New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Iberostar Tucan Hotel
Ranked #40 of 210 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersGold level
Michigan
“Another Great Week at the Iberostar Tucan!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2012

This was my second stay at the Tucan. The grounds are wonderful ( I felt like I was in a jungle) and I loved the meandering Peacocks, and especially the male who visited the cocktail lounge every evening!
Wild howler monkeys come into the trees in the morning and late afternoon which I consider a very special treat!
The food is quite good and the only issue is securing a reservation in the speciality restaurants (which is common problem at all-inclusives).
The swimming pool and beach areas are beautiful and well-kept.
If you want to party all-night, this is not your hotel but if you want excellent service and beautiful surroundings, you'll love it!

Room Tip: I prefer the rooms on the south side. They are quieter and the monkeys visit the area.
8 Thank goblue-er
IberostarMexico, Quality manager - Iberostar Mexico at Iberostar Tucan Hotel, responded to this review, March 3, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at the Iberostar Tucan. I am delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay with us.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you very much for your loyalty and for being part of our Iberostar family.

Furthermore, it is an honour that you had a nice time with employees, we will especially compliment them for their effort. Our team is constantly working to provide the best possible experience to our guests.

Thank you for your nice words about the hotel surroundings!

We look forward to welcoming you back to Iberostar Tucan again soon.

Kindest Regards,

Quality manager - Iberostar Mexcio.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (913)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2012

So this was our fourth trip back to the Iberostar, and in reading everyone's posts, it is difficult to add anything at all! What great information! This was our first trip later into the year (February 17-24), and WOW was the water a treat! Both the pool and the ocean were very comfortable! We requested building 12 or 13, and a jungle view. These buildings are great for a short trip to the beach, and far away enough to not hear the shows if you can't stay up! We have returned here because not only do we love the authentic feel of the jungle, the hospitality of the people, the value of the vacation, the beautiful beach, but also the location. We have tried to go out to experience other areas on each of our stays:Akumel, Tulum, Zel-ha, Playa del Carmen and the hotel is not too far from everything! You can really pack in alot of side trips without losing the whole day. In closing, I must say one word about the star friends. They work soooo hard, day and evening. If you want to participate, great! You will have fun. If you don't want to participate, no problem! But I just want to thank them for all they do. "Heyyy, heyy baby, ooh, ahhh-we love it!"

10 Thank Frego
IberostarMexico, Quality manager - Iberostar Mexcio. at Iberostar Tucan Hotel, responded to this review, March 3, 2012
Dear guest,

Fist of all I would like to thank you so much for writing such a nice review about your stay at the Iberostar Tucan, I am sure that it will help future guests to make their decision easier.

I am delighted to see that you enjoyed a pleasant holiday among us.

Let me emphasize that for us the best satisfaction is to read that one of our best asset is the kindness and attention of our staff since our team is constantly working to provide the best possible experience to our guests. We will personally compliment our star friends team!

Thank you again for you comments. Do not hesitate to contact us if you are planning to visit us again. We look forward to your return visits!

Kindest regards,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2012

Just got back from our second time at the Iberostar Tucan/Quetzal. Last year we were on the Quetzal side facing the jungle in building 25. We loved it there waking up to the monkeys, peacocks etc. Absolutly no complaints with that area. This year we were on the Tucan side in building 11. At first we were a little disappointed that we were not in the jungle but I have to say this was perfect as well. We were closer to the pool and I was able to "claim" our seats each morning. Yes, its anoying that you have to get up early if you want "your" perfect spot but I knew what I wanted and where so I was willing to get up. Knowing that the beds were not super comfortable as soon as we arrived to our room we ordered the extra padding for the beds. This makes a huge difference and I would highly suggest it for all that perfer sleeping on a softer bed. We tipped the maid a couple bucks for making up our bed again. We tipped our maid $2-3 daily for making up our room. These individulals work so hard and are so appreciative. The room size is average. We have 2 boys (10 and 13) so one of them slept on the couch/bed per choice.

