“Warm welcome and lovely food!”
Review of Curry Omm

Curry Omm
Reserve with OpenTable
Curry Omm is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #162 of 1,258 Restaurants in Playa del Carmen
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Romantic, Kids, Families with children, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Delivery, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: AV aviacion y 3 sur
Transit: Taxi
Description: We are a small Indian restaurant in Playa, the only one offering a selection of Authentic Indian vegetarian and meat dishes, from Bombay Aloo & Dhal to Chicken Tikka Masala & Lamb Vondaloo. Open Monday to Saturday from 5.00 To 9.20 Pm Please NOTE: We will be closed from Aug 20th to Sep 29th. We will reopen on Sep 30th at 5.0pm.
Brighton
“Warm welcome and lovely food!”
Reviewed April 13, 2013 via mobile

Having been in Mexico for over a week, we were missing Indian spices. This lovely, small restaurant was the perfect answer. The authentic Indian food was well priced and well spicy! Mains with rice for around 100 pesos, traditional Indian lemonade for 25 pesos. The owner was extremely welcoming and attentive.

• Visited April 2013

• Hebrew first
Toronto, Canada
“Authentic Indian Cuisine”
Reviewed March 29, 2013

The food was fantastic and the service was even better. I would recommend this to anyone who is looking for something different.

• Visited March 2013
Castro Valley, CA
“Best restaurant (Indian or otherwise) in Playa Del Carmen”
Reviewed March 27, 2013

That subject line is not an exaggeration. My wife Sue and I had the pleasure of dining at Curry Omm during an early-March belated honeymoon. The owners, Harish and Claudia, could not have been more generous and welcoming hosts. And I'm not just saying that because Harish used to work with my coworker Beth's husband :)
We can say without hesitation that the cuisine at Curry Omm was the absolute finest Indian food my wife and I have ever enjoyed. Harish was kind enough to recommend some appetizers and entrees to share, including the onion bhaji and butter chicken. The gulam jaman for dessert was delicious and a wonderful concluding chapter to the meal. Our only regret was not being able to return before our trip was over, as we moved down the coast to Akumal before returning to the States.
My wife and I cannot recommend this restaurant highly enough. Do yourself a favor and bypass the lackluster Mexican restaurants on bustling 5th Ave, and enjoy a wonderful dinner at Curry Omm!

• Visited March 2013
“Indian food in Cancun”
Reviewed March 19, 2013 via mobile

Surprise to see an Indian restaurant in Playa Del Carmen. The owners is of Indian Orgin. Pleasent place, but to small. I am if Indian Orgin, so I know what the food should of tasted like. First of all the Nann/Roti bread is premade probably shipped from US. It is not fresh and not from the tandoor. The food, in my opnion is premade with commercially available sauces in the US. It is just heated in the resturant. The food lacks freshness and flavour. The service is fast. The host is pleasant. The place is clean. But if you are a foodie, you will be disappointed. It's the only Indian restaurant around, so no compition. I found the food rather sweet, more like Gujrati food. It is a good attempt but I think the food needs to improve. This place is great for those who have not tasted Indian before.

1 Thank Shiv S
Curry O, Owner at Curry Omm, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Dear Shiv
Thank you for taking the time to write a review for Curry Omm, we appreciate all comments that will help us and future patrons of Curry Omm.

Though you were surprised to see an Indian restaurant in Playa, it is with great challenges that we manage to run an Indian place without having all the ingredients readily available, we source our spices from various countries like Panama, Belize and Guatemala to make our curry sauces.

I recall speaking with you personally and mentioned I was from Gujarat and you were from East India and as vast is India, the food is even more different from state to state and by region, accordingly, our food will have a North Indian influence, which may not be to every Indians expectation as you grew up in a different part!

We do not import breads or sauces from anywhere, they are freshly made here and if you felt your meal was a little mild, I could have given you some additional sauce to spice it up. Sadly, people don’t wish to tell us at the time, despite me coming to your table a few times to check if everything was fine, when things could be fixed. But instead, they comment after leaving and giving us no chance to fix the issue at the time!

We want ALL our customer’s visit to Curry Omm to be a great culinary experience, regardless of where they come from, we thrive on providing excellent service and food to match and that is also the reason for keeping our restaurant small and personal, so each and every customer gets the attention they deserve. We value the opinions of those that visit tripadvisor and we work hard to keep a top rating!

We will take on your comments and endeavor to improve, thank you once again.
Ambergris Caye, Belize
“Great Meal”
Reviewed March 17, 2013

As a fan of East Indian food I just had to stop by Curry Omm to enjoy a good meal whilst in Playa. Service was fast though the restaurant was full and food was very good. I would certainly recommend it for those that want to try something a little different when in Playa.

Visited March 2013