“First time in Mexico!”

GreenLeadersGold level
Pennsylvania
“First time in Mexico!”
Reviewed September 19, 2013

TripAdvisor erased my previous review on Ib.Tucan for some reason, so I try to rewrite my experience. Our family of four stayed here in May 2010, it was our first time in Mexico and we fell in love with this beautiful country. Previously, we stayed two times at Iberostar Punta Cana and knew that Iberostars are wonderful properties, so we wanted to try Iberostar in Mexico, too. We didn't regret our decision, it was the most relaxing vacation ever.
Beach here is amazing, we never had to reserve chairs at beach, enough of chairs for everyone,also, there is beach service. Only one negative thing I would say is sand, our friend hurt himself while playing volleyball. He fell and sand was very coarse with some broken sea shells, he scratched his knee pretty badly and couldn't swim in ocean because it hurt a lot.
Food was delicious, not very big variety as in other resorts we stayed in, but it was prepared well. Loved Mexican station, breakfast pastries were so delicious and I found that desserts at Iberostar Tucan were among the best we had in all-inclusive resorts. I gained 10 pounds in ten days, it tells you how I liked desserts here.Also, ice cream at pool is awesome, too.
Rooms are pretty basic, I stayed in better, but nothing bad. Really liked housekeeping here. My kids really liked kids club and activities it provided.
Will I ever return? Yes, if price is right. It is solid 4 star resort, with wonderful stuff, very kids friendly, nice restaurants and beach.

Room Tip: We stayed at bld.13, very close to kids club, pool, and 5 min. walk to beach or lobby.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank cocolocopa
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Tucan Hotel, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Dear Cocolocopa,

In the name of our Management we thank you for choosing Iberostar Tucan & Quetzal for your holidays and for writing a review about your experience among us.

At Iberostar we seek to ensure a memorable stay to our beloved guests through our guiding principles: to offer an exquisite gastronomy, to be settled near the best beaches around the world, to upkeep our grounds and to provide an excellent service. We are very pleased to read your positive valuation about these aspects.

We are sorry to hear that your friend hurt himself due to the sand. We hope that he is doing fine and that the scratch disappeared.

Also, we would to emphasize that your status as a costumer is highly valued; we would be privileged to see you in the near future, in order for you to experience the improvements in our facilities and services that will be accomplished thanks to our guests’ feedbacks.

Best Regards,

Iberostar Mexico

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,026)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Rock Island, Illinois, USA
Reviewed September 17, 2013

Resort is very clean and friendly. Spa prices seemed high. Internet service is poor. Themed restaurants were very good. Beach is magnificent. Pool is huge. Wildlife galore. Bar staff very fun. Top shelf drinks. 4th time visiting here and would definitely return.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Iberostar

1 Thank bleu937
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Tucan Hotel, responded to this review, September 28, 2013
Dear Guest,

We all appreciate that you have taken the time to post a review regarding your recent holiday with us at the Iberostar Tucan& Quetzal.

We are happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us thanks to our good restaurants, our magnificent beach , our flora and fauna and our clean premises.

Your comments regarding our Spa prices and the internet service will be taken into consideration. We would like to mention that we are working to provide a better internet service which will be available throughout the entire resort.

We thank you once again for your review and we cannot wait to welcoming you back to the Iberostar Tucan& Quetzal for the 5th time.

Kind regards,

Sainte-Julie, Canada
Reviewed September 17, 2013

I read a lot before going on my trip to Iberostar Tucan and all I can say is that every positive reviews I read on Trip Advisor are true! And the main complaint about the Wi-Fi is also true... but what the heck we're on vacation :) And if you live close to the Sandos you can get their free wi-f from your balcony. We were in building 11, room 1146 with a great view of the ocean. I think Bldg 11 and 12 are the best place to stay as they are close to the beach, the pool and evrything important. On a sad note the weather was terrible... clouds and rain for about 85% of our vacations. But that has nothing to do with the hotel, and by experience, I can say that being in such a good hotel during bad weather is a big plus. So read all the reviews that you want, (even the bad ones if you have time to waiste) and you will see for yourself that it's a top notch hotel. So don't hesitate to book ... it's a great place to be!!!

Review collected in partnership with Iberostar

4 Thank Jonclerc65
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Tucan Hotel, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Dear woopsi,

We are very grateful about your review on your recent vacation at Iberostar Tucan & Quetzal!

We are glad you were so happy with your room and the activities offered by our wonderful Star Friends team.

Regrarding internet, thanks to our guests' comments we are already working on it and will have wireless internet with better connection from the lobby, and rooms and other public areas. This service will have a very affordable cost.

Thank you so much for your recommendation and of course for choosing us. We hope you come back soon.

Best regards,

Iberostar México
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 17, 2013

My husband and I and another couple visited Iberostar Tucan on the 25th of August 2013 for 2 weeks, at first we did not know what to think as our room was in the jungle, room 1429, I went on the balcony the next morning to see the monkeys which were fab the only thing was I was eaten by the mozies! five bites in one day get their lotion called OFF as deet has know affect!!!
So I was very reluctant to go out on the balcony again. However apart from that the hotel is fantastic the staff are all lovley and the entertainment team are fab they all work very hard Marishio is brilliant he is smiling and happy all the time and will go out of his way make you welcome and Gerardo was brill but he is leaving soon. The food is lovley the best ones to book is the Japanese and the Italians the steak house is nice but so hot as there is no air con. The rooms are nice and cleaned daily the beach is fantastic, the only thing that let the holiday down was the weather,the first week was red hot the second we had storms every day.5th avenue was great too!! The wild life here is amazing we never new what we were going to see next, Would recommend this hotel and would come back.This is our 4th Iberostar hotel, although I do think the only thing missing was a air conditioned sports or music bar which we had in Jamaica.