We came to the resort with 3 other families with children the same age as ours. They swam, enjoyed all the activities and played Uno, Doodle Dice and other card games by the pool for hours when they needed a break from the sun. The weather was AMAZING the entire week we were there. One suggestion when on the beach is to bring your own "CUPS/MUGS". Your cup you bring will be larger and insulated then the plastic cups that are provided. The bar tenders will gladly fill yours up instead...bigger drink...faster buzz ...plus you don't have to stand in line as much. Rafael has worked at the pool bar by the beach and is amazing! Super friendly! We remembered him from last year and I have to say he was just as friendly. He can make a GREAT Coco-Loco! Just remember to ask him to add more rum. More rum makes for less calories when drinking the sugary drinks. The icecream in the afternoon by the pool is also good. We loved the coconut and highly suggest it!!

The grounds of the entire complex are always super clean! The beach is combed everyday and the workers remove the seaweed each morning that washes up on the beach. You won't notice that there is even seaweed that washes up if you don't get up super early. Walking each morning through the jungle is a great way to start the day. Seeing the monkeys every morning (around 8 a.m.) and then in the afternoon (around 4) was always fun for the kids as well as all the other animals. The entire complex is set in a lush tropical rainforest with almost no bugs. You can choose to walk along the rainforest or through the rainforest. In the morning I enjoyed exercising along the paved cement path along the the entire complex. I always felt safe and was always greeted with a smile and hello by any workers that walked past me.

I also worked out in the gym each morning. Its not a huge gym but it did the job of burning off some unwanted calories. The free weights only go up to 50 pounds, they have 3 treadmills, 2 ellipticals, 2 bikes, a couple benches with bars. I also did the water aerobics in the pool each day. They do the same routine each day which can be a good thing for those that are new to exercising or repetitive for those of us that work out daily. Either way its fun and again burned some extra calories. I also did the yoga and that too is very basic and more of a stretching class but enjoyable.

Now onto the food...the buffett is huge and has many choices. I loved breakfast! Each day I had an egg white omelette with tomatos, green peppers, onions and cheese. AWESOME! The kids enjoyed the donuts, french toast and bacon. The fruit was also amazing as well. For lunch I loved to have a big plate of chips, guac and salsa. Dinner we ate at the Japanese restaurant, Italian Restaurant and the Steak House. I would also rate the dinners in that order as the Japenses restaurant was really good. The water is safe in downtown Playa as well so no worries. We also went to Playa for 2 nights for dinner as well ($7 taxi ride). Downtown Playa is very safe with many families walking around shopping and eating. The kids enjoyed finding their souvenirs.

The kids loved all the activities throughout the day. They tried shooting the guns, did the pool games at noon, played soccer on the beach at 4. We also kayaked, windsurfed and sailed on the catamaran (all provided for free from the resort). The shows at night were also good. My only complaint is that they start to late for families that have started their day early. The show starts at 9:30 and 8:30 would be a better time in my opinion. By 9:30 I'm exhausted from getting up by 6-7 a.m. and being at the beach all day. They do a great job of entertaining everyone and would highly suggest seeing a couple of them as they are fun to watch.

The other biggest complaint I had was again they do not provide free internet. With this day and age free wifi in the lobby would allow you to check your email and check with your family at home if needed. The internet is quite costly for those of us who need to check in with work daily. You can walk down to Starbucks closer into town but when you need to just do a quick check twice a day it becomes frustrating.

Overall a great trip once again with family and friends! I would suggest this place to all families who are looking for a fun trip that will provide for many memories. We can't wait to go back!!!

• 3 of 5 stars
17 Thank michigankree
IberostarMexico, Quality manager - Iberostar Mexico. at Iberostar Tucan Hotel, responded to this review, March 3, 2012
Dear Guest,

We are very happy to read that you had a pleasant stay at Iberostar Tucan in Mexico. Our team does our best to provide the comforts of home to all our guests.

Thank you for pointing out the great location ¡the hotel setting and sorroundings, our cuisine and our the staff. I am delighted to hear that each person you came in to contact with were pleasent and helpful.

