“Great Vacation at Iberostar Tucan” 5 of 5 bubbles

Iberostar Tucan Hotel
Ranked #39 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersGold level
New York, NY
“Great Vacation at Iberostar Tucan”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2013

I am an avid worldwide traveler. I have been to many resorts in the Caribbean. This was my first trip to Mexico. I had stayed at the Iberostar in Punta Cana, DR and liked it and my traveling companion/ friend wanted to do the Riviera Maya as she loves the area. So, thus the Iberostar Tucan/Quetzal that my friend and I stayed at from Feb. 23-March 5.

I must say (and I am a very demanding person who lives in Manhattan ... need I say more? ha, ha!) this was the best all-inclusive resort for the price I have ever stayed at (and I have been to many!!!) My friends in NYC said "you paid what???"

The wildlife setting, pretty room, public areas, were very clean and inviting. When we arrived and I saw the lobby I just knew it was going to be good! Check-in was fast and efficient.

Our room was lovely, comfortable with a nice bathroom with a walk-in shower. We requested a room not on the ground floor in a quiet area and we got just that. Nice quiet balcony with a palapa roof (we were on the top floor).

Service was excellent - our hair dryer worked but did not produce hot air - I brought it down to the front desk and it was replaced in 10 minutes. Service at the buffets and specialty restaurants was excellent as well.

The food overall was very delicious - the buffets were plentiful and varied. Mexican dishes were delicious! Breakfast was fabulous - so many healthy choices which I appreciated. The agua frescas were superb (loved the chaya and cactus juices). I really concentrated on the Mexican cuisine at the buffets because well ... when in Rome! Speciality restaurants were very good - the Steak House featured make your own caesar salad and shrimp cocktail for the appetizer buffet - the filet mignon (beef tenderloin?) was excellent and the red wine was very good. Did the Japanese, Seafood and Italian restaurants also. Had the baby rosemary lamp chops at the Italian - delicious!

Libations were great - refreshing beers, wines and mixed drinks - mojitos, margaritas and martinis were enjoyed by us during our stay. One little complaint - wished they had had unsweetened fresh brewed ice tea for lunch - had diet coke instead.

Now to the best part - the pool was perfect temperature - nice chairs out of the sun were always available - the beach was beautiful - white sand with aquamarine water - again perfect temperature. Water was a little rough when we got there so did the pool - but a couple of days later the waves calmed down and the water was great. Zumba at the beach at 4:00 was really fun! Could always find a beach chair under a palapa but we would go after 2:00 when the sun was not so strong.

Entertainment - did the Las Vegas Night and Folkorico Mexicano - both fabulous. There is entertainment every night but sometime we would just talk a walk around the resort or have a night cap from the bar and bring it to our roon and relax on our patio.

I had a little medical emergency - turns out I was suffering from dehydration - the doctor was summoned and the whole situation was treated in a very professional and expeditious manner. I was very imipressed.

Overall, a great vacation and I have already recommended this resort to my niece and her husband who usually take 2 caribbean vacays a year.

There is a shopping center within walking distance of the resort - nice shops - the town of Playa del Carmen is a $7.00 cab ride away - we did that also.

Hope this is helpful - thanks Iberostar Tucan for a really wonderful vacation and experience. I hope to return again soon .

Room Tip: If you want quiet - we had room 1643 - perfect for us! Out of the fray but near the restaurants and...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
8 Thank Vaporette
IberostarMexico, Quality Manager at Iberostar Tucan Hotel, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Dear Guest,

On behalf of all our staff and Management, we want to thank you and your family for choosing Iberostar Tucan & Quetzal for your vacations!

We are glad to know that you were able to enjoy all our services. We especially want to thank you for your positive comments regarding our clean grounds and rooms, and our good quality of food & drinks. Nothing is more rewarding than our customers’ recognition.

We will look into your suggestion; they always help us greatly to achieve complete customer satisfaction.

We hope you can visit us again soon; we look forward to welcome you back.

Best regards,

Iberostar Mexico

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,006)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013

My wife and I have been coming back to the Tucan for 13 yrs. This was our 15th trip, yes we have been fortunate to go twice in the same year, twice! We have had several different buildings on both sides of the resort, but we only go ocean front now and it is well worth it. The best advise we can offer is yes you can pay more to get more at another resort but for us, this is the best bang for your buck. In a single word... PARADISE! "PDC" has changed ALOT in the last 13 yrs. But Iberostar Tucan Quetzal has continued to make us feel like family. If you choose this resort, look for Chef Orlando on the beach, lobby bartender Santo, Lobby waitress Micheala, beach waitress Ophelia, and Disco bartender Henry, and let them know that we will be " home" soon!

