WINNER WONDERLAND

GreenLeadersGold level
Costa Mesa, California
“Good cheap fun getaway”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2012

This is my first stay at Iberostar Tucan. I was on a budget this year so I decided to go to Playa Del Carmen area. My wife and I had chosen this resort because it has water aerobics, yoga, jet skis, and animals on the resort and seemed like we would not be bored there. We stayed 7 nights and here are my thoughts. The pool is deep, large, spacious and clean. We did like the pool but this resort lacks a main swim up bar. They have a small little side pool that has a swim up bar but it is very shaded in this pool so the water can be very cool and it is loud there with music and drinkers and not that large of a bar in it. The beach is very nice there, it’s not rocky and not to wavy. Water is clear and warm. On the beach there is always chairs available and they have jet ski rental nearby. There were not a lot of waitresses around the beach or pool you kind of have to get up and serve yourself at the main bar which is located in between and beach. Drink selections are little limited but they are made well. There is an indoor and outdoor buffet right next to the beach and pool so you don’t have to walk far at all for lunch or a snack. This resort is great for activities and we found the staff wonderful. They work very hard there as you will see them in the morning to late at night working. I played tons of beach volleyball and water polo that was well organized by the staff. My wife enjoyed the water aerobics and yoga with Natalya who she found very enthusiastic and professional. They have a Children’s pool separate from the general pool with a jungle gym so you really only bump into children during your meals. Animals everywhere which brings a peaceful quality to the resort. We were guilty of feeding the monkeys. They come right up to you if you pull a banana out on your balcony and will take the banana right out of your hand. I have some great photos of it. The shopping in the resort was very lacking but about a 5 minute walked from the resort is a shopping plaza with a Starbucks. The plaza has a lot of stores and great prices. The entertainment team is a little small so the night shows are just ok. They do have pool tables and a couple nice nighttime bars as well. Disco didn’t open to late so I didn’t get a chance to check it out as I would be too tired to go from all the afternoon sun and drinking. The buffet food was not good. We have been to resorts nearby and always found decent food at the buffets but I have to admit it was hard to find anything here. We did go to a couple restaurants and found the Japanese Restaurant was good. The Italian and Tropical restaurant was not so good. The Steakhouse restaurant was very booked and did not have any openings to very late so we didn’t get to try it. We found the rooms to be very nice and spacious however the TV was outdated and the station selection was very poor, not much in English. Overall we liked Iberostar Tucan. Great staff, activities, tons of animals on the grounds with a beautiful beach and pool. I would stay again if I got a great price on it again. Remember you pay for what you get so I would recommend this resort for a cheap fun getaway but not a luxury getaway.

2 Thank outsiders111
IberostarMexico, Quality manager at Iberostar Tucan Hotel, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Dear Guest,

On behalf of Iberostar Tucan & Quetzal, we would like to thank you for visiting our resort during your recent vacation here. Your experience and the information you are providing may help others to choose Iberostar Tucan & Quetzal for their next vacation in Mexico.
Thank you once again for your comments. It would be a pleasure to welcome you and your family back to our resort in the near future.

Iberostar Mexico

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (949)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2012

I was recommended the hotel by my sister who visited 3 Christmases ago and had a great time with no problems. We arrived on Sun 18 November from the UK for a week only and had a lovely first 3 days in our oceanfront suite. It was a mixed bag of sunshine and showers though possibly a few weeks too early to completely miss the end of the rainy season.. The beach is wonderful and the sea is so blue (when the sun shines). The service from the staff was very attentive and I personally enjoyed the buffets though after a week they would have become repetitive. I'm glad we went out on a trip to Chichen Itza last Wednesday because from Thursday morning I was ill. I too suffered from extreme sickness and diarrhoea for the last 4 days of our holiday. I ate bread and water for the whole time, felt extremely tired and so weak from lack of food. I had no idea what had caused it and just wanted to go home. The in house doctor said there had been 'several' cases but we just thought that was possibly the norm in tropical climates. It did ruin the holiday as I felt so poorly. I've now been back 48 hours and have just had my first real hot meal since last week only just getting any appetite back. We had bookings for the Mexican and Italian restaurants but never got there!

Room Tip: We opted for an oceanfront suite as we wanted to be near and see the sea. I loved walking through th...
2 Thank Colchester98
Dear Guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for visiting Iberostar Tucan & Quetzal and taking the time to provide us with your valuable feedback relating to the areas in which you feel that there is room for improvement.

We are very sorry that you got ill during your vacation. We would like to apologize for the inconveniences you encountered with our different services and facilities, the satisfaction of our guests is our utmost concern and we strive to provide memorable experiences for all of them.

Enteric viruses, which causes vomiting and diarrhea, have the characteristic of being transmitted from person to person (like the flu), so it cannot be associated exclusively or directly with food or drinks.

