“My Dream Wedding”

Iberostar Tucan Hotel
Ranked #49 of 214 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed July 8, 2013

After quite a bit of searching for the perfect resort with the right price for our wedding two years ago, we picked Iberostar Tucan, and it turned out to be the best decision we ever made! The planning process was a breeze and Gabriella (the wedding coordinator) was incredibly friendly and responsive. Once we got there, we realized that the resort was even more beautiful than the pictures! The grounds were absolutely gorgeous filled with amazing animals (birds, monkeys, etc) that roamed around and made the whole place more interesting! Gabriella took care of everything up to and including the day of our wedding, and everything turned out perfectly. We started with a cocktail reception on the beach the day we all got there, and got married two days later. Gabriella put together a beautiful wedding ceremony for us on the beach, followed by a dinner reception at a pool-side restaurant for us and our 30 guests. One of the best and most unexpected parts of the whole experience was a romantic candle-lit dinner for the two of us on the beach the night after the wedding, complete with our own private server! It was the most amazing and memorable meal I have ever had.

Every one of our guests loved the resort and still to this day talks about going back! The location, beach, rooms, food, amenities and service were just wonderful, and I can't say enough about our overall experience. If you are thinking of booking this resort and having yourself a fantastic getaway, don't hesitate. We can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank shinoosh61
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Tucan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for writing your lovely review as we too are delighted you had an amazing wedding. Congratulations again!

We appreciated being chosen as the location for your wedding. Your wedding day and experience should be nothing less than amazing - and we hope to see you in your future anniversary and special celebrations :-)

Your review will definitely help other potential Bride and Grooms considering Iberostar Tucan & Quetzal as their venue so thank you once again for writing it, we appreciate it.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future where we hope you will enjoy your return visit just as much.

Kind regards,
Iberostar Mexico

Write a ReviewReviews (6,748)

Reviewed July 7, 2013

Another fantastic holiday to the iberostar tucan, the staff are all excellent and can not do enough for you. We stayed in block 13 near the pool are, our maid keep the room spotless as is all the hotel. The italian restaurant was our favourite. A special mention to gilberto in the tucan side restaurant who looked after us our glasses were never empty he know what we wanted to drink as soon as we sat down to our evening meal.would highly recommend this hotel for the wild life and also the fantastic service you receive from all the staff

Room Tip: If you want to be near the pool/beach area block 13 or 12 are the best blocks
1  Thank Peter H

Dear Guest,

On behalf of all our staff and Management, we want to thank you for choosing Iberostar Tucan & Quetzal for your vacations in June!

We are glad to know that you were able to enjoy all our services overall, and want to express our happiness when reading how you highlighted the excellent service of Gilberto!

Your positive comments regarding the clean rooms, the service and the flora and fauna are much appreciated.

We remain at your disposal for further assistance, and hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back to Iberostar Tucan & Quetzal in the near future.

We hope you can visit us again soon; we look forward to welcoming all of you back.

Best regards,

Reviewed July 6, 2013

As the title says, what a brilliant resort. I actually stayed in the quetzal part, but you can actually use both parts of the resort. The food was magnificent, and the staff were fabulous, so polite and kind it was untrue. A tip goes a long way, but they don`t expect anything off you. The rooms were spotless, cleaned daily, so good they would tidy stuff away for you ( put glasses away in the case etc ). Entertainment was great, Mauricio doing the aqua aerobics and zumba was great....what a character. The food was exceptional, and the bar staff were very good, including the servers who keep coming around taking orders, even on the beach. This was my first time to Mexico, it won`t be my last as the people are so friendly. I will also return to this hotel in the future as it is so good.. Whilst away, we met up with a couple from Derby who were here for their 4th visit, I can understand why...

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank taffmorris

Dear Guest,

On behalf of our Hotel Iberostar Tucan and Quetzal, we would like to take this opportunity to express our gratitude for choosing us during your recent vacations.

We highly appreciate your positive comments regarding our rooms, staff, our gastronomy and our services that make our hotel stand out.

Also, we would like to emphasize that your status as a loyal customer is highly valued; we would be privileged to see you in the near future in order for you to experience the improvements in our facilities and services that will be accomplished thanks to our guests’ feedbacks.

