“13 times - and we'll be back.”

Iberostar Tucan Hotel
Ranked #50 of 216 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed June 24, 2011

We stayed here recently for the 13th time, and obviously we love the place.
We enjoyed the food (both at the buffet restaurants & speciality), you can eat as much or little as you want, the choice is amazing.
Our room was great, as we had an ocean view, but all the rooms are a good size, comfortable & kept spotless by the very hardworking cleaning staff.
We always enjoy the entertainment, the 'Starfriends entertainment team' never stop, they work all day and then put on some great shows at night. Try to see 'Boogie Nights', Hollywood show' or 'Las Vegas' amongst others.
Another great entertainer is the Spanish guitarist, Luis Laclette. He plays in the lobby bar every evening from 7.00pm (except Sunday). He is really good, playing classical pieces and also popular versions of Clapton, Jimmy Buffitt, Beatles etc. He also plays at weddings at the hotel, which makes it so romantic.

We have travelled all over the world but can honestly say that this hotel with it's hard-working, friendly and wonderful staff is - THE BEST.

Room Tip: Just ask nicely!
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank kentine
Write a ReviewReviews (6,828)

Reviewed June 22, 2011

We stayed at Tucan/Quetzal (which is actually the same) in June 2011 for 14 days. We loved it!!

Here are the details:

Beach: Great beach, white sand, blue sea. When you walk down the beach (on the right) you will come to a very close area with no hotels. This area is just amazing and sooo beautiful - pure nature and beauty. Don't miss it and don't stay in the hotel area all the time.

Pool: Cannot say anything since we just use the beach. Music and entertainment at the pool - which I do not like.

Food: This was the only point I didn't really like or let's say love. Great choice but food tastes okay - not really great. Even the specialty restaurants are okay but not great.

Staff: Just great - so nice and helpful. Receptionst was not very nice but the rest of the staff was amazing.

Rooms: Lovely! We booked a Junior Suite with sea view and I can recommend it soooo much. You have a total sea view. We woke up with the sea breeze and it was just awesome. I would really recommend everyone to book a Superior room since in our case it wasn't even very expensive (150 EUR per Person for 2 weeks more than regular room).

WiFi: You gotta pay for it (36 PESOS for 15 min)...I thought it would be for free at least in the lobby.

I have been to many places before but this place was really GREAT!!!!!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank SandET
Reviewed June 21, 2011

Just recently traveled to Iberostar Tucan. With knowing what I new I was looking forward to the vacation. I was very surprised on what my experience and thoughts were about this resort.
The Good:
Rooms/Shower and great A/C
Service Good Always Friendly and Helpful
Staff Entertaining
Pool Large
Beach Beautiful

The Just Ok!
Food Bla and no presentation and same everyday. Birds like to swing down and grab some food as well....all open air buffets.
Pool Area, boring...Do not go to this resort if you like a swimup bar. This one is seperate from the large pool and you are surrounded by trees and its actually dirty sorry. There really never was people in it. I never once went into it, and that is sad because its nice to meet people and hang out there.
NO A/C in most resturants all open area, except Mex/Jap/Italian which pretty much were warm just no humidty in it.

In my honest opinion it seemed like people looked bored. I know that sounds bad, but there was like no bars that you could just sit at and people were having fun. Maybe they were but from what i could see not so much. I feel this resort is in need of some renovation, up date in the food department and build a swim up bar closer to where everyone is hanging out. The shows at night were good but no A/C or event air ventalation so it was very uncomfortable to sit and watch, we did but...thank god when we got back to the room it was comfortable.

The staff did there best and always tryed to get people invovled and they were so friendly, thank god for them because it would have been a long trip.

So i know you will probably read this and think just another complainer but i am a travel agent and i am not sure if i would recommend this property. I dont think I have ever compared resorts since every trip to be is great, but this one i always seemd to compare something, so that means i was a bit unsure.

In a nut shell that is how i feel, sorry to disappoint anyone and from what i here the other Iberostars in Riveria Maya are wonderful so yes i woudl return to another Iberostar just probably not this one.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank tootsie1
Reviewed June 19, 2011

We went to the Toucan as destination for our son’s wedding. We were a party of 29, family and friends of the couple. We mostly arrived on a Thursday and Friday for a Sunday wedding and stayed 4 to 7 days depending on individual schedules.