Iberostar Hotels and Resorts work very strictly according to the internal and external hygiene regulations. Our hotel has a specific Health & Safety department which works in association with consultancy and an independent external company who is in charge of verifying our hygiene procedures. The analyses performed on food, ice, water and surfaces discarded the presence of viruses.

Once again we would like to apologize for the inconveniences occurred during your stay with us and we would like to remind you that our guests well being is our priority and the hotel will not take any risk when it comes to the hygiene and maintenance issues. Our guests’ comments always assist us to identify areas of improvement.

We sincerely hope that you will give us the opportunity to serve you in the future in order for you to experience the positive changes our company continuously does to enhance our facilities and services with the only intention to offer you a relaxing and enjoyable vacation.

Warm regards,

Vancouver, Bc
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2012

I thought this place was wonderful. Five stars on everything. Food was awesome. Although I would skip the Italian a la carte restaurant, nothing spectacular. Steakhouse served up the most amazing steaks I have ever tasted. Buffets had lots of variety and wasn't the same daily. I have a million dietary restrictions, but had no problems because of the huge variety and because not everything was drowned in sauces. Although, if you don't eat bread/eggs or sugar you're out of luck for breakfast. But there was always lots of fruit.
The hotel was spectacular; built around a jungle/garden with lots of wildlife. Monkeys, flamingos, peacocks, tucans, and many many more.
Beautiful beach. Period. It was awesome.
Service outstanding.
Security was top notch, no need to worry about the problems of mexico, if you know what I mean.
Internet: forget it. Even if you pay the outrageous amount they are charging for wireless, it only works in the lobby, and sometimes not. Besides, you should leave all that behind and enjoy the beach.
They have a package you can purchase when you get there for unlimited long distance for north america for $25.
I took only usd and never had to convert any money at any time.
Take lots of one dollar bills for tips.
The entertainment was actually entertaining. You wanted to go see it. Lots of audience participation.
Great place for kids/families.
Not the drunkfest that you see at some all inclusives. More family oriented and older crowd.
I rated 4/5 for value because, hey, who doesn't want to pay less! But it was worth every penny.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Corina P
IberostarMexico, Quality manager at Iberostar Tucan Hotel, responded to this review, December 2, 2012
Dear Guest,

Just a short note to thank you very much for your wonderful review sent to Trip
Advisor.
Your insightful comments are highly appreciated.
Thank you again for sharing your trip with others who may be considering a stay
with us. Looking forward to have the pleasure of hosting you again and again,
receive warm regards from Playa del Carmen.

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2012 via mobile

Beautiful beach, beautiful grounds but the sickness of so many people including 4 out of our party of 7 was in speakable. we spent at least two days each vomiting, diarrhea and fever. Can't tell you how many other people were also sick. The worst vacation of our lives. The food was not good. The speciality restaurants were ok the days we actually were well enough to eat. Two days home and still not quite right. The drinks were made with sub par alcohol at best. Worst all inclusive we've ever stayed at. Make sure you bring plenty if Lysol and disinfect your room if you decide to stay at this property. Management denied any problems but we personally met 30 or more people that were sick at the same time as our family members. Go somewhere smaller and newer. Property could use a renovation. Missing tiles in pool and showers. Smell of mold in 2 of our 3 rooms. Pool bar was disappointing at best. My best advise....stay away from this property which is also connected to the Iberostar quetzal

• Stayed November 2012
7 Thank Kathywill
Michigander
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2012

Stayed from 11/10-17/12. I did a lot of research before choosing this All Inclusive resort for my wife and I. There are a plethora of AI resorts in this area and many of the large companies have more than one. Even the Iberostar Tucan is really two resorts in one as the Quertzal is adjoining and you access each during your stay. The resort exceeded our expectations and met our particular needs of: not overly large with to much walking, great beach that you can walk on (heading south from resort you can walk past the Sandos AI for over a mile with no other resorts - head north and you can walk all the way to Playa Del Carmen in about 30 minutes), close to PDC with easy access (cab $7/US, 90 pesos).

Jungle setting was very nice and relaxing to see animals and birds. We had monkeys eating outside our room (Building 12) every morning. Open architecture of buildings and resort was pleasant. Beach and water a strong point. Like most resorts the 'reserving' of prime spots is an issue here too but we were always able to find lounges to use. Pool area was fine except pool bar that as others noted could use an upgrade. Service in all areas was better than I get at most places at home. I took a bunch of $1 bills and tipped good service and people definately appreciated it and remembered you. Asked for better quality of tequilla in Lobby and Showroom bar and they provided.

Food overall was very good. Saw alot of attention to keeping things clean, refreshed, and a pretty good variety in buffets. We emailed ahead and got the ala carte resturant and dinner times we wanted. We ate at the Italian (excellent in every way), Japanese (sushi and habachi cooking very well done - steak, chicken, shrimp and/or octupus), Steakhouse (alot of people rated this very high but we were slightly disappointed - corn-on-the-cob was 1/2 a cob, Rib-eye steak same as served in smaller portions on buffets). We tried to get another ala carte reservation but were not successful.

