“Weather was a little rough but the resort is wonderful!”

Iberostar Tucan Hotel
Ranked #46 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed November 20, 2013

We were at The Tucan November 11th to the 18th, we had three days of on and off rain and it poured!
We had hoped for a king size bed but they were only able to give us a room with two doubles beds but they were able to get us into a room with a king bed within a few days in the same block and floor. We were in the 1200 block on the third floor.
Pretty sure all the rooms are pretty much the same except for the beach front rooms, some of the tv's have been updated to flat screens and I think most of the rooms have new mattresses now, we had a nice pillow top on the king bed.
The person that cleaned our room was great, her name is Carmela and if you go there I hope you get her, I had left my Kindle cable in the first room and she had found it.
as for the resort it's exactly what everyone says it is, for the money it would be hard to beat, grounds are spectacular, lots of tropical foliage, you can either take the jungle walkways or the outer perimeter walkways to get from one end of the resort to the other.
The buffets have plenty of options for all meals, if you go hungry then you must taste buds for McDonald's or something because all the foods was fresh and very good, I know I need to lose a few pounds after the trip :-)
Yes there are animals all over the place, some caged some not, the Howler monkeys just seem to roam wherever they want, they woke me up a few times in the middle of the night but they generally don't keep on making a ton of noise but you will know them when you hear them.
The beach is large and I think the resort was at full capacity when we were there as the beach was quite crowded but you can get an umbrella at the towel shack which we preferred as the sun moves you move your umbrella.
Beach is wide and very soft sand, the bottom in the water is pretty free of rocks and other debris so it's really nice, we had some eight foot waves while we were there when the storms were working through.
So the bottom line is I think you will have a hard time finding a better property for the money as others have said "the people make the difference" and everyone that worked there were always pleasant to us.
Have a SUPER TRIP!

Room Tip: The 1400 to 1200 block seems to be where the monkeys spend time.
4  Thank WayneG714
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Tucan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 2, 2013

Dear WayneG714,

We would like to thank you for having chosen Iberostar Tucan & Quetzal as your destination for your holidays and for writing a review about your experience among us on Tripadvisor.

On behalf of our Management, and the whole team, we would like to express you our happiness to acknowledge that we could achieve our goal during your stay.

We appreciate your kind comments regarding the clean rooms, the spectacular grounds and the varied buffet.

We will be glad to welcome you back again; please do not hesitate to contact us as soon as you receive your booking confirmation.

With kindest regards,

Reviewed November 20, 2013

Iberostar Tucan was AMAZING!!!!!! my boyfriend and I went on our very first vacation away!! We are a 22 year old couple, and did not know what to expect. Upon arriving at the resort on Nov 7th '13, we were in awe! The lobbys are gorgeous, clean and staff were immediately pleasant! We quickly realized how friendly and hardworking ALL staff are! The landscaping was beautiful, well kept and all the animals ie; flamingos,ring tailed lemurs, peacocks, monkeys etc had us both running around stunned!
The POOL was spacious and clean as well, where various activities took part ie :water aerobics,yoga nearby, and scuba lessons took place; Dennis was great giving our scuba experience in the pool, friendly, passionate about scuba & the ocean world, even joined in with our dancing (once you start zumba, you just don't wanna stop!!).
The BEACH was swim-able, with white sand and gorgeous blue salt water to swim in! There was lots of beach recliners, small palapas, umbrellas and fresh clean towels readily available. Staff serving drinks on the beach were incredible!! so hardworking, and remembered our drink orders from previous days!! WOW! As well as the beach bar, drinks were made quick and in super friendly manner! Zumba on the beach was such a blast! Tons of people of various ages jumped up to have some fun, Mauricio was a hoot & great instructor! (so glad it was so open to everyone, my boyfriend who "doesn't dance" got up with me!!) We also had an afternoon of games one day (which I normally wouldnt play, but life's short.. so why not!)
RESTERAUNT buffets were great, hot, fresh and clean! (I am celiac (allergic to gluten) and lactose intolerant was still able to eat most of the dishes!!) Andy, our breakfast buffet server was so sweet, hardworking and eager to serve us, everyday! My boyfriend and I both recommend the japenese a la carte!! Food and experience was phenomenal!
We went to a few of the evening shows Yohel was a great entertainer and we also went to Mascara the night club, we had tons of fun with a wide range of age groups, tho because of the time of year we went, the club was not super busy.
Half way through our trip we did an excursion to Tulum thru Alltournative, AMAZING AS WELL. Tho, of course I came into contact with a plant and had a breakout of blisters on my mouth and eye, my boyfriend took me down to the MEDICAL CENTER in the Ibersotar lobby at 630am (it was open 24 hrs) I was very panicked but Edmund, the doctor on site was great!! Talked me through it,made recommendations, and i was back cleared up almost immediately!
LOBBY BAR at the quetzal side, was where we headed each evening after dinner Micaela is wonderful and so funny! Man that girl can hustle, hardworking and a sweetie as well!!
We ventured down the beach(about 25min walk, or 5 min cab ) into the town of Playa Del Carmen, shopping,restaurants, nightlife and bars is close by!