Please feel free to contact us for your next reservation! We will all be very pleased to welcome you back home.

Kind regards,

Fond du Lac, WI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2012

If you like to get out and about then the tucan is for you. It is in Playacar and everyone is out of their hotels and walking to town or taking the ferry to Cozumel.
The food is great. They alway had either shredded meat, carved meats or whole baked fish at dinners. At lunches the had a wide variety of food, not just the standard hot dogs.
The pool area is great with lots of shady/sunny areas. The beach was nice and wide with volleyball nets and lots of lounges also.
I had a great time painting a plate. When I wasn't sure which one I wanted to paint they told me I could design my own. The next day they drew my design on a plate! When I was finished they did the accents. I was thrilled with the end result. If you want a personal memento of your trip, do a one of a kind piece.
I traveled along and I loved the safe and friendly feel of the Iberostar Tucan. I will definitely go back

Room Tip: Great location for active travelers. Do a personal item at the pottery shed. Great for someone tra...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank WIRelaxed
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing such a good comment about your holiday with us here in Iberostar Tucan. Your enthusiasm in describing the high level of our services is a good input to keep motivating our team. I will be sure to pass your compliments along to the team and especially to our chef who will be very pleased to hear your feedback.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Kindest regards,

Woodbury, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2012

We just returned from a 5 night stay and the only negative was that we didn't stay 6 or 7 nights.
We agonized over where to go, Costa Rica, Aruba, DR but finally settled on Cancun because it was the easiest place for our 2 older sons to get to from where they are in Missouri and Virginia. Tucan is absolutely beautiful. The grounds are unique. The jungle area between the lobby and the pool was really cool. Lots of monkeys, peacocks and other animals. The pool is beautiful. The beach is great and of course the waters of the Carribean can't be beat. The staff was great. Very friendly. The rooms are really nice and clean as is the entire property. Since I can subsist on guacamole and chips I didn't need gourmet style food but nevertheless the food was certainly good enough. A long as you know that you are not going to be getting gourmet meals then you won't be dissapointed. Make a reservation at the Japanese restaurant - good food and lots of fun. About the dive shop associated with the hotel... It is a separate entity and the staff was very nice as were the dive instructors. It was just the refund policy that was troublesome. We were scheduled to go snorkeling one afternoon but the it was to choppy so they told us we had to go another day. That really didn't fit into our tight schedule so we asked for a refund and they would not give it to us. The only give you a credit for a future trip. Also the particular place that they took us snorkeling was pretty bad. None of this is a reflection on Iberostar Tucan and again the people at the dive shop were really nice so my advice is to wait to pay for any diving/snorkeling until the last minute. A great vacation!

4 Thank peter l
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2012

Tucan Hotel (Ibero Star) - Playa Car - Mexico

We are a well traveled English couple in our late 40's / early 50's and have traveled all over the world in the last 26 years staying in 2* accommodation to 5*. This is an objective review of the Tucan Hotel by Ibero Star in Playa Car, Mexico for a 14 night stay in February 2012.

We traveled from Gatwick with First Choice holidays. The flight was quite long at close to 11 hours, this was due to a strong head wind all the way. The flight was due to leave at 09:30 but did not get away until 11:30. We had standard seats and to be honest the leg room was fine, I am 6' 1'' tall. Unless you want to upgrade your seats I would not bother.

The transfer to the hotel takes a little over an hour. By this time it was dark so nothing to say other than it was not an unpleasant ride and the coach looked clean Etc.

The immediate impression of the hotel is one of large open spaces, lots of marble, high ceilings and a nice relaxing atmosphere.

The check in was good, no problems.

