7,197 results
All reviewsstar friendshowler monkeysjungle areaspecialty restaurantsswim up bardressel diversjapanese restaurantate at the japanesepool beachgated communityother resortsemailed the hotelplenty of chairsmagic showcab rideapple vacationsbuffet food
Reviewed July 15, 2012

Love this hotel - the beach is just lush - plenty of sunbeds - pool kept very clean and surrounding area - plenty of wild animals in the jungle within the hotel grounds and lots of attention from staff who are all happy, jolly and eager to please. The dive centre (Dressels) is suberb with very attentive, experienced staff who are extremely safety consciouss which makes you relax immediately and enjoy your diving in a chilled manner - the only negative thing about this trip was having to come home so soon :((( Totally recommend this hotel !!!

Room Tip: away from the neighbour hotel due to noise level at night but does not go on that late so unless you like early nights its not an issue
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank YorkieYorkshire
IberostarMexico, Quality manager at Iberostar Tucan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2012

Dear Guest,

On behalf of Iberostar Tucan & Quetzal, we would like to thank you for visiting our resort during your recent vacation here. Your experience and the information you are providing may help others to choose Iberostar Tucan & Quetzal for their next vacation in Mexico.

Thank you once again for your comments.

It would be a pleasure to welcome you and your family back to our resort in the near future.

Reviewed July 13, 2012

The resort is beautiful. Lots of activities. Great for kids. Tropical zoo in the middle of resort.
Great buffet. Great beach. Restaurants very average. Shows were entertaining. The only real negative we had was that they were painting the buildings during our stay and they made a mess everywhere and didnt even put wet paint signs up on the walls.
Overall though, we had a great time.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Iberostar
4  Thank rosebutterh00ps

Dear Guest,

Just a short note to thank you very much for your review sent to Trip
Advisor. Your insightful comments are highly appreciated.

Looking forward to have the pleasure of hosting you again and again,receive warm regards from Playa del Carmen.

Reviewed July 12, 2012

My husband and I (both in our mid-30’s) stayed here from June 21st-June 29, 2012. This was the first Iberostar I have stayed at, the other all-inclusive resorts I have stayed at have mostly been Riu’s and Barcelos. And honestly all of these resorts have the same types of standard amenities. I chose this resort because of the price, I liked the way it looked in pictures, the jungle atmosphere, and that it had umbrellas on the beach (the Riu’s next door did not). I was not disappointed in this hotel or brand at all, I would definitely stay here again. I was a little confused about the two resorts in one concept (Tucan & Quetzal) but it is fine and everything is shared between the two resort (just really one resort with two front desks). Here’s a kind of long run down of my experience:

Front Desk & Lobby: Both lobbies are gorgeous and I loved the thatched roofs. The furniture in the lobbies aren’t very comfortable though and my husband and I usually hang out in the lobbies at night and have a couple drinks while we play some card games. We did prefer the Quetzal lobby better, their furniture was slightly more comfortable and couch like whereas the Tucan lobby had a lot of bench type furniture. The front desk and check-in went smooth and the check-in clerk was friendly and helpful. When we checked out the clerk was friendly and seemed to really want to know if we had had a good stay. We weren’t offered a welcome drink but that wasn’t a big deal. We did use the wifi at both lobbies. It was $3 for 15 minutes and it worked fast enough for us. When we used it at the Quetzal lobby they let us pay cash but when we used it at the Tucan we had to charge our room. It wasn’t a big deal but strange. At the Tucan they said we had to charge it because they didn’t have our passport numbers on file. That seemed an odd reason and I had written our passport numbers on the check-in slip, but it all worked out fine. The lobby bars were nice and had a smoking and non-smoking area. Sometimes they even had popcorn which was well popped and evenly salted. I must say that the lobby is probably the place there I got bit by mosquitoes the most. I did use bug spray every night after the first night and that seemed to help, we did sit a little closer to the smokers sometimes too and that might have helped too. The lobby is also where you make your dinner reservations, at the guest relations desk. The lady working it was very friendly and we had no trouble making reservations for multiple days. Some people emailed reservations requests in advance, I did not and I don’t think it would be necessary. At other all inclusive where we have stayed we have had to queue up early in the morning for that day or the next day only reservations. So being able to walk up in the afternoon and make reservations easily and for two or three days later was a big plus for this resort.