Impressed by the # of people who were multiple repeat visitors (up to thirteen times) which to me is a measure of consistency and meeting people's expectations. Probably 40% English/European, 40% American/Canadians, 20% South American's during this stay. Not to many children during this time of year. Did not ever see the nightclub as it did not open until 10:30 pm and we were asleep. Some of the evening shows were so-so but the Mexican Folklore night was very well done.

We took a day trip to Cozumel on ferry (good idea to only buy one-way tickets - about $22 round trip/person) as this allows you to come back on the hour. Went to the Iberostar Cozumel ($20 taxi each way) and ate and drank free with guest priviledges. Nice way to see another property and extend your cost savings. This would also apply to 3 of the 4 Iberostar resorts north of Playa.

Definately got our money's worth with food and drink and ambience and would strongly consider returning if in this area in the future.

Room Tip: Building's 11, 12, and 13 in Tucan side closest to beach and pool. We emailed ahead and request...
2 Thank GGGKalamazoo
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your favorable comments following your stay in November.

We have shared your comments with our hotel team and we are all grateful for such feedback and very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us.

al in bebington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2012

Hotel could not fault,food was good and varied,cleanliness,second to none,hotel staff from top to bottom were friendly and very polite,even the gardener s spent time to speak to you,our room was near the beach and swimming pool,but any room would be convenient in its own way,we loved walking through the jungle with our grand son,3yrs old spotting the animals,the agoutis,were his favorite.the monkeys were mine.also we walked around the quitsel next door,I wouldn't,t mind staying there either,playa car lovely place to be in November it rained for 2hrs,Tuesday,although it was dull it was nice and warm and people were still playing in the sea and swimming pool,entertainment,the team worked very hard to keep us happy and always had something to say the ladies were lovely ,the men were camp as a row of tents,with great sens of humer,Marrisio & Carlos/Charlie always talked to the kid and loved to nurse bobby,the baby,and hi five Toby,, thank to all who made our Holliday great chow chow Micky mouse.

Room Tip: Our room was 1147/1148 3rd floor a bit difficult for the pram but we managed,
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank alanjones10
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your favorable comments following your stay in November.

Boulder, Colorado
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2012

Our family has stayed at this resort around thanksgiving for four years in a row now. We are a large and diverse group and while we all have had some complaints over the years, the resort has always worked well overall, especially for those of us with kids.

This year was an exception. Everyone in our party was disappointed with this visit. I will list the low points:

Front desk service was slow and blasé. We were always made to feel as if we were imposing on them.

In this day and age having wifi in only a small part of the lobby is unacceptable. In order to utilize wifi I would have to walk 5 minutes to the lobby, wait another ten minutes for front desk staff to help, then pay $5.00 for every 15 minutes of service. 5 stars?

The pool is cold. There is no hot tub other than a lukewarm one in the spa separated by sexes. There is a jacuzzi in the center of the pool. It's actually colder than the pool itself. 5 Stars?

In our previous stays we found that most of the staff was friendly, with some notable exceptions that were easily avoided. This year we found that several key staff members were downright surly. Example: On my first visit to the beachfront bar, the bartenders at the beach bar actually insulted me in Spanish assuming I didn't understand them. So my choice the rest of the trip was to go back to these jerks or to wait 30-45 minutes for a waitress on the beach. 5 stars?

On previous visits we were allowed to seat ourselves in the buffet. This allowed us to stick with friendly, helpful waiters. Some of these guys are really great. This time around they insisted on seating us every time which often resulted in getting slow, mildly rude waiters. Expecting timely delivery of coffee is not asking a lot, but some of these guys seemed really bothered by it.

The food is ok overall, pretty basic Pre-cooked buffet fare with some nice exceptions. What is really lacking is variety. It's all the same food all the time. The restaurants offer a small break from this with the entrees, but the side dishes and desserts are exactly what's in the buffet night after night.

What else? Like so many other reviewers, our room did not have the bed configuration promised. The beds are hard and getting a foam pad or extra blanket is a major hassle. Several areas reeked of sewage. We were driven in a luggage cart through a cloud of fumigation.

To top it all off, nearly everyone in our party got sick. We talked to many, many other people staying there who were also sick. We also overheard many people at the front desk and restaurants talking of sick family members. Clearly something was going on. What was the hotel response? Depended on who you asked. One guy claimed that he had heard nothing about people getting sick, a bald faced lie. The hotel doctor said there was a flu epidemic going around the hotel. Another person at the front desk said the epidemic was affecting the entire peninsula. My guess? It was the food. Some of our party became ill within 24 hours of arrival.

The beach is wonderful, some of the staff is great, the grounds are beautiful, the animals are cool, and some of the food is pretty good. There are enough positives about this place to have kept us coming back, but next year well find somewhere else to spend our money.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya
#38 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 4,977 reviews
Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa

Been to Iberostar Tucan Hotel? Share your experiences!