My boyfriend and I had such a wonderful time and would recommend this resort to anyone, of any age group!! had the perfect mix of relaxation, as well as upbeat fun! We both had the week of our lives, fell in love with Mexico, the people,food, resort and more in love with each other & what this beautiful world has to offer ! :)

Room Tip: We received a jungle view of the Tucan side, It was on the bottom floor (which was convenient becaus...
6  Thank Emm B

Dear Guests,

First of all we would like to thank you for writing this very nice comment about your recent holidays.

It was a pleasure having you as our guests. Our main object is to provide our clients unique holidays so we are more than happy to achieve it through our service, landscape and food. Your words about our hardworking staff are very valued for the whole team and give us an extra motivation in order to continue providing an excellent service.

We will share your review with the management and we will inform all staff members, which you highlighted about your positive memories.

Your last sentences makes us so proud and we hope to welcome you back soon, maybe for your honey moon !

Reviewed November 19, 2013

Went here on vacation with my girlfriend a couple of weeks ago and we had a great time. I work in hotel management so I am usually pretty harsh with my reviews but I was pleasantly surprised here. We read the reviews before coming so we knew what to expect - called ahead and requested a mattress topper in our room. It was all set prior to check-in, as well as a room facing the jungle (near where the monkeys come) as we requested.

The resort above all was very very clean. It is not like other hotels, for example we had friends staying at the RIU which looked nice but you could tell it was all artificial - they had razed the entire area and made it look the way they wanted. What we loved about this place was the fact that it was built into the jungle - the hotel integrated into its surroundings, not the other way around. As a result you may expect things not to be so clean but everything was spotless - the room, the restaurants, poolside, everywhere. The other great thing is the amount of wildlife all over the resort. There are Agoutis, Iguanas and even Peacocks! We heard there were monkeys, and in fact heard them sometimes in the daytime and at night but never managed to see any.

The bartenders were all great, very friendly and made the drinks quickly. If you wanted them stronger they made them stronger. The mojitos were especially good! Also, the buffets were all spectacular. The breakfast was phenomenal especially. Also, in the late afternoon they had a snack by the beach where they made the most delicious burgers. We had a 5-night stay which meant we were allowed a maximum of only 2 reservations at the a la carte restaurants, but they let us use those later in the trip and book a 3rd restaurant for our first night. Honestly we made the mistake of picking the less popular restaurants. The Italian, Japanese and Steakhouse are known to be the best, while the Tropical and Mexican are supposedly not as good. Our first night we ate at the Tropical since they served seafood, but it left a lot to be desired. However, at all the restaurants the appetizers are offered as a buffet (and all the appetizer buffets were delicious). The Mexican was marginally better but still a bit disappointing - again the app buffet was very good. Finally, we tried the steakhouse and that was really excellent - we realized then that we should have picked the Italian and Japanese too as they had recommended.

The pool is great, the water temperature was perfect and there were always lounge chairs available. The swim up bar was very cool too. But at this resort the beach is where it's at! The water is beautiful and the beach is super clean! The sand is not full of shells or rocks and the water does not get deep until you go very far out. There are also activities on the beach, which we did a couple of. First off, jet skiing which was amazing and relatively inexpensive. We also got a couples massage on the beach our last day there and it was incredibly relaxing; well worth the price. My girlfriend also participated in the water aerobics which is done in the ocean and she had a great time.

All the staff are friendly and attentive, although we did have to wait almost an hour and a half and call three times for a new ironing board since ours was broken. Not good considering we were hurrying to get ready to go to a friend's wedding. This, paired with the two sub-par restaurants are the reason I knocked off a star. But all told this is a wonderful resort. Especially for the price we got through Expedia, booking flight and hotel together, the value could not be beat. We both agreed that we will definitely choose Iberostar Tucan on our next trip to Playa del Carmen. Thank you to all the staff for making our trip memorable!!!

5  Thank Danny1218

Dear Danny1218,

We would like to thank you for choosing Iberostar Hotels and Resorts for your holidays and for posting a review about your stay at Iberostar Tucan & Quetzal.

On behalf of our Management, and the whole team, we would like to express our satisfaction to read how you highlighted the excellent service and friendliness of the entire staff that made your holidays especial, as we aim at Iberostar Hotels and Resorts.

Likewise, we thank you for pointing out the cleanliness of the hotel, the wildlife and the food.

We have communicated our Front desk team your feedback. Our apologies about the inconveniences.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back and remain at your entire disposal for further assistance.

