.

With our highest appreciation to you and your family,

Reviewed January 7, 2014

Background: This was our third trip to Mexico, the first in this hotel. Previously we had stayed in the Riveria Princess and Riu Palace (Puerto Vallarta). We don't drink alcohol so can't really provided any feedback on that portion of the experience.

Our trip was from Dec 15-21. We arrived in Cancun at 10am and were to the hotel by 11am. My wife requested an early check-in and a room by the monkeys. She also made early reservations for 2 different restaurants. Check in process was very painless. A cart was available to take us and our luggage to our room.

Room: The room was clean and tidy. We were given a 3rd floor room in building 13 and saw the monkeys most mornings. One morning we even had monkey feces on the balcony. Housekeeping did a good job and left a towel animal on the bed each day. The AC worked so well that we kept bumping it up all week. By the end of the week it was almost off altogether. The weather was only in the low to mid 80's all week so that contributed as well.

Food: Tucan has 5 exclusive restaurants. You can only reserve 2 in advance (3 if you stay 6 nights or more). We dined at all 5. While only 2-3 can be reserved in advance, you can jump into any open slots by stopping by the guest services counted from 4-8pm on that evening. Some nights we were limited to one or two locations with a 9pm seating. On less busy days we had 3-4 different location and dining options. The fact there were only 2 of us made it much easier. I did see someone get last minute reservations for 8. Here is my feedback from the restaurants:
Mexican: Primarily tacos with a few other options. Kabobs come with a fiery show and are tasty to boot. Appetizers and desserts are buffet style.

Tropical: Many different kinds of fish, with limited steak and chicken options. Of all the restaurants this was our least favorite. The food was still quite excellent.

Japanese: Hibachi grill with sushi appetizers. This is a larger than normal grill with one cook serving both sides (18 people). The show was very entertaining for those experiencing it for the first time. For more seasoned diners, it was a little rushed. The neighboring show was more entertaining so we may have gotten the rookie. You are offered the choice of steak, chicken, shrimp, and octopus; one, some, all. You were also offered steamed or fried rice but everyone got fried regardless which was ordered. Everything was still very well prepared.

Italian: Pizza, calzone, lasagna. (misc meats as well available) I ordered the calzone, my wife ordered the lasagna. They offered a meaty lasagna and a veggie option. The veggie option tasted very good while the calzone wasn't as good as I had hoped. As with the Mexican the a buffet was set up for desserts and appetizers.

Steak: Various cuts of steak, some chicken, fish. The steaks were good cuts and cooked to order. I had a ribeye and my wife enjoyed her tenderloin. The portions were decent yet not excessively large.

Breakfast Buffet: Breakfast had a number of great options. The omelet bar was a favorite for my wife while I usually picked up some french toast and pancakes with bacon and sausage. If the omelet bar line was empty then I would order a couple fried eggs. If the omelet line got too backed up, a second stand would quickly open.

Lunch Buffet: Lunch buffet by the pools had a pizza bar, hamburger/hotdog bar, and a taco bar. Most people didn't recognize the taco bar because the corn tortillas were "on request." Ask the guy working the grill with all the meats for some tortillas and he will throw them on the grill for you to heat them up. Then you can add meat, guac, salsa, etc to have some awesome tacos. The fish tacos were particularly good.
The normal lunch buffet doesn't open until 1pm but has more options. We spent most lunches at the beach buffet due to proximity and it hit the spot.

Dinner Buffet: Since we ate at the restaurants each night we never ended up eating at the dinner buffet. They had a pasta bar and a couple other options. We did stop by each night for dessert (The mango sherbet is amazing) and didn't see much variety in the offerings. Of course I didn't look too intently as we headed straight for the ice cream cart.

Room Service: while at previous hotels we used room service quite extensively, we didn't end up using it at all at the Tucan. The hours are a little inconvenient as they go from 11am to 11pm. We like being able to order breakfast room service at 6am before our excursion at 7am. Fortunately breakfast opens at 6am so we could still get some food.

Location: This is one of the biggest pluses to the Tucan. The location is awesome. The hotel grounds are covered in wildlife. We saw monkeys, coati, turtles, iguanas, flamingos, parrots just while walking to dinner or to various activities.Playa del Carmen is a 40 minute walk away. (45-50 along the beach.) If you follow the road immediately outside the hotel complex it will take you close to 5th avenue. We walked to Playa del Carmen 3 times both by the main street and along the beach. By cab it is 50 pesos or $5. If you plan on taking cabs frequently then I recommend bringing pesos as they convert 10 pesos to $1. Most of the stores offer a conversion rate between 12-13. Souvenir prices are typically in USD so lots of extra pesos isn't all that useful. We made the mistake of converting $500USD to pesos during our first trip and ended up converting most of it back when we got home because it was easier to use dollars.