Room: We were in building 12 and it was just a little past the jungle area in the middle of the hotel, by the pool, and not too far from the beach. I loved the location, and I could see a little sliver of ocean from our room. We didn’t have any monkeys on our balcony, but we were able to see them and other wildlife from our room almost everyday. The monkeys seemed to like to hang out on the roof of the building next to us (11) and we could see where they would burrow through the thatch on the roofs. Upon entering the room it was clean, however behind our garbage can I found medicine wrappers from the previous occupant. I wasn’t too pleased about that, but the rest of the room looked clean. There was a small welcome bottle of tequila for us and note with our names on it welcoming us. Honestly, I didn’t find the beds hard at all, neither did my husband. It seemed as if our mattress was newer and had a cushiony top on it not a pad either. I was actually disappointed by this, I am strange and I enjoy a super firm mattress. I like the rock hard beds of the all-inclusive. The bathroom was nice and I didn’t mind not having a bathtub, I like being able to walk normally into the huge shower. The water pressure was good and we always had hot water when showering. The bath towels are huge! And they kept supplying us with towels when we needed them. There is soap and shampoo dispensers in the shower, however they aren’t marked as which is which. The safe is electronic and large. I don’t think a laptop would fit but ipads would for sure. There aren’t many drawers but plenty of shelf space. On the balcony there is a drying rack, but with the humidity we found our stuff dried faster when we hung it in the bathroom. The mini-fridge has 2 kinds of beer, Coke, Coke light (which is a lot different than American Diet Coke), water, and other sodas and was stocked nicely for us through our stay. There were even tall and shorter bottles of water.

Grounds of the Resort: The pool area is great, lots of places to sit, and some covered bed areas. We liked the flowing form of the pool, zero entry areas, and access to steps. The bubbly area in the middle was nice and was warm in the middle of the day. Actually the temperature of the pool was a little warm but refreshing still, and the water level got a little deep especially near the exit for the swim-up bar. The main pool always seemed clean to us. We only went in the adults only swim up bar area twice. It did seem poorly maintained, we didn’t like that the stools moved (it seemed unsafe for the drunkies in there), and it did have a lot of debris and bugs floating in it, and we often saw kids swimming around it there too so it didn’t seem to be such an adults only area. Towels were always plentiful (unlike other places we have been) and they had a book share area next to it. The beach was great and that is where we spent must of our time. We took long beach walks, the area near the shoreline isn’t completely flat but a little sloped. But we loved the early morning beach walks and collecting shells. The area of beach to the right isn’t developed and we liked walking down to the cove in the morning because it was empty and peaceful. We are early beach birds we do get our umbrella early, but after getting it we are using it right after breakfast. I did see spaces reserved by people who didn’t use there umbrella or lounger until later in the day and I was disgusted with that. If you don't get one of the built in umbrellas on the beach you can get an umbrella from the towel area, you will just have to put it into the sand yourself, no biggie though. The water is has some fun waves to play in, but nothing too overpowering. It was pretty clear water too, and you just can’t beat the color, even on the rainy day we had it was still beautiful! The beach did have some seaweed on it but maintance did rake every morning. Seaweed didn’t bother me, I hated seeing the garbage washed up further down on the beach that wasn’t cleaned up. The rest of the grounds was well maintained too, and the jungle area was fun to walk through. The path was a little uneven though so maybe after a few drinks the jungle path would be tricky! We enjoyed seeing all the animals, especially since this was a main reason I booked the hotel.

Food and Drink: The good: beer, banana daiquiris, and dirty monkeys. But the mojitos are amazing!!!! The food in general is good, nothing super gourmet but unless you are super duper picky you will find stuff you’ll like. There was plenty of variety. Just remember they are cooking for large numbers of people from all around the world. We liked the ice cream stand on the beach, the coconut ice cream rocks! As for the specialty restaurants we went to the steakhouse twice (each time was great), Italian once (just okay), and the Mexican restaurant. After reading reviews we expected not to like the food at the Mexican restaurant but we enjoyed it a lot. I highly recommend the special tacos, mixture of steak, chorizo, and bacon. The Star friends were friendly, one ate lunch with us one day so that was interesting. There is bingo everyday at 3:30 but they only play 2 rounds. We loved the aqua gym and did that everyday we were at the resort! There are plenty of other activities. There is sometimes music in the lobby, but in the theater there seemed to be a band (the star band) every night at about 8:30 and they were fun to listen to. And there was a nightly show at 9:30 we only stayed awake for the Mexican night. Don’t miss that show, it was great!