• Stayed December 2012
3 Thank missingPDC
Dear Guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for choosing our Hotel for your vacations again and again; thank you so much for your loyalty!

We are glad to hear that you keep having such amazing vacations with us. We thank you for all your comments regarding the service, facilities and of course our wonderful staff. We will make sure that they all receive your comments; they will be happy to know you appreciate them so much :-)

We sincerely hope to welcome you back in the near future to your home away from home!

Warm regards,

Iberostar México
Winchester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013

We enjoyed our second stay at the Iberostar Tucan/Quetzal (same place, odd that they try to say it is two) from Feb. 14-24. We first went two years in April ago for our first-ever all-inclusive. Followed up last year with a trip to Beaches Turks and Caicos, which is a lot more expensive. We liked Iberostar enough to return, and were overall glad we did.

Weather: February weather can be bit fickle and we had two days at first in the 70s and windy. Still nice, but not swimming days for the most part. April two years ago was awesome.

Food: As you can see the reviews are all over the map on food, and not just here. I disagree with anyone who says it isn't good, or fresh. It is both. Is it gourmet:? No, but who really expects that at an AI at this price point? The buffets have a lot of variety, and it's a much easier system overall for everything from if you just want a snack to if you want to eat a meal than was Beaches. Friendly staff, nice setting. No complaints.

Pool: Big and fun. What more can you want? And having kids, I like that they keep the swim up bar is separate. The kids can get rowdy in the big pool, the heavy drinkers in the little one, and all is good.

The towel game: It is on big time, especially if you want a cabana. Got one several days, but had to claim it before 7. And many, many lounge chairs were claimed by 6:30.

Beach: Long walks possible, great time in the waves, comfortable loungers. Never got too hassled by the merchants. They're just trying to make a living, and we so obviously not buying that they left us alone.

Staff: Hard working and kind. Not much flexibility when it comes to asking for things just a tad outside the rules. Like trying to move some tables together in the buffet dining area.

Kids club: Our kids were a little old now (8 and 11) for the kids club, and the woman who was there two years ago (Michelle) is no longer there, so they didn't spend as much time as we thought they might. The new woman was much more of a babysitter, keep things in order, wasn't all that impressed with her, but, again, could be an age of my kids issue. They did still like the kids mini-disco at night.

Entertainment: Almost exactly the same as two years ago. Thank goodness the magician had a few new tricks. My son loves his show, and was one of only two we stayed all the way through. If you don't feel like leaving the premises, the entertainment each night is fun enough.

Annoyances: Key cards kept dying, and not from magnetics. Didn't see that room was close to the service room until too late, and it got a little loud, but just not quite loud enough to go though the moving hassle.

Overall: Great value, awesome place to kick back in the sun with a good book and decent food.

Best "bonus": The setting. They maintain lovely grounds, with big trees, birds, monkeys, agoutis, coatis, and more. Just a nice extra.

Room Tip: Junior ocean suites are great for the views. Just watch out for being placed enar the service room.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank tomofboston
IberostarMexico, Quality Manager at Iberostar Tucan Hotel, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your positive review.

We are very delighted that you have had an enjoyable stay with us.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experiences about your recent visit in our hotel. It was a great pleasure to read your valuable and encouraging feedback.

We thank you too for your constructive criticism; it is very important to receive it from our guests, as it is the best way to identify areas that have room for improvement.

We are looking forward to welcoming you again in Iberostar Tucan & Quetzal.

Boston, Massachusetts, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2013

We stayed at the Iberostar Tucan, Feb. 27 - Mar. 6, 2013. I was with my sister, two cousins and 2 friends and all of us had a fantabulous time! We stayed there last year as well. We booked our vacation through Apple Vacations ~ very easy experience from start to finish. The Tucan is clean, inviting, staff is unbelievably friendly and attentive, relaxing, walkable, plush and has a very "safe" feeling. Beach is beautiful, water is warm and clear, pool is clean and fun. Food at breakfast, lunch and dinner is all good, plentiful and choices galore. Alcoholic drinks are yummy, water/ice is fine to drink, juices/sodas available. Don't hesitate to go outside of the gates and walk around. You'll find a Starbucks and little shopping mall filled with mexican goods. Definitely take a cab to 5th Avenue ($7 ride) ~ there you will find: Starbucks, restaurants, bars, jewelry shops and fun people watching!

One suggestion I gave the hotel is to purchase new mattresses and plumper pillows!