Activities: During the day it is easy to find a beach volleyball or other game to play. The swimming area was all sand resulting in great swimming but poor snorkeling. Kayaks could be checked out. Chair hogs were in full force but still left plenty of options for seating. The activity staff had a good schedule lined up with an activity each hour. We participated in the bike tour, pool basketball, zumba, beach volleyball, and pool volleyball. I had hoped to try the archery as well but was usually distracted when it happened and missed it each day.

Beverage selection: Soda were limited to Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, Fanta. Specialty drinks from the bar were rather bland and not very sweet. We are both watching are carb intake and didn't feel tempted to splurge on drinks but opted for ice cream instead.

Bottom line: We would recommend the Tucan for anyone who is looking for a budget all inclusive hotel in Mexico. It definitely wasn't as nice as the Riu but it was exactly what we were looking for.

Room Tip: Email a few days before traveling if you are planning to check in early. There are no elevators so r...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Tim E
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Tucan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2014

Dear Tim E,

It is our delight to read your wonderful comments about your recent stay at the Iberostar Tucan & Quetzal. Thank you for selecting our resort to spend your vacation.

It is always refreshing to read such positive and exciting comments, which are shared with the Management Team. Our caring staff takes pride to deliver impeccable service to every guest, and ensure they feel important and comfortable.

We would like to thank you for your nice comments regarding the wildlife, our gastronomy, the several activities organised, our beautiful premises and wonderful staff.

We will look into your suggestion and look forward to welcoming you back again next year!

Kind regards,

Reviewed January 7, 2014

I stayed for a Wedding in June 2013 and loved it. When considering the cost you get more than what you pay for. There may not be all the top shelf liquor as other all inclusive and there can be some language challenges but it's a fun relaxed setting where it is as easy to daydream a day away as to embark on a day of sightseeing, thrill seeking and cultural excursions.
There was enough variety of food which suited us perfectly. The beach was beautiful, the jungle was fun and the pool areas large enough to cater for all the guests without over crowding during our stay.
Overall the value for money and fun, relaxed atmosphere are the massive pulls for me.

Room Tip: Make sure you request the room type you are wanting. We had a few issues here and it seems that this...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Coco D

Dear guest,

In the name of our Management we thank you for choosing Iberostar Tucan & Quetzal for your holidays and for writing a review about your experience among us.

At Iberostar we seek to ensure a memorable stay to our beloved guests through our guiding principles: to offer an exquisite gastronomy, to be settled near the best beaches around the world, to upkeep our grounds and to provide an excellent service. We are very pleased to read your positive evaluation about these aspects.

We look forward to hosting you again!

Reviewed January 7, 2014

All previous reviews are true. This hotel is one of a kind and the location is fantastic.

Luz from public relations is incredibly accommodating and is a true asset to the resort. My requests were fulfilled and it's employees like her that contribute to such a wonderful vacation. All staff were amazing and went above and beyond.

PROS
Beach is amazing. A quick 30 minute walk to Playa Del Carmen each way. About 6km return. Perfect for some exercise. Great calibre of beach volleyball. Always lots of people playing. Zumba on beach was very popular.
If you can't get a beach hut they provide umbrellas which is what we did so never a rush to get to the beach.
The animals are amazing. Yes you hear the monkeys and on occasion were howling on our balcony at 7:30am. Wake up call! Walking through the zoo area was incredible. Great for kids and families alike.

Food at the a la cartes were good. We tried them all and liked each one. The Italian has the best red wine on site.

Great staff at the lobby bar and they will make anything you like using good quality alcohol. You just have to ask for your brand if choice.

Close to playa for shopping and nightlife. $7 taxi each way. Coco Bongo and Mandela were tons of fun. Travelled with a girlfriend. We are in our early 40's FYI.

CONS
The only con would be the main lobby buffet. The food is just ok. The beach lunch buffet is much better and if you ask they have tortillas at the grill station and will heat them for you if you ask.

All in all I could write so much more and we will definitely recommend and go back anytime!!

• Stayed: December 2013
3  Thank beachfamily627

Dear Beachfamily627,

On behalf of the hotel Management we would like to thank you for posting your review about your experience at Iberostar Tucan & Quetzal and for choosing our hotel for your vacations.

We are very pleased to read that our a la carte restaurants, the activities and the service provided by our friendly staff ensured you a memorable holiday. At Iberostar we are committed to providing the best service.

Also, we appreciate your nice comments when it comes to Luz, she really is a true asset to the resort!

All guest feedback provides inspiration to our team and allows us to continuously strive to achieve the utmost level in customer satisfaction. We would to emphasize that your status as a costumer is highly valued; we would be privileged to see you in the near future.

Kind regards,

Bel Air Collection Xpu Ha Riviera Maya
Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya
Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya
#41 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Iberostar Tucan Hotel? Share your experiences!