“Excellent”

Iberostar Tucan Hotel
Ranked #46 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Excellent Hotel. We were two couples on two weeks holiday. The Hotel was kept beautifully clean in all areas, the menu is extensive with the food being well presented. The gardens and pools interweave right through the Hotel which give a relaxing feel.
There are umbrellas at the towel station if you need them. There are also tea and coffee facility's in your rooms.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Iberostar
IberostarMexico, Quality Manager at Iberostar Tucan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 3, 2013

Dear guests,

Many thanks for your lovely review and for choosing Iberostar Tucan for your latest holiday!

We are happy you liked our facilities, and our culinary offer.

We hope you come back soon, please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any special requests.

There are newer reviews for Iberostar Tucan Hotel

Reviewed April 28, 2013

As advertised, but still more than we expected. While I am not giving "Excellents" on all my ratings, something extraordinary would have to happen for that. This place was just solid - no surprises - no problems, all good things. It was very much in line with the pricing - if not a little better. For some of the reviewers with negative comments - I think their expectations were for something that would cost twice as much - which is fine - they just need to find a place that you pay twice as much.

I traveled with my 17 year old son and we both felt it was very nice - easy access to amenities, pool, beach, food and proximity to downtown and other outside amenities.

No problem finding a spot on the beach, though we didn't just go lay in the sun and camp out all day. Beach was big enough to throw a ball around, and water was nice enough to just bob around in, do some small-wave body surfing or actually swim. You can walk out 50+yards and the water is only up to your chest. Jet skis right at the beach. No snorkeling or diving though - you really need to go to Cozumel for that. Cozumel is visible from the beach, but it takes about two hours to get there after getting downtown to the ferry then across on the ferry. Sunset is on the other side of Mexico, but still cool to sit on the beach and watch the light go down.
Jungle area was actually pretty cool and we were able to see monkeys, peacocks, big iguanas, agouti(?) and coatimundis (one wandered into the buffet one morning) as well as many birds. Make sure to wander to the sister hotel - Quetzal - to see their different animals - mainly birds and tortoises and water area. We did see one snake on the Quetzal side.
Staff was very friendly and helpful. Everyone spoke English, but knowing enough Spanish to ask basic questions goes a long way. I noticed that many on staff really appreciated my effort, though they were more impressed that my son did a better job. This was true outside of the resort as well.

Pool area is huge and great for people-watching. There were also several activities based at the pool - good atmosphere there. There's also a swim up bar separated a little from the main pool, which is a nice touch.

Many reviews commented on food quality. Not sure what is expected for a Mexico, beachfront hotel at this price range, but everything was diverse enough and hit the spot. We certainly weren't expecting five star dining. Breakfast was a great spread from fruits to continental to tons of bacon and cooked-to-serve omelets. Dinners were anything from carved meat to seafood to salads. Yes, much of it was cooked as though they were serving a lot of people, but that's a buffet. Also - you can certainly eat very healthy here. We did do the Mexican restaurant one night and it was definitely a step up over the buffet. We missed our other a la carte night because we were too busy finding better things to do. But - there was good food at the buffet when we finally stumbled back to the resort late that night. Since I never saw it in other reviews here - the a la carte restaurants are no additional charge - just set your reservations when you first get there as they tend to book up. Also - a few of the a la carte require slacks (no shorts/swimsuits), though they have some to borrow if you need.

Drinks are generally weak/OK, but we weren't there to get drunk, so no complaints.

Day trips are easy from the hotel and the staff was happy to set those up, even when it meant just calling a cab for us to go somewhere or telling us a cool pace to check out.

I went to Cozumel with my oldest son several years ago - this location and amenities in Playa were better. Cozumel is a little more spread out too. On this trip, we did do a day trip to Cozumel to include snorkeling, etc., but the vibe just wasn't as good there. Maybe it was the day (Friday), but it seemed pretty low key and just....dull. Glad we ended up in Playa. Definitely would come to this hotel again.

Room Tip: Higher floors and interior rooms better. We had a fair amount of people walking by our ground floor...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank JPW996_02

Dear guests,

We are so happy that we were able to exceed your expectations; thank you so much for choosing us and for writing such a lovely review about your stay.

