“Really Fantastic.”
Review of Riviera Adventours

Riviera Adventours
Ranked #8 of 372 Tours in Playa del Carmen
More attraction details
Owner description: Rejuvenate your body, clear your mind and lift your spirit when you reconnect with your senses while you join us as we explore the waters and jungle of the Riviera Maya. In which ever expedition you choose, you will have the opportunity to de-stress, reconnect with your senses and get into your element - it will be an experience of a lifetime that you will never forget! With over (31) years experience exploring the Yucatan Peninsula, our expeditions will give you the opportunity to get to know the wonderful Riviera Maya on a personal basis. We are a local small family business. We offer you private and or small group Expeditions. Our tours are a more rewarding and personal experience, including Small and/or Personal tours which include Swimming with the Turtles; swimming in a beautiful Natural Aquarium amongst a large variety of Tropical fish; a trip into the mysterious Mineral filled depths of one of the World's Largest Underground River and Cave Systems, Snorkeling in the Mesoamerican Coral Reef; visiting the ancient mystical and awe inspiring Tulum, Coba, Chichen Itza and Ek Balam Mayan ruins; or snorkel amongst the Whale Sharks for a surreal, once in a lifetime experience; immerse yourself within the peaceful and tranquil serenity of the Sian Ka'an Biosphere or visit the Flamingos at Rio Lagartos. All of our Expeditions include a minimum of four locations each (Most others are two locations for the same price), Fruit, Coffee and a Pastry in the morning, Snacks, Cold Beer, Water, Juice, Soft Drinks throughout the day, Lunch and Round-trip Air-conditioned Transportation and top notch dive quality snorkel equipment. Most of our tours include a (4) course meal at the World Famous “Oscar & Lalo Restaurant, Bar & Grill”. We can also provide you with a private or custom expedition for any of our tours and activities. We look forward to sharing this beautiful paradise with you and having an other Amazing day! Relax and let us be your guide!
Berkeley, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Really Fantastic.”
Reviewed February 12, 2014

I want to start off by saying that I've never written a review for anything before. But after this excursion, I told myself I would definitely review Riviera Adventours because I truly believe they deserve it. This was my second trip to the Cancun area, and I've done several tour packages before. This was definitely one of my favorites, and hands-down the best customer service! We chose to participate in the Extreme Expedition ($110/person) and added the Snorkeling with Sea Turtles and Coral Reef package for an extra $30 USD per person. Seriously worth every penny! The driver who picked us up at our hotel in the morning was cheerful, friendly, and offered us muffins, coffee, and bananas for breakfast. We picked up other guests along the way and were brought to the oceanside, where we met with our tour guide for the day, Francisco. He is incredibly nice, friendly, and makes you feel like a friend. Our first stop by the oceanside was to see the sea turtles and the coral reef. It was around 8 AM by the time we got into the water, and while I was not overjoyed to leave my hotel at 6 AM, it was totally worth it because it's best to see the sea turtles and the ocean life very early in the morning before all the other people start coming in the ocean. The first thing we saw when we began snorkeling in the water was a school of fish surrounding a giant barracuda! It was incredible! We saw countless sea turtles, fish, and swam with a pair of eagle rays! Definitely an amazing experience, and I highly recommend adding the Snorkeling with Sea Turtles option to your tour package. When we got back to the bus, Francisco offered us snacks, sodas, water, and Coronas. It was refreshing and prepared us for our next adventure. We went to Yal-ku Natural Aquarium Lagoon next, and arrived before it even opened. This was great, because we were the first guests in the Lagoon and were able to swim with a huge variety of tropical fish without anyone else there. The Lagoon is truly beautiful, and Francisco made it possible for us to have the best time possible. He took pictures, watched our belongings, and made sure our towels and sandals would be warm and dry by the time we were ready to leave. When we were there, apparently a huge school of sardines (saltwater fish) had found their way into the Lagoon (which is a mix of fresh and saltwater) and hadn't left yet because they realized they were safe from saltwater predators. Therefore, we had the unexpected pleasure of swimming in a school of literally thousands and thousands of sardines. It was amazing. Our third stop was the cenotes. While the day was warm, mid-70's, the underground rivers were much colder and Francisco gave us wetsuits to put on before we entered the cenote. Here I have to add some recognition to our driver. While I unfortunately do not remember his name, our driver was really, really nice. Not only was he extremely helpful, he was also very caring and made sure that all of us were having a great time. I really can't stress how great the customer service was on this tour. The cenotes were out of this world. It actually seemed like we were on another planet. If you haven't swam in the cenotes before, you have to try it. Snorkeling in the cenotes is less about seeing animals (although we did see some fish, freshwater shrimp, and bats!), and more about admiring the architecture of nature. Our last excursion was a park that offered ziplining, canoeing, and snorkeling in an open cenote (as opposed to the cenotes in underground caves). For those that do not want to zipline or canoe, there are hammocks to rest and relax. But I'm somewhat of a thrill-seeker, and I loved the ziplining experience. It was very safe, not at all scary, and it was awesome gliding over such beautiful scenery. We canoed around the lake and snorkeled in the open cenote - very different from an underground cenote! Francisco volunteered to take pictures of all of us ziplining, swimming, and cannonballing into the cenote. He got some great shots! After all the fun, we walked through a traditional Mayan village - some of the people who worked in the park also lived there in traditional Mayan style. It was really cool seeing their houses and lifestyle, and we even saw a giant iguana! After leaving the park, we arrived at Oscar and Lalo Restaurant, Bar & Grill. Really fantastic food. We were given options of tacos, fajitas, grouper (fish), or quesadillas. The meal also came with starters of soup, chips/guac/salsa, and ceviche. So delicious. They provided drinks, including a whole fresh coconut and a special drink called Chaya. I loved it! I chose grouper for my entree, and it was great. At first I thought it seemed like a small portion size, but I couldn't even finish it! My eyes were definitely bigger than my stomach. We chose flan for our dessert, and while I normally love flan, I'd never had flan like this. It was less of a tofu texture and more of a cheesecake texture. Really delicious. After we were all stuffed and content, we headed back into the bus and were dropped off at our hotel in Playa del Carmen. All in all, it was an unforgettable experience. This excursion will leave you with the best memories.