With kindest regards,

Reviewed November 18, 2013

we have just arrived back from the iberostar tucan having spent 2 fabulous weeks there. we had a 9 hr flight delay on the way out and arrived at the tucan very tired at 2.30 in the morning, we still had a great reception with all being explained to us even though we were too tired to take it in. the rooms are very clean and comfortable and the cleaners keep it spotless every day. the grounds are amazing with loads of animals roaming around the grounds, the monkeys are a real pleasure to spot and photograph! the pool is huge with a lovely shallow end near to the beach, perfect for little ones. the staff are very helpful and polite and work so incredibly hard, the entertainment team really do an outstanding job keeping everyone entertained. there is a very good selection of good quality food to cater for every taste. we tried 3 of the resteraunts , the Mexican, the steakhouse and the Italian and in our opinion the Mexican is by far the best, make sure you book early for the resteraunts. The rep, jasmine, is very informative so make sure you go to the welcome meeting she gives you loads of tips, We did a few trips while we were there, chichinitza, which is a VERY long day, we were a little disappointed, not with the place, which is stunning but with the amount of sellers there covering every spare inch around the grounds, it kind of took away the atmosphere of the surroundings. we also did snorkling in akumel to see the turtles which is AMAZING! we would recommend this trip to anyone , you see turtles all kinds of fish and we were lucky enough to see stingrays, you are then taken to an underground cenote which is great, saying that though, if you have your own snorkling gear get a taxi from the hotel to akumel beach and do it yourself, there are plenty of bars and places to eat there and it will be cheaper than the trip. Xplor is a great full day of activities with zip lining atvs rafts and underground caves, its awesome! If like us your travel agent has told you to take pesos as dollars are being fased out, its not true, everywhere we went they took both currencys and euros and pounds in some places! so take whatever is the best rate at the time. if you choose this hotel you will not be disappointed, it really has everything and we are already booking a return visit. the only negative is that there is no free Wi-Fi, but if you stand close to the sandos hotel next door you can connect to theirs, free.

6  Thank suer67

Dear guest,

On behalf of our Management we thank you for writing a review about your recent experience at the Iberostar Tucan & Quetzal.

We feel much honored to acknowledge that our beautiful premises, our exquisite cuisine and the excellent service of our friendly staff passed your expectations. At Iberostar every member of our staff is committed to ensure our guests “enjoy being a Star”.

We also appreciate your kind comments when it comes to the clean rooms, the huge pool and our amazing grounds.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back; please do not hesitate to contact us to assist you before your next visit.

With regards,

Reviewed November 18, 2013

This was our first time travelling as a family to an all inclusive. We researched lots of places and our travel agent recommended this one. We were very happy with the choice. The resort was big enough to have lots of variety in activities, and food but small enough to feel like family. 'the staff was amazing. Then entertainment staff was very good and we got to know Andres and Laura. They went out of their way to make our vacation very special even if it was at our expense in the shows. The resort was clean and there was lots of choice for food. My son loved the room service and used it every day. We went into playa de carman one day and it was an easy 7 cab ride there. We walked to walmart and cabbed it home for 9. the shows were entertaining and the beach and pool wonderful. it rained our last day there but the weather was not too bad. Rained a lot more than usual for November. the only reason I gave sleep quality a 4 was because the doors are not good for sound. Anyone out in the hall could be heard like they were standing in your room. I gave a 4 for service as for a few things our family and the other family that we travelled with. We had to call down to the desk a couple times for a broken curtain, air not working, no umbrella in the room, the safe being locked upon arrival and no extra cot. The hotel only resolved about half of the things and it took a couple of calls to do it. other than that the service around the hotel was amazing...just the front desk..

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Iberostar
2  Thank Lorri D
Reviewed November 17, 2013 via mobile

We arrived 27th oct for 2 weeks . The difference between this hotel and others is the Starfriends !!!! They are awesome Yohel leading a fantastic crew !! Ari was my favourite she was a very kind hearted and fun lady . Carlos was great with the kids in the kids club giving us some well needed adult time . As for the Zumba on the beach it's a must see .... The kids cried on the coach as we left , we're planing our return

Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank golfersimon

Dear Golfersimon,

We would like to express, how thankful we are, that you have been our guests and more than happy to read that you had an amazing time with your family at Iberostar Tucan & Quetzal.
All your kind words about our entertainment team will be forwarded to Yohel.

Let us know when you are planning to come back and please send some greetings to your kids!

Reviewed November 15, 2013

I must say, Service was great! Rooms and grounds super clean! Staff very courterous.
They have a very large pool, swim up bar and great beach.
Variety of restaurants. Make reservations for the Steak House as soon as you arrive. It fills up fast.
Bars everywhere!

Room Tip: Corner suite was great. If you get a Jungle View room, don't feed the monkeys! They'll wake...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Bill G

Dear Bill G,

First of all we would like to thank you for having stayed with us during your last vacations in Playa del Carmen.

We are glad to read that you enjoyed the great service provided by our courteous team. Your comments regarding our swimming pool and our different restaurants are much appreciated.

Your kind comments show us that you had a good stay with us at the Iberostar Tucan & Quetzal.
We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon to this paradise!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
#16 of 21 in Akumal
The Reef Coco Beach
The Reef Coco Beach
#102 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Iberostar Tucan Hotel? Share your experiences!