I give the Iberostar Tucan and town of Playa del Carmen two thumbs up and can't wait to go back!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Iberostar

1 Thank Sheelsy
Dear Guest,

On behalf of Iberostar Tucan & Quetzal, we would like to thank you for visiting our resort during your recent vacation here.

Your experience and the information you are providing may help others to choose Iberostar Tucan & Quetzal for their next vacation in Mexico.

Thank you once again for your comments. It would be a pleasure to welcome you and your family back to our resort in the near future.

Glenville, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2013 via mobile

My fiancé and I had a great time at iberostar tucan. The resort was beautiful and we loved the wildlife and the beach was amazing. The grounds are well kept and we saw all types of animals. The staff is very nice and always willing to help. I didn't think the beds were as bad as everyone says I slept fine each night. My only real complain are the food and drinks. The alcohol is awful I love piña colatas but they use this fake syrup crap that make all their frozen drinks have an odd taste, next time ill just bring my own liquor. Also the food wasn't good. The only restauraunt that I really enjoyed the food was Japenese that was amazing so we went there twice. Would go back was a good value.

• Stayed February 2013
Dear Guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for taking the time to write your feedback regarding your recent stay at our Iberostar Hotels.

Your comments regarding our beautiful resort and the wildlife are much appreciated.

We are sorry to hear that your experience with us did not live up to our usual level of service concerning the food and drink quality. We already shared it with the persons involved in order to look into areas where we could enhance our different dining choices. Of course, your well being and your entire satisfaction is our primary goal. We certainly believe that our guests’ comments provide us with useful insights to assist our staff to identify areas of concern.

We hope you give us the opportunity to welcome you back in the future to Iberostar Tucan & Quetzal. Your status as loyal guests to our hotels is appreciated.

Best Regards,

Turner Valley, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2013

Stayed at Tucan from February 25 - March 4 2013. We had an Excellent time during our stay at this resort. The grounds are beautiful and the maintence staff are always working to keep it clean and manicured. The rooms were always kept clean and the bar fridge was kept stocked everyday. I hear a few complaints about the beds, but ours was very comfortable and not hard at all. We had great sleeps. We would get an occasional sewer smell in our room, but we would open the patio door and keep the bathroom door closed and it went away. Honestly we only slept in the room so it never bothered us too bad. The beach was excellent, It does get busy so if you want a palapa be sure to be out there around 6 30 am. It is a very long beach as well so its great for walks. The bar staff was great they were very attentative. The Buffet was very good as well, I kind of missed having it on the nights we went to the a la carte restaurants. Restaurant staff was also very attentative. The entire Staff at this resort do an Excellent job making your stay enjoyable. It was an excellent vacation and I would definately stay at an Iberostar resort. Our only complaint was when wy wife had won a ticket to Coco Bongo after winning one of the evening events. When we tried to collect the ticket from the Coco Bongo representative he danced around it for a while and then he wouldnt give her the ticket unless our whole group would purchase their tickets from him. It resulted in an argument and he didnt get anything from us, and we didnt get the ticket.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank MrBalloonhands
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your favorable comments following your stay at the Iberostar Tucan & Quetzal.

We have shared your comments with our hotel team and we are all grateful for such feedback and very happy that you enjoyed your vacations with us.

Thank you for your comment about the Coco Bongo ticket. It is an external company but we want our guests to get what is due to them and of course enjoy it to the fullest, so we will be investigating this further.

newark ny USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2013

having never been to Mexico we weren't sure what to expect, but when we stepped out of our bus and into the lobby we knew we were in paradise. After receiving a yummy fruit drink at the desk we headed to our room, the colors of the buildings were amazing, so tropical and brilliant. As we wound our way towards our ocean view room suddenly we saw the sea and it was a gorgeous torquise color. Our room was just steps from the water and we made sure we didn't waste time running into the surf. That night dinner was great, so much food and so many choices. We then went to listen to a solo musician at the lobby bar. So comfortable was the lobby, we soon were relaxing so much it was time for bed and off to our room we went and listened to the waves all night, drifting off to an amazing sleep. We liked it so much there and we have only been home three days now, that we have already started our "vacation fund" to Playa del carmen and Iberostar Tucan....the best!!!!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Iberostar

6 Thank sharon-floyd
Dear Guest,

On behalf of Iberostar Tucan & Quetzal Management and staff, we would like to thank you for visiting our resort during your recent vacation here. Your positive comments regarding our food and the beautiful scenery are much appreciated.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Iberostar Paraiso Lindo
#5 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,755 reviews
Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa

Been to Iberostar Tucan Hotel? Share your experiences!