We are thrilled you and your soon had such a very nice time and took part in many of the activities. Thanks for appreciating our flora & fauna, and also our gastronomy.

We do hope that if you come back to Riviera Maya, you do not hesitate to come back to Iberostar Tucan!

Reviewed April 27, 2013

First time to Mexico and the Playa Del Carmen area - perhaps it's the location, bc all of the other hotels on this strip seemed the same. Decent for the price I guess, but not the all inclusive vacation I was looking for. Awful food, below par drinks. Definitely plan to leave the resort for good food, drinks, and activities!! Not the definition of all inclusive.

I am shocked at the other reviews I read with people rating it 5 star. Def. not my idea of 5 star.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank Psyche2030
IberostarMexico, Quality Manager at Iberostar Tucan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2013

Dear Guest,

First of all, we would like to thank you on behalf of our hotel Iberostar Tucan & Quetzal for choosing us during your recent stay in the Mayan Rivera in Mexico.

We regret to hear that you experience with us did not fulfill your expectations. We would like to mention that our staff is always willing to follow up through any request our guests might have in order to achieve customer satisfaction.

We have already shared your comments with our Food and Beverage Department. Please note that our different specialty restaurants and buffets carry different cuisines and international food.

Our animation team is always working on different activities during the day which involves all family members. We have a great schedule organized by the animation team starting from 8:00am till 9:00pm.

Your comments are appreciated. It will be a pleasure to host you and your family back in the near future and follow up through any request you might have in order to try our best to change your point of view regarding our beautiful hotel. We invite you also to visit Iberostar web page where you will find all our hotel categories in the world and their features. We are sure that one of them will suit your expectations and needs.

Sincerely yours.

Reviewed April 25, 2013

My husband and I traveled to Playa del Carmen for a belated honeymoon. After visiting Mexico a few years ago we fell in love with the area. After quite a bit of searching we decided on the Iberostar Tucan for it's proximity to downtown Playa del Carmen and the wildlife at the hotel. We took a cab one day into downtowm which cost 70 pesos ($7). Since it was a nice day we decided to walk back along the road which was about two miles. You could also walk on the beach but we figured it would have taken twice as long!

The whole experience at the hotel was just great. Our room was located in block 15 on the third floor, which was perfect. We were located halfway between the lobby, main restaurant, and the pool. We had monkeys on our balcony one morning which was so cool. The monkeys are fairly loud in the morning but I think it just added to the ambiance. How many people can say they were woken up by monkeys?!

The food at the hotel was great- I consider myself a fairly picky eater and I had absolutely nothing to complain about. My husband loves Mexican food and he literally ate it for breakfast, lunchand dinner. So there's plenty to eat for all types of appetites.

I really can't say enough about this hotel. The entire staff was friendly and helpful. The pool was great, the beach was gorgeous. The only bad thing about the trip was leaving!

Room Tip: I would choose a room in the 14 OR 1500s on the second or third floor.
4  Thank strawberry1247

Dear guests,

Congratulations for your recent (even if belated) honeymoon, thanks for choosing us to spend such a special occasion!

We are grateful for your appreciation of your room, restaurants, pools, and our great flora and fauna; and of course, our our wonderful staff!

We are really happy you had such a great time and hope you do not hesitate to come back again; it would be an honor.

Reviewed April 24, 2013

We stayed a week @ the Tucan just the two of us no children late forties. Pros & Cons:
CONS-if you can even call it a con, barmaid service @ pool was seldom but the bars are close enough to get your own. The only real issue I had was the store in the lobby-one lady working in there followed literally on our heels as if we would steal everything extremely annoying.
PROS:
BEACH- Beautiful huge beach very clean, red flags out everyday so unable to swim, but
PLENTY of chairs w/umbrellas.

POOLS-Wonderful! Swim pool mostly adults & it is gigantic. Kiddie pool. Adult only bar pool-
something for everyone. Water aerobics, games, entertaining. Pools closed @ 6 pm kind of early. They sell rafts I think the cheapest was 12.00 but they blow them up for you. Plenty of chairs and plenty of palapas to give shade.

FOOD- As soon as you get your room number send someone to the concierge to make dinner reservations. The best was the steakhouse, second best was the Bonsai-Japanese both excellent. The rest of the nights was buffet, not bad not good just what you would
expect.

Bars: plenty of seating, only went to lobby bars, bar at the nightly shows, & by the pool. They made you whatever you wanted. We didn't try the disco, never even saw it so I can't comment.

Children: Although we didn't have any there were plenty of families and it seemed as though they had plenty of entertainment-clowns, games, pottery painting adults could do that as well. Seemed very kid friendly.

Entertainment: Nightly shows, volleyball on the beach, escorted bike rides through town, tennis, lots of stuff you won't get bored.

Animals: Monkeys in tree tops never running on ground, peacocks, iguanas, plenty to see.

Shopping: men walking the beach selling silver, or we took a cab into town 7 bucks each way to 5th avenue it was completely safe. You barter with some shop owners. You will get haggled but that's their life. If you need cash, only go to the Scotia ATMs at the banks. and it looks like a dollar sign but its not American, for example I thought I was getting 200.00 American in pesos but I got 200 pesos so I had to do it again and a man helped me so I did 3000.00 pesos which was about 246.00 American. I got charged 16.00 for each transaction. Police with what looked like machine guns strapped across their chests everywhere. Plenty of cafes and bars to sit and relax or people watch. The Tucan was excellent you won't be disappointed. Enjoy!

Review collected in partnership with Iberostar
7  Thank Daph842
IberostarMexico, Quality Manager at Iberostar Tucan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2013

Dear guest,

We are very thankful for having chosen us for your recent vacation and for taking the time to write a review.

It is great to know you enjoyed so much our beach, pools, bars and our food! Thanks for commenting on our lovely fauna, and the entertainment we have for adults and children.

We apologise about the cons you stated, both barmaid service and the impression you got at the shops. Both comments have been passed on to the respective managers. Thanks for the feedback, as your entire satisfaction is very important to us and we can only achieve it with your input.

We hope that if you visit the Mayan Riviera again, you give us the chance to host you again, as it would be a real pleasure.

Kind regards,

Reviewed April 23, 2013

We have recently returned from a week’s stay at the Iberostar Tucan. We all loved the hotel – having read the reviews on Trip Advisor, we were all expecting to like it but obviously a little concerned about the issues raised by other reviewers, ie the beds, food etc.

As far as the beds were concerned, we had two double (twin) rooms – in our room the beds were firm but certainly not uncomfortably so, and the other room had surprisingly soft beds. The rooms themselves were very pleasant, in a good state of repair and spacious, with a very nice walk in shower in the bathroom. I was glad of the comment someone had made about the lighting, and took a mirror with me which I could use nearer to the light. Also, a full length mirror somewhere in the room would be nice. I would also strongly advise taking earplugs to ensure a good night’s sleep – lovely as it is to have the wildlife around, they do tend to start their day earlier than I would prefer!

The food was plentiful, with a wide range of choice available – I think you would have to be very choosy to go hungry in this hotel! We only visited one of the speciality restaurants, the Japanese one, and this was very good. Generally speaking though we preferred the range of choice available in the main restaurant, and were particularly impressed with the breakfast – actual crispy bacon!

Having read that there could be problems getting served in the bars, and as our holiday was in the school Easter holidays, there was a concern that it would be very busy, but we certainly did not have any problems with this, and generally found the staff in the hotel to be friendly, courteous and efficient. We would like to make a very special mention of one of the staff at reception – Bernardo. He was extremely helpful and efficient, and it was a pleasure to deal with him.

Our biggest quibble would be the wifi – or rather lack of it. The fact that this a service which is charged for is a little irritating in itself, but the unreliability of service to the hotel was very annoying – we don’t know what if anything the hotel can do about this, but these days people are used to and rely on being able to have contact with “the outside world” .... One other small quibble I had was that although it was a pleasure to see all the animals and birds around the hotel and grounds, I didn’t really enjoy seeing some of them being used as props for the photographers.

Overall though I think we would all say that it was a great choice of hotel, which we would not hesitate to recommend to others.

Room Tip: we didn't request a particular location for our room, and were in the building closest to recept...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Judy W

Dear Guest,

On behalf of our Management we thank you for posting a review about Iberostar Tucan & Quetzal and for choosing our hotel for your holidays.

Thank you for highlighting the friendliness of our staff and the variety of our exquisite gastronomy. At Iberostar both aspects are the key of our success and part of our guiding principles to ensure memorable experience to our beloved guests as it was yours.

Thank you for your comment on the photographs. We will be following that up.

We will be happy to welcome you back; please feel free to contact us before arrival to help you to enjoy your next vacations with us.

Kindest regards,

Reviewed April 19, 2013

The Good
This place is gorgeous. The staff are all hard working and wonderful. The Star Friends are adorable. The animals are amazing and we loved the jungle trail. The rooms are clean and although the beds are a bit hard I was very comfortable. The a/c is one of the best. This place has so much going for it but the management is ruining this hotel cutting corners.

The Bad:
The food. Its just not good. We are the least picky eaters on the planet but I was so dissappointed. You can get by eating a big breakfast and the hamburgers grilled by the pool are okay. I had one good meal in nine days at the Japanese ala carte (except when I ate in town). This is my second, and last A.I. and the last one had awesome food.

The drinks. The mixers from Margaritas to Mojitos are made with a sugary "Tang" tasting stuff. No real juice. The only beer is draft and Dosxx and Superior (except in your room that they stock every other day) and you will not find bottled water anywhere but your room.

The Beach is filthy. The sand was full of cigg butts, plastic straws and other bits of garbage for the entire nine days I was there, very sad because the beach itself is so beautiful. I did like that you could grab an umbrella for the beach from the towel shack so you didn't have to get up at 5am and toss a towel on a chair and leave...

Last, if you are a family this appeared to be a great resort until the eastern European woman at the beach were frolicing about topless. I saw many a parent dragging their upset child off the beach while covering their eyes. I don't know why the hotel staff or security didn't say a word to these woman so, if you have issues with this and you have kids, go elsewhere.

This was my last A.I. I will rent a condo next year. I want to drink what I like and eat good food on my vacation. Shame on Iberostar because this place is really beautiful and unique.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank sandyfeet97

Dear Guest,

On behalf of our Hotel Iberostar Tucan and Quetzal, we would like to take this opportunity to express our gratitude for choosing us during your recent family vacation.

We highly appreciate your positive comments regarding our staff, facilities and our services that make our hotel stand out. Your comments have been forwarded to our Management as they represent an opportunity to look for improvements at our hotels.

We are sorry to hear that your experience with us did not live up to our usual level concerning the food and beverage quality. We would like to mention that every time our guests present their concerns while vacationing with us, corrective actions are taken to ensure an immediate and appropriate solution in order to gain our guests loyalty and satisfaction.

Our Management is constantly looking for improvements in our facilities and services. Our guests’ comments are always a great base for us to start working on certain issues that need particular attention.

We also would like to mention that besides our snack buffet by the pool area and our delicious Japanese restaurant, we feature two main buffets located at the lobbies along with a Mexican Restaurant, Italian Restaurant, and Steak House Restaurant. Our a la carte restaurants open daily for dinner and we are always pleased to assist our guests in order to program their dinner reservations accordingly.

Within our facilities we always try to keep our family oriented style and topless is not allowed. Even though the beach is a public place if our staff notice something that does not go according to our policies we normally talk to our guests in order to keep this lineament. So far all our guests have shown understanding towards this matter.

We would also like to mention that our hotel team along with local authorities organizes on a regular basis cleaning groups who voluntarily visit different beaches to pick up garbage such as empty bottles, cigarettes buts and plastics, among others. Iberostar is enrolled with different programs involving energy saving, water saving, recycling and cleanliness as it contributes positively to local communities and their environment.

Also, we would to emphasize that your status as a costumer is highly valued; we would be privileged to see you in the near future, in order for you to experience the improvements in our facilities and services.

Best Regards,

Bel Air Collection Xpu Ha Riviera Maya
Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya
Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya
#40 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Iberostar Tucan Hotel? Share your experiences!