Best Regards,

Reviewed July 5, 2013

My wife and I and 17 year old son just returned from a 5 day stay at the Iberostar Tucan. Overall we had an excellent time and I would book another trip again without hesitation. Here are some of the things I liked about the trip...The staff is excellent !!...Most if not all speak english so communication is really not an issue. The grounds are well kept and everything is spotless. Our room was beautiful. Housekeeping had our room cleaned everyday by 11am or earlier. The beach was great. The sand was clean and smooth, the water blue. We spent a lot time on the beach where I normally prefer the pool. However, the beach in Mexico was amazing and I think we were in the pool twice the entire trip. There also is not a shortage of restaurants. The buffets were great. There is a variety of food to choose from. If you eat on the healthy side there is plenty of fruit, veggies and healthy choices. If want to put on a few pounds (like me) you can do that as well....either way they have you covered. We made reservations at the steak house and Mexican restaurants. Both were very good. The service is excellent. The staff will do anything to please you. All in All...the food, drinks, service is all great and you will enjoy every minute.......Some of the things I did not like....First of all I am a big coffee drinker in the morning and I am also a very early riser, so keep that in mind....There was one restaurant that was open for a continental breakfast by 4:30AM..The coffee was a 5 at best on a 1-10 scale. They served a buffet breakfast at 7am and it was very good. Lot's to choose from. Fresh eggs and cooked to order.......Another minor thing was the beds....They are firm....I mean really firm....I like that but however next time I will upgrade to a larger bed as my wife and I had a full size and I am used to a king at home. Although thats something I did not like I can change that next time we book. As far as everything else goes there was not much I did not like..My wife and I will be looking to return as soon as we can. This was truly a great vacation and well worth the money which I have to say was very reasonable. Also I would like to suggest....A tip for the staff goes a long way....I typically tip everyone from the staff in the restaurants and the buffets to the bartenders and waitresses. The American dollar goes a long way in Mexico.

Room Tip: block 11 or 12,...both near the beach and pool
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank reviewer139
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Tucan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2013

Dear Guest,

We appreciate the time you have invested in writing your recent experience at our Hotel Iberostar Tucan & Quetzal.

It certainly motivates our team and assists us to determine that we are on the right track to achieve our mission to offer unique vocational experiences to our guests.

On behalf of the team that represents our hotel, we would like to thank you for the recognition of all the efforts put in our different services and facilities we offer. We are glad to see that you and your family enjoyed our beautiful location which not only does it represent our tourist destination, but also our company constantly endeavors to preserve our natural and wild environment that defines our hotel Iberostar Tucan & Quetzal.

On the other hand, we will forward the suggestions you are highlighting as we are always eager to gather efforts with all departments to look for opportunities of improvement. Our Food and Beverage Department will be notified about the coffee in order to seek for better options or try to have a wider variety. We would also like to mention that even though we have a standard in all our beds firmness, there is an option of placing a softener upon our guests’ request. We regret if this information was not available to you during your stay as it could represent a solution to this issue.

We will be honored to have the pleasure to welcome you in the near future. Please stay in touch with our representatives in order to offer you personalized service prior to your arrival and during your stay with us. Your status as repetitive guests is highly valued by our beautiful hotel Iberostar Tucan & Quetzal.

Reviewed July 4, 2013

We spent 14 days at this resort, stayed in block 11 which is near the beach. If you want to be more closer to the wildlife, ask for block 15. Rooms clean and tidy, staff will do absolutely anything for you, all were extremely very friendly. A la carte restaurants all very good, the Japanese one would highly recommend (visited twice).
Would definitely return to this resort .

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Iberostar
2  Thank 2013Chilledout

Dear Guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for choosing Iberostar Tucan & Quetzal as the destination for your vacations!

We would like to express how honored we are to read that you enjoyed a memorable stay with us. We appreciate your motivating comments referring our varied gastronomy, the good service and our clean hotel grounds.

We kindly ask you to write us before your next visit; it will be a pleasure for us to welcome you back at Iberostar Tucan & Quetzal.