Our room was the standard one that the hotel offers. It did have a musty smell upon our arrival but we opened the balcony doors and the front door, had a blast around with my deodorant spray and after a little while it was fine. We were in block 18. This is close to reception and the buffet, Japanese and Mexican restaurants. We opted for a top floor location with a balcony. The room was a good size with plenty of space. It was comfortable, adequately furnished and brightly decorated. We had a table, chair and a sofa that we felt may have been convertible into a second bed if required. Our bed was a king sized one and although it was quite hard it was comfortable and probably good for your back. There was a good sized wardrobe and this contained the ironing facilities and the free safe. Our room also had a coffee maker, TV and mini bar with water, soft drinks and beer. If we are honest it is probably a 3* plus room but we liked it as it was pleasant. However, if we had booked the hotel for a plush room we would have been disappointed.

The bathroom itself was of a reasonable size, without a bath, but with a nice, well powered, spacious shower. The hair dryer is located in the bathroom and so is the bottle opener. Complimentary shower gel and shampoo was provided and we had a plentiful supply of towels. Again, ditto comments above about it not being plush.

The balcony was of a sensible size for two people and the furniture consisted of 2 plastic chairs and a table. We also had a dryer for hanging out the washing. The view from the balcony was of the jungle and the edge of reception; nothing much to see to be honest. A big thank you to the animals for the 06:00 wake up calls every morning :-)

The hotel has a small spa that is equipped with Jacuzzi(s) and steam room(s). The spa offered a number of treatments. None of the treatments are very well priced and seemed expensive to us. We did try the hot stone massage as this was on special offer for two people. We found this treatment to be very relaxing.

The gift shops offer the normal array to T-shirts, toiletries, cards and bric-a-brac. The hotel also has a jewelry shop. In our opinion it's worth looking at the shops at Plaza Playa Car or in Playa del Carmen before you decide on your purchase.

Guest / room service. On the Tuesday of our stay it was Valentines Day, so I ordered the following to be delivered to our room at 08:30 as a special treat for my wife.

* Champagne. This arrived at 08:50.

* Fresh orange to make bucks fizz. This never arrived and I went to the Tucan bar to collect it my self.

* Cheese and strawberries. These arrived at 08:50.

* Red roses in a bouquet. These arrived at 10:00.

I'll let you decide if this was good service...

The bars are as you would expect from an all inclusive hotel, the drinks are fast and in plentiful supply. The drinks are actually fine, as is the service. A nice drink to try is one called BBC (banana, Baileys, coconut). The Tucan bar may have better quality brands, it's hard to tell, perhaps it was just the setting that made them feel more upmarket.

Wifi. Now you should know that this is a pet hate of ours. We feel that it is quite ridiculous in this day and age to be asked to pay for this service. It is our opinion that wifi access should be free in almost all circumstances. Wifi is a vital tool for life in the 21st century and to charge for it when a facility is in place in a given location is just a ripoff. So poor show to all concerned for this... Go to Starbucks down the road, turn right out of the hotel and walk for about 10 minutes to the aforementioned Plaza Playa Car shops and you will see it. The wifi is free and as always the coffee is wonderfully good. The Wifi pass code Etc. will be on your receipt.

With regard to the in house entertainment shows. We really did not go to see many of these. We went to the magic show and I fell asleep! My wife said it was okay. All we can really add is that they seemed to be well rehearsed, and the energy and enthusiasm of the participants was evident. The shows were well attended by the other guests, and this in itself is probably a good indication of how much they were liked.

The restaurants are okay. To be honest they are what you tend to get with all inclusive hotels. Not bad in themselves but it is always going to be impossible to make an entirely successful transformation from daytime buffet / pool side snack bar to evening speciality establishment. The permanent restaurants such as the Japanese are better than the other afore mentioned.

The food is quite edible. A large choice is available and we can see no reason why anyone would complain. Once again it is what we were expecting from an all inclusive hotel. If you want food that is more in keeping with a pay-as-you-go hotel then perhaps all inclusive is not going to be the thing for you.

The beach is large with clean soft sand. Numerous sun beds and fixed parasols are available. The sea is easy to get into and the sea bed is soft sand, beach shoes are not required.