The room was exactly what I wanted. I like a good, clean comfortable room with the basics well done and not much need for glitz or large size. I am there to enjoy the resort, the experience and socializing with friends, not to spend time in the room. The room had a comfortable spacious bed, 2 couches by the sliding door to the balcony, spacious closet, drawers and a good sized bathroom with a large shower area. No issues with water temp or pressure.

Food was excellent at the buffet where we ate breakfast and dinner most of the time. Lunch was at the snack bar by the pool and ocean. We had sit down dinners at the Italian, Mexican, Asian, and Steak house. All very good +. The rehearsal dinner was at the Asian which is Benny Hana style - well done. The wedding dinner was at the steak house, excellent dinner, nicely set up for the slide show, DJ, and dancing. Service was excellent. About 6 waiters took care of all our needs, serving food, wine etc. Gabriela, the wedding coordinator, made everything flow very smoothly. She took care of all kinds of requests for the DJ equipment and the slide projector (one of the quests wanted to DJ, and my son brought a disk of photos to display continuously during the dinner and dancing). No request was left unattended. Thank you Gabriela.

The wedding itself (and the rehearsal) was also set up and run by Gabriela. She was very efficient and attentive, everything went well. We were 1 of 3 weddings that day!

Service and food was excellent in all the bars and restaurants we attended that week. Keep in mind that we mostly went as a group. While the facilities are big, the sudden presence of 20 or so more people never seemed to stress any thing. At the large buffet, we were a small part of the action, but when we showed up at the lobby or beach bar - no problem, all orders were filled quickly. No comments like wait for the waitress to take your order. People were happy to help and serve you your way. I gave tips, I think most people do. If I just had a drink or 2, I usually left a dollar. If we were at a table with several people each getting several drinks, We left about $5. We left daily house keeping and restaurant tips. I left a total of about $70 in tips during my stay. Additional amounts were left for Gabriela, Antonio and Rob, the captain of our snorkeling boat.

The property itself was very well kept. It featured a small "undeveloped" area they referred to as the walk thru jungle. It was a 3 or so acre parcel with paved paths located between the back of the resort and the ocean. Watching and looking for the various animals was always a pleasant diversion when walking back and forth from the lobby to the room or beach. The buffets were bordered by a moat with coy and tropical fish, on one side and a water fall area which lead to a pond with mostly flamingo's.

Last but not least was Antonio, our Go-Go rep. Antonio was the “go to” man. If you needed or wanted something, Antonio could help out. We booked our excursions thru him; snorkeling and Ecco park (both very enjoyable). We got advice from him on where to shop for various items during our day trip to Playa del Carmen. He took some of the group out to buy cigars, and generally helped us with myriad little things that came up during the trip. Thank you Antonio.

The wedding was pretty much a fairytale experience for the B&G. The vacation was great for all those who came, many comments about coming back, Best trip ever etc

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
5  Thank Hanic
Reviewed June 19, 2011

Our 4th trip to the riviera Maya, as we like to try different resorts, but this is one that we would consider returning to ( second would be the Grand Serenis)! If your family is into a more natural setting, I suggest building 14 or 15 third floor where at dawn you will hear the roar of the howler monkey , followed by a visit to your balcony. Although you are not supposed to feed them , our 12 year old daughter could not resist and would hand feed them, even a mother with a baby clinging to her! Its best to peel the banana and feed in small chunks, they will reach out to you and gently take from you. They do not like Kiwi fruit and will throw them to the floor but a great photo session. If you prefer the manicured yard look , then request a room facing the outside of the resort. Thanks to reservations Manager Martha Baez, we e-mailed 2 weeks prior to our visit and she arranged our jungle facing room. This is the oldest resort we have stayed at , there is no tub, but a great walk-in shower and my wife never complained about missing her tub. What sets this resort apart from the others I believe is the fact that you have the best of both , a natural setting along with an elegant resort. We feel buffets and hard beds and the nightly entertainment are the same at all the resorts we have stayed at but you will find something good to eat and will sleep well and laugh while on your vacation in paradise! We liked the mexican, and japanese restuarants the best followed by the steak house. I suggest you take a morning walk south along (away from Playa del Carmen) the beach and see the small sand crabs scurrying away, also suggest a walk into Playacar (north) a upscale suburb of Playa del Carmen. To sum up the Tucan, GREAT staff, service, and location. Since discovering Trip Advisor we have planned our last three vacations and find it to be 99% accurate ( even love the whiners). One last recommendation is the dive shop located on the beach. Great staff, Thanks to Dive Masters Stefan, Marc and Stella, also Sam and Sandra!!! Try the free scuba demo at the pool, maybe it will lead you to see the awesome world beneath 3/4 of our planet. Type in Dressel Divers in the search box on this site or tours to find more reviews. Looking forward to a return visit at the Tucan, not a small resort or mega resort, just perfect!!!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
6  Thank 52waterboy52
Reviewed June 19, 2011