With regards,

Reviewed July 4, 2013

Returned on June 18th 2013 from our 5 night stay here. It was our first trip to Mexico and the resort was great. I chose the resort because of the reviews about the jungle. It did not disappoint. my husband and son spent a lot of time looking at the animals. There were plenty of other activities at the resort. Before we went we had several day trips planned & plenty of excursions that we were going to take, but once there all of us had so much fun & relaxation that we chose to stay at the resort much more than we initially planned. The Star friends are their entertainment staff & work very hard to keep everyone happy. They work from early in the morning until late at night and are always upbeat & happy. We did plenty of activities that we would not normally do but they make you feel so comfortable that it is great to let loose. Gerardo & Carlos lead many of the activities that we participated in and we all had a great time. I thought it would be hard to please everyone in our party since it was myself, my husband ,our 21 year old daughter,22 year old niece ,and my 12year old son but each of us had a great time. The food is so so but everywhere we went everyone was able to find something they liked. On our last night we ate at the Steakhouse & everything there was fantastic. The pool was amazing , the beach was soft white sand & kept clean. Everywhere that we went in the Tucan side or the Quetzel side the staff was helpful & friendly. I don't like to visit the same place twice but would definately stay here if I did. Because of this resort I will look at staying at an Iberostar if I go to another country.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Dana S

Dear Guest,

First of all, we thank you for having chosen Iberostar Tucan & Quetzal for your vacations and for taking time to write your comments.

We would like to express our gratitude for the positive evaluation of the excellent service provided by our friendly staff, the beauty and maintenance of our hotel premises and our activities program.

Best regards,

Reviewed July 3, 2013

Let me start by saying this is the best holiday me and my boyfriend have EVER been on!
This hotel is amazing and must not refurb to white concrete modern square buildings which seem to be the trend in the area. It is spotlessly clean and spacious set out in jungle settings with a picture postcard beach.. white soft sand and clear warm waters fringed with palm trees, All the staff are extremely helpful and friendly and most speak good English.
On arrival after a very plesant flight and transfer our check in was pain free and quick we were in block 12 quite near to the beach , we requested a room facing the pool but we got gave one facing the back which was facing jungle as soon as I pointed this out they offerd to move us the day after but after seeing what we all ready had we told them there was no need.

our room had a large kingsize bed much bigger than our kingsize bed at home and was in no way hard like some reviews have said.Our mini bar was filled every day nearly with both water and beer which is just as nice as beer at home .. beer is lager in mexico.

food was above average and we never had a funny tummy once in the whole 2 weeks, a la carte meals amazing especially the tropical and steak house as these are located near the beach and much cooler.

the swimming pools are large and spred out and water very warm and quite deep but u can purchase lilo,s ect. pool bar gets quiet full and noisey but there are corners where you can have a more quiet moment, the americans tend to dominate this hotel and spend a lot of time n there but they are very friendly and we enjoyed speaking to them much more than the English they are in no way rude or offensive as other reviwers have stated. Ivan who works very hard to not only serve drinks but entertain as well deserves his wages doubling.

the beach is an absolute jaw dropper and the sea the same you can walk out a long way and its just above waiste deep , take some bread to feed the fish but be prepard to have a lot of fish round you .. they have no teeth and don't bite.

we visited xel-ha to swim with dolphins which we booked through thomsons at home and apparently we got a good deal, we booked contoy island another must through first choice at the hotel and got placed with a lot of very miserable English people who moaned a lot but this didn't spoil our trip. both trips were easy to book and hassel free for transfers and travel ect.

the star friens entertainment team are amazing we watched the show every night and im not normally 1 for shows but Mauricio was great as were the others but he took time out to talk with us and come see us in the day round pool or beach.

there is never a shortage of things to do here , but you never feel hasseled or nagged at all you can relax or get involved its your choice.

finally we travelled 15th june to 30th june and the weather was extremely hot with the humidity which made night times very hard to enjoy a meal sometimes you do get used to it but when we return it will be april/may, also to say we went in the wetest month of the year we saw rain once for 10 mins 11 out of our 14 days were constant sunshine and we have certainly got a tan.

thank you iberostar tucan/quetzal for an amazing holiday you all work so hard and we did appreciate this very much, there is lots of things I have missed out you will just have to go visit yourselfs.

1  Thank fletch_77

Dear Guest,

On behalf of the Iberostar Tucan & Quetzal management we would like to thank you for having chosen us as the destination for your vacations. We also thank you for taking the time to post a review about your experience with us.

We are really satisfied to acknowledge that your stay was memorable thanks to the excellent service provided by our staff in the different areas of our premises. At Iberostar Hotels and Resorts we are committed to providing the best service to our beloved guests. Your comments regarding our clean and spacious grounds, our restaurants and the front desk are much appreciated.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back again, please do not hesitate contact us with your booking details so we can help you to enjoy your next holidays with us.

With kindest regards,