The pool is very large and also quite deep in most places, chest high on myself and close to chin high on my wife. The steps into the water are a little misleading, the last step is twice as high as the others. The first time you go down into the water the last step gives you a little surprise by dumping you in! The pool does have a shallow area that is at the beach end of the pool. A separate child pool is also available next to the good sized climbing frame / child play area. Around the pool itself are a large number of sun beds and fixed parasols. Although they do have a lot of these they tend to get taken quite early in the morning. There is very little provision for outside seating with tables and the only place we found was close to the beach on a small patio area close to the beach snack bar.

The jungle and the animals are the stars of this hotel. The monkeys are a little elusive but if you do keep looking you are sure to see them in the tree tops even if just for fleeting moments. The other animals are more in abundance than the monkeys and if you have young children the animals are sure to delight them. The jungle pathways wind down from the just behind the buffet restaurants to the pool. The pathways intersect each other and you will not get lost if you keep heading down you will end up at the pool. During the evening these pathway are romantically lit up. If you prefer you can walk to the pool / beach via the room blocks and avoid the jungle.

The location of this hotel is about a 45 minutes to an hours walk outside Playa del Carman; to the left as you look out to sea. We walked up the beach one day and we were please to see the town and Señor Frogs bar by the time we arrived. We also walked one day on the road into the town, not much to see on the way apart from villas. If you take the taxi back and it cost £4.00 without the tip. On another day we went for a walk down the beach to the right as you look out to sea. After about 10 minutes you come to a wide and undeveloped stretch of sand that has the jungle backing onto it. This beach is totally natural and just the place to chill out away from the music, people and bars of the hotel. If you keep walking for a further 20 to 30 minutes the people diminish until just a few remain, perhaps looking for solitude as we were. Eventually you come to a rocky outcrop that impedes further easy progress.

Playa Car has a shopping mall, Plaza Playa, that is to the right of the hotel as you exit the main entrance. It is about 10 minutes walk and has the normal array of souvenir shops selling an assortment of Mexican gifts. No bars, but they do have a Starbucks coffee house.

With regard to insect bites. We have noticed that a number of holiday makers have said about this problem. We always use a sun screen that has a built in insect repellant. We had no problems with insect bites. We actually did not see much in the way of insects or spiders of any kind during our stay. Perhaps the animals and birds act as a natural pest control at the Tucan?

The weather was a little erratic during our February stay. It was quite hot most days, like a nice English summers day. However, just like England the rain or clouds could come almost out of nowhere, although the rain did not last very long. Some evenings the sea breeze was a little cooling. We recommend brining one or two long sleeved garments if you come at this time of year.

The other guests came from a wide number of countries. We did not see any drunk guests, or notice any bad or disruptive behavior during our stay.

The hotel money exchange rate is close to that offered in Playa del Carman. We used the hotel as we were not changing up large sums.

In conclusion. The hotel is an all inclusive establishment. The food, drinks, service, and the presentation do reflect the all inclusive status. The hotel is like many such in the word, a bit of a guest factory, but not at all oppressive in its approach to this type of service. We felt that the room was pleasant, functional and met our needs for a nice holiday. All of the staff we met were friendly, helpful, and pleasant to deal with, as were the Mexican people outside of the hotel. In the end you get what you pay for and we did purchase this holiday on a late deal at a considerably reduced price. Some years ago we paid quite a bit more and stayed at another Ibero Star hotel a little way up the coast, the Paraiso Maya. This was better than the Tucan, in our opinion... We did have a very nice relaxing time at the Tucan and would recommend this hotel if you are a younger family with children or if you have grand children with you. Perhaps if you are a little older and without children then this may not prove to be the best choice for you. To be honest its not a bad hotel at all regardless of your age. Enjoy the Tucan for what it is. Do not look for the hotel to be something other than an all inclusive beach / pool hotel with the added extra of the jungle and animals.

Tips for the hotel management to improve the establishment.

- The rooms could do with airing before your guests arrive.

- Bath robes would be a welcome addition.

- Some extra plug sockets would be an advantage in the rooms as people tend to have more electronic equipment than they did a few years ago.

- The spa is overpriced by about 25%.

