“What happened?”

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Columbus, Ohio
“What happened?”
Reviewed August 17, 2013

After eating at Kool Fish two years ago, I was very excited about eating there again this trip because it was such a GREAT experience. However, I'm sad to say that it just was not the same restaurant. Everyone was very enthusiastic when we arrived and through the ordering process, but when the food came it was visually unappealing and the entire wait staff stood together talking and laughing. Based on this years experience I would not come back. Sorry to say that it's just not the same place...

• Visited August 2013

los angeles
“Great seafood at poco prices!”
Reviewed July 25, 2013

Just returned from 4 weeks in Playa...
Kool Fish is right around the corner from my sister's vacation home and we made it a point to eat there the first night we arrived.
We treated ourselves to the mixed seafood (crab legs, scallops, mussels, clams, shrimp) baked in a white wine butter sauce poured into a fresh half pineapple "bowl", covered in melted Gouda cheese.
Normally, I would avoid eating any seafood with cheese on it, but it was described so well on the menu, as well as by our waiter, we couldn't resist it!
When it arrived (promptly I might add), it looked even yummier than it sounded!
Devoured immediately, we went home with vision of seafood baked in pineapple dancing in our heads, looking forward to our next "before we go back home" visit!
Sadly for us, we didn't make it back, as there are just too many amazing restaurants in Playa to pass up, but one thing is for sure...when we return in October, our first stop will be Kool Fish for dinner!

Fort Collins CO
“Excellent Seafood in Playa!”
Reviewed July 23, 2013

I just returned from a month long visit to Playa del Carmen with my family. During our stay, we visited Kool Fish seafood restaurant on north 5th avenue (north of calle 38 on 5th). The restaruant had interior and street side tables and an inviting atmosphere. The guacamole appetizer was huge and very fresh. The sauces that accompanied the chips were excellent. The menu was large and expansive and included non-seafood items (great steak) as well. I had a grouper with garlic and lemon sauce. The fish was delicious and a generouls portion. My husband had the Seafood stuffed Pineapple -- it was a half of a pineapple (cut lenghtwise) and filled with shrimp, fish, scallops, octopus, calamari and crab -- INCREDIBLE. My daughter had hte coconut shrimp and could barely finish them they were so huge and such a generous portion. Unlike many places on 5th Ave, the drink prices were very reasonable ($4.75 for a maragrita, $4 for my wine) and very good. I highly reccommed making the trek to norht 5th Avenue and this restaurant. (PS -- all the restaurants at this end are fab)

• Visited July 2013
“Not Fancy But Delicious”
Reviewed July 16, 2013

I had read the reviews on TA and wanted to go to this restaurant. When we walked by, my husband said that he didn't want to eat there because there weren't any customers. We went somewhere else that night. The next evening, we went by again and it was still pretty empty, but we went in anyway. I am so glad that we did. First of all we had excellent salsa - one made from habanero that really was hot. My husband ordered the fried whole fish. They brought out a couple of super fresh looking fish for him to choose from. He loved his fish.I had the lobster fettucine. I really enjoyed the pasta dish. It was very flavorful. I will definitely go to this restaurant again.

Playa del Carmen, Mexico
“Used to be better”
Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I used to love this place. Not anymore. First, they only serve tacos before 6:00 pm. We went today and the service was slow (30 minutes for 4 tacos?!), the tacos were bland and had no taste, the shrimp was dry, overfried/overcooked, and there was even a guy smoking inside (not allowed by Mexican laws). Won't be coming back