This is a very well run hotel in beautiful grounds and set beside a lovely beach. On our arrival we were treated to a welcome drink in reception while they sorted out the papers and then very swiftly a porter took us and our luggage on a small buggy to our room. Very efficient.
Our room was on the 2nd floor in block 14 which looks out onto the jungle. It was spacious and clean and was well equipped with everything we needed. We found the bed to be very comfortable. We were able to watch the monkeys swinging branch to branch while sitting on the balcony. Because of the trees the room was rather dark and fairly cool. The only downside to this room was the very noisy ice machine near the room. This would dispense ice all by itself very loudly and woke us up several times each night. Even my ear plugs didn't shut out this noise. We did report it to reception and were told to phone back in the middle of the night as soon as it happened which seemed extraordinary. We didn’t want to make a fuss in the middle of the night so didn’t bother reporting it again.
There was a very good choice of food and this was mostly very good. We enjoyed all our meals in the buffet restaurants both lunchtimes and evenings. My husband loved the fruit fritters and I loved the choice of fresh of melon at every meal as well as all the other fresh fruit on offer. Both the Japanese restaurant and the Steak restaurant were excellent and the waiters were very attentive. However, our meal in the Italian restaurant was rather disappointing, although again the waiters were very attentive.
The entertainment team were the best we have ever encountered. They look as if they’re having fun all day and we joined in several of the activities on offer. We enjoyed the shows in the evening as well as the live band and dancing which was usually on before and after the shows. There was also a very talented guitarist some evenings playing in the cocktail bar.
I am a keen tennis player and was disappointed with the organised tennis. I went along to the advanced tennis at 8am but this turned out to be about 20 minutes doing one routine involving non-stop running – exhausting. I was hoping for something more enjoyable and sociable. Didn’t bother to go again.
We went on a trip to the Tulum Mayan ruins. This was booked through a guy on the beach and was with Tulum Express. I would not recommend this company as it took nearly 3 hours to get there when it was only a 45 minutes journey. This was due to picking up from other hotels, being dropped off from one vehicle and waiting around for a coach to take us there. As this was only a morning excursion we didn’t have very long there. However, the guide was very informative when we got there but I wish we had done this trip with Thomson.
I would recommend this hotel. Apart from the noisy ice machine and the tennis, everything else was perfect and we enjoyed our holiday. We loved walking through the jungle looking at the animals and birds. We also appreciated all the staff who all seemed to be happy in their work and were very friendly. Iberostar should be proud of them.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Privileged situation directly on the beach of Playacar, around 3 km from the town of Playa del Carmen. Specially recommended for honeymooners. Varied, colourful entertainment programme. Large pool area. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Visit Us Inc., Orbitz, Hotwire, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Iberostar Tucan Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Iberostar Playa Del Carmen
- Iberostar Tucan Mexico
- Iberostar Tucan Playa Del Carmen
- Playa Del Carmen Iberostar
- Iberostar Tucan Quetzal
- Iberostar Tucan Playacar
- Iberostar Tucan Hotel Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico