“Wonderful Vacation”

Iberostar Tucan Hotel
Ranked #46 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed April 23, 2012

My daughter, 42, and I visited Iberostar Tucan in February 2012. This was my second time in two years. Everything was just as wonderful as it was the year before when I visited with my other daughter, son-in-law and 3 grandchildren. Iberostar Tucan has beautiful grounds. My daughter woke up early every day to take pictures of all the wildlife on this property. The sounds of waterfalls, birds, surf, and happy music fill the air. The first time I was here the beds were hard but I didn't ask for a foam pad. This visit we had that put on immediately and I had no problem sleeping. The first visit we were concerned because my grandson has serious food allergies. The resort provided us with a letter in Spanish to hand to all restaurant managers and they told my daughter which things were safe for him to eat. He said he felt safer here than at home. The staff even made sure which rolls he could have that were not made with egg as the hotdog and hamberger buns contained eggs as well as the hamburger itself. This time food was not an issue. It was plentiful and I was nourished. I guess I eat to live not live to eat. Great wait staff. We were always able to find a spot to relax either on the beach or at the pool. The Star Friends, especialy Mauricio, were very attentive to us and my daughter enjoyed that. They became like friends during the week we were there. I would definately return to Iberostar Tucan.

Room Tip: I asked for a room in building 11 or 12. I was given 1121 and it was perfect with views of the gulf...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank 4Wombat
IberostarMexico, Quality manager at Iberostar Tucan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your detailed hotel review. We appreciate your positive comments and feedback about the hotel.
We have shared your comments with our hotel team and we are all very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We hope to welcome you back to Iberostar Tucan & Quetzal at some stage in the near future.

Quality manager - Iberostar Mexico

There are newer reviews for Iberostar Tucan Hotel

Reviewed April 23, 2012

4th time to this resort. Always have the best time. Upgraded to ocean front room. This trip was a present from my husband for my retirement. My daughter and I went and left the guys at home. Service was great as usual. The entertainment was great. Everyone made you feel at home. Clean room! Staff was great-Ricardo, Mario and Shiela were the best. Beds were not hard as described in other reviews. Beach and dining areas were kept clean. Take insulated mugs to the beach as we did-the drinks stay cold longer. Something going on at all times if you wish to join in or just relax on the beach. As always there was a wide variety of food. If you go hungry it is your own fault. I particulary enjoyed the lamb chops at the Italian rest. Also gorged myself on fresh fruits and veggies. Fresh tomatoes-WOW! Even though it was spring break, it did not seem crowded. We had an awesome time! Can't recommend this resort enough!
March 31-April7, 2012

Room Tip: Ocean front
4  Thank barbie46
IberostarMexico, Quality Manager at Iberostar Tucan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your favorable comments following your stay in April.

We have shared your comments with our hotel team and we are all grateful for such feedback and very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Your experience and the information you are providing may help others to choose Iberostar Tucan & Quetzal for their next vacation in Mexico.
Thank you once again for your comments. It would be a pleasure to welcome you and your family back to our resort in the near future.

Quality Manager

Reviewed April 21, 2012

I just returned from the Iberostar Tucan with my husband and 2 children. It was a great location. I will summarize my stay in sections below:
Room:
When we checked in they wanted us to be in building 19, I asked for something closer to the beach. We ended up in building 12, first floor, steps from the pool. I couldn't have asked for a better room. The location was great. We were steps from the ping pong tables and the beach as well. The showers were fine.
The beds were like the rest of the reviews said.. hard as a rock. I never complained or said anything and much to my surprise, 2 days into the trip 2 brand new pillow top mattresses were put in our room. I truly made me so happy and they were really comfortable.
There is plenty of bottled water in the fridge each day. The kids ordered room service a couple of times and it was timely and the food was still hot.
Food: Well, on a scale of 1 - 10, I give it about a 5. It truly was the same thing, day after day. The pizza was inedible, the burgers on the grill were burned, the cold salads were always the same and the same grilled beef or chicken every day with a variation of a rice dish. There were plenty of choices but none of it was really appealing to me or my children. My husband on the other hand liked all the fish, octopus salad, mussels, etc. Breakfast was ok if you like fresh fruit and fresh fruit/vegetable juices. You have 2 options at breakfast - the one down at the beach and one in the big buffet place near the lobby. Pancakes and french toast were dry and tasteless. I had yogurt and cereal each morning. The bacon and sausage were not good at all. Service at all times is OUTSTANDING. They all work so hard and everything is spotless.

MEN HAVE TO HAVE LONG PANTS. We didn't know this and could not eat in 3 of the sit down restaurants. We ate at the Tropical restaurant 3 times and the steakhouse once. Those were really good. We were able to get more reservations than our allotted amount of dinners. Just ask.
BEACH: the first 4 days of our trip the ocean was very rough. It was lots of fun with the kids, but exhausting. I couldn't stay in for more than 30 minutes with out getting too tired because the waves were beating me down. You couldn't stand up, you would get knocked down. It was fun though. Then next couple of days got a little more calm. I could actually float a little and swim, but the currents were still strong. It is all sand - no rocks at all. The water is very clear and warm.
The Jungle: wow.. this was a great treat. We were on the first floor, near the beach and our deck faced a walkway, but was lined with trees. We were woken up on 2 occasions by a whole group of monkeys howling. There were even 2 baby monkeys. It was really fun to watch and the kids got a kick out of it. I'll post some videos soon. There is a peacock that parades around up near the lobby and gets a little territorial. He spreads his feathers and makes some loud noises. There are tucans, agouti and other birds. It was really nice walking through here.

5th Ave: Absolutely a must see! A $7 cab ride gets you to 5th ave which is right out side the Playa area - 5 minute cab ride. 2 - 3 miles of stores , restaurants, bars, etc. We got an order of churros from a vendor and they were so delicious. We ate at one restaurant, it was good, but pretty expensive.

Pool:
The pool was very nice. Very big and they were always cleaning and scrubbing. One thing I found a scarey was the entrance to the pool. You walk down about 5 steps and you think your last step would be the bottom of the pool.. oh no.. it's a 5 foot drop to the bottom of the pool! It got me and many others by surprise.
There is a little strip mall within walking distance of the hotel with shops, drug store, Starbucks, etc. I have to say i felt very safe at all times. It is very well protected and this whole part of Playa has security guards and gates just to get into the hotel area. It's actually quite beautiful.

Other stuff: They have archery, air soft gun contests, volleyball, dancing, yoga, ping pong tables, pool tables. Hard ice cream served all day on the beach, soft serve available as well.

I couldn't convince anyone in my family to go to any of the shows with me. I can't comment on the entertainment.

I may go back, but it wouldn't be for a long time.

Room Tip: We were in room 1207, excellent location. First floor right off the pool and next to the beach. We...
9  Thank HeidiM
Reviewed April 21, 2012

I am surprised and suspicious of all the positive reviews that are on this website regarding Iberostar Tucan. I feel obligated to share a candid experience of our stay there. We just returned from a 3 night stay (the minimum) for a wedding at Iberostar Tucan and were very grateful to leave - the only plus points for us was meeting up with old friends and attending their wedding.

We first spent several nights in Cozumel at the Intercontinental, a quiet hotel on immaculate grounds, ocean view and our arrival to Iberostar Tucan was a complete shock. Firstly, our room key card did not work - despite the fact that we returned the key to be 'sorted out', the second key card also did not work. It took several phone calls and waiting an hour before they sent someone to come and re-programme the door. The room was dark and small and we were told that the resort was full and they could relocate us in 5 days (i.e. after we had left). When we made the reservation we had attempted to reserve an ocean-view room and were informed on more than one occasion that such rooms did not exist - this was not the truth.

Iberostar Tucan is nothing more than a Butlins-style holiday camp which was full to the brim with guests, where quantity, not quality, counted. 95% of the adult guests appeared to be smokers - we couldn't escape the fumes. There were insufficient poolside chairs and beach chairs - by 7am, the pool side chairs were covered with towels by selfish guests to 'claim' their spot - although, at times, there were only a handful of guests actually in the pool. The buffet food was mediocre and the a la carte restaurants were marginally better. We have stayed in numerous resorts in several continents and this was by far one of the worse. While we heard that many guests had gotten great deals through their British tour operators, we, as independent bookers were definitely ripped off - the room was worth at most $100 per night and the remaining $150 was essentially supplementing the all-inclusive alcohol of other guests.

During the day, unless you have claimed your spot by the pool, the only place one could go was your own room - the lobby was also filled with smokers (day and night). This hotel also does not offer wi-fi in the rooms - you have to pay in 15 minute blocks and can only get access in the lobby or the internet lounge.

The only good things about this hotel: the wedding ceremony which the staff arranged nicely and the friendliness of the staff. The only guests that I would recommend this hotel to are people who get a cheap deal as part of a package, want to drink alcohol from morning till night and don't mind fighting for beach/pool furniture.

Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
12  Thank Barbiedoll_888
IberostarMexico, Quality manager at Iberostar Tucan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2012

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to write this comment about your recent stay at Iberostar Tucan. Our guest’s comments provide us with useful insights to assist our staff to identify areas of concern.

We apologize for the inconveniences in regards the main door lock; all of the necessary steps are being taken in order to prevent similar situations in the future. We greatly appreciate your positive comments about our wedding team. Your review about our services has been submitted to our different departments. Our hotel has always been recognized for its natural beauty and our great variety of cuisine to try to please our guests. We would like to mention that our Ocean View Suites (Junior Suites) are normally booked through travel agencies, and if availability allows us we always offer the option to our guest to be upgraded. Our goal is to ensure continued customer satisfaction and loyalty.

Please, feel free to contact us if you decide to give us another opportunity and experience our improvements.

Quality manager, Iberostar Mexico

Reviewed April 19, 2012

As a person who spent significant amount of time reading all the reviews on the property before selecting it for my trip, I feel that I would do better service to subsequent readers by commenting on what other people wrote about it and comparing to my personal experience.
Beds: several people were commenting on how hard the mattresses were. Beds were quite all right. Not harder than at, say Holiday Inn. I believe the service do offer the mattress tops if you ask. We didn't.
Rooms: some were telling about musty smells. It may make sense to consider rooms on the two upper floors. However, since there are no elevators in the buildings, you would need to carry all the stuff by yourself. We stayed on the third floor, and everything was just fine. I asked an older couple if they experienced any inconvenience on the first floor, and they said no. Otherwise, the rooms are really standard for the US hospitality industry.
Food: I agree with most common theme - it was adequate, but in a good sense. Edible, good variety, safe. I am not sure why anybody would require more from the beach hotel. The buffets were offered at three locations (one right on the beach) from 7 am to 10 pm (don't quote me on the exact hours), so it was impossible to go hungry, and everybody in our family found something they enjoyed (and we claim to have discriminate taste).The non-buffet restaurants were not significantly better. I would not get upset next time if I don't get reservations there. Meeting there with family and friends broke monotony, so we enjoyed it for the change of locale, but if you want something standing out (not necessary outstanding) - spend $6 on the taxi and get to the city for better dining.
Drinks: no comment. In general, that part of the trip is not important to us. Just a bit of advice - get to know your bartender and work with him on how you like your drink done. First, they do good job of accommodating, and second - they do remember your preference next time. Oh, bottled water is in your room, replenished daily, and you can request additional supply as we did.
Location and grounds: great! Everybody agrees on that, so I am not spending much time on them.
Service: same. It's an established hotel with trained staff and tad of genuine Mexican hospitality.
Beach: Some reviewers were complaining it was overcrowded. For American taste - may be. We did "reserve" a location on the beach at about 8 am and continued with breakfast after that. It was not allowed, but we had a little baby, and we needed to make sure she had plenty of shadow. I think the pool locations were a little bit worse in terms of availability. But overall, I did not see wondering people unable to find the place of rest. You could always rent a complimentary umbrella and long chairs to put right on the beach. The sand was clean, well maintained. Ocean was great, but a little bit scary for the kids under 5. The older kids (and adults) had a lot of fun in the waves.
Pool: I don't remember any comments on it, so I won't comment either.
Activities: we did not see our pre-teenage kids at all. They were on their own doing things. The crew did a very decent job involving guests of all ages in all sort of activities. Some corny, but it wasn't NYC where we went.
SPA: can't comment. Somebody told us that some of the services are cheaper in the US, though.

Room Tip: Get the room in the building closer to the Ocean
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
11  Thank Peshiy
IberostarMexico, Quality manager - Iberostar Mexico at Iberostar Tucan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2012

Dear Guest,

On behalf of Iberostar Tucan & Quetzal, we would like to thank you for visiting our resort during your recent vacation here.
Thank you very much for taking the time to bring these points to our attention. Your insightful comments are highly appreciated.

Warmest Regards,

Quality manager - Iberostar Mexico

Reviewed April 18, 2012

We travelled the week of April 9. 2012. My husband, me, 19 yr old son, 17 yr. old daughter and 14 yr. old son.
Service-genuine and friendly
Check in/out-fast -did not get the rooms/building we requested but it was the busiest week of the year. .
Food at a la cartes- fair. Service- very good.
Food at buffets- good but lacking variety day to day. They really need to offer homemade guacamole and more traditional Mexican cuisine! The institutional guac. is a big disappointment.
Rooms-basic but clean, water pressure not good, beds hard, balconies nice, beverage fridge stocked daily, no hair conditioner, plenty of towels, great towel art.
Housekeeping/maintenance-consistently good.
Property size-very walkable-no trams needed.
Liquor-okay at beach and buffets-good at lobby bars.
Beach-really nice-but too many cigarette butts and plastic straws in sand.
Star friends/activities-not as engaging as past visits. Some very friendly-some not.
Evening entertainment-after 3 vists to this Iberostar and visits to other all inclusives the evening shows get old. The performers are talented and work hard but salsa dancing in the lobby or live bands on the beach or beach bonfires would be a nice alternative for people who would like other options.
14 year old son loved beach volleyball and the pool games.
Husband loved jungle paths, snorkeling at the man made reef 10 minute walk south on the beach.
19 yr old son loved Dressel divers and the scuba excursions and being able to order cocktails.
17 year old daughter loved international group of teens and the disco.
I loved morning cappucino, monkeys, quick access to Playa del Carmen and the fact that everyone in my family was happy.
This resort is great for families and easy going people. It is not for pretentious or high maintenance people. If you appreciate an easy going atmosphere, authentically, friendly service and terrific wildlife the Tucan/Queztal is for you. If you want opulance and false sincerity this is not the place for you.
We have also stayed at Iberostar Paraiso Maya; Ritz Carlton- Cancun; Grand Palladium-Riv Maya; Dreams- Cancun.

Room Tip: Look at the hotel map and decide what makes the most sense for your family.
5  Thank likethewind27
Reviewed April 18, 2012

Last year we stayed at the Iberostar Paraíso Maya and I have reviewed on tripadvisor. This year we wanted to be closer to Playa del Carmen so we booked the Tucan/Quetzal resort. It was not as nice as the Maya by any means - less food selection, very painful to book restaurants, rooms much smaller (and we stayed 5 nites in a jr suite - not comparable to the Maya at all). One large pool and that's it.... got very crowded and the pool was not clean (once again compared to Maya). First two nights stayed in Quetzal (mid area - Block 2600) and the birds (flamingos and peacocks) and monkeys were unbearable in the morning... they literally wake you up... stay away from this area! The Jr. suites are oceanview which was a nice upgrade and not that expensive - I highly recommend looking into once you arrive - it only cost us $300 extra for 5 nights.

Food was not that great - we only really enjoyed one meal which was the Japenese restaurant. Very very hard to book a restaurant without 2-3 days prior booking - it was ridiculous. Then you get to the restaurant and it was 3/4 empty??? All we could figure is they did not have enough staff to manage more seats. So, of course, this was very disappointing. Once again, if you do eat at any of the restaurants, the house wine is not that great - ask for San Mauricio (they'll fuss about it - but it's free and much better). The main restaurant (buffet) does not offer any alcoholic drink selections besides there 'cheap' wine... really?? Once again Mexican and Italian (which was this resorts 'feature' restaurants ) were terrible... don't bother! Steakhouse better at Maya, OK at Tucan. Seafood did not try. As for booking the restaurants - this can only be done at the front desk between 9:00 - 12:00 and 4:00 - ? - there was always a line up and never any seats available - the Maya had a concierge in each block of rooms and it was easy to get reservations the same day or next.

On the brighter side of things... swim up bar was 'adult only' area outside of the main pool - I liked it... at the Maya, I found many drunk adults swimming with children and acting like children (drunk)... so it was nice that the swim up (or wetbar) bar was tucked away from the kids. I think I liked the beachfront better than Maya - but we did not spend much time on beachfront in Maya (water seemed rougher in Maya and scared my son) so I may back out of that statement. Tucan/Quetzal beach was lovely and breaks were easily managed.

The StarFriends were once again very entertaining and friendly... the best part of the Iberostar... they keep kids and families busy all day long and then entertain at night - unbelievable the effort they contribute to the resort - 'hats off to them' - GREAT JOB...

Coconut ice cream on beach.... yum yum... love the coconut ice cream at both Iberostar's!

The 'jungle' area between the two hotels is really neat with the monkeys, tortoises, tucans, etc. Nice shaded walk between beach and main lobby!

The staff seemed much friendlier than Maya - maybe because it does not have as many 'snobby' guests?

Nice to be close to Playa.... but I will return to the Maya next time... or try another resort!

Room Tip: Stay away from 2600 block on Quetzal side (early morning animal noises)... upgrade to jr suite ocean...
3  Thank TrishK_8
Bel Air Collection Xpu Ha Riviera Maya
Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya
Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya
#40 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Iberostar Tucan Hotel? Share your experiences!