A resort is very rarely perfect, however this for us, was as close at it gets! Negative reviews suggest a poor quality of food... Which isnt quite true. The resteraunts serve some amazing dishes that you'd expect to pay £18 ($27 ish) per head for whilst the buffet selection never ceased to impress. After helping ourselves to the food, we'd always return to the table with different things! "Ooo Johnny, where'd you find that!?!?"
Parrots, peacocks and Pelicuns will keep you company throughout your trip. The hotel also wanted to cause as little environmental impact as possible, therefore the environment is flourishing with beauty. The light blue sea waves can alternate between being relaxed and tranquil whilst other days rather fun for the kids.
The staff are just genuinely lovely people! For some reason they try their best to impress and please everyone and one can only admire that. The 'star friends' will keep the kids amused whilst the bar ladies walking up and down the beach will keep the parents..... Happy.

I am a strong believer of the idea that a holiday is what you make it, and we made it AMAZING! if you're quite snobby and are looking for somewhere to dine with fine wine and often tip waiters with $100 bills then perhaps this isn't for you... Never the less, if you're ANYONE else then this is a MUST! Please try and ignore the more negative views. Lovely location, people and food make hotel fantastic. See for yourself....

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
7  Thank Winterboi
Reviewed June 17, 2011

Just back from a fantastic 2 weeks at tucan! Was a bit worried about going after reading reviews about food but that was one thing I shouldn't have worried about!
Our check in was very smooth and friendly! We were taken to our room (seaview suite) on a golf cart!
Was fun! Room very spacious and spotless! Big shower! Different
towel art everyday! View from room beautiful! Beds super comfy not at
all like lying on a brick! Our room attendant Benito was great had our
rooms done everyday while we
were at breakfast!

Food was great plenty of choice. A few repeated dishes but that'
to be expected! Always found
something different! Never left feeling hungry! Desserts are
amazing! Especially the chocolate
mousse! Steak house was great
best steak I have ever tasted!
Mexican was a bit of a
disappointment! Italian was very
good! Didn't try japanease not my
husbands style lol! Breakfast and
lunches great too! My only negative
about restaurants is they are open
sides so no aircon!

The animals very my fav! Seen
something different everyday! I love
animals so was in my element!
Howler monkeys can be noisy but
funny! The peacock was scary
sometimes! Saw him chase a man
which was quite amusing! One of the ducks had babies! So cute was 8 of them the day we arrived but sadly only 6 when we left! One of the iguanas got them very sad! Saw it go at them and had to walk away!
The star friends are brilliant! Really work hard! Activitys all day then a great dhow at nite! Shows are s great laugh and well done! Such hard workers!
I have nothing but good to day about this hotel! The location is great too! We walked into Pdc one day took us 40 mins to walk to 5th avenue! 5 mins in a taxi! Got gold member tickets to coco bongos which was amazing!
Beach is so wide is great! A few wee ants about at the sun pointers closest to sandos next door! Had a few wee nips from them but nothing to moan about!
We were in Riu cancun last year and we were told that after a Riu an iberostar would be a disappointment! I have to say this is not true I am actually now dissapointed at the Riu! Wouldn't hesitate to go bk! Hope to be back next year!
Any questions please ask! X x

• Stayed: May 2011