Other: We did walk to the small shopping area nearby and it took about 5 minutes, the pharmacy there has reasonable prices on snacks. The taxi into to downtown costs $7. We went to Cozumel one day and that was fun to get a taxi and have him drive us to the ruins and around the island. We also did Rio Secreto, we chose that tour because it was supposed to rain again the next day (it didn’t) and thought that would be something good to do in the rain (it would be). We did enjoy the cave tour and swimming in the underground river and it was informative, it was a good ½ day tour. Also did some shopping around Playa otherwise it was mostly hanging at the hotel. Overall everyone at the resort seemed to be ready for a good vacation and respectful others too. People really seemed to keep control of their kids, sometimes people just let there kids go wild. Unfortunately, some of the loudest and rudest people we encountered on the beach or in the restaurants were Americans. There was a group of people in their 40’s that were loud and cursing, and really drunk and practically yelling in their conversations on the beach.. The mom kept yelling mulitple times to her teenage son to make sure he uses protection with the girl he just met. I’m no prude I swear too but they were old enough to know better and just because you are on vacation doesn’t give you a right to be a jerk. Another large group of people in the steakhouse restaurant (who weren’t dressed nicely for dinner at all) being rude to the wait staff and loud. Anyway, I suppose those types of people can be anywhere, it just bugs me.

So, if I was in the area again I would definitely look into this hotel. Just remember to pack some bug spray for at night! If you have any questions please feel free to send me a message.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
15  Thank ajrwdwgirl

Reviewed July 11, 2012

Just returned from 2 weeks of bliss!
The weather forecast before we left said that it was gonna rain for the full 2 weeks but we have found out to ignore all weather forecasts. The weather was wonderful every day!
It is our 3rd time to this hotel and we even brought another couple along this time and they loved it too!
The steak house, japanese and italian were our favourite however the buffet resturants were always great!
The mexican staff are amazing and go the extra mile to make your holiday special.
room 1242 is very good with a pool and sea view.
As we were returning visitors the hotel sent us gifts of fruit and chocolate covered strawberries!
Coba day out is a must, you get to see the Mayan temples, a mayan village( you cannot give them money or anything) and you get to swim in a cenote which is wonderful!
Coco Bongos is also a must and we went to Cocos in Playa del Carmen this time and it is exactly the same as the one in Cancun. the show is amazing and would suit all age groups (adults only)
I have visited many iberostar hotels and although Iberostar Bavaro is my favourite this hotel is a very close second and def the best hotel in Mexico.
it is small enough to get the personal touch I like plus it is close enough to Playa to go out and about.
book this hotel today!!

Room Tip: ask for a room in block 12 facing the jungle and the sun rise
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank JoeynPacey

Reviewed July 9, 2012

This is an all inclusive resort. We had an oceanfront suite which cost a bit more. The room was adequate. The view of the ocean was great.
The service at the resort was excellent. From the cleaning people to the bar tenders to the food servers, it was excellent.
The food was not so great. The sit down restaurants are not worth the hassle of wearing pants and making reservations. By the end of the week, i was very tired of the food.
This is a good resort for families and couples. I would not recommend singles folks as there is little to do. There is a disco, but it was usually empty. We would take a taxi(7-9 US dollars each way) to the clubs in playa because there was not much to do on the resort.
Wifi is available in lobby only. I think this is pretty poor given that it is 2012.

Room Tip: Pay for the ocean front suite
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank catchyginger

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your hotel review here in TripAdvisor. We appreciate your comments and balanced feedback about the hotel and are glad to see that you enjoyed your stay with us overall.

Guest satisfaction is the goal of our management. For this reason we will take your feedback to work in certain areas that might need to be improved.

Thank you again for your comments. We do take all feedback very seriously as it does assist us to refine our services and continue to offer the best possible standards for our guests.

It would be a pleasure to welcome you back to our resort in the near future.