Tracey from Co.Durham England

Room Tip: We were in the middle which was ideal for the access to the beach and to reception, if you dont want...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank tracey i
Dear tracey i

We are very grateful that you chose Tucan & Quetzal for your latest holiday and for writing such a nice review.

As you rightly mentioned, we are built around and within the jungle and make daily efforts to conserve it, so even though we fumigate daily, in the rainy season is difficult to get rid of mosquitoes completely, but repellents such as the one mentioned work really well!

Thank you for your lovely words about our staff, they really are the heart and soul of our organization and work hard to make your holiday really entertaining and special.

Thank you very much for your loyalty, your constructive comments will be sent to the involved departments with the intention of achieving our dear guests' complete satisfaction.

We hope to serve you back soon!

Warm regards,

Mexico City, Mexico
Reviewed September 16, 2013

I strongly recommend this hotel due to its beautiful architecture embedded in tropical surrounding, full of marvellous sounds of birds and other animals. Delicous meal and excellent service especially for families with children - there are a lot of activities to choose from, parents can relax and children go to a "beach kindergarden". Many restaurants Amazing experience :D

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Kasia N
Dear Kasia N

Thank you so much for recommending Tucan & Quetzal due to our wonderful natural surroundings and architecture.

We are happy you were so satisfied with our services and activities for children and adults alike.

We hope you come back soon with your family, it would be a pleasure to serve you again!

Best regards,

Hill Country, TX
Reviewed September 16, 2013

My husband and I first visited this resort in 2002 and have returned every year except the past two. I found a couple of "great deals" on other resorts, so we ventured out to give them a try. We stayed at the Riu Caribe and the Ocean Maya Royale. While they both were nice and we enjoyed them, they just could not hold a candle to the Tucan/Quetzal! We missed the manicured jungle, the awesome buffets, and the relaxing open-aired lobby bars in the evenings. I am very excited to say that we are returning to our first love on September 30 (our 40th wedding anniversary). See you soon!!!

Room Tip: We prefer being on the top floor. (Quieter)
3 Thank againandagain
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Tucan Hotel, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for your wonderful comments about Tucan & Quetzal. We are thrilled that after your visit in 2002 we have the privilege of being chosen again, and for such a special occasion as your 40th wedding anniversary.

Tucan & Quetzal was build around the jungle, and we have a priority to preserve our environment so we are very happy you highlighted this aspect of our resort.

We are looking forward to your return on September 30th! Please do contact our Public Relations team in advance for any requests you may have to make your stay extra special.

Warm regards,

Reviewed September 16, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Iberostar Tucan resort from September 7-14 2013. I really felt compelled to write a review on this resort because we felt that we were misled by some of the reviews that we read on trip advisor.

Here is our honest opinion of this resort:

Before arriving to the resort, our travel agent spoke to the resort letting them know that we were celebrating our wedding anniversary. She was assured that we would be taken care of and that any complimentary offerings would be to the discretion of the resort.

Check-in was a bit hectic; we were placed aside to fill out some paperwork and then had to wait for someone at the front desk to take care of us. Not a problem though, as it can get pretty busy and we are pretty easygoing people.

Our room was surprisingly nice; I say this because we read a lot of reviews claiming that the rooms were dated but my wife and I found it to be quite comfortable and our minibar was filled constantly. No complaints at all. We were in building 1400 with the forest view. We were even able to feed one of the howler monkeys that came on our balcony!

The beach is absolutely incredible, it is by far one of the nicest beaches that we've experienced so far.

Here is where the trip took a turn for the worst: the buffet. Oh.My. We are really not picky people when it comes to food but please understand that we had already been to Iberostar Cancun and the food there was phenomenal, and there were theme nights at the buffet.
This buffet had no variety and had doubles of everything on each side of the buffet. It sadly resembled cafeteria food. This is not to say that the food tasted bad, it was just the fact that no effort was made into making the buffet exciting and tasty. I work in a kitchen and I know fresh from frozen. Can't help but be disappointed at the large number of meals made with frozen vegetables,etc. including the a-la-cartes.

Lastly, our anniversary was completely overlooked. All day we waited for someone to make a comment or receive something, as we had at Iberostar Cancun, where we were given Iberostar t-shirts, champagne and chocolate-covered strawberries and even a cake the day of our anniversary!

The next day we were getting pretty bummed; we had constant rain, the food was mediocre and our anniversary was ignored. Finally, I just asked front desk if maybe they just didn't do anything for anniversaries, and we were told that there had been a note on file, they just didn't see it. I think I would have rather heard that they just didn't do anything for special events than hear that it was a lack of competence on their part. And the worst? The fact that once the mistake was realized, there was no attempt at redeeming themselves for the mistake.

All in all, for those of you who want a beautiful resort and a nice beach, you'll have a great time. But if you love to eat and eat well, and you enjoy those extra little touches for customer service, this is NOT your resort.

Room Tip: Stay in rooms 1400 if you would like to see monkeys, agoutis, coatis. Choose the second or third flo...
2 Thank Jonshadow
Iberostar Paraiso Lindo
Iberostar Paraiso Lindo
#5 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,880 reviews

Been to Iberostar Tucan Hotel? Share your experiences!