Visited January 2014
1 Thank Christine S

Cleveland, Ohio
“Amazing personalized excursion”
Reviewed February 12, 2014

This is our second year using Riviera Adventours and highly recommend them. Employees and spouses enjoyed a snorkeling adventure last year, so wanted RA to customize a zip line tour this year. They did not disappoint. We love that the activities and timeframe matches our schedule and the personalization they provide is excellent. They are easy to work with and will definitely use them again for future team outings.

Visited February 2014
East Berne, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Awesome Excursion, Don't Miss Out!”
Reviewed February 10, 2014

This was my 3rd visit to the Riviera Maya. I've done several excursions each time and this was by far the best. My husband and I opted for the Extreme Expedition and added Tulum. We got really lucky and were the only people on the tour for the day! (Based on other reviews, if you are not alone, groups are still kept very small). We were at Tulum right when it opened and saw the whole ruins with only a handful of people walking around the site. The ruins were absolutely beautiful, a must see! When we were leaving there were literally bus loads of people by the hundreds coming in. Our guide (Francisco) new exactly when to go to avoid the huge crowds. Our next stop was a breathtaking lagoon where we snorkeled with tons of beautiful fish. There was even a huge school of sardines which were so cool to swim through. Again, it was very quiet there, just a handful of other snorkelers. Our next stop was a cenote, Sac Actun. It was pretty far out in the jungle past the more popular cenote, Dos Ojos. We arrived just as another group was leaving and had the entire cenote all to ourselves. It was pretty magical. The Cenote was pretty big with tons of awesome formations. We got to see some of the jungle too. It was so cool, we really loved it. Next we went to a park where, you guessed it, we were the only ones there! We had zip lining, canoeing, and cliff jumping all to ourselves. Another beautiful place, and so much fun. Last but not least we went to Oscar and Lalo Restaurant where the owner of the tour company and restaurant, Virginia met us with open arms. She provided a gigantic spread of fantastic authentic Mayan/Mexican food. DELICIOUS. and to top it all off we got to meet and play with her pet spider monkey Lala. What a fantastic day. I can not say enough good things about this tour. If you want to see Mexico and do things unique to the beautiful Riviera Maya this is the way to go! They know where and when to take you to avoid the crowds. Perfect for couples and families. Our guide Francisco was fabulous. Friendly, knowledgeable and took tons of picture of us at each location! Invest in a waterproof camera, well worth it for the great pictures you can have. Thank You for such a fabulous time!

Visited January 2014
Sacramento, CA
42 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 57 helpful votes
“a wonderful day for a hesitant adventurer”
Reviewed February 9, 2014

First of all I am not comfortable in the water but my husband is a great swimmer. I wanted to see everything that the Extreme Tolum adventure tour offered but thought that I might be sitting on the shore while he enjoyed the water.
Wrong! We were picked up at our hotel on time and taken to meet our guide, Francisco. This guy is great - very calm, very encouraging, and he has all the equipment one could possibly need. Since I am not a good swimmer I was given a life vest and another floating device (like lifeguards use). With that I was off to enjoy the ocean, the cenotes and the lagoon, the bat cave, the cliff jump, and the zip-line. It was a great day and I was so proud of myself for doing everything. Francisco made changes to the itinerary due to strong ocean currents but always explained why. One suggestion: a tour guide at Tolum would have been good. There are small signs at the different buildings, but a person giving the tour would have been better.
Like other reviews have mentioned, use email to contact the owners - the phone doesn't seem to work as well. We had to do several emails to get all the details but that seems a minor problem now. The lunch at Oscar and Layla was good and we got to interact with Virginia's spider monkey. All in all a fantastic day of adventures that I will never forget. Use this tour company - you will be so happy that you did!

Visited February 2014
Indianapolis
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Amazing day in coba”
Reviewed February 9, 2014

I searched through a lot of tour guides before settling on this one and we were not disappointed. We had an amazing day with Virginia and her team. We loved the coba ruin and it was amazing to be able to climb to the top. The views were unbelievable. We then visited a small Mayan village which was great to see some history. Had lunch at oscars and Lola's for the perfect genuine Mexican cuisine. We were hoping to snorkel with the sea turtles but it was too rough so Virginia took us to a small inlet and I have to say we snorkel a lot throughout the Caribbean and I have never seen so many fish in my life there. I could've snorkeled all day! We will definitely book another trip with Virginia!

Visited December 2013