- Wifi needs to be free.

- More tables and seating outside by the pool for guests that would like to sit rather than lay in the sun.

Last thing. Nothing at all to do with, First Choice Holidays, the Tucan Hotel or indeed Ibero Star. The airport at Cancun shows little evidence of any organisation, just a confusion of queuing and form filling in upon arrival. Then when you think its all over you get to press, "The Button!" If the light is green, "Ta-Dar", you can move on, if the light is red, " Ho-Hum", you get to open all your luggage up and show it to a customs official who was o so much less interested than we were by this ridiculous pantomime. Full marks to the Mexican government for making entry into their country as hard as possible. One has to wonder if they actually wanted us to come to Mexico and spend our hard earned money. So 1/10 for Cancun airport. Procedures need to be reviewed as you look most unprofessional indeed.

When you go home you have to pay the airport £42 each to leave Mexico, thats a lot of money in our opinion. Although we have to add that leaving the country was far more organised, certainly First Choice had a hand in this. The baggage check in was very well set up with lots of First Choice staff on hand to help and explain what was going.

• Stayed February 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars
19 Thank MPA-UK
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2012

We stayed at the Tucan from Feb 8 - 22, 2012. This was our 5th visit to the area and our 1rst to the Tucan.

Check in was quick. I had emailed ahead of time and requested a topper for the bed and a building closer to the beach. Both requests were accomodated.

Building 14 - second floor (room 1432)facing towards the inside of the resort. Totally private! Lots of trees and very jungle "feel"like. The building was about the middle of the resort which was perfect for getting anywhere in the resort. Morning 1 - Mama monkey and her tiny baby on our balcony! Every morning we watched and listened to them play - we saw 7 of them one morning chasing each other lol. Papa monkey is quite loud in the morning and I can tell you he does not like when helicopters are flying around!!!!

Rooms: A little dated but were a nice size. Our coffee, tea and fridge were kept filled. We requested more cervasa and water on our first day and no pop in the fridge. So that is what we got! We had a tv which has english stations on it and music stations ( a previous reviewer said there were only pay per view which is not true - some english stations with spanish subtitles and the other way around). Our room was spotless everyday - thanks Martha - you are a gem!!!! The only thing missing were some drawers to put stuff in - I hate living out of my suitcase. Air conditioning was the best we have experienced at any resort....about the 3rd day we figured out how to turn it down lol..lol

A la cartes - We ate at the Japanese twice, both times were excellent. We ate at the italian twice. We had gone a second time becauser the first time the service was REMARKABLE and the food was fabulous. I had the lasagna and my husband ordered two meals, the lasgana and the lamb chops - let me tell you he was in heaven with those lamb chops!!! The lasagna was excellent as well and came in a bowl with a really nice cheese sauce around it which I have never experienced before ( the staff were kind enough to give me the recipe!)....the second time we went the lamb chops were still perfect but the lasagna was not nearly as good (overcooked and not enough sauce I think) and they forgot to bring my husband his second entree. We also ate at the steak house. The steak was very tasty and was the best steak we have had at a resort - however it is still a thin piece of meat which coming from Alberta we are not used to. Service was excellent here as well.

Buffets - The breakfast buffet was very good - if someone cannot find something to eat for breakfast then they must be the pickiest person in this world - they had cereals, fresh fruits and juices - fresh breads - terrific bacon, sausages, different types of eggs or you could get a fresh omlet made for you, they had cold meats and cheeses - I could go on and on!!! The evening buffet was a bit different though - although all of the food was tasty and well prepared we did notice that it was basically the same everyday and one odd thing we found was that although this is a good sized resort it had the least selection available at dinner than any resort we have stayed at. We didn't eat at the lunch buffet. As at all resorts the food does get tiresome soooo....

Two nights we went to Playa de Carmen. My husband and I went to El Fgons which was a 9.00 cab ride from the resort and about 9 blocks from 5th Ave. I cannot tell you how good this place was - you have to experience it for yourself. Excellent service and you have your food within 10 minutes of ordering it lol...They start you with taco chips and a variety of sauces - I then had the best taco I have ever had in my life and it was so big that despite giving my husband a third of it I still couldn't eat all of it. My husband had the bean soup and some type of pork chop plate, he had three cervasa and I had one - total cost including a good sized tip was 30.00 total. The second time we went to Carboncito's with two friends which is a block off of 5th...we sure got there just in time as it was packed within twenty minutes of us being there. The best service I have ever experienced at any type of restaraunt. My husband and I had the bean soup (to die for!!!!!) - it itself was a meal and I only ate half for fear of not being able to eat my meal! One of our friends had the chicken soup which in his words tasted like chicken soup on crack lol - it was so tasty and was filled with all types of veggies. We all had different meals which were totally enjoyed. They also started off your visit with taco chips and a variety of sauces - their hottest sauce was not hot enough for my husband so they actually went and made him one specially - it was excellent and my husband said it wasn't just hot for "hot's sake", it had a spectacular flavour to it!!! So for the four of us including two buckets of cervasa (ohhh they also gave us a complimentary tequila shot which was nice) the total cost was 1200 peso's or aprox 120.00(they include a 10 percent tip on the bill - however as the service was outstanding we tipped more). My fav was El Fogons, my husbands was Carboncito's - a must go to either!!!!

Pools - the main pool is very nice and is deeper than most resorts in parts but has a gradual entry on either side so good for kids if their parents stay with them. There is a childrens pool which was definately well used and a childs play area. There is a third pool where sports were played. There is a swim up bar for adults only. I liked the concept of the adults only part but we definately missed it being a part of the main pool!!!!!! The fellows working the swim up were just awesome!!!!

Bars - The Tucan lobby bar seemed to be used more than the Quetzel side. The lobby bar is a relaxing spot to meet people. They either had an "unusual" fellow playing elevator type music on his keyboard...or one night there was actually a fellow playing more current music on his guitar - he was great! The staff at the lobby bar were also terrific - had a great sense of humour and your glass was no sooner empty and they were refilling it. My husband had our bubba mugs filled at the beach bar and he said they were good as well. If anyone even believes for a second the drinks are watered down - they are crazy - sure it's not all top shelf alcohol - but I tried quite a few different drinks and they were all terrific - in a few instances I had to get them to actually add more non alcohol ingredients as they were too strong. One very bright side to this resort is the white wine was drinkable...sure it's not what I am used to as a wine drinker but it was drinkable!!!!!!!!!!! Never experienced that at a Mexican resort before!

Nightly entertainment - Not to take anything away from the Star Friends but the shows were typical of the resorts we have stayed - seen one, you've seen them all. You have to give the staff credit, they are there 12 hours a day and they put on the best show they can with I am sure limited resources.The bright spot for us was the trio that sang a half hour before and after the "Big Show".....you could dance and two of the three of them had awesome voices (the bigger girl and the fellow were soooooo good!!!)...as I said though once you've seen one soooooo

Playa - We headed out two nights to Wah Wahs which is on the beach, live band, and our age group (late 40's - 50's). The band was good but on both nights the sets were the same - however we did dance. The cervasa were 3 dollars and the mixed drinks 5 dollars. It was a pleasant change from the resort but next year will maybe do it one night and try a different spot on other nights.

Beach - the beach was terrific - large, very clean and lots of activities going on for those who are interested. It's a long beach - we walked in both directions and it was really nice and very romantic in the evening ;).

Timeshare etc - A great part of this resort was there were no timeshare people that we saw AND there was no "classes" of people (Elite etc). Way to go Iberostar - keep it up!!!!!!! - that was one of the nicest characteristics of this resort that will ensure that we return!!!!!!!!!!!......

Overall - Was a very, very nice resort, very laid back and awesomely clean and well kept - great for families or if you want a very relaxing holiday. We met alot of great people from all over the world - but we would stay here again if we went as a group or if we were only spending one week and then another at a resort that is a bit more lively in the evening. We will deifinnately return!!!!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple